Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2016
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive wages
Don't bother
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Worked with WM for a 3 month period. Management treated the staff with no respect, yelling and making them feel that they are in grade 2. They couldn't even go to the bathroom without asking. Customer complaints all the time, billing and 3rd party customers are always complaining about services.
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons
Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Pros
I got a pen once
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Pros
Very Understanding
Cons
Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 24, 2015
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Pros
Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons
Long hours, little to no support from area management.
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Pros
Work hours
Good job with draw backs
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Peel, ONApril 18, 2016
The work was good. Physically demanding. The people were good, management was good. Lots of overtime. So much that I was basically gone 4 days a week.
Pros
Fresh air, Overtime
Cons
Too many variables (I.E Traffic)
smelled nasty
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 19, 2016
made people feel sick work long hours there
needles and other ojects and animals being sort in the garbage. wasnt something anyone would be happy doing
Pros
needed a job
Cons
not this one
it was a fun experience
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Job was very flexible, with supervisors and managers that were cooperative. Pressure was stable, while everyone worked hard, and no one created trouble for other coworkers
Good job but repetitious.
Residential Waste Collector (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 30, 2015
Good job.Poorly managed.
Picking up recycling/organic material in Peel Region and dumping it at MiRF.
There is no room for advancement and good work not rewarded as it once was. Co workers are ok, but majority are lazy.
Pros
Pay/benefits
Cons
Poor management, Employment relies on contract.
Learning new things about waste
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 26, 2015
Started when the flood of 2013 was just happening, they brought me in for maternity coverage, with a chance of a permanent position.

After the crisis they decided to move all the route data entry to Edmonton office.

my co-workers were fun and willing to train me on which ever system that was needed to be used.
Pros
Free Pizia every other week
Cons
Aternoon shift till 6 pm
I enjoyed working there
Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKMarch 3, 2016
despite personal conflicts, it was a nice place to work. My manager was a great people person. pre trips and post trips, operating garbabe trucks both front load and roll off trucks
great place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 4, 2016
wm is a great place to work, mechanics all get along with managemet. drivers always making mistakes and trying to blame mechanics.
Pros
salary
Cons
drivers
Great Job Experience
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 24, 2016
I would get picked up from my house around 3:30-4pm (after school) and be brought to the job site for the day, go on a truck, start working, get dropped back off at home.
Pros
Food, Breaks.
Cons
Very Draining
Ok
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 25, 2016
fast pace job and long hours! Team play a must to be done and have to do managements work for them.Co workers are great but company is just going rock bottom
It was a good environment to work in
waste collector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
this job taught me a lot about responsibility because it started at 5am and usually ended around 8pm, the job was difficult at times but the pay was worth it and i got plenty hours.
Great company
Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
Room for improvements with Managers.

Providing employee performance reviews for Unionized members would be beneficial.
Overall Decent Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 18, 2016
Safety Practices were good. Pay was good.

Company will overwork you in some ways.

Management is questionable.

Overtime was readily available.