Wawanesa Insurance Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Application Developer II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 July 2016
Every day is very stressfull due to tight project schedule. I have to do self study for new software. I have learned lot of new programming language because of new training provided. Some of co-worker always discriminate me. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things everyday.
Pros
Learn a lot about IT
Cons
Long hours of work
excellent mentoring and employee benifits
Intermediate Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge Alberta10 August 2016
Wawanesa Insurance is a very good company to grow in with an insurance career. I was sad to leave however I had to relocate across the country.
Pros
Pot luck lunches, Summer BBQ's, Employee Games days
Cons
TIme management when a Catastrophe happens
Best place to work
Accountant 1 (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 August 2016
Best place to work
I am glad and blessed to work here. I like everything the company offers. From salary, hours, co-workers to job it self.

The bad thing is just the location. I have to take the bus to work
Pros
flexibility
Cons
location
Management was poor
Telephone Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
It was a great company overall. Training was not enough because I wanted to learn more about the position before I start. Management was very poor also and that is why most people quit.
Pros
Salary
Productive and Inspiring
Claims Adjuster Automobile (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2016
Would recommend to anyone who is seeking a career in insurance to work at Wawawanesa. Great staff and learned so much. Surrounded by very knowledgable and supporting staff.
Poor Work Environment
Auto Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary5 January 2016
- Unrealistic expectations
- Poor Morale
- Poor Management
- Unable to discuss problems with HR, no support
- No socialization allowed
A confused and confounded business model
IS Support (Former Employee) –  Winnpeg22 June 2015
Management doesn't know what they want and don't want to hear where there is a problem. To voice a problem is to admit there is one. There are no problems... say it over and over again to yourself and you will be fine at this company.

Be prepared to tell your manager in 20 pages or more every year why they should not fire you. It is a requirement to justify your existence. Be prepared for your manager to come up with a reason why they should fire you and surprise you with that on your annual review. What the manager says in your review can not be challenged.

There will be no training. No accolades for a job well done. You will always be "meeting expectations" and any increase in pay will be 1-3% of what you are making at start up. Be cheerful with that and thank your manager profusely.
Cons
Management scare tactics
If you don't care, work in this department
Information Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Corporate18 May 2015
Management in IS is only concerned with their pet projects, not the rest of the company. As an insurer, one would think that the day to day operations of the company would be paramount, but this isn't so. It's all about making management look good and not about the clients, brokers, underwriters or adjusters. You are not allowed to escalate problems to other management (those that are affected by the failure of the systems) and are required to lie to various stake holders. Basically if you can suck up and don't care about the quality of work you do and have the capability to lie to the CEO on down, you'll fit right in.
Pros
Education, Benefits
Decent Company - Needs To Modernize
Property Claims Adjuster I (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 November 2014
Decent company to work for with good benefits and hours, however company does need to modernize to be competitive with other insurers. Often caseloads are unreasonable and the time given to complete files was not even realistic. Very very poor training methods, for the most part is up to the adjuster to research on there own what is required of them .
Pros
Benefits, Hours
Cons
Long Hours with no pay due to salary, company only offers overtime to attend claims, not to complete paperwork which is the real time consumer.
Supervisor always bring cupcakes and chocolates every department meeting.
Junior Intake Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Mb27 August 2014
Overall rating is 5 stars
Focus and positive attitude to finish your task on cut off time.
Lots of things to learn at your own pace with expectation of accurate accomplishment of your job. Good incentive from the management for all the job well done. Co workers always share and give encouragement for the newly hired employees. There is only hardest part of the job when there is no teamwork within the department.Whenever there is incentive to do something and get the price is awesome.
Very supportive family like atmosphere
Claims Clerical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario11 June 2014
work is a combination of phones and computer work.
Customer service is a big part of everything we do. I have a firm understanding of the insurance industry which has helped me make decisions about my own personal property and auto insurance.
Love the people I work with and dealing with the public.
Pros
great social club that keeps workiers engaged at work and outside of work
Cons
you can have days where you have a plan for that day, and then chaos hits and that goes out the window
Great Management Support and Room for Advancement
Telephone Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 March 2014
Flexible work hours here, so ability to pick what start time works best for you.
Each Adjuster handles his/her own file and follows them through to completion.
Face to face interaction as well as over the phone with Insureds.
Open concept of the office sometimes is a downside as there's not a lot of privacy with calls.
Satisfaction in handling a claim and putting Insured's back on thier feet and allieviating thier stress.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Co-workers are close and office can sometimes get really loud.
Don't value employees, paranoid management culture.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Calgary27 May 2013
Inconsistent HR policies (in my opinion) (4 HR managers in as many years?), command/control style of leadership, and generally low pay for both the labour market and the Insurance industry. There is also a high turnover in this company, but they do not care. Poor treatment is also shown to managers by executive leadership, so no one is immune. Overall the workload was not unreasonable, and my coworkers were friendly enough, but the company simply does not value it's employees. During my time there I witnessed them force out several medium to long term employees who by peer opinion seemed to be performing just fine. I believe this largely has to do with the aforementioned command/control philosophy of executive leadership.
An excellent work experience
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 August 2015
Working for Wawanesa Mutual has been wonderful. The only reason I am considering leaving the company is to relocate to the Grey-Bruce area to be near family and live in a new area.
Poor Management, Too Much Office Politics,
Senior Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2015
Poor Management, too much politics, clicks, .
Busy days at work, hardest part of job was the politics couldn't trust anyone to much back stabbing to get up in the company. I enjoyed my pay cheque every two weeks.
Excellent learning experience
Claims Adjuster / Claims Examiner (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 August 2013
A typical day is one that most definitely keeps one occupied. Each adjuster will have a minimum of 200 files, and many activities in a day. Each adjuster is trained in multiple lines, giving them an opportunity to view all different kinds of insurance. This would include, corporate, commercial, liability, bodily injury (includes required knowledge of auto and ab), CAT losses, and property. Some individuals from the management team are exceptional. Each worker is assigned a buddy , which allows for file handling while in absence. The hardest part of the job would most surely be handling multiple files, multiple deadlines, multiple directions from superiors. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the co-workers attitudes, and the learning experience that's made available.
Pros
Ability to eat lunch at your desk, great people
Cons
Long hours, overtime
Rewarding career
Senior Automobile Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Moncton15 September 2013
For the most part it was a very rewarding career. I enjoyed working with the different brokers across the Maritimes.
There was encouragement for taking courses and help was offered.
At the time I retired I felt that I had the best department manager at that time then I did over the years.
Productive and disciplined work place
Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee) –  West Broadway, Vancouver, BC20 May 2013
Very old fashioned company with DOS based computer system . Multi cultural, respect others values, good pension plan, salary average , encourage learning and development.
Pros
Financially stable
Cons
Technology is too old to compete with world class corporate companies.
Challenging work environment
Business Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2014
Examine daily system reports and report any abnormalities
Answer clients requests in a timely manner
Trouble shoot problems with systems
Escalate system problems as necessary
Provide real time system support
Assess functionality of systems
Fast pace and busy environment
Senior Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2015
- Inputting claims into claim centre
- attaching documents to claims
- processing payments
- learned how to use Excel
- Pleasant and helpful co-worker
Pros
Free activites for employees twice a year
Cons
Insufficent personal days