Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Company
Driver/Recycler (Former Employee) –  coquitlamJuly 29, 2013
great company to wrk...highly emphasized on safety of employees... best management and great training
Pros
everthing
hard and good work
driver loader (Former Employee) –  missisaugaJuly 18, 2013
the job was good and i enjoyed the actual work
the management was very good but the upper management was very military and had no idea what the workers did
as a matter of fact the president was fired when he appeared on a tv show
Pros
good job good benefits
Cons
long hours and poor comunication
One of the best jobs I ever had!
ScaleOperator/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, OntarioJuly 9, 2013
My work day started at 6:30 am and I was the first one in the office, besides the drivers whom had their own room. I weighed in trucks daily, I dealt with cash customers needing to dump their personal trash, all clerical duties, many different types of reports using computer skills I've acquired throughout the years and use of CB radio and surveillance cameras. The people I worked with were some of the best people I've ever met. Each driver who worked for the company and the outside people needing to empty their trash, were always so nice to me. There was no hard part of the job. Unfortunately it was only a temporary job and they were bought out by a different company, they didn't want to let me go and gave me a good bye party when I did have to leave.
Pros
pro was getting along well with co workers
Cons
the only con i can think of is if there were no trucks coming into the scale
geat experiance working there
Store clerk, Student Coop program (Former Employee) –  kanata,ONJuly 4, 2013
it a good company there give you free lunch (the times a was there)if people throw away stuff you can keep whatever you like.
Excellent overall company
SR Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 24, 2013
I really enjoy the company and the people. I miss working outside and with others.
Pros
benifits
Cons
stress
Waste Management is a great place to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  CoquitlamJune 13, 2013
At Waste Management, your hours are somewhat flexable. Customer needs are always at the top of my priorty list. The hardest part of my job was not being able to meet my customers needs, due to services we could not provide. I made good friends at Waste Management. A great place to work and grow.
Productive outdoor workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 13, 2013
Jobs are by appointment travelling one place to another some days there is a lot of work other days are slow. I learned lots about demolition on office spaces and how to setup a crew for the teardown.
Pros
payed lunch and get to meet a lot of new people
Cons
long hours sometimes on weekends
Busy productive environment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 30, 2013
Standing for eight to ten hours doing repedative work. Masks optional, easy work no experience needed.
Pros
easy work
Cons
hard on the nose.
Terrible workplace with good salary/ benefits
Helper/Driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSApril 22, 2013
the only place I ever worked where work comes before life, a severe lack of understanding of life's mishaps and unforseen events on management's part.

Arrive at work between 6:15 & 6:45 am, leave shop by 7 am work until all garbage/compost in area is collected, help other drivers finish their runs. Return to shop.

I learned that nobody is safe/ secure in their position there.

management is highly unorganised

No complaints about co-workers.

hardest part of the job: feeling the effects of management pulling trucks out of an already shorthanded area.

most enjoyable part of the job: appreciation by the customer.
Pros
good salary, good benefits, good co-workers
Cons
lack of appreciation by management, mismanagement, long hours
Older uncomfortable trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2013
I worked for this company in Vancouver BC, even though they wanted a driver I got hired as a swamper. Work is extremely busy in residential areas and very condensed tight routes.

I always wondered why they keep advertising the job.Every few weeks I saw their ad on my email updates, and I realize the reason now since they it is extremely hard to find drivers who would get in and out 1000 times a day

Your knees after along 10hours shift will feel very stiff, and you might end up doing knee surgery down the road
Trucks are too old and frequently needs repairs, I was horrified to find most of their trucks mirrors are in desperate need for repair.

Most of older drivers are on sick leave or recovering or even injured
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
older trucks, condensed routes, lack of training
disappointing
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 4, 2013
At the end of my short career at Waste Management I found it hard to come to work everyday. The company had a odd way of operating and not making it easy on the employees. Decisions were made to "better" the team however that back fired for the lack of moral. Although I did move on from the call centre I still find that the management style was the same. Managers seemed to care about you as person and as an employee however their actions suggested different.I have made some lasting friendship from working at WM, find out I can work in a very fast paced environment, and that I can sell and be good at it. It is just not a fair company to work for.
Pros
the people are great, activities during the holidays were fun, customer service week was fun
Cons
low pay, poor decisions, backstabbing, no advancement, brainwashed managers
not a smooth running ship
Truck Driver/Blue Box Collector (Former Employee) –  vancouverDecember 31, 2012
I am glad I left there, was not happy, treat their employees with little respect
Full of chanllenges and changes
District Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ONOctober 19, 2012
The nice part of this career is the ever changing environment in which I work. No two days are ever the same. The challenges are to adapt to the changes that you face almost daily. We have an outstanding safety culture and everyone works toward a goal of zero incidents and injuries.
Pros
freedom to run the business
Cons
long hours can be encountered
Good Place to work
Scale House Attendant (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONSeptember 6, 2012
I liked meeting new people all the time, I wish i could of got hired on. I was working for a agency for this company
Excellent Team
Town Of Whitby, Garbage Collection (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONAugust 13, 2012
From the on the ground managment , to the co-workers of everyday, a great place to work if you can get the chance.
Pros
just a good place to work.
Cons
hard to get on full time.
Waste Management
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2012
Pre/post check of vehicle
Route planning
Pick-up/dump-out of recycle
Fueling of truck
Safe driving
co-workers were supportive
Enjoyed the physical work.
Fun workplace
painter/welder (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Nova ScotiaJuly 6, 2012
typical day of work started by cleaning out shop bay. then bringing bins in that needed welding and paint. i learned how to safely weld and do so at a productive pace. all my co-workers were very easy to get along with and made my job alot easier. the hardest part of my job was learning how to get in a routine at first to ensure my work was at 100% but also to be very productive as well. i enjoyed every aspect of with waste management
Enjoyed the job/challenge
Safety and Compliance manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJune 30, 2012
Good job. Excellent opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately tremendous corporate turmoil and office 'politics' near the end.
Pros
flexible hours. upper management support
Cons
office politics
Good people
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 28, 2012
Good people to work with. Company as a whole is going through challenges as several companies are. They have a great ambition to green the world.
Typical day was from 9-6:30 mon-friday.
Learned roles roles as an Administrator focusing on drivers and thier needs.
Most enjoable part of the job was the drivers.
Pros
occassional lunch
Cons
long hours-poor management
Waste Management- Fast Paced environment
Recycle Sorter-Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 23, 2012
Work at waste management was fun and very fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The team that I worked in was enjoyable and I developed a great relationship with my manager, since I was willing to do some work that other team members were reluctant to complete.

I enjoyed my time at Waste Management, but when the plant closed I had to relocate.
Pros
company was great, fast paced environment
Cons
location would get very hot in the summer.