Westin Hotel Employee Reviews

great pay but thats about it.
Commis 1 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2017
worked here for 8 years. I had to beg for time off. Management team had more ego than leadership skills. Didn't even get a Thank You from HR when i resigned. Everyone is over worked and miserable.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
Productive, great employer to work for
BANQUET SERVER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2017
It is a really good workplace that values and appreciates its employees. The work can be tough physically and schedules change often based on guests demand, just like all hospitality businesses, but overall, the pay and benefits makes it all worth it.
It's alright, if you can sidestep the drama with coworkers and management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC9 March 2017
You could say this was a decent job to get started in the area, but the perks aren't nearly as good as some of the other companies around, and they care a lot more about money then they will about you. You'll do well if you're let into the clique, but otherwise you'll find yourself up against some unfair situations.

I wouldn't recommend this job but that's just based on some of my experiences, and I was offered a great position with the mountain afterwards.

Note: I was kicked out of staff accommodation without any notice or reason other than they hired new staff and I was being replaced. I was given 2 hours to pack up and move out of staff accommodation, if I didn't have good friends in the area it would have been a really tough time, I wouldn't trust this company. My advice is just look for a job on the mountain and know you'll have a great time!
Cons
No mountain pass - you have to pay for it, unpredictable hours, some staff and coworkers are difficult to get along with
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2017
The Westin Ottawa was generally a good place to work. As a manager the expectation was to work long hours which is hard on family. Management is friendly but the is a lot of politics involved.
Pros
Very nice hotel
Engaging and Ever Changing Work Atmosphere
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC2 March 2017
When going in to work at the Westin I was in for a different set of circumstances every day. I learned how to effectively communicate with guests, effectively troubleshoot, and work well both independently and as a team.
Great Banqueting Experience
Assistant Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Great team and Hotel to work with. Really enjoyed my experience at Westin Harbor Castle.

Larger banqueting venues but we executed every event with a personal touch.
Excellent
Colors Representative (Current Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ON23 January 2017
Westin Homes is a wonderful company to work for with both head office and sales centre locations. All staff and upper management are great to work with.

The décor centre has the most up to date interior finishes for new builds and one aspect I loved was pairing porcelain tile with quartz countertops within the homes. Also, I really enjoyed dealing with puchaser's who bought the new homes both in the décor and sales centre.
Pros
Great group of people
Cons
there wasn't any
Fun and friendly environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 January 2017
As a lifeguard associate, I am not very involved in the hotel's benefits for employees and events. However, as a student, working at the Westin is a great a part-time job.
westin turtle bay is good (Y)
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Balaclava, ON19 January 2017
all staff are friendly..they collaborate..i learn many thing about starwood etc...
its a good hotel indeed...
........................................
Union environment
Food Management and Preparation (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
No growth, promotion based on seniority as it was a union environment. Shifts changed on a daily basis and work was available only during peak season
Pros
Good 5 star hotel
Cons
No job security
fun workplace
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2017
assigned 16 rooms
stretch and warm up before going up onto the floors
clean bathrooms
bedrooms
change all dirty towels
change bed sheets
Great Organization for Development
Director of Rooms (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Lots of training opportunities, SMEs (subject matter experts) Coaching and Mentoring. Great guests who love the revitalization of the waterfront. The challenges will be rectified through a full renovation. Difficult to access the hotel for accessible individuals as the hotel is not fully accessible. New Chefs table wonderful but not accessible.
Pros
Wonderful associates
Cons
Lack of life/work balance
Lots of work, always busy, enjoyed interaction with customers
Third Cook (Former Employee) –  Hollis street, Halifax N.S.26 November 2016
Days began at 5 am and typically ended at 2pm. There was no
time to fool around. I enjoyed the heavy load of work and the
different details involved. The interaction with the chef and
co-workers was great.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, hard of the back
Westin Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 November 2016
We work as a family, with respect and nice environment The people you work with are usually very nice. Many learning sessions. Good work life balance.
Pros
flexible with time offs
Cons
no free lunch
One of the Best
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2016
Working for the Westin Hotel was honestly a blessing. I loved working for the people I worked with. Everyone was friendly, easy to get along with, plus on top of that I absolutely love cleaning, so the job worked out in my favor to begin with.
The only reason I even left this job was because I had things to deal with and ending up moving out here to Victoria.
Pros
The way the bosses and managers have respected us and treated us to things sometimes.
Cons
night shifts lol
Professional workplace with supportive work staff and colleagues
Banquet Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2016
Massive upscale F&B operation.Great work place if you enjoy long hours working in fast passing involvement.Management was excellent and co-workers were great.
Pros
Hotel discounts
Cons
Transportaion and parking
nice place and people to work with
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
work shift variable, do both am open and pm close shift in housekeeping department, also take charge of our laundry department. Check the quality work of our room attendants and house attendants.
good place to work, kitchen is a stress place to work.
1st Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2016
always short of staff, stress place to work in a kitchen,not proper place to work in banquets, ala carte kitchen is guud. working hours are not good. money is good according to job, no advacement to growth specially in kitchen.
Pros
just a brand
Cons
short of staff, stress in banquet kitchen
Outstanding
Front Office Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2016
Everything about this experience is fascinating. I have had the opportunity to utilize my skills and education and also had the opportunity to learn, grow and evolve in different positions and departments. It was a real experience which I learned plenty of it.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Nothing I can think of
Service Express Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2016
Work with amazing co workers and they have the most respectable management team in the hospitality industry. I been here for 3 years and i have gained knowledge of the hospitality industry and still growing as a person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westin Hotel. Our community is ready to answer.