WALTER ENERGY Employee Reviews

great place with great people
Equipment operator/ Heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC21 September 2016
I loved my time working at wolverine mine. too bad it shut down otherwise I would still be there. I was lucky enough to work there long enough to get a wealth of experience and do what I love. I never thought I would achieve my red seal in hd mechanics or operate the equipment I did. Most places like in logging make you work 20 years just to get out of general labour . The pay was great. the job was great. I cant say enough good things about it.
Pros
great pay
Cons
good , friendly place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC5 September 2016
a very good place to work, management easy to talk to always chances to advance and gain more experience friendly place coworkers easy to talk to, I enjoyed working
small mine who promoted job diversification
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.C.29 November 2015
great work environment, which relyed on workers willingness to learn the operations of other pieces of equipment to diversify the team by offering use hours to train on other pieces of equipment and opertunities to come in for overtime on off shift to help out with production on the other crews.
Pros
2 weeks in 2 weeks out
Cons
world coal prices forced company to susspend operations
Job Security Dependant on Market
Pit Service/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC14 November 2015
With coal prices plummeting from the start there was no job security. Laid off with half hours notice from company. Overall employment was great, ending of employment for all 700 of us worker was completely unacceptable, we are still waiting on severance and in-leiu of notice settlement. Its been 2 years since we were terminated without notice.
Pros
7 days off in a row
Cons
Easily exhausted from 7 days of 12 hour shifts.
It wasn't a good experience
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC15 March 2016
Long shifts and physically exhausting work. Dangerous working conditions and was paid less than the plant laborers. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone.
Wages and benefits were excellent
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC9 August 2015
The company provided new equipment which was a lot more healthier than other companies I have worked for. The wages and benefits were excellent but the job security was not very good as coal prices go up and down. The company provided suitable vacation time and was lenient of family days. I enjoyed working with my co-workers very much. And the leadership in the company was very good in regards to the supervisors.
Pros
Wages and benefits were excellent
Cons
Not very stable job
Really enjoyed the work place area. Was a great work experience.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC4 September 2015
working in a coal mine was a very good work experience for me. I learned a lot of things to work with. Working with others was like making a family. the hardest part of the job was working alone as it was a 2 person job.
Pros
Was nice to have a bus to transport us to work
Cons
hourly workers would get raises and salary would'nt
Lots of great training and respect for their employees
Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Northern B.C7 July 2015
A typical day would be a 12 hour day. The start of my shift would inquirer me to ensure proper fluid levels are maintain in the fleet. Working with the maintenance planner to perform preventive maintenance on the mining equipment based on a 500 hour service interval. I learned basic diagnostic and mechanical skills. Management was helpful and respectful of their employees. My co-workers were a team player and would make the work environment pleasurable. The hard part of my job would be working away from home and the extreme weather conditions. What made my job enjoyable was the wide variety of equipment to learn about and work on.
Pros
Flexible in over time.
Cons
Being far away from home
productive and fun workplace
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC2 March 2015
A typical day at the warehouse would be starting off with our safety meetings, we would start to do inspections on loaders and forklift.
I have learned so much from walter energy, for example - shipping/receiving, how to operate loaders and forklift and being trained to be lead hand that had lots of responsibility which I didn't mind, it was the time when the mine shut down so I didn't officially get the title.
My crew was amazing, we were awesome as a team and individually as well. We completed tasks professionally and were considered the best crew out of the two.
it was the best job ever i was their for 7 years and i was their for reclamation at the wolverine site in tumbler ridge i hope they open again
Shovel operator (Current Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC14 January 2015
I hope walter energy opens the mines again in norther bc I own a house in tumbler ridge and would love to work close to home again they were a fair company that treated their employees well I hope to work for them again very soon thank you for your time
Pros
good wage good benifits good company to work for
Cons
none at all
Unorganized
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.C4 December 2014
Employment presses was chaotic, unorganized and stressful.

Direction was always unclear.

Unable to fulfill promises of training ie. Promised to be enrolled in a course provided by the company on company time told 4 times I was able to participate then told 4 times unable to participate within one day. Ultimately disappointing.

Management was unorganized. Direction as to who to speak to about certain matters was always unclear and a run around.

Hardest part of the job was communication with management on issues.

Most enjoyable part of the job was establishing relationships with co workers and the ability to work together in times of stress.
Pros
camp, provided lunches, gym, TV room, Internet.
Cons
poor cell phone service, no crediability, poor communication skills between management and employees
Fast paced, challenging environment
Warehouse Person (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC12 November 2014
During my employment, I enjoyed the fast paced work environment and my co-workers. I appreciated the 6 and 6 shift schedule which allowed for a good work/life balance. The departmental Manager was very knowledgeable and experienced, I consistently learned new skills relevant to heavy Industry Warehousing from him. Under his leadership, the work environment and departmental efficiency improved significantly. Unfortunately due to declining global coal prices, our operation was idled earlier this year, ending the progress our department was experiencing. Should coal prices recover to the extent that Walter Energy would re-start its operation, I would definitely re-apply for a Warehouse position.
Pros
RRSP matching/Shift Cycle
Cons
job security dependent on coal prices
Good learning experience
Trainer/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge BC25 April 2014
Challenges were experienced every day. I had learned that coal mining is not an easy task. My management team was very resourceful, when a problem occurred, IT and geology. The people who I worked for, (employees), were an awesome group of people. Hardest part of the job was the weather. -40. The most enjoyable part was making one person smile every day.
productive and fun work place with great co-workers
Dozer/ Grader Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC9 November 2014
a typical day at the mine was spent separating waste from the coal seams, pushing all material to the shovels and loaders. building and maintaining road ways working bench areas and dumping areas. completing a pre trip inspection and reporting any problems to the shift supervisor.
Pros
work scedual 7&7
It was a great job!!
Steam truck operator and Lube Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC28 July 2015
I really enjoyed mining. It was good work good money and great people to have in a work place. Although at times the planners did mess up it was really good!!
Pros
company treated us well!!
Cons
They closed down with no notice.
it was a good place to work.
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC1 July 2015
hard working staff , being saftey consious. the camp could have been a little better. pretty good equipment. chances to learn other equipment and room for advancement. great teamwork.
Pros
lots of equipment
Cons
camp could have been in better shape
Great place to work,good benefits,wages.shift rotation,good equipment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd5 March 2015
Enjoyed working at Walter Energy,worked as a team,supervision was help full,long days but enjoyed the atmosphere in camp setting.Great food ,nice camp.Would return.
Pros
Safe setting, good group to work with
Cons
None to mention
Productive place to work
Haul Truck Trainer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, B.C.14 January 2015
The last year of employment with Walter Energy was very educational. The management in charge at Willow Creek Mine was a good fit after such a devastating loss of employees due to a soft coal market.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Curtailments due to commodities market
Former operator
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  tumbler ridge26 February 2013
I worked for walter for a short time the mine was run poorly.
HR woman had a mouth that was of a drunk biker.Like any work place they have there favorites.Pay was a little low for mining.
Lots of work place mishaps to.

They had a high turn over I went to pelly till walter showed up!
Pros
a job
Cons
to many bosses
would get bbqs every once and a while
Rubber Tire Dozer Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC17 October 2014
Typical day was to move a lot of earth as much as possible. I had learned to run some other equipment like the rubber tire dozer got good tips from other co-workers on how to keep floor of shovel flat and to build berms for drill patterns

4.3