West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
not what it used to be
Keyholder (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: Great staff, awesome product, cool culture
Cons: new managment
For years West 49 was an amazing company. I've never met a West 49 employee who wasn't genuine, kind, funny, and downright awesome! I am thankful everyday for the friendships that blossomed here! This was truly a great company to work for! The culture was alive in everyone employed there, the discount was phenomenal!!!! Now they are under new management and things just aren't the same. Very unstable, terribly organized. Employees don't know what's happening day to day with deals. Very confusing. The store was never as disorganized in all my years there as it has been this past year. Very disappointed with the outcome of the job I once loved more than anything and was so proud to call mine.
It used to be a good job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Occasional commission
Cons: Harassment from managment
Ever since West 49 got purchased by YM the entire aroma of the store has been ruined, people have been stressing and the "full time" workers aren't getting even close to "full time" hours and part time workers have been getting more.
Fun
Third Key Holder (Former Employee), Richmond, BCDecember 30, 2015
This was a fun place to work as an undergraduate. Staff and management were knowledgeable and truly cared about customer satisfaction.
productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 22, 2015
great place to work the staff are great to work with and the store gets a great mixture of people shopping to keep things interesting & enjoyable!
Unpredictable mess
Key Holder (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABNovember 19, 2015
Pros: If the manager was good, I had strong goals, and learned a lot
Cons: If the manager was bad (which was frequently the case), I was left confused and under trained
As a sales associate, I had no direction from management. Upper management made it difficult for store managers which reflected on keyholders, and sales associates. The company was geared toward skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding culture, but had since lost its vision and opted for more fashion brands that didn't reflect its own image. A series of buy outs from large corporations left district manager, and store manager turnovers high, and lower employee moral low.
I love my job, its a great place to work with positive people.
Key Holder (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCNovember 9, 2015
Pros: great environment to work in, great people, have learned lots.
Cons: not enough hours, don't get weekends off.
I usually start my day with checking emails and opening the tills, making sure everything is put away and clean for the day to come. I will do any transfer that have to be done in the morning and then when customers come into the store I greet them and help them accordingly. At the end of the day i will do all the closing duties, which includes washout, closing the doors, filing in the paper work for that day and re checking emails and putting in sales performances for the day. The hardest part of my job would have to be doing the visual for the clothing and making sure everything looks how it should be an up to date. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be meeting new people everyday and since the store is family oriented i get to see a lot of kids which is always fun. Another part is my management and sales get along very well and it is a good environment to be in.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2015
Greeted customers while they entered the store, kept store neat and tidy and helped close at the end of most of my shifts.
Fun Relaxed Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJune 8, 2015
Pros: Amazing Workplace
Cons: Short hours
Working at West 49 was a treat, All day I got to encounter great co-workers who made the experience much more than a normal retail job should have been, the work was constant (Cleaning up merchandise, having conversations with customers, giving people what they wanted instead of just trying to push sales was great) which I enjoyed greatly as it always kept me busy and mind off the clock.
Unorganized, and biased.
Full-Time Key Holder (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 2, 2015
Pros: Discount on clothing.
Cons: Management
Unprofessional management, unorganized upper management, and very little room for growth unless the individual has a personal relationship with upper management.
West 49
PT Key Holder (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Talk to customers, changing visual display every week. I learned all about skateboards and how to build one. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with. Hardest part of the job would be trying to help unsatisfied customers
great place
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), calgaryAugust 21, 2014
mangament is good hours are good advacmnet is good the company is good
best job
West 49 - Sales Associate (Current Employee), Milton, ONAugust 9, 2014
Pros: everything!
Cons: n/a
honestly the best place I have ever worked at in a long time
very chill with good vibes.
being able to build skateboards and customize for customers
Seasonal staff (Former Employee), ottawa ontarioJuly 1, 2014
Pros: skateboarding culture
Cons: being scheduled with little to no time between work schedules to get to one another.
I usually opened which I liked because I had the rest of the day off, it was usually slower even so for holiday wise but they taught you how to re grip skate boards and change out wheels, the people I worked with were pretty cool too! I love shopping there since I was a kid so working there was enjoyable.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 7, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: not enough hours
it was good, got to work with skateboards, fun environment, not stressful
Fun industry to work in
Store Manager (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 29, 2014
Pros: excellent discount, exciting brands
Plenty of challenges and opportunities, and new products at all times of the year.
Great place with great people
Part-Time Sales Assosiate (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 4, 2014
The store is a skateboarding shop so everyone one who came in or worked there all had something in common so it was easy for everyone to talk to each other. There was always laughs going around but it never interfered with work.
Wokplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: no breaks
Cons: i only work 5hrs
Introducing customers, and asking them how they are doing. asking them none business questions. What we have to accomplish are goal for the day. the management is OK i like the store manager i get a long with him perfect. there is no hard part with are job. Is building the decks for the customers
Fun work environment, with disorganized managment
Part Time Key Holder (Current Employee), Prince George, BCFebruary 2, 2014
Working at West 49 is awesome, but its never constant. Since I've been there we've had four different magangers and I'm looking for a place thats more consant. I love my job and working in retail I'm just looking for something new
seasonal job
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: not enough hours
West 49 was cool to work at but I wouldn't do seasonal again not many hours at all
Very positive workplace with a great group of people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: great discount, learned a lot about skateboards, shoes, and accessories.
Cons: a little bit further from home. working in the mall you get a lot of wanderers.
Typical day at work would be working sales on the floor selling clothes, bags, jackets, shoes or skateboards. Communicating with customers was an occurrence with every shift.

I learned how to fully assemble a skateboard and how to organize the different clothing sections properly and efficiently. Communicating with customers was another large role which I learned and how to react in different scenarios.

The managers were awesome, all of them were very positive and motivating. If something needed to be done it was addressed in a mature positive manner. The district manager was a little bit more harsh and had a few problems, but the store managers were great.

Co-workers were amazing. One of the best groups of people I've worked with. All young people in their early 20's or late teens. Everyone always had a positive attitude and was willing to help each other out when needed. We were all really close so there was never a shift where you wouldn't want to address or speak with another employee.

Hardest part of the job was probably having to close and go around the entire store to make sure everything was perfectly folded at the end of the night. Also, the shoebox walls in the back room were also very large and crammed so when we needed to get a pair of shoes, sometimes it could be a little tricky.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely working with who I got to work with. Everyone was so funny and positive that it made every day at work a great time. We would never have a dull moment but everyone was also able to be very serious when the store was really busy, but – more... no one every got frustrated with each other so there was no arguing or yelling. – less