WestJet Airlines

WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews

Great progressive company culture that cares and feels like a family with one mission
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2015
- WestJet is a canadian top employer offering lots of opportunity to move and develop yourself as an employee
- Built on Excellent core values hiring for fit and training for skill!
- Profitable company that shares profits with it's employees (Owners) twice per year.
- Great travel benefits
- Fun place to work
- Growing and expanding company, Europe 2016
- Great culture to be a part of makes you proud to work there
- They truly do care about you as an individual and the company invests in you which makes you want to give back and do as much as you can to see it succeed.
- it can get tough working in airports, shift work, long hours at times, accommodating weather delays and a variety of emotions from the guests. But it's an opportunity to shine and treat others as you would want to be treated! You are empowered to think on your own feet because your interests are aligned with the company's through ownership and simple caring.
- I very much valued my experience with this company and still feel a part of it now.
Pros
Benefits, Travel, Profit Share, Flexible hours, lots of variety to grow, expanding company, great culture that values its people
Cons
shift work depending on what department, time away from home, must put in the time to earn your way to advancement, hard to get hired as it's a popular place to work
Great Place to work for even Seniors
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2012
I worked for WestJet for 11.5 years and it has to be the best company I have ever worked for.

My morning generally started off with greeting my co- workers with a Tims Coffee.

My job discription was ensuring all the Flight Operations manuals are updated and all Maintenance personnel have access to the Boeing Fleet on the computer. My job is very unique and not a common field.

The hardest part of my job is making sure all the bases within WestJet have all their manuals on line or in paper are all current according to Transport Canda Regulations.

As for the most enjoyable part, well just having a job that when I woke up in the morning I didn't regret going out in the cold to go to work as I really enjoy my job. After 11.5 years of doing the same job just having it computerized made it even more enjoyable

WestJet gave me the opportunity to take courses to help make my job easier with all the new programs I was encuring

My feelings of WestJet is they treat every employee like family because that is what WestJet is all about, family.

My only reason for retiring from WestJet was due to a medical problem (cancer) but now that I'm cured I would be more then happy to work for WestJet again if the opportuinity ever arose.
Pros
bbq's, stampede party, upgrade courses
Cons
no base in nanaimo
The life of a Flight Attendant
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 28, 2015
Such an incredible experience. If you love to travel, see new places and meet new people then this is the job for you. You don't typically have that boss over your shoulder although we do hold one another accountable, you are given the empowerment to make those decisions yourself and with your fellow crew members.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the many days away from home, long work days especially in winter with many delays. But because the job itself is so rewarding with 150/days of work per year as FULL TIME and unlimited travel benefits to use during the other 215 DAYS OFF during the year, what more could you ask for!

Your coworkers make the job just that much more enjoyable, so friendly and personable you spend the day starting out as strangers, but becoming the best of friends and it makes you feel as if you aren't even at work !
Pros
Incredible overnight opportunities, never repeat the same day, meet new coworkers daily, bond with your crew members instantaneously, see new places
Cons
Sometimes long days or many days away from home, delays, unruly passengers or potential emergency situations at 40 000ft
Able to turn a dream into reality
Manager, Emergency Response (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
I started my job at WestJet as Trainer for their Special Assistance Team (SAT) training - teaching employees how to help passengers in the event of an airplane accident or incident. The program was quite new when I joined the company, and I was able to grow it from less than 50 trained to over 3,000. After approximately one year, I was promoted to Emergency Response Manager, which included not only the SAT training, but also the emergency preparedness for the airline. I set up trained personnel in each of the Canadian WestJet bases, and ensured they were well trained in ER procedures and kep their base personnel up to date and ready. I coordinated and conducted mock training exercises and wrote programs for recurrent training. The hardest part of the job was turning off my brain and sleeping at night. I learned how to be an effective leader and excellent training facilitator. My team became very important to one another, and I enjoyed their input and effort so much. I was happy to accept the President's Award for Excellence.
Pros
Ability to develop and expand program
Cons
Many hours away from home
I worked with a great team
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2013
My typical day consisted of doing job analysis, meeting with clients ie: hiring managers or directors, creating interview guides, resume searches, conducting pre-screen interviews, one on one interviews, reference checking. I could easily do all or just some of this in a day. I also notified non hires as well as doing job offers and negotiating salaries. Worked very closely with compensation and benefits team to create a fair compensation package for new hires. I learned how to put a comp and ben package together as well as how to look and hire the right person for each position I hired for. I loved working with my clients and meeting new people. I also loved the fact that I was able to travel throughout Canada doing on site interviews and job fairs. The people on my team were always willing to lend a hand and were just a great bunch of people to work with. I had a fantastic management team that allowed me to grow, learn and pursue my education.
Pros
travel!!
Cons
A fun and friendly work place.
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2013
An amazing place to work with amazing people and wonderful company benefits. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and to learn new skills. Working in the call center involves taking incoming calls from guests and travel agents and making flight reservations and/or vacation package bookings. There is a support line available for escalated calls and floor walkers to answer questions. The Managers listen to concerns and book one on ones when appropriate and when challenges arise they are dealt with efficiently. The scheduling can be difficult and it is hard to plan your life outside of work sometimes, but the scheduling team is flexible in helping out. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with the guests and making a difference in someones day.
Pros
excellent travel, stock options
Cons
uncertain scheduling
WestJet is a fun, friendly, caring Company with priority to safety for both Guests and Employees
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AMFebruary 10, 2013
Greeting Guests and helping them with luggage tags
Helping and caring for our Guests from Departure to Destination.
Applying First Aid at 40,000 feet in the air.
I have learned to be positive and passionate in everything I do.
Management had the open door policy always approachable.
As co-workers we worked as a team helping one another at all times.
The 2 hardest parts of my work, was caring for a terminialy sick guest in flight.
The other was leaving such a wonderful group of people.
The most enjoyable part of my job was going to work everyday, as everyday was a new and different day.
Pros
friendly people, cheap airfare and hotels.
Cons
being away from home so much and many times minimum crew rests.
Fun and exciting environment
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 5, 2012
Culturally driven, Westjet maintains a strong International record of employee satisfaction and is one of the 50 best places to work in Canada, according to the Globe and Mail. Airport employees are tasked to provide numerous customer service based duties, including front-desk service, gate/plane guest de-planement and en-planement, and special guest welfare. This is an exciting place to learn abut the service industry and a great place long-term for people with second incomes.
Pros
great place to learn people skills, quality training, diverse work environment
Cons
low pay, inconsistant work schedule
Don't plan to use travel perks? Don't work here.
GUEST SERVICE AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2014
Every employee here will agree with the title statement.

You must pay your dues and work entry level at near-to minimum wage. Probation is 6 months. Cannot apply for any opportunities until you've been working for 6 months. Basic employee perks until you've hit 6 months experience as well.

While you can trade shifts, you will never get something consistent you can rely on to make a second work with without a lot of effort.
Pros
travel discount can be massive when flying standby, $20 to vegas, for eg.
Cons
shift lengths vary from one extreme to another.
A great job to learn to deal with the public
Multiple Roles and Titles Held (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2015
On a perfect day this is a company where you can truly have fun and build close friendships. When things start to get challenging (delays, cancellations, etc.) you can truly find out what you are made of. You may face unreasonable hostile travellers and you may not have the manpower to help you out of a bind but this job does help you build thick skin. This job is not for everyone but if you are a true team-player it can be rewarding. If you can not handle consistent change this is not the job for you.

Want to know more about WestJet Airlines?

Ask a question
Fun
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work was checking in guests for flights, helping with flights, bridging aircrafts. I learned how to really deal with people and how much fun you can have at a workplace. My management team I found unsupportive which is why I left. My coworkers were amazing! The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who you couldn't help due to flight schedule, when someone had died and they couldn't get a flight out. That was heartbreaking. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting a lot of new people and having fun!
Very busy and fun people to work with
Held Various Postions (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 2, 2015
I held various positions within WestJet.

I enjoyed having the opportunity to work in various departments.

Everyday I learned something new. Everything from how to handle an upset guest to putting tags on guests bags.

My team members were so much fun to work with and also very helpful when I had questions.

I enjoyed dealing with the guests
Pros
meeting famous people
Cons
some unhappy guests
Westjet Summary
Sales Super Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2014
I worked as an at home SSA agent. A typical day at work is done in the comfort of your home. The flight benefits are awesome, and working from home is convenient, although it does get lonely sometimes if you're like me and enjoy socializing. The hardest part of the job is the salary - it is lower, but perhaps the flight benefits are Westjet's way of making up for small paycheques.
Pros
flight benefits
Cons
low salary
Fun, exciting, passionate and positive.
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioApril 8, 2014
WestJet is an amazing company to be a part of. Everyone shares a common goal and that is to enrich the lives of everyone in WestJet's world by providing safe, friendly and affordable air travel. It's a different day everyday and definitely has it's perks.
Pros
travelling, meeting different from all over the world, fast paced, lifestyle career
Cons
high pressure, unusual hours
fun and fast paced work place
Flight attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 16, 2014
over the years I found working at WestJet really enjoyable. People and the culture are amazing. Benefits are great, pay is average for an airline. Hours can be everywhere but you can choose weather you would like to work in the am or pm. Meeting new people and helping others is a big part, so you really have to be a people person.
Pros
benefits, room for growth.
Cons
too busy at times. stressful.
Great people, but advancement is hard to come by
Bilingual Super Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 30, 2012
The flight benefits alone give this company a huge boost. Sadly, it doesn't fully even out the extreme difficulty with which to find advancement, both career and otherwise. It was also unbelievably micro-managed, to the point where an unfortunately timed bathroom trip could lead to reprimand
Pros
profit share, flight benefits
Cons
micro managed
IT Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Westjet is a fun place to work. Nice team environmet and great chance to interact with peer co-workers.

This company has great employee benefit plans as well as a friendly culture.

While working at the Helpdesk I was able to work with supervision with the opportunity to engage in few projects outside the service desk team.
Pros
Employees benefits
Cons
Opportunities to growth
Fun and friendly atmosphere
Avionics Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
A great place to work where one grows professionally and would like to retire from. What makes it the best company is the manpower which is very satisfied and welcoming to the newcomers. I recommend this organization to anyone who wants to enjoy their work.
Pros
fun, flexible and very supportive environment
Cons
only one company like that in aviation canada
Amazing Culture
Customer Service Agent, Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 9, 2013
A typical day with WestJet always starts out with laughs! From the moment you walk into the door to when you leave its filled with fun and you are surrounded by amazing people! Lots of support from co-workers and management, amazing culture and high focus of guest satisfaction!
Pros
fun, culture, exciting, support
Cons
early morning start times!
amazing co workers great benefits shift work.
Baggage service agent (Current Employee) –  calgary international airportOctober 10, 2015
Amazing Job fun place to work at times supportive management.Decent amount of red tape and politics that is expected with a small comapny that is now grown to international proportions. Shift work is hard. to be honest and not fo rthe faint of heart. as the business is a 24 hour operation.
Pros
flight benefits.

4.3