WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews

Our corporate culture
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 July 2017
One of the founding principles of WestJet's corporate culture is that we take care of our people as well as if not better than our guests, so they can better take care of our business.

This virtue has been exchanged for corporate greed, one that has seen the executives salary increased by as much as 40% while cutting frontline worker's jobs and freezing wages during what our executives have labeled as difficult economic times.

Under our current CEO we have seen the unionization of our pilot group and soon to be flight attendants and Customer Service Agents as well as our ground staff.

5 years ago this was unthinkable; we all were protectors of our company culture. Now a majority of employees are unsure of their future and the promise of opportunities in our once great corporate experiment.
Pros
Excellent opportunities abound for executives.
Cons
Forget about advancement, wage increases, and recognition for frontline employees.
Employed in Technical Operations
Maintenance Programs Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2017
- Demanding workload, but good benefits and compensation.
- Reactive management style
- Job objective can change daily based on emergency requirements
Pros
Flight benefits, profit sharing, employee share purchase plan
Cons
Poor oportunities for advancement, and lateral movement
Good group of people
Customer Service Representative\ (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON19 July 2017
Great culture, good people. Not a lot of room for advancement, difficult shifts. a lot of perks for travel lovers and people looking to explore canada.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Bad shifts
overall good enviorment
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Good place to work, does not pay enough for how hard they work you. at the airport its a lot of shift work as well as great responsiblity for close to minimum wage
Westjet TAC Crew
Crew Chief (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2017
Fun job
Easy work
Good work out
Fun people to work with
Good flight benefits
Good medical benefits
Salary could be a bit better for how well we do our job- good SPOT, bag ratio, etc
Great working atmosphere
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
good teamwork where people care about each other, the management and leaderships are very supportive, they have open door policy and very transparent about any changes within the company
Productive fun
Technical Records Controller (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2017
Excellent work culture focused on work/life balance and employee satisfaction. it has a fun and dynamic office culture. Management style focuses on the work that is being done, and doesnt micro manages.
Fun, Flexible, Incredible Benefits
Flight Attendant, Canada's favourite airline (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2017
An incredible employer, above all other airlines. The benefits are peerless, with the opportunity to put a portion of your wage into to the share program - great way to save and grow money! Travel the world with like minded people and have plenty of time off.
Pros
Travel, Culture, Wage, Lifestyle, very flexible
Cons
Sometimes long hours, up to five days away from home at a time, abnormal schedule/eating/sleeping can be hard on the body
Good people to work with
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary Airport9 June 2017
Great company but needs a lot of work in the management department. Not all the right people in the right positions in managements, less then desirable. Next to no experience in management skills, therefore regular employees and guests don't benefit from it
Pros
Great benefits
Very disappointed
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB8 June 2017
I started At westjet about 4 weeks ago, my performance was great, my attendance was excellent and I gave my 100% every day!
I did my first 2 test and I did great on them both in the 90's.

On my 3rd week our instructor changed our seating and i was place at a computer that was having a lot of issues.
I told my instructor and she had a look at it but nothing else was done to fix the problem.

All week I was not able to complete any practise on that computer, i would start my bookings and i would get strange errors.

I still tried very hard and came in early/Stayed late to make sure I did great like I did to begin with.

My 3rd test I failed and we get 1 rewrite and I failed again by not many points but obviously if I would have had a working computer i would Have never failed in the first place.

If you will hire staff make sure all equipment needed is working for all staff.
Pros
Flight benefits and the staff are nice.
Cons
Malfunctioning equipment
Fun Environment
Recruiter II (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 June 2017
- Growing organization

- Fun place to work

- Good benefits

- Great place to learn the value of customer service

- Great Profit Sharing bonus twice a year
Nice people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2017
WestJet is a fun place to work with lots of nice coworkers. Days can have their challenging moments when flights are cancelled but overall there are processes in place to help make things better.
Pros
Employee Share Purchase Program / Cheap Flights
Cons
Early Shifts
Great culture!!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC and Abbotsford, BC4 June 2017
I loved working as a CSA in both Victoria and Abbotsford. (2001 - 2005?) Difficulty was the rate of pay, wished I could have stayed there longer. Great training and support and obviously a very successful airline. Thanks WestJet!!!!
Pros
Culture and guest service focus
Cons
Low pay
CEO has destroyed the fun and the once admired culture of WJ
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2017
Flight Attendants are incredibly undervalued at this company, and there are no black/white work rules to protect against fatigue daily work-work duties.
Pros
cheap flights and time off
Cons
work 10-14hr days, and only get paid for half the hours, Only enough time for 5-6hrs of sleep some nights. No senoirity.
Great work culture and benefits.
Airsupply agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 May 2017
Fun workplace and meeting diverse people .
Flight benefits are great and work place very flexible.
The hardest part is because its an airline you work at many different hours.
Pros
flight benefits
Cons
shift work
Politics
Customer Service/Baggage Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON22 May 2017
All management is looking out for themselves and don't want to hear the any feedback from frontline workers. But pay is ok after you put in your time and flight benefits is a nice bonus. Biggest problem is management and the willingness to change to make frontline workers job more productive.
Amazing and Fun Place to work
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
I love working for this company however the shift work is difficult for family life.

Easy going environment, fun group of people to work with.

Given every tool and course required to complete your job.

Safety standard is top notch.
Pros
Fligths
Cons
Night shift
Fun and flexible
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Westjet airlines8 May 2017
Traveling, meeting and greeting guests is a part of an everyday flight at Westjet. Ensuring that guests not only have a great customer service experience, but most importantly that they arrive safely at their destinations. I have learned that kindness comes a long way, especially because traveling could be quite tiring for everyone. The management at Wesjet is excellent, and I feel well taken care of as an employee. The hardest part of this job for me is the constant changes of schedules. It's hard on the body and the body rhythms, however what I enjoy the most is relaxing in a sunny destination, and meeting amazing crews and guests along the way.
Pros
sunny layovers
Cons
long hours at times, away from home
One of the best places to work in Canada....
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2017
A truly great company to work for. Amazing bosses and co - workers. Great shifts such as 5 on 5 off. Company matched profit sharing up to 20 %. If you get the opportunity to work there , Take It...
Pros
Fun and casual.
Cons
None taht I can think of....
Quality Mentor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
I really loved working at WestJet. They treated me very kindly and gave me a lot of great experiences. I would spend my time mentoring agents who were having difficulties learning the call centre agent duties and procedures.