Waste Management

Waste Management Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
disappointing
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: the people are great, activities during the holidays were fun, customer service week was fun
Cons: low pay, poor decisions, backstabbing, no advancement, brainwashed managers
At the end of my short career at Waste Management I found it hard to come to work everyday. The company had a odd way of operating and not making it easy on the employees. Decisions were made to "better" the team however that back fired for the lack of moral. Although I did move on from the call centre I still find that the management style was the same. Managers seemed to care about you as person and as an employee however their actions suggested different.I have made some lasting friendship from working at WM, find out I can work in a very fast paced environment, and that I can sell and be good at it. It is just not a fair company to work for.
not a smooth running ship
Truck Driver/Blue Box Collector (Former Employee), vancouverDecember 31, 2012
I am glad I left there, was not happy, treat their employees with little respect
Full of chanllenges and changes
District Operations Manager (Current Employee), Brockville, ONOctober 19, 2012
Pros: freedom to run the business
Cons: long hours can be encountered
The nice part of this career is the ever changing environment in which I work. No two days are ever the same. The challenges are to adapt to the changes that you face almost daily. We have an outstanding safety culture and everyone works toward a goal of zero incidents and injuries.
Good Place to work
Scale House Attendant (Former Employee), Brockville, ONSeptember 6, 2012
I liked meeting new people all the time, I wish i could of got hired on. I was working for a agency for this company
Excellent Team
Town Of Whitby, Garbage Collection (Former Employee), Whitby, ONAugust 13, 2012
Pros: just a good place to work.
Cons: hard to get on full time.
From the on the ground managment , to the co-workers of everyday, a great place to work if you can get the chance.
Waste Management
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2012
Pre/post check of vehicle
Route planning
Pick-up/dump-out of recycle
Fueling of truck
Safe driving
co-workers were supportive
Enjoyed the physical work.
Fun workplace
painter/welder (Former Employee), Dartmouth Nova ScotiaJuly 6, 2012
typical day of work started by cleaning out shop bay. then bringing bins in that needed welding and paint. i learned how to safely weld and do so at a productive pace. all my co-workers were very easy to get along with and made my job alot easier. the hardest part of my job was learning how to get in a routine at first to ensure my work was at 100% but also to be very productive as well. i enjoyed every aspect of with waste management
Enjoyed the job/challenge
Safety and Compliance manager (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCJune 30, 2012
Pros: flexible hours. upper management support
Cons: office politics
Good job. Excellent opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately tremendous corporate turmoil and office 'politics' near the end.
Good people
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2012
Pros: occassional lunch
Cons: long hours-poor management
Good people to work with. Company as a whole is going through challenges as several companies are. They have a great ambition to green the world.
Typical day was from 9-6:30 mon-friday.
Learned roles roles as an Administrator focusing on drivers and thier needs.
Most enjoable part of the job was the drivers.
Waste Management- Fast Paced environment
Recycle Sorter-Labourer (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONApril 23, 2012
Pros: company was great, fast paced environment
Cons: location would get very hot in the summer.
Work at waste management was fun and very fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The team that I worked in was enjoyable and I developed a great relationship with my manager, since I was willing to do some work that other team members were reluctant to complete.

I enjoyed my time at Waste Management, but when the plant closed I had to relocate.
truck driver
truck driver (Former Employee), st.catharinesDecember 6, 2011
Pros: great pay
Cons: long days
excellent place to work along with great benefits. Good salary.
It is a union company .
Dangerous job
Driver (Former Employee), Ambridge, PaJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: pay, discount trash pick up. health benefits.
Cons: dangerous. dodging cars.
Management tends to never understand the true difficulty of the job. Trash removal jobs are listed in the top ten dangerous jobs in the world.
Stressful environment with high turnover rate of IT Management
Wintel Support Analyst III (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2015
During the four years I was employed by Waste Management I reported to 4 different Directors or Senior Managers each with a different management style. Everything was in constant flux.
A typical day varied greatly from year to year. The 1st year I went from one meeting to the next throughout the day. When management changed, I was a commuter on an out of state proof of concept project at a Hauling Yard installing and troubleshooting route managing computers in the local fleet of garbage trucks. After that a typical day was spent resolving Remedy help desk tickets, creatinge and managing Change Orders and updating the CMDB. This was interspersed with installations in the local and remote data centers and migration projects with these data centers. My co-workers were competent and cordial but quite jaded with all the changes in management. Many of my team had reported to 16 different managers in the last 8 years.
The job was challenging, probably more than need be, due to the constant changes. This was exhausting.
The work itself was often lower than my skill level but the compensation was so generous that we all just put up with whatever was asked of us.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Ewing, NJJanuary 27, 2015
Assist in overseeing daily call center operations, quality monitoring, disciplinary actions, coaching, escalated issues and resolutions. Assist in overseeing approximately 30 on site employees, 5 digital care representatives, and worked closely with our third party vendor WEST representatives for coaching, quality and escalated issues. Worked as department liaison for billing, operations, sales, public sector and data entry. Also, department business analyst for Siebel platform (customer service management platform) and Green Pages (customer service knowledge base. Worked closely with corporate team analysts to help test, modify, update and develop new customer service platform.
very busy
Recycle Collector (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: great benefits, with ot the pay is good.
Cons: time away from home, meaning the hours are long. the repetition of the work breaks the body down.
I have learned that being a recycle or garbage collector is a very demanding job. Waste Management does there best to keep you driving safely with the demands of the job being time away from home or getting every can picked up daily. The management team is always listening for how to improve the environment.
Waste Management - a 23 year career....
Sr. Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: high caliber of employees and great management team
In 1991, I started with Sanifill - a new company that had recently gone public. We had a lot going on at this new company, and you never knew what was going to happen when you headed to the office each day! In a few years, we merged with USA Waste, and then another change - in the late 90's - USA Waste took over Waste Management to become the 'new' WM. Our team went through a lot of changes, and through it all, it was always a great company to work for. I gained valuable knowledge about all operational aspects of the company, and enjoyed being the "go to person" for the newer employees who had questions about the history of our team and the company. I enjoyed working with our Senior Leadership Team, and feel that I have a lot to bring to the table at any workplace. I also have made life-long friends while working with Waste Management - and I believe that says a lot about the culture of any company.
productive
Mechanic (Former Employee), Fowler, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Cons: bad company
this company will work you to death will not pay out and take care of their hurt employees and cut corners that put their employees safety in jeopardy leaving their staff to sue to take care of all medical expenses..
A good place to work
CSR (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits, nice people to work with
Cons: short breaks, points
A typical day would be clock in, visit with manager for a few minutes, fix a cup of tea, then get to work. We had plenty of work to keep us busy, and before you knew it, it was break time. Nice people to visit with on break, TV in break room, 3 microwaves, vending machines, free fountain soda, coffee, tea. After break, back to work until lunch time. We could get up and walk around in between, if needed. Then lunch. Really no where to go around there, so bring your own, or there were a few places that would deliver. After lunch, clock back in and back to it. Varied job responsibilities made for an enjoyable afternoon, and then break time. Back to work, and time to go home!!!!!! The bad thing about the job is all that is left are drivers, ops clerks and transfer station due to downsizing. There are plenty of office jobs in Chicago or Phoenix if willing to relocate.
Environment safety
Material Organizer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: opportunity for advancement
Cons: the job security was taken away when the company reduced the locations
Work and stay focused on the task not the smells one is surrounded by
I learned how to use different senses when necessary. Since one is working with hazardous material you must watch all items carefully before touching them. Always have on the safety gear.
The management was great and had meetings daily.
Majority of the employees worked very hard and offered others advice.
The most difficult part of the job was knowing how the work area was filled with waste.
When one know they have a job the most important thing is to be happy..
lack of job security
laborer/Residential Driver (Former Employee), woburn maJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: strict
went out on short term disability, when healthy and recovered was let go due to my position was filled and I didn't have a job to go back to

About Waste Management

Waste Management is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management and environmental services in North America. We are – Read more

Waste Management Photos