Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee), OntarioNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons: Long hours, little to no support from area management.
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: Work hours
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Long hours
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Good job but repetitious.
Residential Waste Collector (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Pay/benefits
Cons: Poor management, Employment relies on contract.
Good job.Poorly managed.
Picking up recycling/organic material in Peel Region and dumping it at MiRF.
There is no room for advancement and good work not rewarded as it once was. Co workers are ok, but majority are lazy.
Good Pay and work hours. good people to work with
Driver/ Operator (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 17, 2015
Good pay and benefits with Monday to Friday hours and lots of support from management. Friendly staff and lots of opportunity for advancement.
Very dynamic industry
Major Account Manager (Current Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 3, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Long hours
The thing I love about working at Waste Management is the people. I feel supported and appreciated by my manager and my team. I love working with customers and problem solving to find the right solution for their needs. I love to learn about the industry and how the changing dynamics of our business impacts our clients. Change is a constant at Waste Management and although I thrive on this change, I too am looking for a career change, in order to apply my skills and learn new things, after working 20 years successfully with this company.
Ok
Driver/Loader (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 25, 2016
fast pace job and long hours! Team play a must to be done and have to do managements work for them.Co workers are great but company is just going rock bottom
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Pros: I got a pen once
Cons: Everything
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Very Understanding
Cons: Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: 4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons: Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Great employees
Account Manager- Small and Medium Business (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: salary and benefits
Fun to work with the employees. easy to relate to. Management unaware of what is happening on floor. Agents need more training and coaching on sales objectives and to meet sales quotas..
Great pay, dirty work
Recycle/Garbage truck operator (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 12, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits/wages
Cons: Long hours, huge workload
Responsible for the daily collection of refuse (garbage or recycle) within a set area. typically 3 loads per day with a drive to and from the dump site. co workers were awesome, as were some of the management. The hardest part of the job is working during the cold and wet seasons, with increased holiday refuse. The best thing about the job is the pay rate and the tips during the christmas season
Overall Decent Company
Driver (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCFebruary 18, 2016
Safety Practices were good. Pay was good.

Company will overwork you in some ways.

Management is questionable.

Overtime was readily available.
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2016
Pros: Great benefits, competitive wages
Cons: Long hours
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
enjoyable to work for
Driver (Former Employee), Longueuil, QCJuly 10, 2015
Pros: hourly rate, work benefits
Cons: none
Management takes very good care of their employees, very supportive and understanding. A family oriented company, The drivers are very important to them, we are not just a number.
Productive work, never get bored
General Labour- Garbage truck helper (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: breaks whenever needed
Cons: some drivers
being a garbage truck helper at waste management was great, because of the hours available to me. this company provided water, assistance and gloves when need. The completion of map was a task, every worker was willing to achieve.
Good job with draw backs
Driver/Loader (Former Employee), Peel, ONApril 18, 2016
Pros: Fresh air, Overtime
Cons: Too many variables (I.E Traffic)
The work was good. Physically demanding. The people were good, management was good. Lots of overtime. So much that I was basically gone 4 days a week.
Very enjoyable different jobs done every day
Office Manager/Administration (Former Employee), Carp, OntarioAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Lunches, Functions and travel to other sites
Cons: None
Working at the landfill was very interesting and you learned about the environment and the daily things going on
Management was very knowledgeable, professional, friendly and helpful
Co-worker were very helpful, personable and nice
It was an enjoyable job because you did different things everyday and had the opportunity to learn
it was a fun experience
Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Job was very flexible, with supervisors and managers that were cooperative. Pressure was stable, while everyone worked hard, and no one created trouble for other coworkers
smelled nasty
Sorter (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: needed a job
Cons: not this one
made people feel sick work long hours there
needles and other ojects and animals being sort in the garbage. wasnt something anyone would be happy doing
Headquarters