West 49 Employee Reviews

Sweet place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 June 2017
I always enjoyed working there. At the time when I was there I wasn't a fan of the management. Now the management is great and the staff is awesome. Really chill environment. open-minded people.
Pros
great staff
Expect everything, but don't want to give back
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2017
I really enjoyed the other employees at my level, which made the job enjoyable. Working for YM Inc will definitely take a toll on your social life, but can be rewarding. It was at first for me, but it became too much.
Pros
The People
Cons
LONG hours
Bets job i have ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2017
I was in love working here I wish I never left ! this job was such a fun learning experience in my life. great first job to start off and their is lots of room to grow in the company
Very social
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON23 May 2017
Had to greet customers and farewell them as well. Help customers with finding and fetching items that they have asked for. Trying to be as knowledgeable about products as possible.
Great First Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
west was probably the best place iv'e worked as far as enjoying your job goes. the whole vibe is a lot more friendly than you would expect from a retail environment and management is strict about making sure the shifts are divided equally between employees.
Pros
cool staff, short hours
Cons
low pay
Decent place to work for a skater
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON9 May 2017
The seasonal job at Vaughan mills was great, it was fun and had good pay. West 49 opened up again in VM but will not reapply because its sadly not a job I would want again
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 April 2017
I loved working at West 49, I had super friendly co workers who were very helpful. Discounts were awesome! overall just a really good place to work. Would recommend
Pros
Laidback Staff
Cons
I didn't get any breaks because of my hours
Great workplace for young teenagers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook Mall/ Tsawwassen Mills/ Guildford Mall19 March 2017
The workplace was new for me since it was my first time working at a retail store. It was a different scenery which is what i wanted, i was curious on how would it feels to be a sales associate, it was cool, i had fun helping other customers getting what they what and making sure they are always happy with they're purchase and to hopefully seeing them soon. i receive a lot of compliments on how positive and energetic a was for sales associates, but then things went down for me due to managing problems.
Pros
20% OFF clothings
Cons
short hours, travelling distance
West 49 has changed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
Working in the west Edmonton mall west 49 is great, the only negative subject I can write about is the current management there, they are unprofessional and have favoritism with their employees, they base the amount of hours on who they like better, instead of who works hard, but other than that I enjoy the culture entwined with store, as there is a skate park there which is free for the less fortunate kids who don't have all the luxuries which are entitled to all the upper class or however you wanna categorize those certain people, which is another negative for me, the skate park is in perfect condition but the management is so caught up in their own little squabbles to see this is more than just about skateboarding is also a community, where you can interact with similar people, but overall it was a blast working for west 49.
Pros
Skate park, staff washrooms
Cons
Lack of hours, no staff meetings, lack of direction
Fun upbeat work environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC25 December 2016
Enjoy working for West 49. All of the upper management are very helpful and supportive. There is lots of room for growth and advancement and they are always training you for the next position up.
Very friendly and easy going environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
This job was very laid back and fun I had fun making new colleagues and putting out product felt cool to know what was in stock before everyone else I had troubles with memorizing the incentives every day but thats about it.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Good Managment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 July 2016
Fun workplace, lots of interaction with the community. Wish the company was more involved with the skate community like it use to be.
Excellent place to work with the best coworkers anyone could ask for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 June 2016
It's not often people can genuinely say they like their job, especially in retail. Working at West 49 has been the best experience. I've learned excellent customer service skills, how to handle money more responsibly, as well as just how retail works. Being able to work with "my kind of people" has been incredible.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Picker/Shipper/Reciever (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 May 2016
West 49 was an enjoyable place to work. The people were really friendly and I have built long standing relationships with a lot of the employees I worked with. There was no room for advancement but being able to go to work and enjoy your day was payment enough for some.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
No Room for Advancement
Enjoyable workplace with stellar co-workers and management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 March 2016
In my time at West 49, I learned how to fold various clothing, assist or approach customers, prepare incoming stock, etc. The co-workers and management was very welcoming and friendly.
productive and sane environment
labour (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 March 2016
the company is very good at customer relations. They have a cordial and respectable staff that are attentive to details and goal-oriented
Good starting job
Temporary Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 February 2016
It was a good job. I should have made more than minimum wage because I was a hard worker, worked more efficiently and harder than most of the sales associates
ping pong tables
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB22 February 2016
I kind of wish we had a table tennis table at work. it would be fun to play table tennis while at work. I am good at table tennis and would have one every match of table tennis.
Awesome place to work.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON3 February 2016
From day one I was welcomed in by all the staff and they treated me the most respect. It's always nice walking in when you work because all the staff become your friend's, we all get along, joke around and hang out outside of work. Example me and a couple guys always go snowboard and go play hockey at the outdoor rinks and have a great time. It's almost like an extended family the way you are accepted by them. I learned to deal with customers that come from all walks of life and to B.C.I.F. which means Believe, Connect, Inspire, Fulfill. So we have to great them as soon as they come in and make them feel welcome in the store, find a topic to connect with them with i.e. music, snowboard etc, inspire them so they see you as a fun person and just not another salesman, and fulfill by giving them a great shopping experience so they return to the store. I even have regular customers that will come in just to get help from me because i followed all those steps and made their shopping experience an amazing one.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
There's months where its slow and you don't get many hours
not what it used to be
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 January 2016
For years West 49 was an amazing company. I've never met a West 49 employee who wasn't genuine, kind, funny, and downright awesome! I am thankful everyday for the friendships that blossomed here! This was truly a great company to work for! The culture was alive in everyone employed there, the discount was phenomenal!!!! Now they are under new management and things just aren't the same. Very unstable, terribly organized. Employees don't know what's happening day to day with deals. Very confusing. The store was never as disorganized in all my years there as it has been this past year. Very disappointed with the outcome of the job I once loved more than anything and was so proud to call mine.
Pros
Great staff, awesome product, cool culture
Cons
new managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West 49. Our community is ready to answer.