WAVES COFFEE HOUSE

WAVES COFFEE HOUSE Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and beneficial workplace to improve interacting with different people.
BARISTA (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCMarch 5, 2015
Pros: free drinks and lunches, friendly co-workers, management and customers, flexible hours
On a typical day at work, I would open the store with one other co-worker. We would both collaboratively prepare the food and drinks within the Food Safe guidelines. I would clean the store by wiping display windows, sweep the floor, place tables and chairs in an organized way and carry the patio furniture outside before the store is open. When it is not busy, I would find things to do such as cleaning the refrigerators, place orders on necessities for the store, interact with customers, practice my latte art and making sure the washrooms were clean. I learned that as a barista, I am responsible in putting forth my best attitude to the customers every morning because it is my responsibility to make sure that each customer is happy, and even one smile in the morning can make their day. From this, I had regular customers come in almost everyday, and to show that they appreciated my service, they would tip. Management was very cooperative and understanding, as they would be flexible with my hours, due to attending school at the time. My co-workers and I are like family because we all work collaboratively and help each other inside and outside of work. The hardest part of the job was certainly the rushes, however my co-worker and I managed through with the rushes in a calm demeanor by using teamwork that we have developed from communicating. If a customer complains, I would apologize sincerely and try to make them happy by offering them more than what they asked for, such as a free drink in a bigger size with a coupon so that they could come back. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing that the customers were happy with our service and even sometimes having them take pictures of my latte art because they're are impressed.
Relaxed, but fast paced
Cashier and Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2014
Even though one does not like coffee, like me, is more than welcome to be part of our Waves Team, who is fun and loving in all aspects.
Chill place to work, work quality dependant on management.
Barista (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, decent hours
Cons: poor management, no room for growth
Typical day:
7-8 hour shift with a half hour un-paid break.
on your feet the entire time
helping customers, making drinks, cleaning and completing items on a checklist for opening or closing duties.

What I learned:
How to do latte art!
That an assistant manager is an integral part of the staff (we didn't have one...)
constructive criticism and positive feedback are necessary for staff function

Management:
Not the best, it varies location to location.
My boss (who is the owner) is cheap and forgetful.
Constantly changes the schedule and forgets about time booked off.
Cuts hours without notice.
Refuses to hire an assistant manager because he would have to pay them above minimum wage.

Hardest part of the job:
Dealing with customers who know nothing about coffee
Long hours on your feet all the time

Best part of the job:
Getting to hang out with your coworkers (hopefully you have good ones)
Free coffee and the occasional treat!
Waves Coffee House
Barista (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 2, 2013
Typical day at work:
Cleaning of the whole store, helping customers with food and drink, restocking food

What I learned:
Time management, Team Collaboration

Management:
Reliable and consistent

My Co-workers:
Educated and Inquisitive

The hardest part of the job:
Graveyard hours

The most enjoyable part of the job:
When the whole store is finally neat and clean.
Great atmosphere and enjoyable work but disinterested owner and lack of management.
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 11, 2012
Pros: atmosphere, customers, found all expected duties enjoyable
Cons: lackadaisical employees, disinterested owner, low wages
A typical day at Waves involved getting the store and appliances ready for the day before opening, brewing coffee, usual barista duties including making drinks and latte art, cleaning dishes, cleaning the store, clearing tables, serving drinks, cashier duties, and sales reconciliation. I had never been a barista before this job and I learned about all the types of drinks, which ones I preferred, and what I could do to improve on them (to my tastes!) I developed a much more critical pallet for coffee and espresso-drinks. For the first month the management was great, she was very helpful in getting me going and improving my efficiency, while maintaining a very positive work atmosphere. She left to pursue other endeavours though, and things fell apart after that, as the owner did not hire a new manager and instead left all of the employees to sort out the managerial tasks themselves. This became chaotic and made for a lot of in-fighting and fighting over powers and responsibilities that I tried not to involve myself with, but the overall atmosphere suffered substantially. After the manager left, many co-workers became lazy and my relationships with them suffered also, but personality-wise, I got along with everyone. The hardest part of the job was dealing with coworkers who were no longer meeting their performance requirements as employees, especially the ones who had been there longer than I had. There were, however, many enjoyable parts of the job; the atmosphere and customers were great and I learned a lot about the coffee business.