West 49 Employee Reviews

n/a
Key Holder/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 December 2017
They just do not care about their employees.
unless you sell you dont get hours. If you dont get hours you cant sell. As it is retail the turn over rate is high.
Fun, Relaxing
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2017
Great place to work with a nice environment and ample opportunity for advancement. Loved the fact that its a skate shop but also includes everybody not just skaters
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 September 2017
Great place to work, connected with people and yourself. Learn new skills in pros and cons in sales. I wasn't that kind of person until I started working there.
Pros
Connection with myself and learning about myself.
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun Job
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB21 August 2017
Fun and laid back people. Store wasn't always super busy so it was like getting paid to fold clothes and hang out with your friends. Miss it tons, it was a great job.
Pros
Interesting coworkers
Cons
Sometimes boring due to slow business
Fun place to work, poor management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 August 2017
A workday in West 49 would be very fun, it's a very positive work environment and the people who work there are awesome and friendly. Unfortunately, the management was a complete disaster. The bosses didn't do half of their job description, when we complained the upper management they would take the managers side without hesitation and a proper investigation. Inside the store was always being moved around and was never consistent and the managers took their personal anger on us. I would never work at West 49 again.
Pros
The people there are so easy to get along with
Productive, skateboard shop
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 August 2017
Typical day at work includes, selling skateboard brand related merchandise. Building of skateboards and selling of tools and equipment. Good learning environment for skate culture and other related brands
Pros
learning to build boards and functions of different boards
Cons
no cons
Fantastic Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 July 2017
Fast paced and fun work place. Management was fantastic as was company as a whole. Until being bought out by YM. After being bought out quality of service as well as product being sold went down hill. Lost meaning behind the company.
Pros
great people, great product, overall fantastic company
Cons
sold out to a company that knew nothing about its products
Great people
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON7 July 2017
I only worked there as a coop student but it was honestly such a funny place to be. I enjoyed my time there joking around with employees but still getting things done.
Don't Waste Your Time Applying - Former Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2017
Do not waste your time in applying to this extremely chauvinistic, judgemental and disrespectful company. They aren't an equal opportunity employer in fact they're the exact opposite. You do have support of the district manager but that's about it. There is absolutely no work/life balance and you're expected to work over time and every weekend with little to no days off. don't even think about taking any kind of vacation if your in management even if you're entitled to it it'll never happen! The company is declining heavily and sinking like the Titanic you will never advance in your position and will never be given a proper performance review and no raise ever! So don't work for West 49 you'll regret it! All the good people have left just sayin...
Pros
Get paid for stat holidays
Cons
Where do I begin....
good staff, poor hours
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2017
Honestly, the job's not bad. the management isn't awesome and the hours are horrible. Everything else is good. the work is manageable and the overall atmosphere at the job is good.
Sweet place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 June 2017
I always enjoyed working there. At the time when I was there I wasn't a fan of the management. Now the management is great and the staff is awesome. Really chill environment. open-minded people.
Pros
great staff
Expect everything, but don't want to give back
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2017
I really enjoyed the other employees at my level, which made the job enjoyable. Working for YM Inc will definitely take a toll on your social life, but can be rewarding. It was at first for me, but it became too much.
Pros
The People
Cons
LONG hours
Understaffed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB26 May 2017
Needs more staff
Management takes on so much responsibility at these stores and they need a store with strong team leads, you need to be able to give more frequent shifts to key holders
Cons
Blackout periods for vacation over all major holidays
Bets job i have ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2017
I was in love working here I wish I never left ! this job was such a fun learning experience in my life. great first job to start off and their is lots of room to grow in the company
Very social
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON23 May 2017
Had to greet customers and farewell them as well. Help customers with finding and fetching items that they have asked for. Trying to be as knowledgeable about products as possible.
Great First Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
west was probably the best place iv'e worked as far as enjoying your job goes. the whole vibe is a lot more friendly than you would expect from a retail environment and management is strict about making sure the shifts are divided equally between employees.
Pros
cool staff, short hours
Cons
low pay
Decent place to work for a skater
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON9 May 2017
The seasonal job at Vaughan mills was great, it was fun and had good pay. West 49 opened up again in VM but will not reapply because its sadly not a job I would want again
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 April 2017
I loved working at West 49, I had super friendly co workers who were very helpful. Discounts were awesome! overall just a really good place to work. Would recommend
Pros
Laidback Staff
Cons
I didn't get any breaks because of my hours
Great workplace for young teenagers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook Mall/ Tsawwassen Mills/ Guildford Mall19 March 2017
The workplace was new for me since it was my first time working at a retail store. It was a different scenery which is what i wanted, i was curious on how would it feels to be a sales associate, it was cool, i had fun helping other customers getting what they what and making sure they are always happy with they're purchase and to hopefully seeing them soon. i receive a lot of compliments on how positive and energetic a was for sales associates, but then things went down for me due to managing problems.
Pros
20% OFF clothings
Cons
short hours, travelling distance
West 49 has changed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
Working in the west Edmonton mall west 49 is great, the only negative subject I can write about is the current management there, they are unprofessional and have favoritism with their employees, they base the amount of hours on who they like better, instead of who works hard, but other than that I enjoy the culture entwined with store, as there is a skate park there which is free for the less fortunate kids who don't have all the luxuries which are entitled to all the upper class or however you wanna categorize those certain people, which is another negative for me, the skate park is in perfect condition but the management is so caught up in their own little squabbles to see this is more than just about skateboarding is also a community, where you can interact with similar people, but overall it was a blast working for west 49.
Pros
Skate park, staff washrooms
Cons
Lack of hours, no staff meetings, lack of direction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West 49. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9