I. Job Summary
This position involves the design development of vacuum truck components, assemblies, and systems for Wastequip Cusco products. The position requires analytical thinking with mechanical aptitude to create, evaluate and improve the design and manufacturing of vacuum trucks. As a part of the engineering staff, the Product Engineer/Technologist provides technical support to production personnel as well as other departments. From time to time, he/she will also be expected to communicate with vendors and/or customers.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in initial conceptual design reviews and brainstorming sessions
- Design parts, sub-assemblies, jigs and fixtures for fit-up of vacuum & secondary systems.
- Preforms calculations on parts and assemblies as needed to verify structural integrity
- Participates in prototype design reviews
- Provides technical direction in prototype design reviews
- Participates in the developing of standard processes
- Conduct and review Root Cause Analysis for failed parts, systems, or procedures
- Perform weight and balance for units on per truck basis based and submits to Engineering Manager for Approval
- Reviews truck specs for units and submits to Engineering Manager for approval
- Provides truck layout drawings using 3D software for various different models based on unit type, weight and balance
- Design parts, sub-assemblies, jigs and fixtures for required for the manufacturing of ASME/DOT/TC certified units to improve throughput with an emphasis on Lean Manufacturing principles.
- With the assistance of the Tank Design Engineer and Design Engineer, create and modify all required drawings for submission to Regulatory Agencies for approval in a timely fashion.
- Preforms calculations on parts and assemblies as needed to verify structural integrity for review and approval by Design Engineer.
- Assist in other assigned engineering duties as required.
- Create and update Bills of Material (BOM) for units to ensure accuracy of parts in a timely fashion to meet production scheduling deadlines.
- Ensures engineering drawings and documents are released through the appropriate approval process (e.g. ECN’s, drawing approvals, design reviews, or as indicated by Engineering Manager)
- Tracks and documents progress on projects and tasks as required by Engineering Manager
- Contributes content for the updating of operation manuals for truck units
- Maintains design development records and applicable specifications
- Maintains and ensures retention of design development records and applicable specifications in accordance with regulation
- Communicates with other departments including production, quality, sales and marketing, and service to provide technical support as required
- Provides guidance, technical support and standardized work instructions for production personnel as required by engineering manager
- Communicates with purchasing department to assist with technical support on outsourced parts
- Reviews vendors capabilities to ensure they meet Cusco technical requirements
- Provides project status reports to Engineering Management as needed
- Supports cross-functional skills development by engaging in coaching and/or learning activities with other engineering staff
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
BS in a relevant Engineering discipline or Mechanical Engineering Technologist Diploma from an accredited College or University with 5-7 years of experience in an industrial, manufacturing environment. 3-5 year prior experience in the design of complex mobile heavy equipment is highly desirable.
B. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- General engineering principles must be understood with emphasis on mechanical, structural disciplines.
- Strong communication skills to convey clear and concise instructions to others via verbal, written and electronic media
- Experienced with use of mechanical drawing and design software and concept tools including AutoCAD, and 3D Modeling (Inventor preferably)
- An understanding of mechanical drawing and design software and concept tools including AutoCAD, and 3D Modeling (Inventor preferably)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Plan and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to interpret and understand national codes and standards
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team member for the purpose of achieving company objectives
- Ability to apply concepts of engineering level math, algebra, and geometry to design work
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions provided in writing, orally, diagrammatically, or per schedule
- Ability to solve practical problems using sound technical principles
- Experience constructing Bills of Materials in an MRP/ERP environment.
- Hydraulic/Pneumatic Design experience highly desired
- Ability to read and understand wiring diagrams and schematics is highly desirable
- Prior experience working with cross-functional teams is highly desirable
- Experience validating structures using FEA analysis. Experience with vehicle structures is preferred.
- Has a good understanding of FEA validation techniques.
Indeed - 11 months ago