Waste Management Employee Reviews

Positive Fast paced and multi-cultural environment
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
Work with persons of various ethnically diverse backgrounds and physical disabilities.Environment is positive and is where safety comes first. All treated equal.
Office is fast paced with data recovery & entry for 3 mrfs (material recovery facilities). Communication thru email, fax and telephone. Contact border crossings for logistics and various N American facilities for sea cans (train containers for logistics).
Hardest part of the job was during take-over and position was eliminated, many people were let go.
Working with diverse persons on a daily basis.
Pros
Full benefits, free training & upgrading
Cons
long hours 6 days / week
Amazing
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
My job at Waste Management was in a word amazing! I was very suited for the position. Unfortunately I got caught in a restructure due to business changes. I was the last one in so the first one out. A typical day started with payroll verification entry and processing. Reporting though out the day, driver check in, re sequencing of runs, customer service and sales liaison, balancing and reporting.
The hardest part of the day was the challenge of time management. This was to me an exciting part of my day. The staff was great to work with and systems were very invigorating.
Pros
learning, systems, staff, RRSP plan, benefits
Cons
I can think of none!
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2016
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive wages
All A Bunch of Garbage
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 July 2016
There are some wonderful people working at WM, but the internal issues/struggles and management makes it difficult to enjoy your job. Turn over is high, not many are happy but they stay due to pay and benefits/insurance coverage. I wish is were better, I would have retired from WM.
one of the worst companies i ever worked for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 August 2016
Thankless managers that have absolutely not a clue on what to do and not one of them has a license to even drive a truck...oh yeah lets not forget about the 9 minute pre-trip they want or the 10 minute post trip...your treated like a king for first couple weeks then your a number like everyone else ...To sum it up the Top dogs are back stabbing spineless jellyfish the mid managers are puppets and they do not care if they pull out of Canada at all don`t waste even a thought of going to Waste of Management
Pros
money is not bad if you like slugging..., no weekend work
Cons
horrible place, managers are bone heads, they nickel and dime you to death
Fun and enjoyable work environment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 July 2016
A typical day consist of collaborative team work, listening and following instructions with attention to detail. Following health and safety precautions. Hands on physical work, lifting, bending, crouching ect.

Through this opportunity I have developed further skills on health and safety precautions, taking initiative, working with a diverse team of individuals working in the community and ultimately gaining knowledge and importance of waste management.

Management was very informative, employee and customer focused. Provided a very friendly and inviting environment. Encouraging and over-all a great experience to gain and inquire skills.

The workplace consist of a diverse team of co-workers, together helped each other to work towards a goal/ work orders. If conflict occurred would typically be resolved in a professional, mature manner. Employees for the majority got along and had a bond.

This job in particular had a demand for heavy physical work. Which was challenging and took some time adjusting to. However in the end I saw this challenge as an opportunity to work harder, learn from some weaknesses I've had. Understanding the importance to safety precautions, especially when it came to lifting, bending, crouching and posture. It goes a long ways to use proper body mechanics.

Over-all through my work experience I enjoyed working in my community and contributing back. Meeting new employees and getting along well with my fellow co-workers. Work hours and salary were reasonable
Pros
Free coffee, Good employees, Salary
Cons
Outdoor work
Good job, usually
Operator (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB9 August 2016
I operated a front end truck and when the weather was good and the truck running up to expectations the job was great. Having a truck break down or weather stop you from completing a route only meant you had to do that much more the next day and because your days were already full it made life tough sometimes.

Management was ok for the most part, no large complaints. It was probably one of the better companies I have worked for.
Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee) –  Ontario24 November 2015
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Pros
Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons
Long hours, little to no support from area management.
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2016
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Pros
I got a pen once
Management is no good
Lead hand mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2016
Nothing good to say about the company. My co-workers were great for the most part. One of the mechanics thinks he knows everything and is the biggest drama queen and will run to management to get u written up
Pros
WAGES
Cons
MANAGEMENT
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2016
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Good company, poor management
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 September 2016
Worked at WM as Parts Manager, had a positive relationship with other staff and mechanics. Only problem I had was with my supervisor. The supervisor was angry, hot tempered and mean. He bullied the mechanics and myself daily. I was able to do my job and shoulder the burnt of his 'dictatorship attitude' for over a year. Unfortunately, head-office sent down a layoff notice and three people were let go, one mechanic, one welder and myself. I was not upset by the layoff, rather relived that I wouldn't have to work with RM again.
Pros
Great staff, good solid company
Cons
Poor supervision and hostile work enviroment
Good paying career
Container Welder (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 July 2016
This is a good paying company with great benefits. If your a recycle driver start time is about 6:00-7am start. Depending on your shift and location your working at. There is a high turnover rate for managers. Co-workers are ok just a lot of immature drama talk.
Pros
yearly bbq
Cons
immature drama
productive
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 September 2016
At waste management the people are really nice and helpful
Its a fastpace environment and it's quick and easy
You have to have a string gut to work at waste management
Don't bother
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Worked with WM for a 3 month period. Management treated the staff with no respect, yelling and making them feel that they are in grade 2. They couldn't even go to the bathroom without asking. Customer complaints all the time, billing and 3rd party customers are always complaining about services.
Stable company with a high expectation on job safety and very good training processes
Driver/equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC3 October 2016
Good place to work with friendly people. I learned to operate front end, roll off,residential garbage trucks and gained experience in wheel loader/ forklift training.The hardest part of the job was chaining up roll off trucks in the snow and the most enjoyable part of the job was having a clear understanding of what needed to be done and what was expected the next day.
Pros
Very good stat pay
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 November 2015
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Pros
Work hours
Ok
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 March 2016
fast pace job and long hours! Team play a must to be done and have to do managements work for them.Co workers are great but company is just going rock bottom
Good job but repetitious.
Residential Waste Collector (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 November 2015
Good job.Poorly managed.
Picking up recycling/organic material in Peel Region and dumping it at MiRF.
There is no room for advancement and good work not rewarded as it once was. Co workers are ok, but majority are lazy.
Pros
Pay/benefits
Cons
Poor management, Employment relies on contract.
Good Pay and work hours. good people to work with
Driver/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 December 2015
Good pay and benefits with Monday to Friday hours and lots of support from management. Friendly staff and lots of opportunity for advancement.