Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Productive and great learning experience
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  High River, AB3 September 2017
Performed a wide variety of administrative tasks including the maintenance of records. Provide administrative assistance and coordination on a variety of projects and various project teams. Authorized and managed all mobility devices (267 devices).
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Do not work for this company
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 August 2017
I think they must have taken my review down so I will post it again.

I agree with all the negative points made before. There is no real leadership and they purposely under-staff and force you to work overtime without compensation to save the company money.

I also agree with the catty coworkers. Instead of telling me how things were done, being I had come from a direct writer and a brokerage is totally different, they just kept telling me to work faster and started complaining to my manager behind my back, when I had barely even finished training!

I also agree my complaints fall on deaf ears, and I had spoken to coworkers, my TL and my branch manager. Then it was decided that us new employees would get some training, but my assigned trainer blew me off. On top of this I was told to take a client while still on my lunch break after making it very clear I was not back from lunch yet!

No where in the interview or the job ad did it say working on personal time with no pay was a requirement, but that appears to be the only way anyone could keep up with the workload. They'd come in early, stay late, work through lunch and come in on days off! If they would all stop enabling head office to get away with this then maybe they would hire enough staff.

I went home in tears day after day and I am not one to do this kind of thing. I had to leave for my own mental well being, without having had a change to find other work first. This is absolutely the worst job I have ever had.
Employee Benefit Sales - great money if you dont mind backing people into a corner
Employee Benefit Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 August 2017
Hard phone sales job. You must sell to customers that already have employee benefit packages, which means breaking a broker relationship. If you don't produce withen a few months they will let you go.

Great group of guys to work with, great starting job. Not a career.
good training program and great people
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 August 2017
A great place to start a career in the insurance industry.
Good management with good culture in a Busy office. The people in the office were great to work with willing to support the team.
Better look for a job elsewhere
Marketing & Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 July 2017
This company is NOT heading in the right direction. People turnover is just too much, no stability and hard to say what's going to happen tomorrow.

Salary wasn't that good and benefits are average at best. People are nice to work with, but management doesn't seem to know what they are doing. No plan.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, great lunch room
Cons
No direction, no stability, people turnover
Great people, terrible management
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB21 June 2017
Love the people that I have gotten to work with however the management (in branch and what stems from head office is terrible)
They micromanage their employees with the expectation that you do a pile of work with no extra compensation. Promises are made, with no follow through. Huge turnover in staff.
The manager talks about staff to other staff, when confidentiality is supposed to be in place.
Great employees and place to work
Head office (Former Employee) –  High River, AB19 June 2017
Great people. Management needs work. All information is withheld from newcomers which makes the long term employees hold all the power. The training was weak and the turnover was huge in one year.
New owners
Vice President (Former Employee) –  High River, AB14 June 2017
the company is likely changing as they have new owners. it seems though that the sales culture is not quite there and they have great opportunities but not the right leadership to seize the day
High paced and productive work environment
INSURANCE BROKER (Current Employee) –  Beaverlodge, AB16 May 2017
I really enjoy the staff that I work with as well as the type of work. Daily work involves general administrative duties, writing new policies for personal and commercial clients
work load is intense
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2017
Work load is intense while each agent is required to be the receptionist as well as quotes assist walk in clients the list goes on at times the work load was so intense i felt i would cry or have a nervous breakdown. Def not paid enoughh for this job. Very demanding job ! Great career though..

Management is Never around. little to no training u have to just figure it out. I felt discriminated against by coworkers who were very condescending at times.

Pros
They pay 4 your licensing give lots of time to get your license. Great benefits, bonus. E weeks off year paid
Very low pay and lack of management support
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  High River, AB3 April 2017
Very low paying for the amount of work they pile on your desk. Little to no wage increases from upper management, and lack of support. If you live out of town its a long way to drive for a little more then minimum wage. Wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Good place to be
Assistant to Underwriting Department (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
The pet insurance branch is a very warm and friendly environment. Pets (mainly dogs) are even allowed to be brought in, with prior permission. It's a really fantastic place to work.
Pros
Great people, great coffee
Cons
if you have dog allergies, it may not be the place for you
Poorly managed
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grimshaw, AB21 December 2016
I felt that my branch was poorly managed and our manager made a point to let us know a few times that we were all replaceable. It was the utmost stereotype of women unable to work together. I felt that some of that tension stemmed from management pitting "team members" against each other.
There was also a lot of unrealistic expectations, like one under staffed office doing two offices work load.
Previous employees were continuously blamed for current problems.
Pros
A building block to learn a bit about insurance.
Cons
Poor treatment of employees
Training policy needs work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB26 November 2016
Did not really have a chance to have a full opinion about workplace as I had only worked there for a short time. Had only worked there for a few months and knew that it wasn't the right place to be at that point in time
...............................
..........................................................
Horrible Management and training was bad
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB14 July 2016
They do not care about their new employees. Training was horrible. Management was very disorganized. Did not deal with any issues brought forth.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Everything else
Good
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 November 2015
Not for everyone, some problems. Please find out for yourself

CONFIDENTIAL - The rating you provide is completely anonymous and will not be shown with your review.
Do not pay employees on time
Private (Former Employee) –  Private22 October 2015
I managed a team that got paid commission and they would constantly not get paid on time for it. It was a fight to deal with those responsible for this error and they would never apologize for it. A serious issue for a large group unable to pay things such as rent on time.
Pros
Good group of people to work with
Cons
Pay issue is pretty serious
Productive, always learning something new
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burns Lake, BC27 July 2015
Working at Western Financial was very challenging at times to find the right fit for the client's needs.
A very serious place to work with not much room for error.
I had a good relationship with other employeed, clients and management
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 March 2015
As receptionist I was the first impression both on the phone and in person exuding a happy atmosphere with professionalism. I got along with all co-workers both in and out of the office. The most enjoyable part of my job was the client contact, and at sometimes the most difficult part (ie irate clients, etc). I was employed at WFG for 12 years and had good work ethics, was very dependable, organized and moved traffic throughout the office in an efficient manner.
Very accomodating workplace
Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB19 February 2015
I was able to work from home and I found management was very understanding with my situation. I felt appreciated and was well rewarded for my hard work. I worked four hours per day from home and received calls from the office and clients regularly throughout that time. A typical day at work included writing new policies, processing endorsements and filing claims.
Pros
Interacting with clients
Cons
Longer hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5