WALTER ENERGY

WALTER ENERGY Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Shut down
Machine operator (Current Employee), tumbler ridge BCNovember 18, 2014
Closed Due to poor market value of Met Coal. Good schedule and decent benefits.
Good people
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCNovember 14, 2014
Pros: work / people
Cons: dependant on coal pricing .
Good people to work for and with. I enjoyed my time there from beginning to end . There is no better job than in an open pit mine.
Fast paced, challenging environment
Warehouse Person (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 12, 2014
Pros: rrsp matching/shift cycle
Cons: job security dependent on coal prices
During my employment, I enjoyed the fast paced work environment and my co-workers. I appreciated the 6 and 6 shift schedule which allowed for a good work/life balance. The departmental Manager was very knowledgeable and experienced, I consistently learned new skills relevant to heavy Industry Warehousing from him. Under his leadership, the work environment – more... and departmental efficiency improved significantly. Unfortunately due to declining global coal prices, our operation was idled earlier this year, ending the progress our department was experiencing. Should coal prices recover to the extent that Walter Energy would re-start its operation, I would definitely re-apply for a Warehouse position. – less
productive and fun work place with great co-workers
Dozer/ Grader Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: work scedual 7&7
a typical day at the mine was spent separating waste from the coal seams, pushing all material to the shovels and loaders. building and maintaining road ways working bench areas and dumping areas. completing a pre trip inspection and reporting any problems to the shift supervisor.
would get bbqs every once and a while
Rubber Tire Dozer Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCOctober 17, 2014
Typical day was to move a lot of earth as much as possible. I had learned to run some other equipment like the rubber tire dozer got good tips from other co-workers on how to keep floor of shovel flat and to build berms for drill patterns
an all around great place to work
Mill Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCSeptember 15, 2014
learned a lot about the milling process. great experience, great people to work with
very great place to be
Lab Assayer (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCSeptember 12, 2014
All around great place to work!!! Great people!!! A lot of hard work but very rewarding!!
a productive mine however they did not pay overtime.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd BCAugust 3, 2014
Pros: they were willing to teach me on all types of equipment
Cons: not paid overtime
A great place to work but sometimes the management was not the greatest and the equipment was very old and worn out.
GREAT COMMUNITY OF WORKERS
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), chetwynd bcJuly 10, 2014
Pros: learning about a new industry
Cons: termination of job
* worked 12 hour shifts - day and graveyard shifts
*had not done this type of work before so was a great learning experience
* learned about coal production and equipment
* working with the crew
different kinda job
Senior Plant Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCMay 23, 2014
Pros: being on the water
great if you like being on the water,its fishing what else can i say.lol.seen tons of wildlife and some of the most beautiful sites on the west coast of canada.
Great People, safe environment, enjoyed my time there
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCMay 7, 2014
Safety Meeting in morning
Safety Goals and awards.
Easy to talk to Management.
Crews got along great.
Haul Truck Operator and 992 Loader Trainee (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge BCApril 28, 2014
I loved working at the Wolverine Mine. The only problem is that 90% of us got laid off one tuesday morning. I found out by a phone call from my sister inlaw. No notice, no severance, just no job to go to.
Good learning experience
Trainer/supervisor (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge BCApril 25, 2014
Challenges were experienced every day. I had learned that coal mining is not an easy task. My management team was very resourceful, when a problem occurred, IT and geology. The people who I worked for, (employees), were an awesome group of people. Hardest part of the job was the weather. -40. The most enjoyable part was making one person smile every – more... day. – less
Great managment
Blaster (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCApril 19, 2014
This company was great to work for, if we needed anything to fix a drill parts would be there the next day. All drills were kept very well maintained. All around this was a great job, and great company to work for.
!@#$%^&*
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCApril 17, 2014
Pros: very family orented community
Cons: job security
very good place to work,but in the long run, (COAL) prices fluctuate to much that makes the job unpredictable thats why 700 employees got layed of.
Good steady work while it lasted
Rock/Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: good work/life ballance, week on week off
drive up the hill, drive down the hill, repeat, repeat, repeat
mostly good co-workers
Poor employee Moral, High equipment damage
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee), Tumbler Ridge BCOctober 16, 2013
Pros: great benifits, great pay
Cons: long hours, poor work atmosphere
Company recently changed hands, constant changes and goal directions make it difficult to see the goal posts.
Coal producing mine-pit, Some friendly staff, Core Values are number driven.
HSE COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCApril 23, 2013
Pros: camp is provided, free meals
Cons: disconnection between alabama hq and northern canadian branches, very isolated, very low worker morale, no company functions
I'd worked at Walter Energy for a year and a half. Recent management changes have caused the work force to become confused to the security of their jobs.
As Sr. HSE Coordinator, I had to ensure the safety of all persons (Workers, Contractors & Visitors) on site were being considered before any work began. Invesitgations for incidents and daily statistic – more... reporting as well as ensuring Mine Rescue training was in place and effective.
Being new to 'mining' I'd learned much about the processess to coal production in a Pit Mine method. Including the industry standards for safety which varied from the normal OH&S guidelines.
Co-workers at the mine were generally friendly and cooperative and always willing to share their knowledge & experience.
Most difficult part of the job would be the disconnection between the Alabama HQ and the North Canadian operations.
Immediate (on-site) mine management was supportive to many safety initiatives and improvements. This was refreshing to see.
The mine is situated in a remote location and aproximately 1 hour drive from the nearest town (1/2 of it on a forestry road).
Recently, there has been a large destabilizing to the 3 mines owned in Northern BC by Walter Energy. This is due to recent reduced market coal prices, a decision to close one of the 3 mines, and new guidelines which seems to be putting production numbers ahead of safety. – less
High production, Goal orientated
Equipment operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCApril 12, 2013
Pros: very flexible, offered camp, payed for training.
Cons: shut down mine i was at due to low coal prices.
They were a good company to work for. People were friendly. They offered fair wages and benefits.
Bosses had good sense of humor and easy to get along with.
Former operator
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee), tumbler ridgeFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: a job
Cons: to many bosses
I worked for walter for a short time the mine was run poorly.
HR woman had a mouth that was of a drunk biker.Like any work place they have there favorites.Pay was a little low for mining.
Lots of work place mishaps to.

They had a high turn over I went to pelly till walter showed up!

March 11, 2013

Walter plays games with union staff...