This position is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the activities of the Site's day-to-day operations, consistent with the local business plan. Due to the nature of the business at this site, Route Managers are required to start early mornings as drivers leave the yard at 2:00am. Potential for this position to run Tuesday-Saturday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental, Transportation and WCB/WSIB legislation, regulations and internal procedures.
- Provide strong leadership and support to the achievement of 'Service Machine' objectives.
- Meet all targets consistent with achieving Safety goals for the site and a strong involvement in all aspects of the site's daily safety.
- Maintain a high standard of service to the region/area.
- Ensure all productivity targets are met on a consistent basis.
- Provide effective leadership and coaching to employees.
- Daily Observational Assessments of Drivers and Helpers, follow-up and re-training as necessary.
- Frequent travel between other sites in GTA to provide Management coverage as required.
- Morning roll-out of drivers ensuring pre-trips are conducted accurately and routing questions are addressed. Conducts weekly safety meetings to address key safety items/recent incidents.
- Manages end-of-day check-in process, capturing and communicating key service, safety and equipment issues.
- Sets and monitors productivity, service and safety targets for each route and driver.
- Plans, distributes, monitors and follows up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Monitors driver time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies.
- Promotes a cooperative atmosphere and where appropriate, establishes collaborative relations with the union. Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities; coordinating daily operational needs with Maintenance team.
- Experience in a supervisory role or a demonstrated ability to supervise and direct employees within a unionized environment.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to coach and mentor employees.
- Experience managing health & safety responsibilities and involvement with JHSC's.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Secondary diploma or the equivalent combination of education & experience.
- Two  years transportation operations experience, preferably within the waste industry.
Why Waste Management?
As North America's largest residential recycler, Waste Management is driven by a commitment to excellence and leadership. We provide real opportunities for career growth while making a difference in the communities we serve.
If you are ready for a career opportunity with a company whose real goals, values and initiatives match yours - we invite you to visit us at www.wmcareers.com to learn even more about this and other opportunities with Waste Management.