Wawanesa Insurance Employee Reviews

Best place to work
Accountant 1 (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 August 2016
Best place to work
I am glad and blessed to work here. I like everything the company offers. From salary, hours, co-workers to job it self.

The bad thing is just the location. I have to take the bus to work
Pros
flexibility
Cons
location
excellent mentoring and employee benifits
Intermediate Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge Alberta10 August 2016
Wawanesa Insurance is a very good company to grow in with an insurance career. I was sad to leave however I had to relocate across the country.
Pros
Pot luck lunches, Summer BBQ's, Employee Games days
Cons
TIme management when a Catastrophe happens
Fun Workplace
Application Developer II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 July 2016
Every day is very stressfull due to tight project schedule. I have to do self study for new software. I have learned lot of new programming language because of new training provided. Some of co-worker always discriminate me. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things everyday.
Pros
Learn a lot about IT
Cons
Long hours of work
Management was poor
Telephone Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
It was a great company overall. Training was not enough because I wanted to learn more about the position before I start. Management was very poor also and that is why most people quit.
Pros
Salary
Productive and Inspiring
Claims Adjuster Automobile (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2016
Would recommend to anyone who is seeking a career in insurance to work at Wawawanesa. Great staff and learned so much. Surrounded by very knowledgable and supporting staff.
Poor Work Environment
- Unable to discuss problems with HR, no support
- No socialization allowed
An excellent work experience
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 August 2015
Working for Wawanesa Mutual has been wonderful. The only reason I am considering leaving the company is to relocate to the Grey-Bruce area to be near family and live in a new area.
A confused and confounded business model
IS Support (Former Employee) –  Winnpeg22 June 2015
Management doesn't know what they want and don't want to hear where there is a problem. To voice a problem is to admit there is one. There are no problems... say it over and over again to yourself and you will be fine at this company.

Be prepared to tell your manager in 20 pages or more every year why they should not fire you. It is a requirement to justify your existence. Be prepared for your manager to come up with a reason why they should fire you and surprise you with that on your annual review. What the manager says in your review can not be challenged.

There will be no training. No accolades for a job well done. You will always be "meeting expectations" and any increase in pay will be 1-3% of what you are making at start up. Be cheerful with that and thank your manager profusely.
Cons
Management scare tactics
Poor Management, Too Much Office Politics,
Senior Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2015
Poor Management, too much politics, clicks, .
Busy days at work, hardest part of job was the politics couldn't trust anyone to much back stabbing to get up in the company. I enjoyed my pay cheque every two weeks.
If you don't care, work in this department
Information Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Corporate18 May 2015
Management in IS is only concerned with their pet projects, not the rest of the company. As an insurer, one would think that the day to day operations of the company would be paramount, but this isn't so. It's all about making management look good and not about the clients, brokers, underwriters or adjusters. You are not allowed to escalate problems to other management (those that are affected by the failure of the systems) and are required to lie to various stake holders. Basically if you can suck up and don't care about the quality of work you do and have the capability to lie to the CEO on down, you'll fit right in.
Pros
Education, Benefits
Cons
Fast pace and busy environment
Senior Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2015
- Inputting claims into claim centre
- attaching documents to claims
- processing payments
- learned how to use Excel
- Pleasant and helpful co-worker
Pros
Free activites for employees twice a year
Cons
Insufficent personal days
Fun, Tight-knit Company
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2015
I complete projects for the HR manager, to prepare for audits, and to keep electronic copies of records. I find missing information in employee files and complete all employee files.
Wawanesa was a great company to work for when I was there.
Executive Assistant to the President and CEO (Former Employee) –  191 Broadway, Winnipeg14 December 2014
I retired from Wawanesa in October, 2013 after a very reward career of 17 years.
Insurance
Insurance Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2014
Contact center environment
• Verify and code new auto policies
• Process various endorsements
• Assist brokers with policy inquires and policy changes
• Apply payments
Pros
hours
Cons
Distance from home
Decent Company - Needs To Modernize
Property Claims Adjuster I (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 November 2014
Decent company to work for with good benefits and hours, however company does need to modernize to be competitive with other insurers. Often caseloads are unreasonable and the time given to complete files was not even realistic. Very very poor training methods, for the most part is up to the adjuster to research on there own what is required of them .
Pros
Benefits, Hours
Cons
Long Hours with no pay due to salary, company only offers overtime to attend claims, not to complete paperwork which is the real time consumer.
Supervisor always bring cupcakes and chocolates every department meeting.
Junior Intake Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Mb27 August 2014
Overall rating is 5 stars
Focus and positive attitude to finish your task on cut off time.
Lots of things to learn at your own pace with expectation of accurate accomplishment of your job. Good incentive from the management for all the job well done. Co workers always share and give encouragement for the newly hired employees. There is only hardest part of the job when there is no teamwork within the department.Whenever there is incentive to do something and get the price is awesome.
Wawanesa
Junior Intake Clerk, Temporary (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 August 2014
A typical day at Wawanesa depends on what task you have been given for that particular day. For example, if I had been placed on credit card processing, I would start my day off by printing all the faxes. These faxes are a mixture of payments and bank changes. I sort through these faxes, keeping the payments for myself and passing the bank changes to the person responsible. I make sure all the information is correct on the payments and sort them and hand them off to the person in charge of putting the final product through. I will also spend time opening and sorting through cheques. The hardest part of this is making sure all the payments are put through before 2:30pm. Often it is a fast-paced environment in order to get everything done in time.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the fact that there is always something to do and my co-workers are fantastic and interesting people. I truly enjoy working with them and they make my time at Wawanesa very enjoyable.
I have learned many things while working at Wawanesa. I have learned cheque processing, credit card processing, mail extraction on the mail machines and mail distribution. All of these tasks require a lot of attention to detail and deadlines.
Pros
Great co-workers, lots to do
Cons
Can get repetitive at times
Very supportive family like atmosphere
Claims Clerical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario11 June 2014
work is a combination of phones and computer work.
Customer service is a big part of everything we do. I have a firm understanding of the insurance industry which has helped me make decisions about my own personal property and auto insurance.
Love the people I work with and dealing with the public.
Pros
great social club that keeps workiers engaged at work and outside of work
Cons
you can have days where you have a plan for that day, and then chaos hits and that goes out the window
Is a very good company to work with.
Application Developer II (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB, Canada19 May 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is get the job done.
I have good relationship with my co-workers.
I leaned to work with different departments in the company.
Pros
Is a very good company to work with.
Cons
I can not find Cons.
Great Management Support and Room for Advancement
Telephone Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 March 2014
Flexible work hours here, so ability to pick what start time works best for you.
Each Adjuster handles his/her own file and follows them through to completion.
Face to face interaction as well as over the phone with Insureds.
Open concept of the office sometimes is a downside as there's not a lot of privacy with calls.
Satisfaction in handling a claim and putting Insured's back on thier feet and allieviating thier stress.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Co-workers are close and office can sometimes get really loud.