Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

one of the worst companies i ever worked for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 21, 2016
Thankless managers that have absolutely not a clue on what to do and not one of them has a license to even drive a truck...oh yeah lets not forget about the 9 minute pre-trip they want or the 10 minute post trip...your treated like a king for first couple weeks then your a number like everyone else ...To sum it up the Top dogs are back stabbing spineless jellyfish the mid managers are puppets and they do not care if they pull out of Canada at all don`t waste even a thought of going to Waste of Management
Pros
money is not bad if you like slugging..., no weekend work
Cons
horrible place, managers are bone heads, they nickel and dime you to death
Amazing
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
My job at Waste Management was in a word amazing! I was very suited for the position. Unfortunately I got caught in a restructure due to business changes. I was the last one in so the first one out. A typical day started with payroll verification entry and processing. Reporting though out the day, driver check in, re sequencing of runs, customer service and sales liaison, balancing and reporting.
The hardest part of the day was the challenge of time management. This was to me an exciting part of my day. The staff was great to work with and systems were very invigorating.
Pros
learning, systems, staff, RRSP plan, benefits
Cons
I can think of none!
Good job, usually
Operator (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABAugust 9, 2016
I operated a front end truck and when the weather was good and the truck running up to expectations the job was great. Having a truck break down or weather stop you from completing a route only meant you had to do that much more the next day and because your days were already full it made life tough sometimes.

Management was ok for the most part, no large complaints. It was probably one of the better companies I have worked for.
I cant begin to describe the disgusting practices of this company
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  torontoJuly 14, 2016
I have never worked for, nor heard of such a repulsive company. Between the abuse of their workers and their insane contract policies, I am shocked they are still in business. NOBODY should support a corrupt outfit like this.
Pros
Hopefully they go bankrupt soon
Cons
They have not gone bankrupt yet
Don't bother
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Worked with WM for a 3 month period. Management treated the staff with no respect, yelling and making them feel that they are in grade 2. They couldn't even go to the bathroom without asking. Customer complaints all the time, billing and 3rd party customers are always complaining about services.
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2016
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive wages
All A Bunch of Garbage
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 26, 2016
There are some wonderful people working at WM, but the internal issues/struggles and management makes it difficult to enjoy your job. Turn over is high, not many are happy but they stay due to pay and benefits/insurance coverage. I wish is were better, I would have retired from WM.
Good paying career
Container Welder (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJuly 26, 2016
This is a good paying company with great benefits. If your a recycle driver start time is about 6:00-7am start. Depending on your shift and location your working at. There is a high turnover rate for managers. Co-workers are ok just a lot of immature drama talk.
Pros
yearly bbq
Cons
immature drama
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Pros
I got a pen once
Cons
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons
Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Pros
Very Understanding
Cons
Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
Great starting point
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 26, 2016
Learned the basics here, have nothing bad to say. I was afforded the opportunity to learn a little about every facet of operations from the plant to on the road.
Good job with draw backs
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Peel, ONApril 18, 2016
The work was good. Physically demanding. The people were good, management was good. Lots of overtime. So much that I was basically gone 4 days a week.
Pros
Fresh air, Overtime
Cons
Too many variables (I.E Traffic)
No life work balance
INSIDE COMMERCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 10, 2016
Treated more like a number than a valued employee.

Toxic work environment and poorly managed.

No real opportunities to advance.
great place to work
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 19, 2016
It was a 4 days a week contract.This job is not as easy as it looks.Co-workers are great to work with.Overtime if you choose to do some.
Pros
good overtime
smelled nasty
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 19, 2016
made people feel sick work long hours there
needles and other ojects and animals being sort in the garbage. wasnt something anyone would be happy doing
Pros
needed a job
Cons
not this one
Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 24, 2015
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Pros
Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons
Long hours, little to no support from area management.
it was a fun experience
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Job was very flexible, with supervisors and managers that were cooperative. Pressure was stable, while everyone worked hard, and no one created trouble for other coworkers
great place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 4, 2016
wm is a great place to work, mechanics all get along with managemet. drivers always making mistakes and trying to blame mechanics.
Pros
salary
Cons
drivers