Waste Management Employee Reviews

One of the best jobs I ever had!
ScaleOperator/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Ontario9 July 2013
My work day started at 6:30 am and I was the first one in the office, besides the drivers whom had their own room. I weighed in trucks daily, I dealt with cash customers needing to dump their personal trash, all clerical duties, many different types of reports using computer skills I've acquired throughout the years and use of CB radio and surveillance cameras. The people I worked with were some of the best people I've ever met. Each driver who worked for the company and the outside people needing to empty their trash, were always so nice to me. There was no hard part of the job. Unfortunately it was only a temporary job and they were bought out by a different company, they didn't want to let me go and gave me a good bye party when I did have to leave.
Pros
Pro was getting along well with co workers
Cons
The only con I can think of is if there were no trucks coming into the scale
Older uncomfortable trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2013
I worked for this company in Vancouver BC, even though they wanted a driver I got hired as a swamper. Work is extremely busy in residential areas and very condensed tight routes.

I always wondered why they keep advertising the job.Every few weeks I saw their ad on my email updates, and I realize the reason now since they it is extremely hard to find drivers who would get in and out 1000 times a day

Your knees after along 10hours shift will feel very stiff, and you might end up doing knee surgery down the road
Trucks are too old and frequently needs repairs, I was horrified to find most of their trucks mirrors are in desperate need for repair.

Most of older drivers are on sick leave or recovering or even injured
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
older trucks, condensed routes, lack of training
Productive environment with great benefits
Truck driver/Swamper (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 November 2015
On a typical day, I would drive the truck around the city on main roads and alleyways. I pick up the recycling bins and take the recyclables and out them in the truck.
waste management
Garbage Helper (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 August 2015
honestly i enjoyed waste management even though i was a helper i felt like the job would of been even more enjoyable if i was an actually employee there.
Pros
lunch anywhere
Cons
working by myself cause i didnt have the license to drive the truck
Waste Management- Fast Paced environment
Recycle Sorter-Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 April 2012
Work at waste management was fun and very fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The team that I worked in was enjoyable and I developed a great relationship with my manager, since I was willing to do some work that other team members were reluctant to complete.

I enjoyed my time at Waste Management, but when the plant closed I had to relocate.
Pros
company was great, fast paced environment
Cons
location would get very hot in the summer.
A very busy, but fun place to work - always new challenges with stimulating team actions
MARKET AREA ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 June 2015
Waste Management is a fun place to work. There are always new and exciting challenges that provoke thinking and actions. Management is committed to making sure that everyone has the tools needed to be successful on the job.
Fun but hard place to work
Revenue Management Centre Liaison (Former Employee) –  Waterloo28 September 2015
WM always asked for the most you could give, and then a little bit more. It was hard. But the people I worked with were great so that balanced it all out. And the pay was pretty good. Really hard to move around the company though.
The Money is good but the hours are bad
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2015
I do not wish to identify with this company.

If you apply here I wish you good luck.

Day starts at 7:30 ends at 5
I learned paperwork is very important
Management's is fine
Co-workers are great
Hardest part is all the backup
Most enjoyable is going home and getting paid
Pros
Best Commissions in Waste (this year)
Cons
Too much paperwork
Best Place To Work
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, ON12 January 2014
I started with the company in 2005, as a front line Manager, and progressed over the 7 years I was employed, to District Manager. The company sold up and left town back in 2012, but my time, overall was one of the best - very stressful at times, but the support network was second to none, and the structure and systems were light years ahead of the competition. There were tough times, but I can honestly say I have nothing negative to say about this employer - fantastic family atmosphere & great safety culture. In my last 2 to 3 years at the District, I had the honour to work with a great team, and fantastic group of professional drivers & support employees & staff. I believe one of my lowest seniority employees had 10 years seniority - that speaks for itself. From the bottom to the top, your opinion counted, and regular employee surveys were carried out by external (confidential) bodies, and all findings acted upon. Where else can you find that? Also, they continually asked their customers (with surveys) what they thought about WM. If you get the call, it will be the best decision you can make ....
Pros
Enjoyed coming to work, treated with dignity & respect
Cons
Keeping up with new developments!
Fun workplace
painter/welder (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Nova Scotia6 July 2012
typical day of work started by cleaning out shop bay. then bringing bins in that needed welding and paint. i learned how to safely weld and do so at a productive pace. all my co-workers were very easy to get along with and made my job alot easier. the hardest part of my job was learning how to get in a routine at first to ensure my work was at 100% but also to be very productive as well. i enjoyed every aspect of with waste management
driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2015
Best job every, my biggest regret is that i quit trying to get back on now. great hours great pay, awesome work out. Its alot of work but it sperates the boys from the men!!
fast paced environment with good pay and benefits
maintenance manager/night shift foreman (Former Employee) –  Alberta6 October 2014
Typical day included daily maintenance planning, toolbox meeting and launching mechanics in their respective tasks. communicate with operations and their daily needs and integrate into nightly plan. Continued with parts ordering and receiving or previously ordered parts. Inspect and advise mechanics on their current and ongoing jobs. resume personal jobs while staying fluid to advise and help with ongoing jobs throughout the shop. finish night off with updating operations on availability of units.
Productive outdoor workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 May 2013
Jobs are by appointment travelling one place to another some days there is a lot of work other days are slow. I learned lots about demolition on office spaces and how to setup a crew for the teardown.
Pros
Payed lunch and get to meet a lot of new people
Cons
Long hours sometimes on weekends
Great Company
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 August 2015
Excellent training. Nice employee engagement. Overall fair company with clearly defined policies. Wastemanagement has nice staff and fair practices.
Very demanding but new American management do not care about the people that work for them.
Night Supervisor and Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2014
maintain recycling plant machinery and equipment. design and fabricate tools and equipment to help improve production.
Pros
something new everyday
Cons
management shows no appreciation for staff unless you kiss their buts and worship them.
Chill night shift, great co-workers
Material Sorter (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 May 2014
Great working environment with great co-workers. Long hours with repetitive activities.
Pros
Relaxed environment
The Best of the Waste
Contractor/Data Entry Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 December 2013
Waste Management was unfortunetly a contract based position, but such a great company to work for. Everyone is so nice and welcoming, and incredibly appreciative of the work I do. It is a shame it was only for a short period of time, I would have really enjoyed to stay as an employee.
fast paced fun group of co-workers
Residential Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2015
pre/post trip about an hour at yard. head to route start your maps and get done to help fellow employees asap.
Pros
lots of mentoring
Cons
long hours not much extra time
Working with two other women was fun and we got the job done too!
Dispatch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, Sk.10 April 2014
A typical day at work consisted of phone answering, job entering and scheduling and then dispatching to drivers. When the run sheets were finalized, they were printed and I collated and stapled them. The hardest part of the job was when we were slow, it was hard to keep busy. All the staff at the time were interesting and respectful-the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
staff lunches
Cons
toxic (mould) in the office environment
bad place to work
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 April 2015
Worst work I have ever been in. Management is the worst they rule through intimidation.Would not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Cons
bad management