WestJet Airlines

WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews in Canada

Culture of FEAR
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 27, 2016
Do not believe the hype. This is not the Happy Ever After that people talk about. Santa would be dropping a few lumps of coal and not Big Screen TVs. Management has little to no understanding of what goes on, or how to actually manage. Support for fellow co workers is laughable. Favorites are chosen for all new positions and advancement oppertunities go to those that best serve the needs of decision makers. Leadership is kept in the dark and blinded by large payouts. Those that try to bring about change are the first to be pushed out the door and those left behind either cheer for the continued painful changes or are scared to lose what they quietly think is unacceptable. Work rules favor the corporation and are beyond unsafe, fatigue for Pilots and Cabin Crew is a big concern however if you actually call in too tired to work you are given a written warning and threatened. No concideration for the assets, tho they are human, is given while the company uses the cheapest "solutions" for scheduling and pay. Benefits continue to get squeezed and if anyone says anything they are blacklisted and next to be "written up". Sad place to spend the years I did, here's hoping no one else makes the same mistake. Follow your dreams, not the exploitation and segregation that WestJet Offers.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Unsafe Work Conditions
Fast paced and fun environment
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 9, 2016
I have had the privelige of working for this amazing company for the past decade and cannot imagine my life without them. I've learned so much about human behaviour, air travel and how to connect and communicate with those around me. I'm treated with the utmost respect and appreciation by my management team and I feel very lucky to be such an important part of our success.
Pros
Celebrating Success
Cons
long days/nights
Management needs a change
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2016
WestJet used to be a great place to work. When management still cared about their employees and actually supported the employees. The company has gotten too big too quick and the happiness that used to be going to work is no longer there.
Pros
Travel, health benefits, salary
Cons
management
Attitude is Everything!
Guest Services Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ONMarch 23, 2016
My current position is a Monday - Friday, 9-5 which I enjoy very much.
I get along well on a team or working alone.

I love working with Retirement & seniors.
My management team is great!

The only reason I would leave this company is to move up to a better role, & learn more.

Get work done & have fun while doing it!
Treat everyone how you want to be treated.
Living The Dream
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMarch 9, 2016
A typical workk day includes great conversation with my team and guests in a comfortable, condident environment. I have learned to communicate with anyone and everyone and to problem solve professionally and quicly in high stress situations. I can manage my time well and work effectively with my team as well as unsupervised. My co-workers are a lot of fun and we all share the same goals, providing superior customer service and safetly performing on time. The hardest part of my job is problem solving with difficult people, however, I enjoy it and am successful at it...9 times out of 10...The most enjoyable part of my job is a succesful turn with happy guest and happy co-workers.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Cut Backs and Salary Freeze
Fun
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work was checking in guests for flights, helping with flights, bridging aircrafts. I learned how to really deal with people and how much fun you can have at a workplace. My management team I found unsupportive which is why I left. My coworkers were amazing! The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who you couldn't help due to flight schedule, when someone had died and they couldn't get a flight out. That was heartbreaking. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting a lot of new people and having fun!
Amazing place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Moved away so had to resign. Best place I have ever worked!!!
Would go back in a second! You bid on the hours you want and the hours are really flexible if you pick right.
Pros
Friends, bonuses, shares, and travel
Cons
long shifts
Welcoming Corporate Culture
Advisor, Occupational Health & Safety (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 8, 2015
WestJet's corporate culture stands out as cohesive and positive. Every organization has their highs and lows in regards to company moral but I've been honoured and enlightened to experience and to contribute to WestJet's culture as we overcame poor moral challenges.
Great progressive company culture that cares and feels like a family with one mission
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2015
- WestJet is a canadian top employer offering lots of opportunity to move and develop yourself as an employee
- Built on Excellent core values hiring for fit and training for skill!
- Profitable company that shares profits with it's employees (Owners) twice per year.
- Great travel benefits
- Fun place to work
- Growing and expanding company, Europe 2016
- Great culture to be a part of makes you proud to work there
- They truly do care about you as an individual and the company invests in you which makes you want to give back and do as much as you can to see it succeed.
- it can get tough working in airports, shift work, long hours at times, accommodating weather delays and a variety of emotions from the guests. But it's an opportunity to shine and treat others as you would want to be treated! You are empowered to think on your own feet because your interests are aligned with the company's through ownership and simple caring.
- I very much valued my experience with this company and still feel a part of it now.
Pros
Benefits, Travel, Profit Share, Flexible hours, lots of variety to grow, expanding company, great culture that values its people
Cons
shift work depending on what department, time away from home, must put in the time to earn your way to advancement, hard to get hired as it's a popular place to work
just having fun at work and make new friends
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
just typical day at work have fun .have fun at work make new friend with coworker and ,, don't worry abot working take easy working with the hardest time at work taking care and part of the job and enjoy the time at work and take easy
amazing co workers great benefits shift work.
Baggage service agent (Current Employee) –  calgary international airportOctober 10, 2015
Amazing Job fun place to work at times supportive management.Decent amount of red tape and politics that is expected with a small comapny that is now grown to international proportions. Shift work is hard. to be honest and not fo rthe faint of heart. as the business is a 24 hour operation.
Pros
flight benefits.
The life of a Flight Attendant
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 28, 2015
Such an incredible experience. If you love to travel, see new places and meet new people then this is the job for you. You don't typically have that boss over your shoulder although we do hold one another accountable, you are given the empowerment to make those decisions yourself and with your fellow crew members.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the many days away from home, long work days especially in winter with many delays. But because the job itself is so rewarding with 150/days of work per year as FULL TIME and unlimited travel benefits to use during the other 215 DAYS OFF during the year, what more could you ask for!

Your coworkers make the job just that much more enjoyable, so friendly and personable you spend the day starting out as strangers, but becoming the best of friends and it makes you feel as if you aren't even at work !
Pros
Incredible overnight opportunities, never repeat the same day, meet new coworkers daily, bond with your crew members instantaneously, see new places
Cons
Sometimes long days or many days away from home, delays, unruly passengers or potential emergency situations at 40 000ft
positive team culture
Flight (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Although I was unsuccessful with Flight Attendant training, I was impressed every day with the Company's support as well as every member of the training team. The showed how they enjoyed their work, but truly believed in their expended family at WestJet.
Pros
discounted flights, employee support
Cons
being away from home for extended periods of time.
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 21, 2015
WestJet is a great place to work and wage and benefits are great. Where I work in Hamilton we do not have many flights so we do not get a lot of hours and they are split shifts.
Pros
wage, benefits, esp plan
Cons
split shifts, lack of hours
overall was good experience
customer service agent (Current Employee) –  calgarySeptember 17, 2015
really tight on front line staff more linear on upper level,but really good benefits so far i got ever worked for any company
A great job to learn to deal with the public
Multiple Roles and Titles Held (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2015
On a perfect day this is a company where you can truly have fun and build close friendships. When things start to get challenging (delays, cancellations, etc.) you can truly find out what you are made of. You may face unreasonable hostile travellers and you may not have the manpower to help you out of a bind but this job does help you build thick skin. This job is not for everyone but if you are a true team-player it can be rewarding. If you can not handle consistent change this is not the job for you.
Very busy and fun people to work with
Held Various Postions (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 2, 2015
I held various positions within WestJet.

I enjoyed having the opportunity to work in various departments.

Everyday I learned something new. Everything from how to handle an upset guest to putting tags on guests bags.

My team members were so much fun to work with and also very helpful when I had questions.

I enjoyed dealing with the guests
Pros
meeting famous people
Cons
some unhappy guests
Amazing place to work
Customer Service Agent, Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 30, 2015
Such a great work environment, people are carefully selected to fit the culture of Westjet and that is what makes it such a great place to work! Loved working with Westjet!
Efficient and fun
Experience support facilitator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 18, 2015
Co-workers and managers are open minded, very pleasant. Every body kind of has the same language as we are all always talking about our last and next trip.

Managers are supportive and promote and encourage employees personal growth.
Pros
Employee profit share and owner performance recongnition
Cons
Unsteady work schedule
An amazing place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  toronto, onJuly 13, 2015
An amazing place to work, WestJet has an outstanding culture and reward they're employees constantly. Management understands and brings the team together.
Pros
profit share
Cons
irops

4.2