Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyed the job/challenge
Safety and Compliance manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJune 30, 2012
Good job. Excellent opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately tremendous corporate turmoil and office 'politics' near the end.
Pros
flexible hours. upper management support
Cons
office politics
Great company and Benefit- Tough Industry
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Carp, ONMay 7, 2015
Account manager of 450 med to large clients.
Mostly retention and collection. Prepared proposal, presentation and negotiated contracts.
Pros
Lots of Training
Cons
Tough Industry
fast paced fun group of co-workers
Residential Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 24, 2015
pre/post trip about an hour at yard. head to route start your maps and get done to help fellow employees asap.
Pros
lots of mentoring
Cons
long hours not much extra time
Challenging Work Environment with Opportunities for Equipment Improvement
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2013
The design of mechanical equipment used in waste management operations offer our team with the possibility express new ideas for equipment enhancement.
We work as a team, we are expose to the resolution of technical issues, but in general everyone cooperates for the finding of appropriate solutions.
This is a 5-day job that allows us to relax on week-ends, and makes our work more enjoyable.
Pros
free cofffee and tea
Cons
sometimes we have longer hours of work
fast paced environment with good pay and benefits
maintenance manager/night shift foreman (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 6, 2014
Typical day included daily maintenance planning, toolbox meeting and launching mechanics in their respective tasks. communicate with operations and their daily needs and integrate into nightly plan. Continued with parts ordering and receiving or previously ordered parts. Inspect and advise mechanics on their current and ongoing jobs. resume personal jobs while staying fluid to advise and help with ongoing jobs throughout the shop. finish night off with updating operations on availability of units.
Very demanding but new American management do not care about the people that work for them.
Night Supervisor and Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2014
maintain recycling plant machinery and equipment. design and fabricate tools and equipment to help improve production.
Pros
something new everyday
Cons
management shows no appreciation for staff unless you kiss their buts and worship them.
Pathetic
Route Manager, Brampton (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 2, 2015
Destroys your life and mood. Leadership there is pathetic and has the mindset of accepting failure and generally being a bunch of jerks. I recommend this to someone if they would like to destroy their life.
Pros
free gasoline
Cons
everything except the free gasoline
One of the best jobs I ever had!
ScaleOperator/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, OntarioJuly 9, 2013
My work day started at 6:30 am and I was the first one in the office, besides the drivers whom had their own room. I weighed in trucks daily, I dealt with cash customers needing to dump their personal trash, all clerical duties, many different types of reports using computer skills I've acquired throughout the years and use of CB radio and surveillance cameras. The people I worked with were some of the best people I've ever met. Each driver who worked for the company and the outside people needing to empty their trash, were always so nice to me. There was no hard part of the job. Unfortunately it was only a temporary job and they were bought out by a different company, they didn't want to let me go and gave me a good bye party when I did have to leave.
Pros
pro was getting along well with co workers
Cons
the only con i can think of is if there were no trucks coming into the scale
Older uncomfortable trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2013
I worked for this company in Vancouver BC, even though they wanted a driver I got hired as a swamper. Work is extremely busy in residential areas and very condensed tight routes.

I always wondered why they keep advertising the job.Every few weeks I saw their ad on my email updates, and I realize the reason now since they it is extremely hard to find drivers who would get in and out 1000 times a day

Your knees after along 10hours shift will feel very stiff, and you might end up doing knee surgery down the road
Trucks are too old and frequently needs repairs, I was horrified to find most of their trucks mirrors are in desperate need for repair.

Most of older drivers are on sick leave or recovering or even injured
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
older trucks, condensed routes, lack of training
Great place to work people and other departments were very friendly
Client Care Representative / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  BramptonFebruary 16, 2015
Utilize InfoPro to schedule pick's for Commercial Customers and called Potential clients for quotes and question surrounding obtaining new business.
Pros
close to home
Cons
worked on a waste landfill smelled very bad in the summer
Hard work and long hours
DZ - Urban Waste Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2015
What can you say ....
You drive a truck and throw garbage into it.
The work is hard physically and you are out in all kinds of weather.
But ....
You are out on your own, in your own truck.
The boss is not on your case unless you are slow.
You are out getting exercise and fresh air.
The pay is decent.
I enjoyed working for this company.
Waste Management- Fast Paced environment
Recycle Sorter-Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 23, 2012
Work at waste management was fun and very fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The team that I worked in was enjoyable and I developed a great relationship with my manager, since I was willing to do some work that other team members were reluctant to complete.

I enjoyed my time at Waste Management, but when the plant closed I had to relocate.
Pros
company was great, fast paced environment
Cons
location would get very hot in the summer.
Best Place To Work
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, ONJanuary 12, 2014
I started with the company in 2005, as a front line Manager, and progressed over the 7 years I was employed, to District Manager. The company sold up and left town back in 2012, but my time, overall was one of the best - very stressful at times, but the support network was second to none, and the structure and systems were light years ahead of the competition. There were tough times, but I can honestly say I have nothing negative to say about this employer - fantastic family atmosphere & great safety culture. In my last 2 to 3 years at the District, I had the honour to work with a great team, and fantastic group of professional drivers & support employees & staff. I believe one of my lowest seniority employees had 10 years seniority - that speaks for itself. From the bottom to the top, your opinion counted, and regular employee surveys were carried out by external (confidential) bodies, and all findings acted upon. Where else can you find that? Also, they continually asked their customers (with surveys) what they thought about WM. If you get the call, it will be the best decision you can make ....
Pros
enjoyed coming to work, treated with dignity & respect
Cons
keeping up with new developments!
Fun workplace
painter/welder (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Nova ScotiaJuly 6, 2012
typical day of work started by cleaning out shop bay. then bringing bins in that needed welding and paint. i learned how to safely weld and do so at a productive pace. all my co-workers were very easy to get along with and made my job alot easier. the hardest part of my job was learning how to get in a routine at first to ensure my work was at 100% but also to be very productive as well. i enjoyed every aspect of with waste management
good company to work for and good benifit.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  bramptonFebruary 25, 2015
good company to work for but the customers are very difficult to deal with but u just have to know that some people cant be change.
Cons
depends
Productive outdoor workplace
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 13, 2013
Jobs are by appointment travelling one place to another some days there is a lot of work other days are slow. I learned lots about demolition on office spaces and how to setup a crew for the teardown.
Pros
payed lunch and get to meet a lot of new people
Cons
long hours sometimes on weekends
Chill night shift, great co-workers
Material Sorter (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 25, 2014
Great working environment with great co-workers. Long hours with repetitive activities.
Pros
relaxed environment
public service
Baler/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  trenton, ontarioNovember 5, 2014
It was not a terrible job to have, however management would ignore employee needs in such a manner as to barrage arrogance to their fellow employee.
The Best of the Waste
Contractor/Data Entry Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 12, 2013
Waste Management was unfortunetly a contract based position, but such a great company to work for. Everyone is so nice and welcoming, and incredibly appreciative of the work I do. It is a shame it was only for a short period of time, I would have really enjoyed to stay as an employee.
Working with two other women was fun and we got the job done too!
Dispatch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, Sk.April 10, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of phone answering, job entering and scheduling and then dispatching to drivers. When the run sheets were finalized, they were printed and I collated and stapled them. The hardest part of the job was when we were slow, it was hard to keep busy. All the staff at the time were interesting and respectful-the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
staff lunches
Cons
toxic (mould) in the office environment