Western University

Western University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), London, OntarioMay 4, 2015
Great place to work and learn. I'm happy I had a chance to work at Western, I met some great people and did some awesome work.
Great opportunity to work flexible hours and have time to train
Work Study (Former Employee), London, ONApril 13, 2015
Great working for my team, visiting elementary schools all across London, talking to them about health, fitness, keeping up with schoolwork, and then most fun of all running around outside. Also had the duty of keeping Westerns Athletic facilities (Kirkley) clean and presentable to the public. Co-workers were my coaches and teammates so it was a family like environment.
A comfortable and fun place to work
Research assistant (Current Employee), London, ONApril 10, 2015
Pros: Nice and telant people
Cons: Low salary to support family
I enjoy the time at Western University. It is a place that not only allows the employee to show their talent and help them to learn more, but also takes care of their families.
Excellent Review
Learning Resource Mentor & Staff Support (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 30, 2015
The people and students were awesome people to work for and I would recommend anyone to work there.

If I could return to work there, I would be most happy to marry my job there and nurture it to the end.
Friendly Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 24, 2015
There is a great balance of working hard and learning to relax while at school. The professors are very knowledgeable and find interesting ways to teach the material. I've made a ton of friends both in my program and out of it which definitely makes the experience for enjoyable.
Productive workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Excellence in Work-Life Balance.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 22, 2014
Various tasks of research and analysis.
Developed better understandings of data analysis and successfully improved in research skills.
Built familiarity with different search engines and database engines.
Hardest part of the tasks involved organizing the researched data, however it is also the feat that I have now become familiar with.
Co-op at Western University
Computer Technician (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Working at Western University was a great co-op experience.

I gave Salary/Benefits and Job Security/Advancement only 2 stars because as co-op my pay was low and had no benefits and I knew when co-op completed I would no longer be working there.
great people that I worked with
Clerk (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 3, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: overnight hours
The people that I worked with were great I got along with all of them including the management in the office. However the only person that I did not get along with was my manager he was truly unfair. But that is my opinion because he would say one thing to you and the opposite to someone else. I even got along with the housekeeping staff in all the residence buildings that I worked in, and some of the trades people that worked for the university. I loved my job I think the best part was the students that came every year. Every year was different but certainly a lot of fun. I will certainly miss that and all the friends that I made well working there I will certainly cherish my years there.
Great experience
Technical Support Specialist - Computer Technician (Current Employee), London, ONJune 8, 2014
I was there in on internship then took a short 4 month contract. I was able to expand on my knowledge with the great leaders and co workers.
Workplace and Student Life in Jeopardy
Library Staff and Student (Former Employee), London, OnMay 29, 2014
Pros: nothing, except for that amazing bagel spread
Cons: almost everythnig - most imp. your health and sanity
Follow the money trail...

1. Health - Cancers, Asthma, Toxicity and other diseases for both students and workers because of incessant construction and poor materials which off-gas and have construction dust, particularly in library, Physics building, and others. Staff in one dept. have been in the midst of legal action for their life threatening health problems due to this.

2. Biased - Ombudsperson and other staff hired to "help" students actually help themselves to gaining personal stories and information which they pass on to higher up ie. Provost, and in turn work against the student and protect – more... themselves from legal action. Dormitory and apartment housing on campus are also used to gain information.

3. Instructors - Do not assist the students who are struggling or in trouble for any reason. Weeding the weak and troubled or trouble makers out is a motto of the university. Their job is more important than a students.

4. Bullies - students, instructors, staff higher ups all have a tendency to allow this on the campus...to save their jobs and their classroom "teachers pet" status. If you get rid of the bad wood, everyone is their to help you as long as the majority are helped and benefited.

5. London and in General Ontario - wannabe los angeles. Already the privatization of medical system has happened. Most Ontarian's in the small and large cities tend to be materialistic - to the point of money extinction. Renovating basements endlessly, and putting kids into daycare as they strive for higher education and changing careers, even when they have a stable, high income and permanent position.

6. Student run city - yes it is. But once you go to school there, you have to work at western or other businesses. Can never leave. Not enough men and very very cliquish or group mentality. Small town and nothing to do there. Lots of drinking...thats it. – less
Beautiful campus
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONMay 25, 2014
Beautiful campus. Working with academics can be a challenge.
Encouraged advancement as well as further education while employed
Administrative Officer (Former Employee), London, OntarioMay 15, 2014
Pros: salary;benefits; work/life balance; encouraged academic advancement
Cons: degree/academic required for all positions
I learned a lot working for Western and enjoyed my co-workers and management. I was given opportunities to grow within each department and salary/benefits were excellent.
data processing
Disaster Risk reduction Chaor (Former Employee), PakistanFebruary 11, 2014
Analysis of XRD data and to explore new techniques to process diffraction data
Research oriented workplace
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Overall the research environment is good and allows us to develop new ideas.
Productive work place
Programmer analyst (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: had to work beside academic schedules
I worked with different web projects related to campus students meal plan and residence services. Its is a great place to work with energetic and co-operative colleagues.
Lacking in challenge and job satisfaction
Lead-Caretaker (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 21, 2013
Although the job calls upon my hands-on attitude and aptitude for problem solving, it falls short for challenging my training, experience, and motivation for improving efficiencies and overall quality.
Workplace was good.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), London OntarioJuly 8, 2013
A typical day at Western consisted of filing, organizing, and scanning.

I learned a lot.

The management was good.

Co-workers were good too..
great learning
Technical Specialist (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 4, 2013
hands on
learning
working with students from all over the world
A well-rounded experience with an opportunity to grow but also the ability to know what it is like to be a working individual prior to graduation.
Residence Advisor (Former Employee), London, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: free internet connection for eight months and single room accomodations.
Cons: almost on call at any time of the night should an emergency arise.
My experience at Western University is a bit different than a typical day of work at a regular job as I go to school and work for the same organization. I am currently a Residence Advisor at Western where I am responsible for building a community for a floor of 26 first year students. I have to plan programs such as movie nights, study sessions, dinners as well as posters that cater to the average college students' needs. I also have to be on duty at least 5 times a month for the building at night where I deal with any emergencies or situations that may occur in the building. My co-workers are upper year students just like myself who have a passion for influencing the lives of others and enjoy giving back to the Western community.
The most enjoyable part of my job this year was watching the students on my floor grow into strong, responsible and well-motivated leaders over the past eight months. I enjoyed being able to see their gradual change and adaptability to university life while being there for them in any way possible.