WATERLOO REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

PRODUCTIVE
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 August 2015
The overall experience was great. It was an amazing job, well organized and the team was very enjoyable. Learned a lot from this experience
Substitute Teacher
OCCASIONAL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 July 2015
Lots of work to fill in for teachers who need to be away. Most schools are wonderful and administrators are flexible and flexible.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
No guarantee of work
A very rewarding carrer.
Head of Library (Former Employee) –  Kitchener10 June 2015
Treasured my time with the Board but was time to retire. Working with students is fulfilling. Staff was great to work with for the most part.
Great workplace
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener1 March 2015
Supportive environment
great benefits package and EAP program
Friendly people
Plenty of Professional Development Opportunities.
Most places have some social activities within the different unions.
Pros
Many opportunities...
Technology Teacher - Transportation/Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 November 2014
Most days were great.
I learned how people want/need to be treated regardless of abilities.
Classroom/Shop Management is imperative.
Management the best.
Co-workers were great.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with students that were abused.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students succeed.
Pros
all good
Cons
lack of budget to make the program work
Good work if you can get it!
CLASSROOM TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 April 2014
Classroom teaching is challenging if you want it to be. For those who wish to excell and make a difference there are opportunities to do so daily, which can be very rewarding. Some teachers strive to be their best... some do not. It is a unionized environment.

Due to declining enrollment, there are no opportunities coming in the next few years to be hired on a fulltime contract basis. The WRDSB has implemented hiring practices to try to curb nepotism, which has spiraled, into what many consider to be, a completely arbitrary if not entirely random system using an LTO list.
Pros
good pay, vacations and intrinsically rewarding
Cons
co-workers who do not appreciate what they have
co-operative,enthusiastic atmosphere that seeks to facilitate positive learning environment
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 July 2013
assist classrooms and students with routines, provide one on one instruction in a quiet setting.
provide access to computers and instruct on software programs
provide organization strategies

I have learned to be patient, to anticipate behaviors and lay positive groundwork to manage unwanted outcomes.

The hardest part of the job is when student will not engage.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when child gains confidence in his or herself and is able to value new skills learned.
Pros
good benefits, excellent training
Cons
no work in summer
inclusive place of work
Reception (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 June 2013
Challenging, ongoing interaction with the public and staff, opportunity to create own work environment, Almost everyday there is something new to learn or address. I come to work early so that I can have switchboard and reception ready at 8:00 which is my start time. I book rooms, answer phones, receive mail and packages and direct to appropriate person, respond to emails, admit people through locked entrance, other assigned duties. Best part of the day is the interaction I have with staff and the public who walks in the door.
Teacher
Family Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cambridge24 April 2013
I have three classes a day. The classes are 75 minutes each. I pack a lot of work into each one because of being on the semester system. The students can vary in levels of ability and learning. My teaching methods have to accommodate these levels. Family Studies covers a wide variety of subjects related to family living, food and nutrition, parenting, resource management and fashion. My work experience prior to going into teaching has helped me become the type of teacher I am today. I expect my students to do well with me and I provide them with many opportunities to do so.
Pros
seeing the students grow and achieve in my classes.
Cons
seeing students who do not work to their potential.
Great place to work because of the children
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 July 2012
Everyday was different, there were times when I was with one specific child and then there were times when I was in a classroom assisting the teacher with whatever she wanted. This could mean taking a small group or just milling around the room helping whenever I could. Principals I worked with were all terrific and my co-workers were the best, all caring wonderful teachers. Hardest part of the job was trying to prevent a child with special needs from erupting. Most enjoyable was being with the children
Pros
great hours, summers off.....
Cons
difficult children

4.5