Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2016
Pros: Great benefits, competitive wages
Cons: Long hours
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: 4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons: Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Long hours
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Pros: I got a pen once
Cons: Everything
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee), OntarioNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons: Long hours, little to no support from area management.
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: Work hours
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Very Understanding
Cons: Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Learning new things about waste
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Free Pizia every other week
Cons: Aternoon shift till 6 pm
Started when the flood of 2013 was just happening, they brought me in for maternity coverage, with a chance of a permanent position.

After the crisis they decided to move all the route data entry to Edmonton office.

my co-workers were fun and willing to train me on which ever system that was needed to be used.
Good job but repetitious.
Residential Waste Collector (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Pay/benefits
Cons: Poor management, Employment relies on contract.
Good job.Poorly managed.
Picking up recycling/organic material in Peel Region and dumping it at MiRF.
There is no room for advancement and good work not rewarded as it once was. Co workers are ok, but majority are lazy.
Good job with draw backs
Driver/Loader (Former Employee), Peel, ONApril 18, 2016
Pros: Fresh air, Overtime
Cons: Too many variables (I.E Traffic)
The work was good. Physically demanding. The people were good, management was good. Lots of overtime. So much that I was basically gone 4 days a week.
I enjoyed working there
Operator (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKMarch 3, 2016
despite personal conflicts, it was a nice place to work. My manager was a great people person. pre trips and post trips, operating garbabe trucks both front load and roll off trucks
it was a fun experience
Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Job was very flexible, with supervisors and managers that were cooperative. Pressure was stable, while everyone worked hard, and no one created trouble for other coworkers
Great Job Experience
Loader Operator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: Food, Breaks.
Cons: Very Draining
I would get picked up from my house around 3:30-4pm (after school) and be brought to the job site for the day, go on a truck, start working, get dropped back off at home.
It was a good environment to work in
waste collector (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
this job taught me a lot about responsibility because it started at 5am and usually ended around 8pm, the job was difficult at times but the pay was worth it and i got plenty hours.
smelled nasty
Sorter (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: needed a job
Cons: not this one
made people feel sick work long hours there
needles and other ojects and animals being sort in the garbage. wasnt something anyone would be happy doing
Productive work, never get bored
General Labour- Garbage truck helper (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: breaks whenever needed
Cons: some drivers
being a garbage truck helper at waste management was great, because of the hours available to me. this company provided water, assistance and gloves when need. The completion of map was a task, every worker was willing to achieve.
Ok
Driver/Loader (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 25, 2016
fast pace job and long hours! Team play a must to be done and have to do managements work for them.Co workers are great but company is just going rock bottom
Overall Decent Company
Driver (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCFebruary 18, 2016
Safety Practices were good. Pay was good.

Company will overwork you in some ways.

Management is questionable.

Overtime was readily available.
Productive environment with great benefits
Truck driver/Swamper (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCNovember 26, 2015
On a typical day, I would drive the truck around the city on main roads and alleyways. I pick up the recycling bins and take the recyclables and out them in the truck.
Good Pay and work hours. good people to work with
Driver/ Operator (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 17, 2015
Good pay and benefits with Monday to Friday hours and lots of support from management. Friendly staff and lots of opportunity for advancement.
Headquarters