Established in 2003, Western Camp Services Ltd. is now the largest independently-owned camp and catering company in Western Canada. Providing services to the Natural Resource Industry, they provide lodging, kitchen and housekeeping services for camps of 20 to 500 men working in remote areas. If you are looking for an opportunity to join a company of up to 200 dedicated, service oriented employees, with quality, respect and customer service that are unrivaled in the industry, this is the career for you!
Reporting to the Vice President, the HR Generalist (Field Services) ensures that all HR initiatives emphasize empowerment, quality, productivity, safety, and success in line with the values and strategic goals of Western Camp Services. The HR Generalist (Field Services) is responsible for overseeing and participating in the effective recruitment, retention, scheduling/placement and ongoing development of a superior field workforce.
Talent Acquisition and Retention
The HR Generalist (Field) establishes and leads all talent attraction, recruiting and hiring practices & procedures necessary to recruit and hire a superior field workforce. This includes:
- Creates a strategic recruitment and selection plan for recruiting field staff
- Participates in the development and placement of job postings on appropriate advertising mediums (company website, other web job boards, radio and print medium)
- Participates in the sourcing and screening of candidates for all field positions
- Ensures proactive availability of screened field candidates for camps
- In conjunction with Recruiters and Camp Managers, makes hiring decisions for camp aids, cooks, housekeepers and other employees as required
- Oversees appropriate reference and testing of candidates prior to offer extension
- Oversees and participates in the onboarding of all new hires, including provision of first day orientation and basic safety training prior to field deployment.
- Monitors probationary periods for new hires, ensuring timely and proactive release of new hires that are not meeting expectations.
- Establishes a recall program to support re-hire of field employees each operating season
- Oversees the filling of the staff pool to ensure Placement Coordinator can fill positions as required
Employee Relations & Performance Management
- Ensures all field employees receive regular coaching, performance feedback, and formal probationary and annual appraisals
- Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth
- Monitors and advises managers and supervisors regarding performance issues, ensuring that the company corrective action policy is followed. Assists managers in setting and facilitating performance improvement process with non-performing employees.
- Reviews, guides, and approves Camp Management recommendations for employment terminations
- Establishes career paths and employee top-grading programs, and provides training and development advice to managers
- Oversees the activities of the HR department
- Tracking and monitoring employee turnover, and implementing appropriate corrective strategies to improve employee retention
- Establishes training tools and tracking systems to manage and measure training and development initiatives such as training needs assessment forms, licensing and technical training tracking and administration, apprenticeship hour reporting, etc.
- Oversees field employee drug and alcohol testing procedures in collaboration with the Health and Safety Manager
- Other duties as required
Indeed - 9 months ago