West Park Healthcare Centre Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work for.
Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
West Park pays good salary, higher than the average. However, the work culture here is not good. All the departments are run by politics, a lot of backstabbing among colleagues and the management never supports their staff. They will even make you feel incompetent and unwanted rather than give you support. If you're a new staff and have a higher education among your colleagues, they will work against you and see you as a threat. Management knows nothing but to micro-manage their staff, hence, the staff moral is very low. Instead of working together for the sake of the patients, everyone is working against each other and they don't know how to practice team work, which has a huge impact on the quality of care that they provide their patients.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics driven, micro-managing, unfairness
Great if you are not support staff
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2016
West Park is good place to work if you are are a nurse, respiratory therapist, doctor, physiotherapist, etc.

If you are unlucky enough to be working as a support staff, it is a horrible place to work. If you work in environmental services, maintenance, kitchen, etc., the work environment is toxic. Low pay, no room or support for advancement and machiavellian, narcissistic managers. Plus the staff union, SIEU, is non existent but you get pay high dues.
Pros
Some really good co-workers, benifits
Cons
Horrible mangers, low pay, high union dues
Not a pleasant environment
Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONE21 June 2016
This place pays more than average, however it's not a great place to work for. A lot of political agendas going on, management are not supportive of their staff, staff are not being accountable with their actions and they practice micromanaging, which make the environment very unpleasant
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics, no room to grow, micromanagement
Wonderful workplace, many long time employees
Clerk/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
This organization is a great place to work to gain experience and growth. I had been with this company for about 3 years and have learned a lot about the healthcare field.
Pros
great employees and managers
Cons
can require late hours
Satisfying work life experience
Computer Training Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2015
The employer promoted learning and professional growth by sending me to various conferences and seminars. Depending on the department you are working in, one may face some politics but nothing that would hinder achieving work goals.
Working with family and ALS patients
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2014
A typical day at work is assisting patient with ALS and bring the patient to his physical therapy. I wasn't aware what ALS before until I started working there and I have learned how it can affect not just the patient but it also affect the family emotionally and mentally. People that I worked with our pretty helpful specially the nurses and the therapist they were there when ever the patient or the family have questions . The hardest part of the job is looking at the patient's eye and see their frustration about their situation and watching them deteriorates . The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the very sick patient improve.
Pros
the trainings
Intership
Practical Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2015
I learned a lot of new thing at Westpark while taking care of patient. I loved working as a nurse. I started my shift with having the information needed to take care of patient. Then I did my rounds every day to make sure nothing was unsafe. I prepared medications for the patient since it was a lock down unit. I have to make sure that every one got their medications on time and in a timely manner patients have the optimal care.
Productive workplace with an excellent experience
Rehabilitation Assistant on 2EC and 3EA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2014
A typical day at work would consist of organizing groups such as upper extremity group, balance group, breathing group, standing group and theraband group. Working with patients one on one and performing exercises based on their plan of care designed by their Physiotherapist/Occupational Therapist. Helping with patient transfers and working alongside with the PT/OT walking patients.

Working at West Park, I have learned a lot about patient management and what the rules and regulations are when it comes to patient care and treatment in rehab. I have learned the different techniques on wheelchair safety and what wheelchairs are suited for certain patients. Working at West Park, learning how to document properly and how to build a well professional rapport with the patients there.

Working with the rehab team is a very delightful experience and to know that everyone works together and helps each other out whenever needed.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help the patients and being able to build a really good rapport with all of them. Working at West Park has given me a chance to meet new people and build that professional relationship with everyone.
An excellent rehab centre with great people
Speech and Language Facilitator, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2013
I volunteered at West Park for over a year. I worked in a few different roles here, but mostly as a communication facilitator. In this role, I worked one-on-one with patients and in group settings. This was fulfilling position, though constantly a challenge. It really does take a special kind of person to work in a rehabilitation setting such as this every day. I came away from this position with immense respect for those who do it every day - and the people at West Park do this with smiles on their faces day in and day out.
Good learning experience
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2014
Good environment to learn nursing interventions. Staff were very hospitable, welcoming, and caring