Waste Management

1.6K reviews

Waste Management Employee Reviews

Best Place To Work
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, ONJanuary 12, 2014
I started with the company in 2005, as a front line Manager, and progressed over the 7 years I was employed, to District Manager. The company sold up and left town back in 2012, but my time, overall was one of the best - very stressful at times, but the support network was second to none, and the structure and systems were light years ahead of the competition. There were tough times, but I can honestly say I have nothing negative to say about this employer - fantastic family atmosphere & great safety culture. In my last 2 to 3 years at the District, I had the honour to work with a great team, and fantastic group of professional drivers & support employees & staff. I believe one of my lowest seniority employees had 10 years seniority - that speaks for itself. From the bottom to the top, your opinion counted, and regular employee surveys were carried out by external (confidential) bodies, and all findings acted upon. Where else can you find that? Also, they continually asked their customers (with surveys) what they thought about WM. If you get the call, it will be the best decision you can make ....
Pros
enjoyed coming to work, treated with dignity & respect
Cons
keeping up with new developments!
One of the best jobs I ever had!
ScaleOperator/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, OntarioJuly 9, 2013
My work day started at 6:30 am and I was the first one in the office, besides the drivers whom had their own room. I weighed in trucks daily, I dealt with cash customers needing to dump their personal trash, all clerical duties, many different types of reports using computer skills I've acquired throughout the years and use of CB radio and surveillance cameras. The people I worked with were some of the best people I've ever met. Each driver who worked for the company and the outside people needing to empty their trash, were always so nice to me. There was no hard part of the job. Unfortunately it was only a temporary job and they were bought out by a different company, they didn't want to let me go and gave me a good bye party when I did have to leave.
Pros
pro was getting along well with co workers
Cons
the only con i can think of is if there were no trucks coming into the scale
able to make money... if you can get a shift
loader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 24, 2015
lets start of by saying I haven't quit because I haven't found a new job. the job can get hard on the body. some of the people you work with are nice others.. not so much. defiantly not worth the pay. long hard days no matter what weather for basically minimum wage. I don't know about all agencies but the one im with is horrible. They take forever to reply back to you IF they do. constant mishaps over scheduling and payment. lied about pay increases and being hired on. TO ALL LOADERS WHATEVER AN AGENCY SAYS YOU WILL NOT MAKE OVER 13/HR AND WASTE MANAGEMENT WILL NOT I REPEAT WILL NOT HIRE YOU ON. During busy season its easy to make 600 in four days if you are willing to put in the hours. But as of now I am LUCKY to get 2 shift a week. it is march. This is from personal experience cut my agency out and it would be 10000000000x better of an experience
Pros
4 day weeks
Cons
pay is not worth the work
disappointing
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 4, 2013
At the end of my short career at Waste Management I found it hard to come to work everyday. The company had a odd way of operating and not making it easy on the employees. Decisions were made to "better" the team however that back fired for the lack of moral. Although I did move on from the call centre I still find that the management style was the same. Managers seemed to care about you as person and as an employee however their actions suggested different.I have made some lasting friendship from working at WM, find out I can work in a very fast paced environment, and that I can sell and be good at it. It is just not a fair company to work for.
Pros
the people are great, activities during the holidays were fun, customer service week was fun
Cons
low pay, poor decisions, backstabbing, no advancement, brainwashed managers
Older uncomfortable trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2013
I worked for this company in Vancouver BC, even though they wanted a driver I got hired as a swamper. Work is extremely busy in residential areas and very condensed tight routes.

I always wondered why they keep advertising the job.Every few weeks I saw their ad on my email updates, and I realize the reason now since they it is extremely hard to find drivers who would get in and out 1000 times a day

Your knees after along 10hours shift will feel very stiff, and you might end up doing knee surgery down the road
Trucks are too old and frequently needs repairs, I was horrified to find most of their trucks mirrors are in desperate need for repair.

Most of older drivers are on sick leave or recovering or even injured
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
older trucks, condensed routes, lack of training
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons
Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
Terrible workplace with good salary/ benefits
Helper/Driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSApril 22, 2013
the only place I ever worked where work comes before life, a severe lack of understanding of life's mishaps and unforseen events on management's part.

Arrive at work between 6:15 & 6:45 am, leave shop by 7 am work until all garbage/compost in area is collected, help other drivers finish their runs. Return to shop.

I learned that nobody is safe/ secure in their position there.

management is highly unorganised

No complaints about co-workers.

hardest part of the job: feeling the effects of management pulling trucks out of an already shorthanded area.

most enjoyable part of the job: appreciation by the customer.
Pros
good salary, good benefits, good co-workers
Cons
lack of appreciation by management, mismanagement, long hours
Management and team moral needs improving
Dispatcher II (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 7, 2014
Although the perks of this employer is great (pay, benefits, RRSP's, etc.) the work environment itself, is very negative. Employees do not receive enough or any positive feedback from their management / supervisor team. Will receive the amount of work for 4 dispatchers as opposed to 1. Coverage of areas are constantly changing. In less then 1 month, 4 people quit and were not replaced. Always short staffed.
Asking for shift changes and being told when once becomes available you will receive it, after 2 years and few new people being hired with the shift you wanted, having to use vacation days for doctor appointments (shift was 9-6, was very difficult to make appointments when needed).
Cons
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Pros
Work hours
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  New Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2014
It is a learning process, always on the lookout for your co-worker and yourself safety. A typical day is like not stop work, whether it be on the production line, cleaning and shovelling debris. The morning is the hardest time, because for some reason the time drags on. We all work as a team, always helping and watching each other back. Management is always on the go. The most enjoyable part of the job is where we can have a laugh and break the tension, it helps make the time past faster. Some days we all know when to start, but at the end of the day, it can end up any time after 5/6pm or more.
Cons

Want to know more about Waste Management?

Ask a question
fast paced environment with good pay and benefits
maintenance manager/night shift foreman (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 6, 2014
Typical day included daily maintenance planning, toolbox meeting and launching mechanics in their respective tasks. communicate with operations and their daily needs and integrate into nightly plan. Continued with parts ordering and receiving or previously ordered parts. Inspect and advise mechanics on their current and ongoing jobs. resume personal jobs while staying fluid to advise and help with ongoing jobs throughout the shop. finish night off with updating operations on availability of units.
Very dynamic industry
Major Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 3, 2015
The thing I love about working at Waste Management is the people. I feel supported and appreciated by my manager and my team. I love working with customers and problem solving to find the right solution for their needs. I love to learn about the industry and how the changing dynamics of our business impacts our clients. Change is a constant at Waste Management and although I thrive on this change, I too am looking for a career change, in order to apply my skills and learn new things, after working 20 years successfully with this company.
Pros
People
Challenging Work Environment with Opportunities for Equipment Improvement
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2013
The design of mechanical equipment used in waste management operations offer our team with the possibility express new ideas for equipment enhancement.
We work as a team, we are expose to the resolution of technical issues, but in general everyone cooperates for the finding of appropriate solutions.
This is a 5-day job that allows us to relax on week-ends, and makes our work more enjoyable.
Pros
free cofffee and tea
Cons
sometimes we have longer hours of work
Very Shady
Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2015
A very selfish company and the only reason why Waste Management has safety policies is to protect the company and not the employees. The only time they enforce their safety rules is when upper management is around. When an accident occurs, they use there safety policies, that they never enforce, to blame the employee and discipline them. It's all about the company and their insurance costs. Employees are expected to do whatever it takes to get the job done as fast as possible but if anything happens, blame is 100% on the employee.
Not a very great place to work at
Waste Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Working at Quality 1 Training in Edmonton Alberta was I would have to say the worst experience ever. The main boss does not care if anyone gets hurt, if you got hurt it was to bad you still had to work....Blood could have been coming out of your head she would still make you work (I'm not even kidding)....I will never go back there again and if anyone ever asks me about the place I will be honest and tell them the truth about the place....
Pros
na
Cons
long hours, a boss that didn't care about her employees
Good job to gain experience
Route Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 6, 2014
A typical day at work... there really isn't a typical day. Your work hours range anywhere between 12-16 hours a day. Granted, it's only a 4 day work week, but there a lots of long and stressful days. This I think was the hardest part of the job, being able to find work/life balance; it just doesn't happen. The best part about the job are the people I work with. Everyone there is very supportive and are willing to lend a helping hand.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
working anywhere between 50-60 hours in 4 days
Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 24, 2015
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Pros
Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons
Long hours, little to no support from area management.
Working with two other women was fun and we got the job done too!
Dispatch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, Sk.April 10, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of phone answering, job entering and scheduling and then dispatching to drivers. When the run sheets were finalized, they were printed and I collated and stapled them. The hardest part of the job was when we were slow, it was hard to keep busy. All the staff at the time were interesting and respectful-the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
staff lunches
Cons
toxic (mould) in the office environment
Great pay, dirty work
Recycle/Garbage truck operator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMay 12, 2015
Responsible for the daily collection of refuse (garbage or recycle) within a set area. typically 3 loads per day with a drive to and from the dump site. co workers were awesome, as were some of the management. The hardest part of the job is working during the cold and wet seasons, with increased holiday refuse. The best thing about the job is the pay rate and the tips during the christmas season
Pros
excellent benefits/wages
Cons
Long hours, huge workload
Waste Management- Fast Paced environment
Recycle Sorter-Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 23, 2012
Work at waste management was fun and very fast paced, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The team that I worked in was enjoyable and I developed a great relationship with my manager, since I was willing to do some work that other team members were reluctant to complete.

I enjoyed my time at Waste Management, but when the plant closed I had to relocate.
Pros
company was great, fast paced environment
Cons
location would get very hot in the summer.