Shipper / Receiver
The Shipper / Receiver is responsible for ensuring smooth and efficient scheduling/delivery functions for the company through maintaining dispatch communication processes. He/she will be accountable to manage a communication network to relay work orders, messages, and using telephones or two-way radios. Other responsibilities also consist of assigning trucks to loads and providing accurate directions to pickup and delivery facilities. Other duties include management of all aspects regarding transportation, as well as shipping and receiving tasks. The role includes providing support in a fast paced, high call volume office environment and will assist in completing operational and data entry tasks as necessary in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee the overall operations on the Dispatch Center and dispatch communication processes, procedures and people
- Maintain and execute the daily dispatch plan to insure accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness of outbound load execution.
- Continually monitor workloads throughout the department and actively pursue additional resource when justified.
- Monitor personnel and/or equipment locations and utilization in order to coordinate service and schedules
- Discuss and resolve issues with drivers
- Breakdown, verify and process driver delivery paperwork.
- Generally maintain an open and effective dialogue with delivery personnel to insure fairness and clarity of understanding.
- Adhere to corporate and departmental policies and procedures
- Work with the inventory planning personnel to minimize shortages and improve inventory holdings.
- Performs other duties as required
- Previous experience with dispatch/call center environment an asset
- Transportation industry knowledge and experience an asset (i.e. shipping/receiving, scheduling, freight negotiations and regulatory requirements)
- Advanced computer skills - Outlook, Excel, Word
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Able to work well under pressure
- Flexible, able to deal with change
- Strong attention to detail, very organized, with excellent multi-tasking and problem solving skills
- Excellent customer service/communication skills
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Overtime as required
- Lifting or moving up to 30lbs may be required
- Working in all weather conditions