Waste Management Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly envirnoment
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
Love coming into Work each day, co workers are always friendly and upbeat!
Each day brings new challenges, and the drivers make the days go fast!
waste operator
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2016
Work was hot and heavy in the summer months and cold and boring in the winter. things have changed so much since i worked there that i really should not be reviewing this branch of the city
Fun place to work
Residential Recycling Driver (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 November 2016
Great job, great people. Company didn't get contract with The City and I was laid off. Would definitely consider working there again.
Very hard work but rewarding. talking to customers was the highlight of my day.
Pros
Get in shape while you work
Cons
very hard physical work
Management is no good
Lead hand mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2016
Nothing good to say about the company. My co-workers were great for the most part. One of the mechanics thinks he knows everything and is the biggest drama queen and will run to management to get u written up
Pros
WAGES
Cons
MANAGEMENT
Positive Fast paced and multi-cultural environment
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
Work with persons of various ethnically diverse backgrounds and physical disabilities.Environment is positive and is where safety comes first. All treated equal.
Office is fast paced with data recovery & entry for 3 mrfs (material recovery facilities). Communication thru email, fax and telephone. Contact border crossings for logistics and various N American facilities for sea cans (train containers for logistics).
Hardest part of the job was during take-over and position was eliminated, many people were let go.
Working with diverse persons on a daily basis.
Pros
Full benefits, free training & upgrading
Cons
long hours 6 days / week
all day everyday work shift during stampede
Night Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
great team atmosphere fun to do,
pick up trash on the grounds cleaned around rides and spilt food also we switched out trash cans around the grounds insuring all grounds were clean.
Pros
money
Cons
night shift
Stable company with a high expectation on job safety and very good training processes
Driver/equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC3 October 2016
Good place to work with friendly people. I learned to operate front end, roll off,residential garbage trucks and gained experience in wheel loader/ forklift training.The hardest part of the job was chaining up roll off trucks in the snow and the most enjoyable part of the job was having a clear understanding of what needed to be done and what was expected the next day.
Pros
Very good stat pay
productive
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 September 2016
At waste management the people are really nice and helpful
Its a fastpace environment and it's quick and easy
You have to have a string gut to work at waste management
Good company, poor management
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 September 2016
Worked at WM as Parts Manager, had a positive relationship with other staff and mechanics. Only problem I had was with my supervisor. The supervisor was angry, hot tempered and mean. He bullied the mechanics and myself daily. I was able to do my job and shoulder the burnt of his 'dictatorship attitude' for over a year. Unfortunately, head-office sent down a layoff notice and three people were let go, one mechanic, one welder and myself. I was not upset by the layoff, rather relived that I wouldn't have to work with RM again.
Pros
Great staff, good solid company
Cons
Poor supervision and hostile work enviroment
Great starting point
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 August 2016
Learned the basics here, have nothing bad to say. I was afforded the opportunity to learn a little about every facet of operations from the plant to on the road.
one of the worst companies i ever worked for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 August 2016
Thankless managers that have absolutely not a clue on what to do and not one of them has a license to even drive a truck...oh yeah lets not forget about the 9 minute pre-trip they want or the 10 minute post trip...your treated like a king for first couple weeks then your a number like everyone else ...To sum it up the Top dogs are back stabbing spineless jellyfish the mid managers are puppets and they do not care if they pull out of Canada at all don`t waste even a thought of going to Waste of Management
Pros
money is not bad if you like slugging..., no weekend work
Cons
horrible place, managers are bone heads, they nickel and dime you to death
great place to work
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 August 2016
It was a 4 days a week contract.This job is not as easy as it looks.Co-workers are great to work with.Overtime if you choose to do some.
Pros
good overtime
Good job, usually
Operator (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB9 August 2016
I operated a front end truck and when the weather was good and the truck running up to expectations the job was great. Having a truck break down or weather stop you from completing a route only meant you had to do that much more the next day and because your days were already full it made life tough sometimes.

Management was ok for the most part, no large complaints. It was probably one of the better companies I have worked for.
All A Bunch of Garbage
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 July 2016
There are some wonderful people working at WM, but the internal issues/struggles and management makes it difficult to enjoy your job. Turn over is high, not many are happy but they stay due to pay and benefits/insurance coverage. I wish is were better, I would have retired from WM.
Good paying career
Container Welder (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 July 2016
This is a good paying company with great benefits. If your a recycle driver start time is about 6:00-7am start. Depending on your shift and location your working at. There is a high turnover rate for managers. Co-workers are ok just a lot of immature drama talk.
Pros
yearly bbq
Cons
immature drama
I cant begin to describe the disgusting practices of this company
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  toronto14 July 2016
I have never worked for, nor heard of such a repulsive company. Between the abuse of their workers and their insane contract policies, I am shocked they are still in business. NOBODY should support a corrupt outfit like this.
Pros
Hopefully they go bankrupt soon
Cons
They have not gone bankrupt yet
No life work balance
INSIDE COMMERCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 July 2016
Treated more like a number than a valued employee.

Toxic work environment and poorly managed.

No real opportunities to advance.
Amazing
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
My job at Waste Management was in a word amazing! I was very suited for the position. Unfortunately I got caught in a restructure due to business changes. I was the last one in so the first one out. A typical day started with payroll verification entry and processing. Reporting though out the day, driver check in, re sequencing of runs, customer service and sales liaison, balancing and reporting.
The hardest part of the day was the challenge of time management. This was to me an exciting part of my day. The staff was great to work with and systems were very invigorating.
Pros
learning, systems, staff, RRSP plan, benefits
Cons
I can think of none!
Fun and enjoyable work environment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 July 2016
A typical day consist of collaborative team work, listening and following instructions with attention to detail. Following health and safety precautions. Hands on physical work, lifting, bending, crouching ect.

Through this opportunity I have developed further skills on health and safety precautions, taking initiative, working with a diverse team of individuals working in the community and ultimately gaining knowledge and importance of waste management.

Management was very informative, employee and customer focused. Provided a very friendly and inviting environment. Encouraging and over-all a great experience to gain and inquire skills.

The workplace consist of a diverse team of co-workers, together helped each other to work towards a goal/ work orders. If conflict occurred would typically be resolved in a professional, mature manner. Employees for the majority got along and had a bond.

This job in particular had a demand for heavy physical work. Which was challenging and took some time adjusting to. However in the end I saw this challenge as an opportunity to work harder, learn from some weaknesses I've had. Understanding the importance to safety precautions, especially when it came to lifting, bending, crouching and posture. It goes a long ways to use proper body mechanics.

Over-all through my work experience I enjoyed working in my community and contributing back. Meeting new employees and getting along well with my fellow co-workers. Work hours and salary were reasonable
Pros
Free coffee, Good employees, Salary
Cons
Outdoor work
Don't bother
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Worked with WM for a 3 month period. Management treated the staff with no respect, yelling and making them feel that they are in grade 2. They couldn't even go to the bathroom without asking. Customer complaints all the time, billing and 3rd party customers are always complaining about services.