WEBCOM Employee Reviews

frustrating experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
I was manufacturing manager at Webcom for 5 years. I have never in my life been through such a frustrating situation. Everyday I went to work I thought it would be my last day due to threats from upper management or leaving myself just because I have had enough. Continually having to discipline good employees who work hard just because they did not meet unrealistic goals took its toll on me. Avoid this company if you have self respect because they can make you feel like you are useless.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Complete sweat shop
Bindery Operator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 October 2016
I have almost 20 yrs working in this industry and i would rather rip my own skin off than to work for such a miserable, backstabbing dehumanizing group of people and company, no breaks at all, all day except for an unpaid lunch, can't even go to the bathroom, or get a drink without being penalized, save yourself the misery and false hope, STAY AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS
Pros
Absolutly NONE
Solid team environment
Manufacturing management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2016
Overall, a good place to work. There are challenges, just like any other workplace, but the team approach to working through these challenges is impressive and enjoyable.
Worst experience ever
Bindery Operator (Former Employee) –  Bindery20 September 2016
Horrible management, they do not understand printing whatsoever. They push unrealistic goals on you until you go crazy. If you try and explain any issue they do not believe you. If you try and talk to the president he rolls his eyes at everything you say. Very bad experience for me.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Rarly get full hours, if you go to another dept to make up hours they cut your pay
employee turnover is unbelievable
bindery operator (Former Employee) –  webcom30 January 2015
I was a bindery employee for over 20 years and in that time I have seen over 15 bindery managers pass through the doors in most other positions it is the same thing unless you are in desperate need of a job I would listen to the other reviews and avoid Webcom. It was a good learning experience but that was it.
Pros
not many
Cons
stressful, not a team environment, poor management
Incompetent, misleading and dishonest organization
Indigo Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2014
Webcom is an irresponsible, incompetent and dishonest organization that has misled and misrepresented their employment needs to me. I have wasted months keeping my schedule open for them in case they would call me into work - they never did. Then recently they screwed me around again.

Back in May 2014, I responded to their ad for a full time Indigo digital press operator position. After a series of interviews they changed the position from full time to part time and asked me to come in for a trial work assessment. The work trial went well and they wanted to know how soon I could start, so I cleared my schedule anticipating an offer and then waited... six weeks later they offered me a contract for a part time operator on call (no regularly scheduled hours). I accepted their offer and signed their contract. I was registered into the company security and time sheet system. I spent a week in training at the company. At the end of my training week, the department manager, told that he would be contact me the next week with my schedule. The following week I called to inquire if I was scheduled for any work and was told that I was not scheduled for any work was nothing. I called every week for several weeks and each time I was told that the sales forecasts had not been met so there was no work for me. After waiting for months and not being scheduled for any work I gave up and sought other employment.

Two and a half weeks ago the department manager called me and asked if I wanted work as the full time day shift operator. Given my previous experience with Webcom I wanted assurances
  more... that the position would be a stable and that I could expect to work a regular 37.5 hours per week. He told me that they could cross train me so that I could work in other areas if there was not enough work in my area and that they were looking to fill the position ASAP. I said that I would be hand in my notice as soon as I saw my supervisor and that I would be able to start in two weeks time. My supervisor was out of the office that day, so that evening I sent the manager and HR an email stating that I would not be resigning from my current work until I had received a written offer of employment from them. After waiting several days I then followed up with phone call to HR and was told that the department manager had met with the company executives and after reviewing the situation they could not offer me a full time position but that I could pick my own hours. I considered the new offer for a few days and left a massage to say that I would accept this arrangement. After not getting a response I called HR who said that she had drafted a letter of offer and that it was now in the hands of the department manager. The next week I called HR again, she said the manager would have to call me. The next day the manager left a voice mail to say that they did not have enough work load to take me on. Two days later they had posted a full time Indigo Operator position on line and were looking for someone with more certifications.

Do not waste your precious time expecting to get any work from this company. I tried to accommodate all their changes in work requirements and spent months hoping to build my career with them but ended up with nothing. I would not trust them.
stay away
manufacturing (Former Employee) –  toronto3 November 2014
The management in this company feel they own you. They cancel your shifts during the week and then expect you to work the weekend for straight time. There is a revolving door of employees and managers. As soon as they see that you are not valuable or they will replace you for someone who makes less money, so don't go on vacation, or you could be gone. They will decide for you when you can take your vacation You will never be good enough. It is a complete sweat shop. Some co-workers are extremely nice but there is a culture, created by management, for people to back stab your co workers. People are generally unhappy. It is the most disorganized company I have been in. I am not a disgruntled employee I just don't want to see people in a bad situation.
Pros
no pros
Cons
you are not treated as if you are a human being
Prodcutive operations role
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  toronto, on15 September 2014
I've learned quite a bit in regards to manufacturing as I've worn many different hats at Webcom. Please refer to my resume, and feel free to ask any questions.
great people; team environment
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2013
In my years at Webcom I learned a great deal about book manufacturing which included the printing of the text signatures on web presses; the printing of covers on various stocks and utilizing various coatings to the different bindings - perfect binding, layflat binding and stitching. As a project manager I "owned" the job from the time it was won by the sales team, through the submission of files, the manufacturing and shipping through to final delivery. Any bumps along the way were quickly addressed and resolved.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Webcom. Yes a great many days were long days but they were not boring days. The reward was holding the final product - seeing that it was good and knowing that your customer was happy with their experience at Webcom and that you had done your job well.

The hardest part at Webcom were the years of downsizing due to the changing markets; seeing your friends escorted out and knowing you could also be on that list - terminated without prejudice.

The most enjoyable part was the people. They were great - supportive, helpful, a multicultural community all with the same goal...customer satisfaction.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
24/7 on call; long hours