Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

Good place to work to gain some experience, but no room for advancement
Route Mananger (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 24, 2015
Great company culture, with extra emphasis on employee safety. Area management doesn't support local management team when it's needed the most. Hours are long, and sometime expectations on employees are far too much for the yearly salary. Employee advancement seems to be gauged on popularity rather than on performance.
Pros
Decent pay & benefits, strong safety culture
Cons
Long hours, little to no support from area management.
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Productive and not good office space, too crowded
Sales Coordinator&Construction Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
To stand up to my commitment a typical day can go by like I have been there just for 4 or 5 hours, have to answer the phone queue and action customers requests as I am completing other e-mail requests at the same time from sales reps and other customers. Learned new systems. Management needs more improvement. The hardest part of the job is no appreciation or motivation on what you work hard and complete in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of the customer when they end up in my line. Standing up to my commitment I gave the employer by completing my tasks in timely manners.
Pros
Work hours
Good job but repetitious.
Residential Waste Collector (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 30, 2015
Good job.Poorly managed.
Picking up recycling/organic material in Peel Region and dumping it at MiRF.
There is no room for advancement and good work not rewarded as it once was. Co workers are ok, but majority are lazy.
Pros
Pay/benefits
Cons
Poor management, Employment relies on contract.
Ok
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 25, 2016
fast pace job and long hours! Team play a must to be done and have to do managements work for them.Co workers are great but company is just going rock bottom
Good Pay and work hours. good people to work with
Driver/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 17, 2015
Good pay and benefits with Monday to Friday hours and lots of support from management. Friendly staff and lots of opportunity for advancement.
one of the worst companies i ever worked for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 21, 2016
Thankless managers that have absolutely not a clue on what to do and not one of them has a license to even drive a truck...oh yeah lets not forget about the 9 minute pre-trip they want or the 10 minute post trip...your treated like a king for first couple weeks then your a number like everyone else ...To sum it up the Top dogs are back stabbing spineless jellyfish the mid managers are puppets and they do not care if they pull out of Canada at all don`t waste even a thought of going to Waste of Management
Pros
money is not bad if you like slugging..., no weekend work
Cons
horrible place, managers are bone heads, they nickel and dime you to death
Amazing
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
My job at Waste Management was in a word amazing! I was very suited for the position. Unfortunately I got caught in a restructure due to business changes. I was the last one in so the first one out. A typical day started with payroll verification entry and processing. Reporting though out the day, driver check in, re sequencing of runs, customer service and sales liaison, balancing and reporting.
The hardest part of the day was the challenge of time management. This was to me an exciting part of my day. The staff was great to work with and systems were very invigorating.
Pros
learning, systems, staff, RRSP plan, benefits
Cons
I can think of none!
Very dynamic industry
Major Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 3, 2015
The thing I love about working at Waste Management is the people. I feel supported and appreciated by my manager and my team. I love working with customers and problem solving to find the right solution for their needs. I love to learn about the industry and how the changing dynamics of our business impacts our clients. Change is a constant at Waste Management and although I thrive on this change, I too am looking for a career change, in order to apply my skills and learn new things, after working 20 years successfully with this company.
Pros
People
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Pros
I got a pen once
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Pros
Very Understanding
Cons
Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
Good job, usually
Operator (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABAugust 9, 2016
I operated a front end truck and when the weather was good and the truck running up to expectations the job was great. Having a truck break down or weather stop you from completing a route only meant you had to do that much more the next day and because your days were already full it made life tough sometimes.

Management was ok for the most part, no large complaints. It was probably one of the better companies I have worked for.
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons
Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
I cant begin to describe the disgusting practices of this company
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  torontoJuly 14, 2016
I have never worked for, nor heard of such a repulsive company. Between the abuse of their workers and their insane contract policies, I am shocked they are still in business. NOBODY should support a corrupt outfit like this.
Pros
Hopefully they go bankrupt soon
Cons
They have not gone bankrupt yet
Don't bother
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Worked with WM for a 3 month period. Management treated the staff with no respect, yelling and making them feel that they are in grade 2. They couldn't even go to the bathroom without asking. Customer complaints all the time, billing and 3rd party customers are always complaining about services.
All A Bunch of Garbage
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 26, 2016
There are some wonderful people working at WM, but the internal issues/struggles and management makes it difficult to enjoy your job. Turn over is high, not many are happy but they stay due to pay and benefits/insurance coverage. I wish is were better, I would have retired from WM.
Good paying career
Container Welder (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJuly 26, 2016
This is a good paying company with great benefits. If your a recycle driver start time is about 6:00-7am start. Depending on your shift and location your working at. There is a high turnover rate for managers. Co-workers are ok just a lot of immature drama talk.
Pros
yearly bbq
Cons
immature drama
Overall Decent Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 18, 2016
Safety Practices were good. Pay was good.

Company will overwork you in some ways.

Management is questionable.

Overtime was readily available.
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2016
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive wages
Great pay, dirty work
Recycle/Garbage truck operator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMay 12, 2015
Responsible for the daily collection of refuse (garbage or recycle) within a set area. typically 3 loads per day with a drive to and from the dump site. co workers were awesome, as were some of the management. The hardest part of the job is working during the cold and wet seasons, with increased holiday refuse. The best thing about the job is the pay rate and the tips during the christmas season
Pros
excellent benefits/wages
Cons
Long hours, huge workload