West Edmonton Mall Employee Reviews

Used to be a fun place to be at
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2016
This place used to be ideal to work at. The managers and staff were fun and making customers have fun too. Since new management has taken over, the fun aspect has been taken out and it's basically go there and work, and can't wait to get out. Room for advancement is next to none unless you really suck up to management, they don't look at talent or how hard you work.
Pros
25% off food and appreciation passes
Cons
No advancement or raises
Great place to develop customer service skills
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Payless Shoe Source31 July 2016
You normally would do things like getting shipment out onto the racks, help customers find shoes, ringing customers through the till and many other things as well. Management is friendly and easy to talk to same with my co-workers. Hardest thing for me is sometimes needing to get so much done in a short amount of time.
Used to be a fun place to work at
Slide Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
I started working at the Waterpark 3 years ago . I used to love it , but ever since the management changed, so many things has changed with it. It's not fun to work there anymore and they are overly strict with everything. I don't feel like they value their employees much. There are way too much favouritism going on at work, it makes you want to puke. As far as the job itself goes, it's fun, easy and lots of responsibilities. It's a good place to work for students .
Pros
Free drinks, has more breaks than some other jobs
Cons
Unfair, biased and demanding management, high favouritism, overly dramatic coworkers
fantastic place with great staff
Rides Attendant and Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Learn so much skills and had improved myself over the year of working there. Really good staff and fun place to work. The hardest part of the job is the late/early booking.
Pros
free tickets to any mall attraction. friendly staff
Cons
could be paid little more, Rude guest sometimes
high school job environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
working at west Edmonton mall was a good experience, friendly staff and lots of new customers every hour.
have gotten first aid and CPR training before starting the job.
co workers were very friendly.
Pros
close to home
Cons
unclean
Excellent place to work.
Bench - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I have always loved West Edmonton mall, working there is even better. It's retail stores are full of super awesome people. I have never had a problem working there.
Good job while it lasted.
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  waterpark15 August 2016
The work environment was great, but for working there for two years, they where not willing to give me the hours that i request after months even after employees where leaving.
Pros
good employees
Cons
poorly managed
Fast moving, good enviroment
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2016
A typical day at work is sales and organization. We have to make sure everything is stocked and nothing is falling off hangers or off tables. I learned better customer service skills by staying calm with a customer that was unhappy with our return policies. Management was good just need more consistent hours. My co-workers are the best part of my job, we are like a little family and work very well together.
Cons
Not enough hours or pay
Review for working at the West Edmonton Mall Admissions Dept
Admission Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 January 2016
I would start the day by punching in at least 7mins before starting a shift then the work team would meet as a group to be escorted to the cash room by a supervisor to get our cash floats for the day. Each cashier would be brought her/his designated attraction for the day for example: Galaxyland or Ice Palace, Waterpark,etc. Then each attraction has to open at there set times then each cashier greet each guest as they enter the attraction. Our duty was to inform them of the best deals and safety regulations.
I learned how to deal best with customers and be assertive.
Pros
Free Passes to attraction
Cons
managment practices, not enough hours
It was a great experience for me we had a fun Christmas parties, meetings and everyone was friendly and approachable
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2015
When I first started working here, I thought I wouldn't like it. I was also very shy, have a low self-esteem and have no confidence at all. But at my first day, I was trained at golf and had a very great experience with my trainer and my supervisor let me play golf once since I never played golf before. The next day was also fun, I made new friends and they were all so friendly. The people that I met are very nice that I became best friends with half of them and I gained more and more confidence in myself, I also became friendly to others. This job may not be the best job because it doesn't pay a lot, but it actually made a great impact to who I am today
Pros
free drinks and people are very friendly
Cons
Long hours, low wage
Complete waste of time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2012
The department I worked in no longer exists but I've heard similar complaints from employees in other departments. Pay is low, you get one raise period, and management is useless
Pros
stores in the mall give you discounts, close to a transit station
Cons
little flexibility, long hours, low wage
Good for high school students
Admissions Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 March 2016
I liked what I did, but it was no longer enough to pay the bills. A typical day consisted of greeting customers and processing cash/debit/credit/coupon transactions to mall patrons visiting the attractions in the mall.
Development, Challenges, Rewards, Accomplishments
Full & Part-time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2013
Began as sales associate, was quickly promoted to Department Manager for all of Ladies Wear for both WEM Bay stores
Responsible for sales and customer service, inventory and merchandising, training and scheduling staff, cash and credit balances, pricing and moving stock, event management (fashion shows) and department promotions
competitive and challenging.
Sales Representative. TELUS Mobility (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 July 2013
My Typical day at work would be very difficult, although I've been through many obstacles striving to be better everyday. Client Experience is a very important role in sales our company has very high expectations for us to meet also with our goals that we have to reach every week. We are trained and coached through out the weeks as well. The hardest part of my job is trying to please everyone, because team mates are really competitive and it gets lets say pretty challenging as we all managed to get along and still strive to be successful and also that is unbalanced, Shifts are randomized to mall avalibility and i find it frustrating to work my life around them. The best part i like about my job is that i get to help people and make their problems a lot less harder on them. I problem solve and do what ever i can to make our clients happy and when they walk away happy so do i.
Pros
incentives and commission
Cons
random shifts often late, little team work, pay unbalanced.
Great to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2013
My day started at 8:00 am Monday to Friday and
Ended at 5:00 pm. I took care of the customer Service. 10
minutes before 8:00 am I was already on my desk
getting ready for my job and at 8:00 am, I started
right away reviewing all the requests.
I have learned to manage my time so that I can
finish my target for the day. I have learned
to work independently as well as working together with
my co-workers without disagreement.
Most of my managers there are good with people.
I have a very responsible and good co-workers.
One reason that I enjoy working there is because I was
surrounded of very nice people.
The hardest part of the job is when I can not finis my target.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when I finished a
lot without any problem.
Pros
flexible time.
real simple place to work and always something todo
Stock Person/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  edmonton1 December 2012
Usually an easy job just fold clothes and open boxs and enter the numbers in the computer for the shipments help people find clothes and make choices also serve people on the till didn't really have a tough time doing anything there. The most enjoyable thing was talking to every one its a very sociable workplace.
Pros
10% clothes
Cons
usally we had to stay till the store was fully cleaned before leaving sometimes it took till 12am
Very exciting workplace with an opportunity to meet, greet and help new customers each day.
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 June 2014
A very exciting and interesting workplace. I meet a lot of local as well as tourists daily and am privileged to help them find the stores and information they need in order to have an amazing experience.
I do not at all feel that I am working instead I enjoy helping people and learn from their insight and experiences.
worked with some great people
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  forzanis25 January 2015
daily I would take out the new clothes and prep them to be hung up on the shelves. helping customers find new clothes to wear . the general manager at the time was amazing, he was so easy to talk to
Good place to work. Moved to Maui, so time to move on.
Dive Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2014
I Found that I liked the managing side of my previous job the most. I am great with people, be they employee's or customers, and am looking for my place here in Maui.
Fun
Admission Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2013
Get to meet people for all walk of life. sell ticket, answer question give guest direction when their are lose.
Pros
Free passes
Cons
no full time hours

2.8