Job Title: Supervisor I – Campus Operations
Department: Hospitality Services
Reports To: Supervisor II /Unit Manager
Hours: 40 hours
Rate of pay: as per Collective Agreement
Please note: 2 vacancies available
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. From its home in London, Canada, outward across every continent, Western prepares future leaders to succeed. Since 1878, ‘The Western Experience’ has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
Hospitality Services consists of five distinct divisions - Campus Operations, Conference Services, Residence Dining, Great Hall Catering and Vending Services. We have over 600 employees working in the various divisions. We service over 23,000 customers per day in 20 campus operations providing our guests with a wide variety of options and choices including many of your favourite franchises.
Western is currently seeking two full-time sessional Supervisor 1 for Campus Operations.
Under general direction of, or in conjunction with Supervisor II, Supervisor III, Unit Manager or working independently, the incumbent performs work related to service and merchandising of food including the supervision of Senior Food Service Assistants and Food Service Assistants in a small-sized operation.
1. Ensure food is served at proper temperatures, samples taken and properly stored as necessary, inspect presentation and taste of all food items served, portioning and merchandising.
2. Assume special projects, e.g. Job Descriptions, handbooks, NACUFS special entries.
3. In conjunction with management, conduct performance reviews of FSA/Porters.
4. Utilizing interpersonal skills with customers regarding complaints, concerns, suggestions, providing nutritional information and referring customers to appropriate dietary staff.
5. Ensure proper maintenance and operation of Unit equipment, eg. Updating computer/cash programming.
6. Supervise all assigned staff. The incumbent may also participate in hiring of staff and review staff performance concerns with management and recommend operational decisions.
7. Responsible for ensuring the food service unit meets Health and Sanitation standards, administering first aid, completing accident reports.
8. May be required to perform aspects of the Food Service Assistant / Porter duties.
9. Create and promote a team atmosphere in the workplace.
10. Supervise training of all staff.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. Creates specialized menus while maintaining approved food cost.
2. Daily cash balancing, paperwork and deposits.
3. Monthly inventories, price checks on inventories.
4. All ordering of food, beverages, paper etc.
5. Receives all orders, checks invoices against product received, confirms invoice pricing against supplier quotes.
6. Office paperwork, e.g. debit memos, transfers, scheduling, forecasting, time sheets, etc.
7. Deals with suppliers, e.g. obtaining promotional material, new products etc.
8. Uses initiative and creativity in marketing and sales.
9. Maintain established productivity levels and achieve set budgetary goals for year.
10. Supervises a food service unit with average daily sales less than $2000.00.
- Grade 12 or equivalent education.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience.
- Leadership, organizational and clerical aptitude.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, customers and suppliers in written and spoken English.
- Basic computer skills an asset.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to supervise other staff and implement policy.
- Basic knowledge of Union Contract, Ontario Health and Safety Regulations and First Aid.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Western is committed to Employment Equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply directly online on or before September 12, 2013 through our job application form. Please indicate in the Comments section you are applying to the Supervisor I position and where you heard about this job advertisement.