Job Title: Civil Engineering Technologist
Employee Type: Permanent Full-Time
Reports to: Construction Survey Manager
Posting Date: May 10, 2016
Closing Date: Until a suitable candidate is found.
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Since 1983, Watt Consulting Group (WATT) has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Calgary, Lloydminster, Victoria and Kelowna. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. We take pride in long-standing relationships with our clients throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and a team who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work seriously and coupled with individual respect and a healthy dose of humour, we excel and grow as individuals and as a team with every project.
Purpose of Role
As a Geomatics/Civil Engineering Technologist within the Construction Survey Section of the Geomatics Division, you will be responsible for playing a key role in the day-to-day operations performed by field and office staff within the Section. You will report directly to the Construction Survey Manager. You will be responsible for producing a wide variety of highly technical work including drafting, design, adjustments and computations.
• University degree or technology diploma in a relevant discipline (e.g., civil engineering, engineering design and drafting, surveying engineering, geomatics engineering)
• 2-5 years of related experience, preferably with a significant portion gained in the field at the party chief level.
• Proficiency at producing plans/drawings using AutoCAD and/or Carlson is required. GIS and/or database experience is considered an asset.
• Comprehensive knowledge of surveying, drafting and engineering principles is required.
• Ability to interpret field notes, engineering drawings and plan sets.
• A solid understanding of the principles of coordinate systems and mapping projections.
• Solid team skills and excellent attitude.
• Sound written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Generate moderately difficult plans, detail drawings, grade sheets and point files and work independently performing non-routine assignments of varied complexity.
• Understand and comply with the requirements and standards of the City of Calgary and other Municipalities.
• Mentor and train more junior staff members within the Section.
• Maintain effective client communication throughout each project.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization, owned and led by employees, submit your resume to email@example.com.
Ownership opportunities will also be available to the successful candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Watt Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer. – less