Waste Management

Waste Management Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Best Place To Work
Route Manager (Former Employee), Maidstone, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: enjoyed coming to work, treated with dignity & respect
Cons: keeping up with new developments!
I started with the company in 2005, as a front line Manager, and progressed over the 7 years I was employed, to District Manager. The company sold up and left town back in 2012, but my time, overall was one of the best - very stressful at times, but the support network was second to none, and the structure and systems were light years ahead of the competition. There were tough times, but I can honestly say I have nothing negative to say about this employer - fantastic family atmosphere & great safety culture. In my last 2 to 3 years at the District, I had the honour to work with a great team, and fantastic group of professional drivers & support employees & staff. I believe one of my lowest seniority employees had 10 years seniority - that speaks for itself. From the bottom to the top, your opinion counted, and regular employee surveys were carried out by external (confidential) bodies, and all findings acted upon. Where else can you find that? Also, they continually asked their customers (with surveys) what they thought about WM. If you get the call, it will be the best decision you can make ....
able to make money... if you can get a shift
loader (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 24, 2015
Pros: 4 day weeks
Cons: pay is not worth the work
lets start of by saying I haven't quit because I haven't found a new job. the job can get hard on the body. some of the people you work with are nice others.. not so much. defiantly not worth the pay. long hard days no matter what weather for basically minimum wage. I don't know about all agencies but the one im with is horrible. They take forever to reply back to you IF they do. constant mishaps over scheduling and payment. lied about pay increases and being hired on. TO ALL LOADERS WHATEVER AN AGENCY SAYS YOU WILL NOT MAKE OVER 13/HR AND WASTE MANAGEMENT WILL NOT I REPEAT WILL NOT HIRE YOU ON. During busy season its easy to make 600 in four days if you are willing to put in the hours. But as of now I am LUCKY to get 2 shift a week. it is march. This is from personal experience cut my agency out and it would be 10000000000x better of an experience
One of the best jobs I ever had!
ScaleOperator/Clerical (Former Employee), Maidstone, OntarioJuly 9, 2013
Pros: pro was getting along well with co workers
Cons: the only con i can think of is if there were no trucks coming into the scale
My work day started at 6:30 am and I was the first one in the office, besides the drivers whom had their own room. I weighed in trucks daily, I dealt with cash customers needing to dump their personal trash, all clerical duties, many different types of reports using computer skills I've acquired throughout the years and use of CB radio and surveillance cameras. The people I worked with were some of the best people I've ever met. Each driver who worked for the company and the outside people needing to empty their trash, were always so nice to me. There was no hard part of the job. Unfortunately it was only a temporary job and they were bought out by a different company, they didn't want to let me go and gave me a good bye party when I did have to leave.
Older uncomfortable trucks
Driver (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: pay is ok
Cons: older trucks, condensed routes, lack of training
I worked for this company in Vancouver BC, even though they wanted a driver I got hired as a swamper. Work is extremely busy in residential areas and very condensed tight routes.

I always wondered why they keep advertising the job.Every few weeks I saw their ad on my email updates, and I realize the reason now since they it is extremely hard to find drivers who would get in and out 1000 times a day

Your knees after along 10hours shift will feel very stiff, and you might end up doing knee surgery down the road
Trucks are too old and frequently needs repairs, I was horrified to find most of their trucks mirrors are in desperate need for repair.

Most of older drivers are on sick leave or recovering or even injured
disappointing
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: the people are great, activities during the holidays were fun, customer service week was fun
Cons: low pay, poor decisions, backstabbing, no advancement, brainwashed managers
At the end of my short career at Waste Management I found it hard to come to work everyday. The company had a odd way of operating and not making it easy on the employees. Decisions were made to "better" the team however that back fired for the lack of moral. Although I did move on from the call centre I still find that the management style was the same. Managers seemed to care about you as person and as an employee however their actions suggested different.I have made some lasting friendship from working at WM, find out I can work in a very fast paced environment, and that I can sell and be good at it. It is just not a fair company to work for.
Management and team moral needs improving
Dispatcher II (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 7, 2014
Cons: long hours
Although the perks of this employer is great (pay, benefits, RRSP's, etc.) the work environment itself, is very negative. Employees do not receive enough or any positive feedback from their management / supervisor team. Will receive the amount of work for 4 dispatchers as opposed to 1. Coverage of areas are constantly changing. In less then 1 month, 4 people quit and were not replaced. Always short staffed.
Asking for shift changes and being told when once becomes available you will receive it, after 2 years and few new people being hired with the shift you wanted, having to use vacation days for doctor appointments (shift was 9-6, was very difficult to make appointments when needed).
Terrible workplace with good salary/ benefits
Helper/Driver (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSApril 22, 2013
Pros: good salary, good benefits, good co-workers
Cons: lack of appreciation by management, mismanagement, long hours
the only place I ever worked where work comes before life, a severe lack of understanding of life's mishaps and unforseen events on management's part.

Arrive at work between 6:15 & 6:45 am, leave shop by 7 am work until all garbage/compost in area is collected, help other drivers finish their runs. Return to shop.

I learned that nobody is safe/ secure in their position there.

management is highly unorganised

No complaints about co-workers.

hardest part of the job: feeling the effects of management pulling trucks out of an already shorthanded area.

most enjoyable part of the job: appreciation by the customer.
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: Work hours
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Production Worker (Former Employee), New Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Cons: long hours
It is a learning process, always on the lookout for your co-worker and yourself safety. A typical day is like not stop work, whether it be on the production line, cleaning and shovelling debris. The morning is the hardest time, because for some reason the time drags on. We all work as a team, always helping and watching each other back. Management is always on the go. The most enjoyable part of the job is where we can have a laugh and break the tension, it helps make the time past faster. Some days we all know when to start, but at the end of the day, it can end up any time after 5/6pm or more.
Not a very great place to work at
Waste Sorter (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: long hours, a boss that didn't care about her employees
Working at Quality 1 Training in Edmonton Alberta was I would have to say the worst experience ever. The main boss does not care if anyone gets hurt, if you got hurt it was to bad you still had to work....Blood could have been coming out of your head she would still make you work (I'm not even kidding)....I will never go back there again and if anyone ever asks me about the place I will be honest and tell them the truth about the place....
Very dynamic industry
Major Account Manager (Current Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 3, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Long hours
The thing I love about working at Waste Management is the people. I feel supported and appreciated by my manager and my team. I love working with customers and problem solving to find the right solution for their needs. I love to learn about the industry and how the changing dynamics of our business impacts our clients. Change is a constant at Waste Management and although I thrive on this change, I too am looking for a career change, in order to apply my skills and learn new things, after working 20 years successfully with this company.
Fun workplace
painter/welder (Former Employee), Dartmouth Nova ScotiaJuly 6, 2012
typical day of work started by cleaning out shop bay. then bringing bins in that needed welding and paint. i learned how to safely weld and do so at a productive pace. all my co-workers were very easy to get along with and made my job alot easier. the hardest part of my job was learning how to get in a routine at first to ensure my work was at 100% but also to be very productive as well. i enjoyed every aspect of with waste management
Learning new things about waste
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Free Pizia every other week
Cons: Aternoon shift till 6 pm
Started when the flood of 2013 was just happening, they brought me in for maternity coverage, with a chance of a permanent position.

After the crisis they decided to move all the route data entry to Edmonton office.

my co-workers were fun and willing to train me on which ever system that was needed to be used.
Good job to gain experience
Route Manager (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 6, 2014
Pros: 4 day work week
Cons: working anywhere between 50-60 hours in 4 days
A typical day at work... there really isn't a typical day. Your work hours range anywhere between 12-16 hours a day. Granted, it's only a 4 day work week, but there a lots of long and stressful days. This I think was the hardest part of the job, being able to find work/life balance; it just doesn't happen. The best part about the job are the people I work with. Everyone there is very supportive and are willing to lend a helping hand.
Great pay, dirty work
Recycle/Garbage truck operator (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 12, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits/wages
Cons: Long hours, huge workload
Responsible for the daily collection of refuse (garbage or recycle) within a set area. typically 3 loads per day with a drive to and from the dump site. co workers were awesome, as were some of the management. The hardest part of the job is working during the cold and wet seasons, with increased holiday refuse. The best thing about the job is the pay rate and the tips during the christmas season
Challenging Work Environment with Opportunities for Equipment Improvement
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2013
Pros: free cofffee and tea
Cons: sometimes we have longer hours of work
The design of mechanical equipment used in waste management operations offer our team with the possibility express new ideas for equipment enhancement.
We work as a team, we are expose to the resolution of technical issues, but in general everyone cooperates for the finding of appropriate solutions.
This is a 5-day job that allows us to relax on week-ends, and makes our work more enjoyable.
Very Shady
Driver (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2015
A very selfish company and the only reason why Waste Management has safety policies is to protect the company and not the employees. The only time they enforce their safety rules is when upper management is around. When an accident occurs, they use there safety policies, that they never enforce, to blame the employee and discipline them. It's all about the company and their insurance costs. Employees are expected to do whatever it takes to get the job done as fast as possible but if anything happens, blame is 100% on the employee.
fast paced environment with good pay and benefits
maintenance manager/night shift foreman (Former Employee), AlbertaOctober 6, 2014
Typical day included daily maintenance planning, toolbox meeting and launching mechanics in their respective tasks. communicate with operations and their daily needs and integrate into nightly plan. Continued with parts ordering and receiving or previously ordered parts. Inspect and advise mechanics on their current and ongoing jobs. resume personal jobs while staying fluid to advise and help with ongoing jobs throughout the shop. finish night off with updating operations on availability of units.
Working with two other women was fun and we got the job done too!
Dispatch Assistant (Former Employee), Regina, Sk.April 10, 2014
Pros: staff lunches
Cons: toxic (mould) in the office environment
A typical day at work consisted of phone answering, job entering and scheduling and then dispatching to drivers. When the run sheets were finalized, they were printed and I collated and stapled them. The hardest part of the job was when we were slow, it was hard to keep busy. All the staff at the time were interesting and respectful-the most enjoyable part of the job.
was a fun work enviroment
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches, gift cards
start my shift a 7am. Made sure all drivers had their routes in order for their day. 8am started making my call out to drivers for same day service this had to be done before 10am. also at this time would take calls from drivers who had blocked bins and phone the customer to have whatever was blocking bin removed.then would start planning for next day route for drivers.
Headquarters