Waste Management Employee Reviews in Canada

I cant begin to describe the disgusting practices of this company
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  torontoJuly 14, 2016
I have never worked for, nor heard of such a repulsive company. Between the abuse of their workers and their insane contract policies, I am shocked they are still in business. NOBODY should support a corrupt outfit like this.
Pros
Hopefully they go bankrupt soon
Cons
They have not gone bankrupt yet
No life work balance
INSIDE COMMERCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 10, 2016
Treated more like a number than a valued employee.

Toxic work environment and poorly managed.

No real opportunities to advance.
Amazing
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
My job at Waste Management was in a word amazing! I was very suited for the position. Unfortunately I got caught in a restructure due to business changes. I was the last one in so the first one out. A typical day started with payroll verification entry and processing. Reporting though out the day, driver check in, re sequencing of runs, customer service and sales liaison, balancing and reporting.
The hardest part of the day was the challenge of time management. This was to me an exciting part of my day. The staff was great to work with and systems were very invigorating.
Pros
learning, systems, staff, RRSP plan, benefits
Cons
I can think of none!
Don't bother
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Worked with WM for a 3 month period. Management treated the staff with no respect, yelling and making them feel that they are in grade 2. They couldn't even go to the bathroom without asking. Customer complaints all the time, billing and 3rd party customers are always complaining about services.
great place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 4, 2016
wm is a great place to work, mechanics all get along with managemet. drivers always making mistakes and trying to blame mechanics.
Pros
salary
Cons
drivers
Great company
Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
Room for improvements with Managers.

Providing employee performance reviews for Unionized members would be beneficial.
smelled nasty
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 19, 2016
made people feel sick work long hours there
needles and other ojects and animals being sort in the garbage. wasnt something anyone would be happy doing
Pros
needed a job
Cons
not this one
Do Not Work Here!
Inside National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
Waste Management is an awful place to work, in my time I saw over 20 people come and go inside just one department within
(less than 2 years) a very short period of time.

Do not expect to work there long as the company is failing inside Canada and the Management is blind to why. Mid level mangers hire and fire new staff all the time as they are used as sacrificial lambs to be blamed for huge losses each month.

I would like to be able to say something nice about my time working there, but I really can not come up with anything of substance. For a major company the care very little about employees, the 2015 Christmas party consisted of some turkey cold cuts and getting to leave an hour early on the 24th and no bonus.

Multiple times they would not payout owed commissions to employees and they would have to fight for it, or they would announce last minute changes to when commission is getting paid.
Pros
I got a pen once
Cons
Good job with draw backs
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Peel, ONApril 18, 2016
The work was good. Physically demanding. The people were good, management was good. Lots of overtime. So much that I was basically gone 4 days a week.
Pros
Fresh air, Overtime
Cons
Too many variables (I.E Traffic)
dd
Helper (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 17, 2016
it was good to work here. didnt really like the people or the atmosphere but overall it was an ok experince and oppourtunties
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2016
-there is no typical day at work at WM. Every day is different presenting it's own challenges.
-I learned the ins and outs of the waste industry
-management was approachable and fair
-coworkers were fun and made the job enjoyable
-hardest part of the job is the hours at certain times of the year
-the most enjoyable part was the team I worked on.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive wages
it was a fun experience
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Job was very flexible, with supervisors and managers that were cooperative. Pressure was stable, while everyone worked hard, and no one created trouble for other coworkers
Ok
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 25, 2016
fast pace job and long hours! Team play a must to be done and have to do managements work for them.Co workers are great but company is just going rock bottom
Productive work place
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
Working on a convener Belt sorting through garbage. most enjoyable part was cleanup at 230pm. and fridays were shorter. hardest part is reaching the pick count that you have to do.
Pros
Very Understanding
Cons
Long Hours, Let you go for not reaching pick counts
Never a boring moment
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Busy with forever shifting priorities. I learned something new everyday and taught something new as well. I love being challenged. The management was focused, tough and fair. Co-workers were the best part of my day 2nd FAMILY - we all bleed green. Hardest part of my job was the work/life balance, thats something I needed to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
I enjoyed working there
Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKMarch 3, 2016
despite personal conflicts, it was a nice place to work. My manager was a great people person. pre trips and post trips, operating garbabe trucks both front load and roll off trucks
Overall Decent Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 18, 2016
Safety Practices were good. Pay was good.

Company will overwork you in some ways.

Management is questionable.

Overtime was readily available.
Hard work but satisfying.
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work from start to finish was basically driving the truck and pitching garbage, switching with my partner every half hour or so when not working with a TO. I learned to be a team player and work professionally in safely picking up and disposing of garbage.

Working with co-workers was sometimes challenging especially if their work ethic wasn't quite up to mine. The hardest part of the job was repeatedly get up and down the truck and working in areas of heavy garbage.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when my route got cleared without the need of extra help ... a very satisfying feeling.
Pros
4 day workweek (Monday to Thursday)
Cons
Being sent out to pick up renovation materials when not supposed to.
Great Job Experience
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 24, 2016
I would get picked up from my house around 3:30-4pm (after school) and be brought to the job site for the day, go on a truck, start working, get dropped back off at home.
Pros
Food, Breaks.
Cons
Very Draining
It was a good environment to work in
waste collector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
this job taught me a lot about responsibility because it started at 5am and usually ended around 8pm, the job was difficult at times but the pay was worth it and i got plenty hours.