Waste Management Employee Reviews

Good Pay and work hours. good people to work with
Driver/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 December 2015
Good pay and benefits with Monday to Friday hours and lots of support from management. Friendly staff and lots of opportunity for advancement.
Very dynamic industry
Major Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 August 2015
The thing I love about working at Waste Management is the people. I feel supported and appreciated by my manager and my team. I love working with customers and problem solving to find the right solution for their needs. I love to learn about the industry and how the changing dynamics of our business impacts our clients. Change is a constant at Waste Management and although I thrive on this change, I too am looking for a career change, in order to apply my skills and learn new things, after working 20 years successfully with this company.
Pros
People
Cons
Good job with draw backs
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON18 April 2016
The work was good. Physically demanding. The people were good, management was good. Lots of overtime. So much that I was basically gone 4 days a week.
Pros
Fresh air, Overtime
Cons
Too many variables (I.E Traffic)
all day everyday work shift during stampede
Night Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
great team atmosphere fun to do,
pick up trash on the grounds cleaned around rides and spilt food also we switched out trash cans around the grounds insuring all grounds were clean.
Pros
money
Cons
night shift
I cant begin to describe the disgusting practices of this company
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  toronto14 July 2016
I have never worked for, nor heard of such a repulsive company. Between the abuse of their workers and their insane contract policies, I am shocked they are still in business. NOBODY should support a corrupt outfit like this.
Pros
Hopefully they go bankrupt soon
Cons
They have not gone bankrupt yet
waste operator
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2016
Work was hot and heavy in the summer months and cold and boring in the winter. things have changed so much since i worked there that i really should not be reviewing this branch of the city
Great starting point
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 August 2016
Learned the basics here, have nothing bad to say. I was afforded the opportunity to learn a little about every facet of operations from the plant to on the road.
great place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 May 2016
wm is a great place to work, mechanics all get along with managemet. drivers always making mistakes and trying to blame mechanics.
Pros
salary
Cons
drivers
smelled nasty
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 April 2016
made people feel sick work long hours there
needles and other ojects and animals being sort in the garbage. wasnt something anyone would be happy doing
Pros
needed a job
Cons
not this one
great place to work
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 August 2016
It was a 4 days a week contract.This job is not as easy as it looks.Co-workers are great to work with.Overtime if you choose to do some.
Pros
good overtime
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 March 2016
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Pros
Very Understanding
Cons
Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
No life work balance
INSIDE COMMERCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 July 2016
Treated more like a number than a valued employee.

Toxic work environment and poorly managed.

No real opportunities to advance.
Great pay, dirty work
Recycle/Garbage truck operator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 May 2015
Responsible for the daily collection of refuse (garbage or recycle) within a set area. typically 3 loads per day with a drive to and from the dump site. co workers were awesome, as were some of the management. The hardest part of the job is working during the cold and wet seasons, with increased holiday refuse. The best thing about the job is the pay rate and the tips during the christmas season
Pros
excellent benefits/wages
Cons
Long hours, huge workload
Management and team moral needs improving
Dispatcher II (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 August 2014
Although the perks of this employer is great (pay, benefits, RRSP's, etc.) the work environment itself, is very negative. Employees do not receive enough or any positive feedback from their management / supervisor team. Will receive the amount of work for 4 dispatchers as opposed to 1. Coverage of areas are constantly changing. In less then 1 month, 4 people quit and were not replaced. Always short staffed.
Asking for shift changes and being told when once becomes available you will receive it, after 2 years and few new people being hired with the shift you wanted, having to use vacation days for doctor appointments (shift was 9-6, was very difficult to make appointments when needed).
Cons
Terrible workplace with good salary/ benefits
Helper/Driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 April 2013
the only place I ever worked where work comes before life, a severe lack of understanding of life's mishaps and unforseen events on management's part.

Arrive at work between 6:15 & 6:45 am, leave shop by 7 am work until all garbage/compost in area is collected, help other drivers finish their runs. Return to shop.

I learned that nobody is safe/ secure in their position there.

management is highly unorganised

No complaints about co-workers.

hardest part of the job: feeling the effects of management pulling trucks out of an already shorthanded area.

most enjoyable part of the job: appreciation by the customer.
Pros
good salary, good benefits, good co-workers
Cons
lack of appreciation by management, mismanagement, long hours
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 February 2016
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons
Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
Overall Decent Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC18 February 2016
Safety Practices were good. Pay was good.

Company will overwork you in some ways.

Management is questionable.

Overtime was readily available.
Great employees
Account Manager- Small and Medium Business (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2015
Fun to work with the employees. easy to relate to. Management unaware of what is happening on floor. Agents need more training and coaching on sales objectives and to meet sales quotas..
Pros
salary and benefits
disappointing
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2013
At the end of my short career at Waste Management I found it hard to come to work everyday. The company had a odd way of operating and not making it easy on the employees. Decisions were made to "better" the team however that back fired for the lack of moral. Although I did move on from the call centre I still find that the management style was the same. Managers seemed to care about you as person and as an employee however their actions suggested different.I have made some lasting friendship from working at WM, find out I can work in a very fast paced environment, and that I can sell and be good at it. It is just not a fair company to work for.
Pros
the people are great, activities during the holidays were fun, customer service week was fun
Cons
low pay, poor decisions, backstabbing, no advancement, brainwashed managers
hard and good work
driver loader (Former Employee) –  missisauga18 July 2013
the job was good and i enjoyed the actual work
the management was very good but the upper management was very military and had no idea what the workers did
as a matter of fact the president was fired when he appeared on a tv show
Pros
good job good benefits
Cons
long hours and poor comunication