West 49 Employee Reviews

Great workplace for young teenagers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook Mall/ Tsawwassen Mills/ Guildford Mall19 March 2017
The workplace was new for me since it was my first time working at a retail store. It was a different scenery which is what i wanted, i was curious on how would it feels to be a sales associate, it was cool, i had fun helping other customers getting what they what and making sure they are always happy with they're purchase and to hopefully seeing them soon. i receive a lot of compliments on how positive and energetic a was for sales associates, but then things went down for me due to managing problems.
Pros
20% OFF clothings
Cons
short hours, travelling distance
West 49 has changed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
Working in the west Edmonton mall west 49 is great, the only negative subject I can write about is the current management there, they are unprofessional and have favoritism with their employees, they base the amount of hours on who they like better, instead of who works hard, but other than that I enjoy the culture entwined with store, as there is a skate park there which is free for the less fortunate kids who don't have all the luxuries which are entitled to all the upper class or however you wanna categorize those certain people, which is another negative for me, the skate park is in perfect condition but the management is so caught up in their own little squabbles to see this is more than just about skateboarding is also a community, where you can interact with similar people, but overall it was a blast working for west 49.
Pros
Skate park, staff washrooms
Cons
Lack of hours, no staff meetings, lack of direction
Fun upbeat work environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC25 December 2016
Enjoy working for West 49. All of the upper management are very helpful and supportive. There is lots of room for growth and advancement and they are always training you for the next position up.
Very friendly and easy going environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
This job was very laid back and fun I had fun making new colleagues and putting out product felt cool to know what was in stock before everyone else I had troubles with memorizing the incentives every day but thats about it.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Good Managment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 July 2016
Fun workplace, lots of interaction with the community. Wish the company was more involved with the skate community like it use to be.
Excellent place to work with the best coworkers anyone could ask for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 June 2016
It's not often people can genuinely say they like their job, especially in retail. Working at West 49 has been the best experience. I've learned excellent customer service skills, how to handle money more responsibly, as well as just how retail works. Being able to work with "my kind of people" has been incredible.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Picker/Shipper/Reciever (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 May 2016
West 49 was an enjoyable place to work. The people were really friendly and I have built long standing relationships with a lot of the employees I worked with. There was no room for advancement but being able to go to work and enjoy your day was payment enough for some.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
No Room for Advancement
Enjoyable workplace with stellar co-workers and management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 March 2016
In my time at West 49, I learned how to fold various clothing, assist or approach customers, prepare incoming stock, etc. The co-workers and management was very welcoming and friendly.
productive and sane environment
labour (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 March 2016
the company is very good at customer relations. They have a cordial and respectable staff that are attentive to details and goal-oriented
Good starting job
Temporary Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 February 2016
It was a good job. I should have made more than minimum wage because I was a hard worker, worked more efficiently and harder than most of the sales associates
ping pong tables
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB22 February 2016
I kind of wish we had a table tennis table at work. it would be fun to play table tennis while at work. I am good at table tennis and would have one every match of table tennis.
Awesome place to work.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON3 February 2016
From day one I was welcomed in by all the staff and they treated me the most respect. It's always nice walking in when you work because all the staff become your friend's, we all get along, joke around and hang out outside of work. Example me and a couple guys always go snowboard and go play hockey at the outdoor rinks and have a great time. It's almost like an extended family the way you are accepted by them. I learned to deal with customers that come from all walks of life and to B.C.I.F. which means Believe, Connect, Inspire, Fulfill. So we have to great them as soon as they come in and make them feel welcome in the store, find a topic to connect with them with i.e. music, snowboard etc, inspire them so they see you as a fun person and just not another salesman, and fulfill by giving them a great shopping experience so they return to the store. I even have regular customers that will come in just to get help from me because i followed all those steps and made their shopping experience an amazing one.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
There's months where its slow and you don't get many hours
not what it used to be
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2016
For years West 49 was an amazing company. I've never met a West 49 employee who wasn't genuine, kind, funny, and downright awesome! I am thankful everyday for the friendships that blossomed here! This was truly a great company to work for! The culture was alive in everyone employed there, the discount was phenomenal!!!! Now they are under new management and things just aren't the same. Very unstable, terribly organized. Employees don't know what's happening day to day with deals. Very confusing. The store was never as disorganized in all my years there as it has been this past year. Very disappointed with the outcome of the job I once loved more than anything and was so proud to call mine.
Pros
Great staff, awesome product, cool culture
Cons
new managment
It used to be a good job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2016
Ever since West 49 got purchased by YM the entire aroma of the store has been ruined, people have been stressing and the "full time" workers aren't getting even close to "full time" hours and part time workers have been getting more.
Pros
Occasional commission
Cons
Harassment from managment
Fun
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 December 2015
This was a fun place to work as an undergraduate. Staff and management were knowledgeable and truly cared about customer satisfaction.
productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 November 2015
great place to work the staff are great to work with and the store gets a great mixture of people shopping to keep things interesting & enjoyable!
Unpredictable mess
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 November 2015
As a sales associate, I had no direction from management. Upper management made it difficult for store managers which reflected on keyholders, and sales associates. The company was geared toward skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding culture, but had since lost its vision and opted for more fashion brands that didn't reflect its own image. A series of buy outs from large corporations left district manager, and store manager turnovers high, and lower employee moral low.
Pros
If the manager was good, I had strong goals, and learned a lot
Cons
If the manager was bad (which was frequently the case), I was left confused and under trained
I love my job, its a great place to work with positive people.
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 November 2015
I usually start my day with checking emails and opening the tills, making sure everything is put away and clean for the day to come. I will do any transfer that have to be done in the morning and then when customers come into the store I greet them and help them accordingly. At the end of the day i will do all the closing duties, which includes washout, closing the doors, filing in the paper work for that day and re checking emails and putting in sales performances for the day. The hardest part of my job would have to be doing the visual for the clothing and making sure everything looks how it should be an up to date. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be meeting new people everyday and since the store is family oriented i get to see a lot of kids which is always fun. Another part is my management and sales get along very well and it is a good environment to be in.
Pros
great environment to work in, great people, have learned lots.
Cons
not enough hours, don't get weekends off.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 October 2015
Greeted customers while they entered the store, kept store neat and tidy and helped close at the end of most of my shifts.
Fun Relaxed Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario8 June 2015
Working at West 49 was a treat, All day I got to encounter great co-workers who made the experience much more than a normal retail job should have been, the work was constant (Cleaning up merchandise, having conversations with customers, giving people what they wanted instead of just trying to push sales was great) which I enjoyed greatly as it always kept me busy and mind off the clock.
Pros
Amazing Workplace
Cons
Short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West 49. Our community is ready to answer.