Western Forest Products Employee Reviews

Avoid Salary positions, union jobs are fine.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC21 June 2017
Western has a solid future, I worked for the company for over 20 years. However, Salaried employees are leaving all the time, some don't even have a job to go to. At a time when the company is it's most profitable it is eroding salaried employees benefits and vacation packages. Be preparedv for long workdays and inadequate relief for when you go on vacation. Be prepared to work during your vacation. If you are a supervisor be prepared that your employees are making significantly more than you. If you are applying for a union job I would definitely recommend the company, I would never recommend that you take a salary position under the current leadership of the company.
Pros
Solid future as a Coastal lumber producer on Vancouver Island
Cons
There is no respect for work life balance for salaried employees
No good for family life. Long hours
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC12 May 2017
These guys dont care about you or the community they operate in. They dont care about your family. New management every week while they cut production jobs, giving workers extra work load. Managers in the bite also no lock outs on there ends. Should be canned right there new. All they care about is there pockets being lined with bonuses while WE the works wear our selves out and never see our families. Sure we could leave but were do you make this money without leaving BC. Safety is out the door here ....production production and u guessed it production.
I hate working here they shut down more mills and lay people off but where do you go?
Walmart Mc donalds?
Great job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC29 March 2017
Great job. I was a lifer here until they shut down for good. It was a strong union which was good at times but there was some things I didn't approve of. But it was a union and majority rules. Wish I still work there. But the pulp mill is gone.
Pros
Great work place, love working here.
Cons
The union and employee battles.
This is the best company I have worked for.
Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2017
It is a fast- paced environment and its so exciting specially at the end of the day when you know you were able to manage the heavy workload at the fullest extent and you know you have done a good job. The best company ever.
Pros
Bonus for an excellent job which I have deserved.
Cons
Long hours - heavy workload but is very satisfying at the end of the day.
Awful company to work for
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 January 2017
Vindictive, predatory management. No respect for employees family and personal requirements and goals. Work, work, work. Be prepared to fight to be able to take your vacation time.
Ever changing goals. Inconsistent policies. Rules dont apply to execs. Nepotism.
Despite the fluffy corporate values statement, people do not matter at wfp and the ridiculous turnover of staff proves it.
Pros
Job on the island
Cons
Too many to list. Just an awful, toxic culture created by a handful of egomaniacs
Some divisions of Western Forest products are no good to work for
Logger (Current Employee) –  Woss, BC5 January 2017
Upper management doesn't Care about their employees or families or the communities they live in. Upper management doesn't care about your quality of home life with your families
I would look elswhere
shop worker (Current Employee) –  Woss5 January 2017
Training is good wages ok they shut down too much and are unable to plan for anything out of the least bit ordinary.thats all the nice things I have to say
Pros
4 and 3 shift
Cons
Inept management
Great job while in school
First Aid Attendant/Clean (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 January 2017
I worked doing clean-up of mill debris and painting the exterior ladders of the mill. I worked some night shifts on clean-up and some day shifts painting.
Avoid at all costs
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC9 June 2016
Company was good when I started a few years ago but has since spiralled into the abyss...management doesn't trust us, nor are they capable of leading us... always looking for ways to fire or discipline, everyone is on edge and it's a really poor place to work...
Pros
Cons
Where does one start?
Leading Forestry Corporation on West Coast
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 May 2016
Company has experienced solid growth in recent years. Good opportunities in all departments from administrative to manufacturing.
job on the island
Assist in the rebuilding of logging trucks (Former Employee) –  Port Mcneill, BC1 April 2016
great team to be a part of. union perks and benifits. no overtime hours but paid holidays great union benifits no supprises no hidden agenda cut and dry excellent communications
Pros
paid days off
Cons
no overtime
Learned so much
Forestry and Lands Clerk / Receptionist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 April 2015
During my time there it was a flurry of activity and opportunities for learning if you wanted it. Stressful job but had lots of extra perks like parties and merchandise. Good pay
Pros
free merchandise
Cons
stressful
Fun and exciting
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jordan River, BC8 December 2014
Everyday was a different opportunity to learn from a great logging operations camp manager. He was a mentor to me.
This job gave me the opportunity to go to school and follow my dreams of being the medical field.
Will never forget my time at Western Forest Products.
Pros
Cons
Seasonal Layoffs
Sawmill/planer
Millwright/Safety Captain (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 May 2014
Start shift with all safety P.P.E. My job was to maintain the machinery and develop safety with the head of each department. Work with employees on their needs and safety requirements. Work with younger tradesmen in the development of their skills knowledge and their abilities and keep them safe.
Pros
learning curve was very high
Cons
there was no cons that was ever a consern to me
Great outdoorsy job
Forest Technician (Former Employee) –  Holberg, BC21 November 2012
Really enjoyed my summer working for Western Forest Products. The job entailed 95% field work every day, which was great because I enjoy field work. The majority of my co-workers were great and easy to get along with. The hardest part about the job was dealing with all the rainy days (it rained alot), but when it was nice out, you could see miles away on top of a mountain and it was a delight to see. I learned how to conduct a number of field plots: from regen surveys to free-to-grow and green up surveys.
Pros
with nature all week
good easy going company
blaster/driller helper (Former Employee) –  Port Hardy, BC3 October 2012
assisting the driller/blaster on a daily basis , running and operating machinery. obtained my blasting certificate through the company. enjoyed my time working there and most coworkers were great to be around. company vehicles were not in the greatest working order. enjoyed working in the wilderness and enjoying the landscape and wildlife