Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bad company to work for, disorganized.
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee), BrooksNovember 15, 2014
Pros: hours, benefits, location
Cons: bad training, too much work, no raises
Way too much work for way too little of pay.
Training was horrible. Basically thrown in to try to figure out myself how to do the job.
I was there for a year and half. Never had a review, there was a constant turnover of staff. Management acted like there was no problem at all, just kept giving us more work to do.
I asked for a raise and was told that – more... was not possible. There was a ban on raises. New people were making more than me.
I worked late almost every night to keep up with the workload. No overtime was ever given.
I did learn a lot about insurance, for that I am grateful.
Some of the other employees were very nice, just stressed.
Good hours and benefits. – less
Poor Management, high turnover.
IA (Former Employee), High RiverSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: none. all gone with the old manager.
Cons: management
Get your licence and get out!! Some of the offices have a huge turnover and for some reason HR doesn't seem to notice. The Strathmore office lost the best manager last year and replaced him with a woman that did things for her benefit only. Once she had to meet a target and answer for her poor performance she ran. Now they have another with zero people – more... managing skills. She has killed the office morale and will loose all the staff that have worked hard to keep it a successful office. If HR doesn't get in there soon that office will be completely upside down. Talk to the staff. Not just the new manager. She may think she knows it all but she has no clue how to talk or treat employees. Some manager training courses would have probably been a really good idea. To go from being a broker to a manager, never even managing a box shows. She could really use a kick off her high horse. – less
Insurance Broker (Former Employee), Dawson Creek, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Western Financial group was a great place to work. I would recommend this company.
Enjoyed working with most of the staff
Commercial CSR (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMay 12, 2014
Pros: everyone got along and worked well together
Cons: change in management styles; job was eliminated due to lack of work
Reviewed list of upcoming renewals and prepared the appropriate documents for the commercial brokers; learned to use different systems and gained a bit of an insight into commercial insurance. The manager that hired me was very knowledgeable and easy to work with/for. It was a very relaxed atmosphere to work in but we still got the job done. My co-workers – more... were approachable and open to questions as needed. Management changed and the whole atmosphere of the office changed....it wasn't as enjoyable to go to work every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing what was put before daily and talking to a variety of people throughout the day, – less
Got along great with co-workers loved the work
Insurance agent (Former Employee), VictoriaMarch 13, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: training.
The training was horrible no direction. For such an extensive interview process the training was very misdirected. No reviews, passed around from one employee to another. You put in all that time and effort only to have it go haywire during your training!!!
great experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Prince GeorgeJuly 15, 2013
Pros: great training
Cons: contract work not long term position
This company has a wonderful management team who is dedicated to staff development and growth.
Awkwardly run Company
insurance (Former Employee), high riverMay 31, 2013
Pros: large organization with small town feel
Cons: mgmt safety net for some employees. not sure what they value in an eployees.
Management unaware of real problem personalities and issues
Very difficult to fit in and be recognized for job. Difficult to understand the corporate culture.
Worst Managers I Have Ever Worked For
Communications (Former Employee), High River, ABMay 23, 2013
Pros: good hours, decent benefits
Cons: no job stability, crazy managers, dishonest people promoted.
When I started at Western I was truly excited to be working for what I thought was an amazing company. After about a year there I started to realize that there was very little stability, most people are gone within a year or two of starting. Of those people most were let go or fired for seemingly no reason. The managers are the worst I have ever worked – more... for. There is little room for growth or advancement and HR/management does not care at all about staff. If you have any concerns you will just be fired.

Several people were getting sick in the office and they were just shoved aside and eventually let go for no reason. HR said even if a quarter of the staff were ill it would be too small a number to really be concerned with fixing the problem.

Save your time and effort and work for a company that will value the contributions of bright people. – less
Ok job. Low pay, poor management.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), High RiverMarch 15, 2013
Ok job. Low pay, poor management that often left me feeling lost when trying to find extra work during slow times.
Productive and helpful
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 13, 2012
Western Financial Group was a good place to work. A typical day would involve working with clients to make sure that they had proper insurance on their vehicles. I worked well with my co-workers and they were always there to help me and me to help them.
Fun workplace
Customer service (Former Employee), prince georgeAugust 22, 2012
Pros: great shifts
Cons: when it wasn't busy
The mobile dealer service job was exciting busy and diverse. The people I worked with were great. Too bad the division shut down
Great learning experience, limited future
Corporate Sales Representative (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaJune 15, 2012
Pros: great earning potential
Cons: incredibly high turnover
I would recommend this place to any recent business school looking to gain valuable experience.
The company takes a no excuse results based look at performance.
They also provide great sales training that is easily transferable.

However, the job have incredibly high turnover that really creates an toxic atmosphere and a lot of dissension between management – more... and employees.

In the end I feel that the experience and generous earnings potential outweigh the cons. – less
Worst company I've ever worked for
Sales (Current Employee), High RiverAugust 29, 2013
Pros: telecommuting
Cons: senior management, lots of disfunction, office is far away from calgary. long commuting
No direction from management, some people in senior management should not be in the role. Very disfunctional company. Overall very bad experience.

About Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group is a diversified insurance services company that serves more than 790,000 customers across Western Canada. – Read more