WALTER ENERGY Employee Reviews in Canada

small mine who promoted job diversification
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.C.November 29, 2015
great work environment, which relyed on workers willingness to learn the operations of other pieces of equipment to diversify the team by offering use hours to train on other pieces of equipment and opertunities to come in for overtime on off shift to help out with production on the other crews.
Pros
2 weeks in 2 weeks out
Cons
world coal prices forced company to susspend operations
Job Security Dependant on Market
Pit Service/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 14, 2015
With coal prices plummeting from the start there was no job security. Laid off with half hours notice from company. Overall employment was great, ending of employment for all 700 of us worker was completely unacceptable, we are still waiting on severance and in-leiu of notice settlement. Its been 2 years since we were terminated without notice.
Pros
7 days off in a row
Cons
Easily exhausted from 7 days of 12 hour shifts.
Really enjoyed the work place area. Was a great work experience.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCSeptember 4, 2015
working in a coal mine was a very good work experience for me. I learned a lot of things to work with. Working with others was like making a family. the hardest part of the job was working alone as it was a 2 person job.
Pros
Was nice to have a bus to transport us to work
Cons
hourly workers would get raises and salary would'nt
would work there again
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCAugust 10, 2015
it was a typical coal mine. i enjoyed the job i was required to do but management left much to be desired. it was not as organized or well managed as it could have been.
Wages and benefits were excellent
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCAugust 9, 2015
The company provided new equipment which was a lot more healthier than other companies I have worked for. The wages and benefits were excellent but the job security was not very good as coal prices go up and down. The company provided suitable vacation time and was lenient of family days. I enjoyed working with my co-workers very much. And the leadership in the company was very good in regards to the supervisors.
Pros
Wages and benefits were excellent
Cons
Not very stable job
It was a great job!!
Steam truck operator and Lube Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCJuly 28, 2015
I really enjoyed mining. It was good work good money and great people to have in a work place. Although at times the planners did mess up it was really good!!
Pros
company treated us well!!
Cons
They closed down with no notice.
Lots of great training and respect for their employees
Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Northern B.CJuly 7, 2015
A typical day would be a 12 hour day. The start of my shift would inquirer me to ensure proper fluid levels are maintain in the fleet. Working with the maintenance planner to perform preventive maintenance on the mining equipment based on a 500 hour service interval. I learned basic diagnostic and mechanical skills. Management was helpful and respectful of their employees. My co-workers were a team player and would make the work environment pleasurable. The hard part of my job would be working away from home and the extreme weather conditions. What made my job enjoyable was the wide variety of equipment to learn about and work on.
Pros
Flexible in over time.
Cons
Being far away from home
it was a good place to work.
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCJuly 1, 2015
hard working staff , being saftey consious. the camp could have been a little better. pretty good equipment. chances to learn other equipment and room for advancement. great teamwork.
Pros
lots of equipment
Cons
camp could have been in better shape
Great place to work,good benefits,wages.shift rotation,good equipment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  ChetwyndMarch 5, 2015
Enjoyed working at Walter Energy,worked as a team,supervision was help full,long days but enjoyed the atmosphere in camp setting.Great food ,nice camp.Would return.
Pros
safe setting, good group to work with
Cons
none to mention
productive and fun workplace
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at the warehouse would be starting off with our safety meetings, we would start to do inspections on loaders and forklift.
I have learned so much from walter energy, for example - shipping/receiving, how to operate loaders and forklift and being trained to be lead hand that had lots of responsibility which I didn't mind, it was the time when the mine shut down so I didn't officially get the title.
My crew was amazing, we were awesome as a team and individually as well. We completed tasks professionally and were considered the best crew out of the two.
it was the best job ever i was their for 7 years and i was their for reclamation at the wolverine site in tumbler ridge i hope they open again
Shovel operator (Current Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCJanuary 14, 2015
I hope walter energy opens the mines again in norther bc I own a house in tumbler ridge and would love to work close to home again they were a fair company that treated their employees well I hope to work for them again very soon thank you for your time
Pros
good wage good benifits good company to work for
Cons
none at all
Productive place to work
Haul Truck Trainer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, B.C.January 14, 2015
The last year of employment with Walter Energy was very educational. The management in charge at Willow Creek Mine was a good fit after such a devastating loss of employees due to a soft coal market.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
curtailments due to commodities market
Unorganized
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.CDecember 4, 2014
Employment presses was chaotic, unorganized and stressful.

Direction was always unclear.

Unable to fulfill promises of training ie. Promised to be enrolled in a course provided by the company on company time told 4 times I was able to participate then told 4 times unable to participate within one day. Ultimately disappointing.

Management was unorganized. Direction as to who to speak to about certain matters was always unclear and a run around.

Hardest part of the job was communication with management on issues.

Most enjoyable part of the job was establishing relationships with co workers and the ability to work together in times of stress.
Pros
camp, provided lunches, gym, tv room, internet.
Cons
poor cell phone service, no crediability, poor communication skills between management and employees
Shut down
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  tumbler ridge BCNovember 18, 2014
Closed Due to poor market value of Met Coal. Good schedule and decent benefits.
Good people
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCNovember 14, 2014
Good people to work for and with. I enjoyed my time there from beginning to end . There is no better job than in an open pit mine.
Pros
work / people
Cons
dependant on coal pricing .
Fast paced, challenging environment
Warehouse Person (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 12, 2014
During my employment, I enjoyed the fast paced work environment and my co-workers. I appreciated the 6 and 6 shift schedule which allowed for a good work/life balance. The departmental Manager was very knowledgeable and experienced, I consistently learned new skills relevant to heavy Industry Warehousing from him. Under his leadership, the work environment and departmental efficiency improved significantly. Unfortunately due to declining global coal prices, our operation was idled earlier this year, ending the progress our department was experiencing. Should coal prices recover to the extent that Walter Energy would re-start its operation, I would definitely re-apply for a Warehouse position.
Pros
rrsp matching/shift cycle
Cons
job security dependent on coal prices
productive and fun work place with great co-workers
Dozer/ Grader Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 9, 2014
a typical day at the mine was spent separating waste from the coal seams, pushing all material to the shovels and loaders. building and maintaining road ways working bench areas and dumping areas. completing a pre trip inspection and reporting any problems to the shift supervisor.
Pros
work scedual 7&7
would get bbqs every once and a while
Rubber Tire Dozer Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCOctober 17, 2014
Typical day was to move a lot of earth as much as possible. I had learned to run some other equipment like the rubber tire dozer got good tips from other co-workers on how to keep floor of shovel flat and to build berms for drill patterns
an all around great place to work
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCSeptember 15, 2014
learned a lot about the milling process. great experience, great people to work with
very great place to be
Lab Assayer (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCSeptember 12, 2014
All around great place to work!!! Great people!!! A lot of hard work but very rewarding!!