WESCAST INDUSTRIES Employee Reviews

Best Company I've Ever Had The Privilege To Be Employed By
Core Dept/Clean and Ship Dept (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON15 October 2017
This company went above and beyond when it came to safety, benefits, wages, bonuses to name some. I would still be there if our plant didn't shut down. Some of the things they did for their employees I'm still yet to see or hear of anywhere. Very unfortunate they had to shut down the Brantford foundry. To give you an idea of how much people enjoyed this company, in 7+years I moved up 2 spots on the seniority list and the only reason that happened is 2 people took management positions.(not at the same time)
Pros
Monthly Bonus, Free Training(college credits)Free Coffee/Tea/Hot Chocolate, Surprise catered lunches, Wages/Benefits, Management, Their emphasis on safety. Team Morale
Cons
Very hot, dirty and at times unsafe work, even though they did everything possible to make it as safe as it could be, Working 12 hour continental shift, Very hard to make your way up seniority list.
Was a very good employeer
Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON3 March 2017
Typical work day 10-14 hrs include weekends
Management not in touch with manufacturing needs
Set un-realistic goals that are detrimental to the customer
Pros
Wages and benefits
great people poor leadership
Logistics Coordinator and Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON8 April 2016
great people but very mismanaged, leaders do not work together
no support from leadership mismanaged, conflict minimumal direction, coworkers ok work load balanced
Well managed company with room for advancement
Health and Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wingham Ontario27 March 2016
Wescast Ind. is the worlds largest manufacturer of exhaust manifolds for the automotive industry which means the best quality standards and safety requirements that exceed industry standards. A great place to work with well balanced union management relations. Wescast was apart of my life for 15 years which allowed me to not only gain professional experience but personal achievement as well.
Pros
large company with room for advancement
Cons
general factory work
Diverse and interesting ways of making cast iron and steel parts for the automotive industry
CAD Designer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 February 2016
A typical day involves management of CAD data - evaluating incoming customer data then creating from those parts a model that can be cast and also machined. Once approved by the customer, the cast model is then prepped as a single impression mould to be delivered to a tooling vendor to make the finished full tooling. We prefer to control where the parting lines go and how the coreprinting looks and let the tooling vendor add the venting, blow tubes, plate clearances etc so we can have a faster throughput of parts. Initially when I started to work for Wescast we were more involved with the product design but the OEM's took back that responsibility so now we ensure their designs can actually be made - because often times the casting process is not considered by the OEM's when they create their product models. So there was a change in direction for my department which has led to very accurate part models and drawings going to the OEM's - showing loading and draft and feeder paths or any other modifications we might have to make to get a high quality casting made. The most enjoyable part and the most difficult part of the job is really the same thing - using your abilities to understand what needs to be done to get a "cast-able" part and then modelling it accurately because every part is different. Some parts are very complex and require several cores others are fairly simple and straightforward.
Pros
Stays up to date with technology
Cons
Shrinking industry
look closely at the union agreement
starting production labour (Former Employee) –  Wingham, ON3 February 2016
I was hired on a second wave of new employees, the first groop apparently quit once found other work.
A few employees in the lunch room told me a lot of changes have occurred since the company had been sold to these new owners. Look closely at your union agreement. As any job... yes show dedication and be rewarded. ... but 10yrs? Before you make a livable wage. $18.50? You will start at a progressive system $13.85is 70% of your going rate. And a year before benefits. If your fresh outta school it might be a good opportunity, but if you have bills and family it doesn't look well.
I once wanted to work for the great Wescast that valued there people, but doesn't show from the New owners. The adds look good and the people I met where great, but you will see and feel that something
is being said but held back from ya.
The problem seems way up, not on the floor.
Pros
People I met, Supervisor, Staff and employees.
Cons
Research the rumours. starting wage program may be difficult compared to most programs
Good workplace with gym and a lot to learn
Jnr Technologist TDC (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON25 May 2015
typical day included running test stands and machining test samples
learnt how the rel world scenarios play out, responsibility and team work capabilities
Pros
room to improve and advance
Cons
long processes
wescast industries
CNC machine operator (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON18 April 2014
I enjoyed the fact that I was always busy,if there were cycle times,or the machine was down I could go help in another part of the cell,was trained in different cells,were I gained further knowledge of benefit to the company.often I would go watch other positions,and help and train at the same time.
enjoyed my fellow workers,always someone who is good with the jokes in any work place.every one very helpful when being trained in different cells.
Was a great place to work
MOLDER (Former Employee) –  Brantford, Ontario11 December 2013
Culture was good at Wescast. A lot of good people worked there. I would still be there if they had not closed the plant I was at.
Very fun/proffesional work enviroment
production technician/forklift operator (Former Employee) –  wingham maching18 November 2011
I loved working at wescast industries ,i terminated my employment there to take care of disabled husband.
Great place to work , very good benefits and pay. I have no complaints, met many great friends and people at Wescast.
Pros
competible wages
Cons
very hot and dirty