Westeel Employee Reviews in Canada

Safe, Realistic, Team based, Friendly
Steel Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 14, 2015
Working at Westeel was a great experience. The people who work there are friendly and helpful. Management is fair and respectful. Safety is held in high regard, as we all want to go home to our families. The hardest part of the job was the rotating shift work, although you are able to sort out a schedule with those whom you may be rotating with. I wish I was currently working there at the moment, but Westeel does have lay-offs.
Pros
safe work environment, multi-cultural, friendly, union
Cons
shift-work, lay-offs
Fast paced envirement
Assembly Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 24, 2014
Not a bad place to work, just not much room for advancement. No structure for salary supervisors.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
log hours
Powder Coat Painter/ Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Olds, ABMarch 5, 2014
A typical day at work was quite normal, set up, wash and paint tanks, all the way to decaling and getting tanks ready to ship. I learned a great deal of things at westeel, to many to really recount. Management was excellent except for one, but last I heard he was removed from the company. The plant manager was very personable, he would do everything in his power to help someone along. The hardest part of the job was the heat in the paint booth aside from that, the job was quite enjoyable. Had I not moved I would still be working there. The work/life balance was great, there was overtime or the occasional Saturday asked for. They always tried to make sure the employees were happy, from random BBQs to Christmas parties, golf tournaments and company matched RRSPs. Westeel was a great company to work for, I would highly recommend joining that team.
Pros
lots!
Cons
hot working conditions, some long hours
managment is a in need of overhaul
Painter (Former Employee) –  saskatoonFebruary 22, 2014
good workers . poor managment from team leaders to plant managers acting like mafia members rather than integral parts of a well organized work orientated supportive and productive atmosphere watched too many good people quit due to frustration
Pros
good people on floor
Cons
very poor managment team
Excellent place to work
Sheer Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MBFebruary 21, 2014
My position was to follow orders and make sure parts were made to blueprint specifications. I was able to learn how to use indoor over head cranes, forklifts, and to utilize my time for better part production. Always had a good relationship with other co-workers. The hardest part of the job for me was when the shears blades would get dull, it was always the wait for them to be sharpened/replaced that would cost me valuable time off my machine. I loved my job, the thought of my parts being used in production made me feel proud.
Pros
the choice of shifts, mine was evening 4pm till 12am.
Cons
not enough overtime.
alright
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Olds, ABDecember 18, 2013
good place ten hour days good pay do not pay for school years earned already pay tops out at 26 a hour which is low for welding.
There are premiums you can get which increase that but they can come and go.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
longhours
Great place to work and learn
Welder (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 7, 2013
I learned many new welding techniques and more efficient ways of working throughout the day. I worked with many different coworkers and enjoyed working with them as they each had a unique way of doing something and each taught me something differently. The most enjoyable part of work was looking at a finished product and knowing you made that.
Pros
great starting wage
was an alright place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 16, 2013
it was production line work which isnt the most exciting. My opinions and suggestions were taken into consideration and i felt like i was appresciated.
Hard work, dirty atmosphere
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2012
Typical day consists of taking grain bins at the end of the assembly line and cleaning bin inside and out of weld spatter, rough welds and dirt. Job was very simple and dirty. Was promised welding advancements and job security that were never fulfilled. Job was very dirty however the people were great and they were fun to work with.
Pros
people were great
Cons
dirty and lacks job secutiry and advancement