WALTER ENERGY

WALTER ENERGY Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work,good benefits,wages.shift rotation,good equipment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), ChetwyndMarch 5, 2015
Pros: safe setting, good group to work with
Cons: none to mention
Enjoyed working at Walter Energy,worked as a team,supervision was help full,long days but enjoyed the atmosphere in camp setting.Great food ,nice camp.Would return.
productive and fun workplace
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at the warehouse would be starting off with our safety meetings, we would start to do inspections on loaders and forklift.
I have learned so much from walter energy, for example - shipping/receiving, how to operate loaders and forklift and being trained to be lead hand that had lots of responsibility which I didn't mind, it was the time when the mine shut down so I didn't officially get the title.
My crew was amazing, we were awesome as a team and individually as well. We completed tasks professionally and were considered the best crew out of the two.
it was the best job ever i was their for 7 years and i was their for reclamation at the wolverine site in tumbler ridge i hope they open again
Shovel operator (Current Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: good wage good benifits good company to work for
Cons: none at all
I hope walter energy opens the mines again in norther bc I own a house in tumbler ridge and would love to work close to home again they were a fair company that treated their employees well I hope to work for them again very soon thank you for your time
Productive place to work
Haul Truck Trainer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, B.C.January 14, 2015
Pros: room for advancement
Cons: curtailments due to commodities market
The last year of employment with Walter Energy was very educational. The management in charge at Willow Creek Mine was a good fit after such a devastating loss of employees due to a soft coal market.
Unorganized
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd B.CDecember 4, 2014
Pros: camp, provided lunches, gym, tv room, internet.
Cons: poor cell phone service, no crediability, poor communication skills between management and employees
Employment presses was chaotic, unorganized and stressful.

Direction was always unclear.

Unable to fulfill promises of training ie. Promised to be enrolled in a course provided by the company on company time told 4 times I was able to participate then told 4 times unable to participate within one day. Ultimately disappointing.

Management was unorganized. Direction as to who to speak to about certain matters was always unclear and a run around.

Hardest part of the job was communication with management on issues.

Most enjoyable part of the job was establishing relationships with co workers and the ability to work together in times of stress.
Shut down
Machine operator (Current Employee), tumbler ridge BCNovember 18, 2014
Closed Due to poor market value of Met Coal. Good schedule and decent benefits.
Good people
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCNovember 14, 2014
Pros: work / people
Cons: dependant on coal pricing .
Good people to work for and with. I enjoyed my time there from beginning to end . There is no better job than in an open pit mine.
Fast paced, challenging environment
Warehouse Person (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 12, 2014
Pros: rrsp matching/shift cycle
Cons: job security dependent on coal prices
During my employment, I enjoyed the fast paced work environment and my co-workers. I appreciated the 6 and 6 shift schedule which allowed for a good work/life balance. The departmental Manager was very knowledgeable and experienced, I consistently learned new skills relevant to heavy Industry Warehousing from him. Under his leadership, the work environment and departmental efficiency improved significantly. Unfortunately due to declining global coal prices, our operation was idled earlier this year, ending the progress our department was experiencing. Should coal prices recover to the extent that Walter Energy would re-start its operation, I would definitely re-apply for a Warehouse position.
productive and fun work place with great co-workers
Dozer/ Grader Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: work scedual 7&7
a typical day at the mine was spent separating waste from the coal seams, pushing all material to the shovels and loaders. building and maintaining road ways working bench areas and dumping areas. completing a pre trip inspection and reporting any problems to the shift supervisor.
would get bbqs every once and a while
Rubber Tire Dozer Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCOctober 17, 2014
Typical day was to move a lot of earth as much as possible. I had learned to run some other equipment like the rubber tire dozer got good tips from other co-workers on how to keep floor of shovel flat and to build berms for drill patterns
an all around great place to work
Mill Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCSeptember 15, 2014
learned a lot about the milling process. great experience, great people to work with
very great place to be
Lab Assayer (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCSeptember 12, 2014
All around great place to work!!! Great people!!! A lot of hard work but very rewarding!!
a productive mine however they did not pay overtime.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd BCAugust 3, 2014
Pros: they were willing to teach me on all types of equipment
Cons: not paid overtime
A great place to work but sometimes the management was not the greatest and the equipment was very old and worn out.
GREAT COMMUNITY OF WORKERS
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), chetwynd bcJuly 10, 2014
Pros: learning about a new industry
Cons: termination of job
* worked 12 hour shifts - day and graveyard shifts
*had not done this type of work before so was a great learning experience
* learned about coal production and equipment
* working with the crew
different kinda job
Senior Plant Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCMay 23, 2014
Pros: being on the water
great if you like being on the water,its fishing what else can i say.lol.seen tons of wildlife and some of the most beautiful sites on the west coast of canada.
Great People, safe environment, enjoyed my time there
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCMay 7, 2014
Safety Meeting in morning
Safety Goals and awards.
Easy to talk to Management.
Crews got along great.
Haul Truck Operator and 992 Loader Trainee (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge BCApril 28, 2014
I loved working at the Wolverine Mine. The only problem is that 90% of us got laid off one tuesday morning. I found out by a phone call from my sister inlaw. No notice, no severance, just no job to go to.
Good learning experience
Trainer/supervisor (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge BCApril 25, 2014
Challenges were experienced every day. I had learned that coal mining is not an easy task. My management team was very resourceful, when a problem occurred, IT and geology. The people who I worked for, (employees), were an awesome group of people. Hardest part of the job was the weather. -40. The most enjoyable part was making one person smile every day.
Great managment
Blaster (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCApril 19, 2014
This company was great to work for, if we needed anything to fix a drill parts would be there the next day. All drills were kept very well maintained. All around this was a great job, and great company to work for.
!@#$%^&*
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCApril 17, 2014
Pros: very family orented community
Cons: job security
very good place to work,but in the long run, (COAL) prices fluctuate to much that makes the job unpredictable thats why 700 employees got layed of.