Position No.: 2013-23
Position Title: Public Health Nurse – Permanent
35 hrs/week – 1 FTE
Location: Woolwich - Guelph
Program/Division: Healthy Babies, Healthy Children, Child Health, Reproductive Health
Family Health & Health Analytics
Program Manager: HBHC and Preschool Speech and Language
Position Summary: This position provides programs and services as mandated by the Ontario Public Health Standards for Family Health including:
- Reproductive Health, including preconception health, prenatal health and education, preparation for parenting.
- Child Health, including breastfeeding support and education, safe and supportive environments for children, injury prevention (0-6 yrs), positive parenting, healthy growth and development, healthy eating, weight and physical activity, healthy family dynamics, and Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC).
Work may occur in a variety of settings including clinics and clients’ homes using a variety of nursing interventions including:
- Health promotion – Participate in planning and delivery of health promotion strategies and services related to reproductive and child health programs; which includes preconception health, pre-birth assessments, prenatal education and support. Focus is on prenatal home visiting, parenting, breastfeeding, healthy child growth and development, mental health, system of care and service to priority populations, including HBHC.
- Personal skills development – Working with high risk families in 1:1 approach.
- Community capacity building - Working with community partners and health unit staff to develop strategies to increase personal skills and education, build community capacity, and create supportive environments.
- Community Engagement – Working with groups and community neighborhoods to enhance their ability to respond, address and become proactive with emerging health related issues related to reproductive and child health programs.
Hours of Work:
- As per ONA Collective Agreement
- Potential for increased hours during peak season.
Salary: $37.54/hr to $41.50/hr
Position Effective: As soon as possible
Other Requirements: * Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited University
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Knowledge of maternal, infant and child health, human behavior/change theory, and best/promising practice related to working with high risk families
- Knowledgeable of impact of social determinants of health
- Strong facilitation skills
- Excellent assessment and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication, organization, analytical and critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to work as an active team member, as well as being self-directed
- Experience in the following areas preferred:
. Healthy Babies Healthy Children
. Level 1 and 2 Breastfeeding would be an asset
. Prenatal and postpartum assessments
. Supporting positive parenting, breastfeeding and child growth and
. Working with at risk and priority populations
. Providing education/support in both 1:1 and group settings
- Certification in NCAST PCI Scales, experience with PIPE, PMMHDP, Keys to Caregiving and motivational interviewing an asset
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza immunization and adult immunization.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please forward a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
474 Wellington Road 18, Suite 100
Fax (519) 846-0323
Deadline for application is Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
“WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment".