Waste Management Employee Reviews

Management and team moral needs improving
Dispatcher II (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 August 2014
Although the perks of this employer is great (pay, benefits, RRSP's, etc.) the work environment itself, is very negative. Employees do not receive enough or any positive feedback from their management / supervisor team. Will receive the amount of work for 4 dispatchers as opposed to 1. Coverage of areas are constantly changing. In less then 1 month, 4 people quit and were not replaced. Always short staffed.
Asking for shift changes and being told when once becomes available you will receive it, after 2 years and few new people being hired with the shift you wanted, having to use vacation days for doctor appointments (shift was 9-6, was very difficult to make appointments when needed).
Cons
Working with two other women was fun and we got the job done too!
Dispatch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, Sk.10 April 2014
A typical day at work consisted of phone answering, job entering and scheduling and then dispatching to drivers. When the run sheets were finalized, they were printed and I collated and stapled them. The hardest part of the job was when we were slow, it was hard to keep busy. All the staff at the time were interesting and respectful-the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
staff lunches
Cons
toxic (mould) in the office environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  New Toronto, ON27 January 2014
It is a learning process, always on the lookout for your co-worker and yourself safety. A typical day is like not stop work, whether it be on the production line, cleaning and shovelling debris. The morning is the hardest time, because for some reason the time drags on. We all work as a team, always helping and watching each other back. Management is always on the go. The most enjoyable part of the job is where we can have a laugh and break the tension, it helps make the time past faster. Some days we all know when to start, but at the end of the day, it can end up any time after 5/6pm or more.
Cons
Productive environment with great benefits
Truck driver/Swamper (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 November 2015
On a typical day, I would drive the truck around the city on main roads and alleyways. I pick up the recycling bins and take the recyclables and out them in the truck.
Waste Management- Fast Paced environment
Recycle Sorter-Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 April 2012
Work at waste management was fun and very fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The team that I worked in was enjoyable and I developed a great relationship with my manager, since I was willing to do some work that other team members were reluctant to complete.

I enjoyed my time at Waste Management, but when the plant closed I had to relocate.
Pros
company was great, fast paced environment
Cons
location would get very hot in the summer.
Challenging Work Environment with Opportunities for Equipment Improvement
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2013
The design of mechanical equipment used in waste management operations offer our team with the possibility express new ideas for equipment enhancement.
We work as a team, we are expose to the resolution of technical issues, but in general everyone cooperates for the finding of appropriate solutions.
This is a 5-day job that allows us to relax on week-ends, and makes our work more enjoyable.
Pros
Free cofffee and tea
Cons
sometimes we have longer hours of work
Good Pay and work hours. good people to work with
Driver/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 December 2015
Good pay and benefits with Monday to Friday hours and lots of support from management. Friendly staff and lots of opportunity for advancement.
Fun but hard place to work
Revenue Management Centre Liaison (Former Employee) –  Waterloo28 September 2015
WM always asked for the most you could give, and then a little bit more. It was hard. But the people I worked with were great so that balanced it all out. And the pay was pretty good. Really hard to move around the company though.
Terrible workplace with good salary/ benefits
Helper/Driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 April 2013
the only place I ever worked where work comes before life, a severe lack of understanding of life's mishaps and unforseen events on management's part.

Arrive at work between 6:15 & 6:45 am, leave shop by 7 am work until all garbage/compost in area is collected, help other drivers finish their runs. Return to shop.

I learned that nobody is safe/ secure in their position there.

management is highly unorganised

No complaints about co-workers.

hardest part of the job: feeling the effects of management pulling trucks out of an already shorthanded area.

most enjoyable part of the job: appreciation by the customer.
Pros
good salary, good benefits, good co-workers
Cons
lack of appreciation by management, mismanagement, long hours
The Money is good but the hours are bad
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2015
I do not wish to identify with this company.

If you apply here I wish you good luck.

Day starts at 7:30 ends at 5
I learned paperwork is very important
Management's is fine
Co-workers are great
Hardest part is all the backup
Most enjoyable is going home and getting paid
Pros
Best Commissions in Waste (this year)
Cons
Too much paperwork
Fun workplace
painter/welder (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Nova Scotia6 July 2012
typical day of work started by cleaning out shop bay. then bringing bins in that needed welding and paint. i learned how to safely weld and do so at a productive pace. all my co-workers were very easy to get along with and made my job alot easier. the hardest part of my job was learning how to get in a routine at first to ensure my work was at 100% but also to be very productive as well. i enjoyed every aspect of with waste management
Older uncomfortable trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2013
I worked for this company in Vancouver BC, even though they wanted a driver I got hired as a swamper. Work is extremely busy in residential areas and very condensed tight routes.

I always wondered why they keep advertising the job.Every few weeks I saw their ad on my email updates, and I realize the reason now since they it is extremely hard to find drivers who would get in and out 1000 times a day

Your knees after along 10hours shift will feel very stiff, and you might end up doing knee surgery down the road
Trucks are too old and frequently needs repairs, I was horrified to find most of their trucks mirrors are in desperate need for repair.

Most of older drivers are on sick leave or recovering or even injured
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
older trucks, condensed routes, lack of training
was a fun work enviroment
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2014
start my shift a 7am. Made sure all drivers had their routes in order for their day. 8am started making my call out to drivers for same day service this had to be done before 10am. also at this time would take calls from drivers who had blocked bins and phone the customer to have whatever was blocking bin removed.then would start planning for next day route for drivers.
Pros
free lunches, gift cards
A very busy, but fun place to work - always new challenges with stimulating team actions
MARKET AREA ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 June 2015
Waste Management is a fun place to work. There are always new and exciting challenges that provoke thinking and actions. Management is committed to making sure that everyone has the tools needed to be successful on the job.
disappointing
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2013
At the end of my short career at Waste Management I found it hard to come to work everyday. The company had a odd way of operating and not making it easy on the employees. Decisions were made to "better" the team however that back fired for the lack of moral. Although I did move on from the call centre I still find that the management style was the same. Managers seemed to care about you as person and as an employee however their actions suggested different.I have made some lasting friendship from working at WM, find out I can work in a very fast paced environment, and that I can sell and be good at it. It is just not a fair company to work for.
Pros
the people are great, activities during the holidays were fun, customer service week was fun
Cons
low pay, poor decisions, backstabbing, no advancement, brainwashed managers
Great employees
Account Manager- Small and Medium Business (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2015
Fun to work with the employees. easy to relate to. Management unaware of what is happening on floor. Agents need more training and coaching on sales objectives and to meet sales quotas..
Pros
salary and benefits
Full of chanllenges and changes
District Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2012
The nice part of this career is the ever changing environment in which I work. No two days are ever the same. The challenges are to adapt to the changes that you face almost daily. We have an outstanding safety culture and everyone works toward a goal of zero incidents and injuries.
Pros
freedom to run the business
Cons
long hours can be encountered
able to make money... if you can get a shift
loader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 March 2015
lets start of by saying I haven't quit because I haven't found a new job. the job can get hard on the body. some of the people you work with are nice others.. not so much. defiantly not worth the pay. long hard days no matter what weather for basically minimum wage. I don't know about all agencies but the one im with is horrible. They take forever to reply back to you IF they do. constant mishaps over scheduling and payment. lied about pay increases and being hired on. TO ALL LOADERS WHATEVER AN AGENCY SAYS YOU WILL NOT MAKE OVER 13/HR AND WASTE MANAGEMENT WILL NOT I REPEAT WILL NOT HIRE YOU ON. During busy season its easy to make 600 in four days if you are willing to put in the hours. But as of now I am LUCKY to get 2 shift a week. it is march. This is from personal experience cut my agency out and it would be 10000000000x better of an experience
Pros
4 day weeks
Cons
pay is not worth the work
Good people
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2012
Good people to work with. Company as a whole is going through challenges as several companies are. They have a great ambition to green the world.
Typical day was from 9-6:30 mon-friday.
Learned roles roles as an Administrator focusing on drivers and thier needs.
Most enjoable part of the job was the drivers.
Pros
occassional lunch
Cons
long hours-poor management
Very demanding but new American management do not care about the people that work for them.
Night Supervisor and Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2014
maintain recycling plant machinery and equipment. design and fabricate tools and equipment to help improve production.
Pros
something new everyday
Cons
management shows no appreciation for staff unless you kiss their buts and worship them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Management. Our community is ready to answer.