Wawanesa Insurance Employee Reviews in Canada

If you don't care, work in this department
Information Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg CorporateMay 18, 2015
Management in IS is only concerned with their pet projects, not the rest of the company. As an insurer, one would think that the day to day operations of the company would be paramount, but this isn't so. It's all about making management look good and not about the clients, brokers, underwriters or adjusters. You are not allowed to escalate problems to other management (those that are affected by the failure of the systems) and are required to lie to various stake holders. Basically if you can suck up and don't care about the quality of work you do and have the capability to lie to the CEO on down, you'll fit right in.
Pros
Education, Benefits
Fun Workplace
Application Developer II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 9, 2016
Every day is very stressfull due to tight project schedule. I have to do self study for new software. I have learned lot of new programming language because of new training provided. Some of co-worker always discriminate me. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things everyday.
Pros
Learn a lot about IT
Cons
Long hours of work
Productive and Inspiring
Claims Adjuster Automobile (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 3, 2016
Would recommend to anyone who is seeking a career in insurance to work at Wawawanesa. Great staff and learned so much. Surrounded by very knowledgable and supporting staff.
Decent Company - Needs To Modernize
Property Claims Adjuster I (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 17, 2014
Decent company to work for with good benefits and hours, however company does need to modernize to be competitive with other insurers. Often caseloads are unreasonable and the time given to complete files was not even realistic. Very very poor training methods, for the most part is up to the adjuster to research on there own what is required of them .
Pros
benefits, hours
Cons
long hours with no pay due to salary, company only offers overtime to attend claims, not to complete paperwork which is the real time consumer.
WAH WAH NESA
Jr.Mail Clerk (Shipper/Receiver) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 24, 2012
This company is by far the most challenging job experience I have yet been burdened by. Management alone acts as if they are in preschool, firing those who they "do not like" for reasons unexplained. They go about things cowardly and childishly, by making up lies saying that the person they fired, took early retirement. They are hypocritical when it comes to the dress code, letting the claims department be the only department to get away with everything. They under pay you while increasing the work load. The benefits are about the only thing other than some of the coworkers who are worth sticking it through for another day. The chance of improving yourself within the company is a joke and the morale is even worse than not being able to move up effectively. Hard work is not recognized and it seems that's all they want you to do... is work your behind off. They don't care if you hate your job, their logic is that if you don't like how things work, leave. Gong show for sure.
Pros
some of the people, benefits
Cons
everything else.
Poor Work Environment
Auto Adjuster (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 5, 2016
- Unrealistic expectations
- Poor Morale
- Poor Management
- Unable to discuss problems with HR, no support
- No socialization allowed
A confused and confounded business model
IS Support (Former Employee) –  WinnpegJune 22, 2015
Management doesn't know what they want and don't want to hear where there is a problem. To voice a problem is to admit there is one. There are no problems... say it over and over again to yourself and you will be fine at this company.

Be prepared to tell your manager in 20 pages or more every year why they should not fire you. It is a requirement to justify your existence. Be prepared for your manager to come up with a reason why they should fire you and surprise you with that on your annual review. What the manager says in your review can not be challenged.

There will be no training. No accolades for a job well done. You will always be "meeting expectations" and any increase in pay will be 1-3% of what you are making at start up. Be cheerful with that and thank your manager profusely.
Cons
Management scare tactics
Productive and disciplined work place
Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee) –  West Broadway, Vancouver, BCMay 20, 2013
Very old fashioned company with DOS based computer system . Multi cultural, respect others values, good pension plan, salary average , encourage learning and development.
Pros
financially stable
Cons
technology is too old to compete with world class corporate companies.
Excellent learning experience
Claims Adjuster / Claims Examiner (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 22, 2013
A typical day is one that most definitely keeps one occupied. Each adjuster will have a minimum of 200 files, and many activities in a day. Each adjuster is trained in multiple lines, giving them an opportunity to view all different kinds of insurance. This would include, corporate, commercial, liability, bodily injury (includes required knowledge of auto and ab), CAT losses, and property. Some individuals from the management team are exceptional. Each worker is assigned a buddy , which allows for file handling while in absence. The hardest part of the job would most surely be handling multiple files, multiple deadlines, multiple directions from superiors. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the co-workers attitudes, and the learning experience that's made available.
Pros
ability to eat lunch at your desk, great people
Cons
long hours, overtime
Poor Management, Too Much Office Politics,
Senior Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 14, 2015
Poor Management, too much politics, clicks, .
Busy days at work, hardest part of job was the politics couldn't trust anyone to much back stabbing to get up in the company. I enjoyed my pay cheque every two weeks.
Good company
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2012
Good company to work for, good benefits and fast growing company
An excellent work experience
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 15, 2015
Working for Wawanesa Mutual has been wonderful. The only reason I am considering leaving the company is to relocate to the Grey-Bruce area to be near family and live in a new area.
Don't value employees, paranoid management culture.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMay 27, 2013
Inconsistent HR policies (in my opinion) (4 HR managers in as many years?), command/control style of leadership, and generally low pay for both the labour market and the Insurance industry. There is also a high turnover in this company, but they do not care. Poor treatment is also shown to managers by executive leadership, so no one is immune. Overall the workload was not unreasonable, and my coworkers were friendly enough, but the company simply does not value it's employees. During my time there I witnessed them force out several medium to long term employees who by peer opinion seemed to be performing just fine. I believe this largely has to do with the aforementioned command/control philosophy of executive leadership.
Supervisor always bring cupcakes and chocolates every department meeting.
Junior Intake Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MbAugust 27, 2014
Overall rating is 5 stars
Focus and positive attitude to finish your task on cut off time.
Lots of things to learn at your own pace with expectation of accurate accomplishment of your job. Good incentive from the management for all the job well done. Co workers always share and give encouragement for the newly hired employees. There is only hardest part of the job when there is no teamwork within the department.Whenever there is incentive to do something and get the price is awesome.
Great Management Support and Room for Advancement
Telephone Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 6, 2014
Flexible work hours here, so ability to pick what start time works best for you.
Each Adjuster handles his/her own file and follows them through to completion.
Face to face interaction as well as over the phone with Insureds.
Open concept of the office sometimes is a downside as there's not a lot of privacy with calls.
Satisfaction in handling a claim and putting Insured's back on thier feet and allieviating thier stress.
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
co-workers are close and office can sometimes get really loud.
Fast pace and busy environment
Senior Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2015
- Inputting claims into claim centre
- attaching documents to claims
- processing payments
- learned how to use Excel
- Pleasant and helpful co-worker
Pros
free activites for employees twice a year
Cons
insufficent personal days
Wawanesa was a great company to work for when I was there.
Executive Assistant to the President and CEO (Former Employee) –  191 Broadway, WinnipegDecember 14, 2014
I retired from Wawanesa in October, 2013 after a very reward career of 17 years.
Very supportive family like atmosphere
Claims Clerical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 11, 2014
work is a combination of phones and computer work.
Customer service is a big part of everything we do. I have a firm understanding of the insurance industry which has helped me make decisions about my own personal property and auto insurance.
Love the people I work with and dealing with the public.
Pros
great social club that keeps workiers engaged at work and outside of work
Cons
you can have days where you have a plan for that day, and then chaos hits and that goes out the window
Fun, Tight-knit Company
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 3, 2015
I complete projects for the HR manager, to prepare for audits, and to keep electronic copies of records. I find missing information in employee files and complete all employee files.
Rewarding career
Senior Automobile Underwriter (Former Employee) –  MonctonSeptember 15, 2013
For the most part it was a very rewarding career. I enjoyed working with the different brokers across the Maritimes.
There was encouragement for taking courses and help was offered.
At the time I retired I felt that I had the best department manager at that time then I did over the years.