Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,721 reviews matching the search
Good work staff, poor environment/workers/pay
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 February 2017
Fast paced environment with up to 200 prescriptions per day, stressful due to not enough staffing/scheduling issues, not enough open communication - events/situations to be discussed or explained properly.
Pros
Multi - cultured team members with different work ethics and backgrounds
Cons
Excessive work/poor wokr place for hourly wage
Love it
Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC8 January 2017
I unload the trucks which are 1500-2500 hundred pieces, Or I sort the items that come off the trucks onto skids. After I go stock the items on the skids. At 7pm there are picks that drop I have to go arounds picking them then I go work them. After all the stock is worked I have to bin all the stuff that couldn't go out.
Pros
people are amazing, job isn't that bad
Cons
store mgr and some mgrs are rude
great coworkers
Deparetment Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 January 2017
Walmart is a fast past environment. Learning quickly and able to adjust to changes in environment and job tasks are key. I was able to advance quickly in this environment. Multiple managers make it hard to have a concrete long term goal however quick short term goals that are able to make positive change happened often.
Pros
helpful coworkers
Cons
multiple managers
Not worth it
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 November 2016
The job isn't worth the wage they pay. They we're cutting job left and right to add them to other job description thus making it feel like you had two job yet only one and still paid minimum wage. The manager WILL write you up for the slight miss step and don't you dare take a sick day they'll write you up regardless that you are sick or not. You don't get benifits and have to fight to get hours.

The only enjoyable part of the job I had was I was able to talk to a lot of people and had team to work with otherwise the job gets repetitive real quick
Pros
Team, Social
Cons
You work with a great crowd!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS15 December 2016
It is overall a fantastic place to work, great people around you. There is one assistant manager is pretty nasty to the associates, tries to give disciplinary action even when it isnt called for, they switch schedules around sometimes without letting you know. the rest of the managers and coworkers and great!
Pros
good hours
Cons
dont get paid for your lunch breaks
Great experience
Central Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 January 2017
Has a great honor and pleasure to learn from and work for a well-organized team. I learnt lots of technical skills and communication techniques. The experience in Walmart changes my impression and understanding of retail industry, expands my horizon and teaches me how to work in a team of people with different background. I enjoyed my time there.
good
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON30 January 2017
it was fair , overall a positive working experience,
positive work environment, friendly staff
hours really sucked for part time people , management would always hire too many people during the busy seasons and then there would be too many employees in each department resulting in few shifts for each individual.
Pros
Most things
Cons
cleanliness in the backrooms
Toxic Work Environment
Store Standards (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 November 2016
At Walmart there are hard working employees and people that take great pride in doing a great job and going above and beyond for the customers.

Unfortunately all of their hard work goes to waste when you have have poor management. No rules are enforced, so when other employees are plainly not doing their job, the work load gets forced upon the hard working.

Plain and simple, this is not an employer that values it's employees. it does not value hard work, at the end of the day they do not care about you even if you are trying to make the store better.

Workers beware you're in for poor treatment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management, Hard work is punished rather than rewarded.
Potential For Greatness
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NS12 December 2016
All the tools are there for this to be a successful business with happy employees.

There is a potential for greatness that is not being explored.

There could be many good aspects to working here.
Pros
My position is important and understaffed so I have job security.
Cons
Low wages; underappreciated; lack of support from management; schedules are not family friendly.
Was great in the begining
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 February 2017
When I was hired I had an amazing store manager and an amazing district manager.
District manager got married and moved. new district manager came in and power went to her head and she made a lot of changes that caused a lot of people to quit.
Pros
free photography session for family every year
Cons
getting puked on by babies and toddlers during photo sessions
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2017
There's no such a typical day at this job. Everyday could be different. It could not-so-busy or very busy.

My colleagues are fun to work with especially if you get to know what it's like to work with them.

The only downside would be, the management wants you to have a very flexible availability but they won't guarantee you the part time hours (20-27 hours).
Walmart
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbonear, NL22 November 2016
my typical day at work would involve joyful dedicated and easy to work will all individuals. I am very energetic and like to complete all tasks at the end of my day. I am a very well organized person work and at home, that makes my day much easier. I like to see people with smiles on their faces everyday and for them to be able to smile back at me, that gives me confidence in myself knowing that I done right.
Productive but poor salary increase
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 November 2016
There's a lot of work, so getting bored is definitely not in the picture. you'll learn a lot at first but work we'll be just repetitive after a few months. Some co-workers are hardworking at first then becomes lazy when the work doesn't fit the salary. Management is fair. The most enjoyable is break times of course.
Pros
free food sometimes
Cons
unfair evaluation
Walmart, is what it is.
2nd Instock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 November 2016
Working for the epitome of 'massive retail conglomerate' you definitely get what you would expect. A very large company, where you can virtually disappear, not knowing the majority of your co-workers and even some managers. In the 2nd Instock crew much is expected of you, and though its constant manual labor, its simple, and if you have a good crew around you it can be a lot of fun and a great environment.
Pros
low effort, low expectations
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Productive and Safe Work Environment
Walmart Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2016
Typically I would come in and stock shelves if I have an early shift, afterwards I would swap handling of cash register with various people. My manager was very helpful with everything and I learned to communicate with people, however difficult a lot better. The hardest part of the job was probably the difficult hours, but the friends I became with my co-workers was the best part.
Good job for anyone especially students or first time jobs
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 November 2016
Been working with Walmart for 3 years. I find the job good and fun to work with others. Job is not hard easy to work the tasks being asked. Friendly environment. Easy to take time off when needed. Wage is pretty good with raises every year. Also can get a profit share depending on sales.
Pros
Friendly working environment, can usually get any time off requests
Cons
Dont always get profit share
A very interesting workplace =)
Store Standard Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB31 October 2016
There is always plenty to do and when everyone does their share, things get done smoothly. Some of the things there can be tough but don't let the horror stories get to ya, Walmart Canada overall is a good place for a starting job. Just be warned that sometimes you will have to deal with rude customers or worst co-workers that don't do their share of work.
Pros
Good place to learn Retail
Cons
Hours can interfere with things like university
Good place for work experience and nothing more.
Produce associate and Seasonal associate. (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON31 October 2016
Everyday at Wal-Mart is the same, If you are an Extrovert who likes fun and a social workplace you will not enjoy this place. People who work here are gloomy, grumpy and not friendly. The management team is a joke, they are unqualified and unfit to lead any sort of team. The work itself is manageable but having to deal with the managers and raging customers is unacceptable. It's ok If you're a collage or uni student who wants to make a little money during summer, I wouldn't suggest staying there longer than 3 months.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management Team, Customers, Overall environment
Good opportunity, bad management/fellow employees
Promotions Agent for Advantage Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2016
This company was very absent in the happenings of the day to day job. Some insane woman who worked at Wal-Mart picked a fight with me over nothing and her gang of old crackheads harassed me while i was working in the store. My manager heard about this and fired me, as if anything about it was my fault. Incompetent management, poor trust between fellow employees. Other employees other than me wouldn't follow safety procedure, would leave early, etc. I felt like I was the only person doing a good job in the entire company. Poor.
Pros
Changing environment/products, independance
Cons
Absent management with poor decision making, poor work ethic from fellow employees
Not worth your time and efforts
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
I was employed for over 4 years at this location. You do not get any addvancement unless you pucker up management's butt! The management wants you to go by WalMarts rules yet they bend them so bad for some employees and not for others. Jobs are suppose to be posted and yet all of them are not. The ones that are not posted for employees to all have a chance are handed to the kiss butt!
The store is dirty and a mess! You go down any given aisle and there is a mess!
The employees that put forth an effort and work their butts off do not get any recognition at all!
Would never work for this so called " we are family" ever again!
Pros
kiss butt and you will get far
Cons
won't get far, treated like dirt