Westin Hotels and Resorts

Westin Hotels and Resorts Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Management doesn't know you exist
Barista/Cashier/Hostess/Server (Former Employee), Westin Memorial CityMarch 14, 2014
Pros: benefits, but was not made aware i had a deadline to enroll, so i didn't get them anyway
Cons: too many to name, mostly poor management
The location I worked at suffered greatly from lackluster, disinterested management. The hotel manager wouldn't even make eye contact with me or return a simple hello. He'd bring the executive staff in for drinks at the bar during peak hours and knowing that there was a 30+ person event planned, AND the venue was understaffed. I received very poor and – more... severely inadequate training and forced to work in three different venues. My day off requests were ignored on multiple occasions, mostly due to a lack of staff and cross-training.

Six months after I was hired, they finally hired a director of restaurants who was very disparaging and spoke to staff with no tact or consideration, and without taking the time to learn why things were being done in a certain manner. The director of restaurants had no regard for guests when the hotel manger was dining (or drinking), everyone was expected to stop what they were doing and bend over backwards to please the hotel manager.

The supervisor in the "we proudly serve" venue called out "sick" NUMEROUS times during my short tenure. After I submitted my two weeks noticed she called out 4 more times. She would make the schedule to most benefit herself, and again deny my day off requests. If there was an event scheduled that required us the be open longer than normal, she NEVER worked more than her usual shift, and forced the rest of the staff to work 12 hour days so she could go home early. We couldn't even get a simple bathroom break or clock out for a lunch break because there was no one trained to cover the venue. When we were busy, the supervisor disappeared for hours to "check her emails."

After I brought this up with management and HR they did NOTHING about it. An obvious case of either very poor management or nepotism. (At the time of this review she is still supervisor, so beware potential baristas, you're life will be scheduled around a lazy, self-centered, entitled supervisor)

Furthermore, when I applied for a department transfer to service express, I interviewed and was told they'd get back with me after Christmas (in 3 weeks). After Christmas I was told they were re-hiring someone else, although I learned this later was not true, and then the Front Desk/Service Express management just ignored me. It was at that point I had enough. My last day there I heard from another employee that were finally talking about hiring me, unaware that more than a month after I applied for the job I was going elsewhere. – less
WE HAVE AMOUNT OF WINES FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRIES
FOOD AND BEVERAGE ATTENDANT (Current Employee), HYDERABADMarch 13, 2014
Cons: i use to work for 12 to 14 hours per day
THE WESTIN HOTELS IS THE LEADING COMPANY IN HYDERABAD. I FEEL THIS PLACE WHERE I HAVE ENJOY ALLOT
WORKING AT THE WESTIN HYDERABAD
A quarterly get together, and employee recognition with BRAVO awards.
Assistant Front Office Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2013
Overseeing daily operations, i.e., briefing of staff, check occupancy and room rates to sell , check on group/VIP arrivals and special service needs and to deligate work for the day; also attended administrative meetings.

Dealing with multiple issues to ensure total customer satisfaction.

Ensure proper liaison and open communication to all associates – more... and interdepartments, to achive and bulid a cohesive and harmonious work place and to have a group that works as a team toward building a successful operation.

Treat all associates and team members with respect, equality and ensure proper training and work atmosphere by providing necessary tools and guidance to do their job.

Hardest part of my position is to ensure that all in the department maintain the established standards of basic operation, and consistancy; I had to hold regular training programs, mentoring and on the job training for all departmental employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I got in leading by example and being able to share the success with the team. – less
productive very busy enviroment.
Banquet Captain (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 13, 2012
Pros: advansment
Cons: benefits
The morning started checking the meeting and banquets rooms set ups, set up coffee breaks, greet the costumers, serve breakfast and coffee breaks supervise servers and house persons. After this we got ready to serve lunches and refresh meeting rooms. No other comments or complains on my part.
You have to love people
Guest Relations / Service Express (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 9, 2012
Pros: loved everything about it
Cons: sometimes not enough hours
For this role, you need to be a people person and be able to adapt to change and world cultures