Western Union Employee Reviews

Large company with secretive top down management
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2014
A typical day at work would consist of checking and sending emails,
cold and warm calls to clients, meeting both inside and out of the office, some paper work, reading up on the markets for 15 or 20 minutes and then finally some reflection on the events of the day, client meetings/calls and how to improve sales process.

The most important thing I learned here is that any organization must have internal congruency in order to function effectively.

The management took a micro style and was very secretive about internal matters. They would not give much warning before making substantial changes. Communication was ineffective with management and goals that were set by them were counter productive to revenue generation.

My Co-workers were all great and some became good friends of mine which was also the hardest part of the job when it was time to leave.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections.
Pros
travel experience and large brand backing
Cons
micro-managed, secretive, complicated comission structure.
No training provided
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 November 2014
Everyone was dedicated and hard working, but they will throw you into your position and expect that you know what you're doing immediately.
Fast paced working environment with Interchangeable schedules
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 August 2014
Answering customer calls from all over North-America.
Dealing with money transfer issues.
Learned alot about how to send money properly and all the limitations that have to do with transfers.
Management was new on campaign and still also was learning.
Having to tell people that their money was on hold or lost.
Being able to successfully handle a customer's money in the way that they expected.
Pros
Free Lunches, Own Locker, Days Off.
Cons
Schedules frequently changing.
Great management and work environment within a specific department of Western Union
Senior Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2014
My job consisted of preventing fraudulent transactions being sent through Western Union. Contacting customers to ensure their transactions are valid, and getting the details of their transaction to assist in any possible fraudulent activity.
I learned to determine when a customer is possibly being scammed and how to coach the customer so they are more tactful in their transactions for the future.
Within our small specialized department of Western Union, our management staff placed a lot of trust in their employees and knew that we required little supervision to ensure we provided the best possible service to our customers. Our specialized department had an excellent group of dedicated employees that provided a noticeable improvement in customer service, and prevented the most amount of fraudulent transactions within Western Union.
The hardest part of the job was reaching our to customer who were the victims of scams and fraudulent transactions. These people were often senior citizens who were unaware that they were scammed, often by contacts overseas. Informing the customers about potential or unrecoverable losses was difficult, but rewarding when they validated our high customer service.
The most rewarding part of the job was working with and for a great team of employees that strived for a common goal in providing the best customer experience within Western Union.
Pros
Worked for great managment and coworkers
Cons
Layed off due to Western Union wanting to pay for cheaper staff
Challenging yet rewarding workplace which I had to leave due to change of address
Agent (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 July 2014
• Responsible for electronic money transfer to various parts of the world via Western Union & MJS World Financial devices
• Utilized Microsoft Word & Excel
• Typing speed of 150 WPM
• Completed all data entry and basic accounting work
• Obtained cash or debit payments from customers and ensured that they are provided with correct change and issued valid receipts
• Received and routed mail
Pros
Excellent team and work environment.
Cons
Not within close proximity after I moved to Brampton.
nice company
SENIOR PIPLINE DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 July 2014
mainly focus pipeline projects.
there are not much works recently.
it is a small company.
A good starter
Technical Support II (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2014
- Handle in-bound calls and escalated supervisor calls
- Provide excellent Customer Service to Western Union Agents
- Guide agent through hardware troubleshooting
- Guide agent through software navigation
- Handle immediate escalations via chat platform
- Review escalated cases and advise frontline team of resolution
- Delegate follow ups within Tier 2 team and frontline team
- Review and draft comprehensive KB documents
- Provide feedback and coaching regarding any present gaps in the process
- Provide assistance and curriculum insight during training
- Set resolution SLAs to Frontline Team
- Meet and exceed set KPIs and SLAs
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
High work load
High job satisfcations from on going challenges and high level tasks
Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2014
Typical day includes:
- handle consumer, agent, geographic reports and projects
- give insight and recommendations on internal controls
- help train new employees
Customer Service Oriented
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philippines7 May 2014
- One of the leading companies in the financial industry.
- A lot of learning from the company especially the opportunities given to attend several trainings that will benefit the advancement of the employees.
Pros
Day Shift Account
Cons
No Retirement Pay
Western Union
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Union, ON16 March 2014
I have just started working with Western Union and it seems like a good place to work.
Pros
They have free coffee, tea and fruit
Fun place to work
Senior Executive Assistant & Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2014
Western Union fosters a healthy work environment and is supportive of a good work life balance.

There is no such thing as a typical day in the life of a Senior Executive Assistant and Office Manager with a client facing role.

My day consists of:
Project Management; agendas and minutes; following up on action items; expense reports; petty cash; travel arrangements; HR issues; benefits administration; compiling data and creating charts in Excel; presentations in PowerPoint; email and calendar management; preparing and sending couriers; and in the event of a fire - fire warden.

The part that I enjoy most about my job, aside from the great people that I work with, is the variety of projects and tasks that I have the opportunity to work on. I also enjoy that I have a lot of autonomy in this role.
Pros
Flexible work hours; competitve salary and benefits
Cons
Commute post office move
social and fun workplace
Community consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2014
in a day to day basis deal with multicultural groups, promote products to the public & media, I learned to understand different cultures and way of living; management is up to date and co-workers are professionals; the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and interacting with different ethnic groups and media.
Pros
plentyt of promotional materials, such as pens, coffee mugs, key chains, telephone cards, traveling bags, ...
Cons
Loading and unloading of promotional matterials
great work place
Client Relation Manager & Corporate Dealer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2013
great work place, good people, helpful and fun, good work attitude and just an overall good atmosphere to work in.
Standard Big Company Working Environment
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada28 May 2013
Many projects coming in and tight schedule. Need to trade off between code quality and project deadline. Big company working environment, need to follow processes and delivery the solution to the market asap.
Pros
very secure job
Cons
tight project schedule and work under pressure
Open office concept, bad management without motivation
Finance Department (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 April 2013
Help your manager understand what he wants to know.
Follow the rules given but be ready to bear the conseqence if any.
Exciting, fast paced work atmospher
Fraud Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 August 2012
I learned a lot at my position as fraud specialist, I helped a lot of elderly people as well as different businesses from being defrauded by strangers and fraudsters, I learned how to deal with the most difficult situations ever in terms of people get defrauded either by family members or other people they trust.
Pros
endless knowledge
Cons
odd hours and lack of work to life balance
Environnement agréable
Directeur de comptes exécutifs (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC5 August 2015
Prospecter et trouver des nouvelles opportunités. Réponde aux demandes de la clientèle existante. Visiter les clients dans leurs entreprises. Visiter les agents. Protéger la part du marché.
Faire la formation des nouveaux agents.
Veiller a ce que mes partenaires en affaire et leurs agents respectent les nouvelles règles de conformité.
Le management nous aide a accomplir nos taches et objectifs.
L'aspect le plus agréable de mon mon poste et toujours la rencontre avec les clients futurs et existants.
L'aspect le plus difficile de mon poste et de faire fasse aux dédales administratifs et d'integration.
Pros
travail a domicile et voyages
Cons
Travailler a régler les tracas qui ne sont pas reliés a la productivité