Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,747 reviews matching the search
Terrible
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2015
The job was ok I like hard work but the work environment is toxic. The management is bad working nights and they kept people on who couldn't handle the job. One of my coworkers on my team was caught sleeping over 3 times and was never fired.

The other issue was repairs. When I was hired we were all a new team and the equipment had been broken and misused by previous workers. Because the previous staff had messed around with the electrical and mechanical components of the floor cleaning equipment the warranty was voided and management would not pay to fix things. It was very frustrating to see one piece of equipment break down and not have it fixed so we could do our jobs.

I had to mop the store by hand for about a month this could have lead to injury because of the sheer size of the store.
Pros
nice co workers
First Job experience.
CASHEIR (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCNovember 25, 2015
I personally didn't have the greatest experience working at Wal-mart. I found that the management wasn't at all how they make themselves out be during the orientation. Although it wasn't always terrible, the employees are very nice, the friends I made at this job are great people, we always made the day worth while. The beginning pay wasn't all that great. I'm glad for this job because I learned how to communicate with other people a lot better, it taught me to be less shy. The hardest part of this job was having to deal with rude customers, or angry customers.
Pros
Free food (occasionally)
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, bad management
Productive work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Sign in at front desk, open procedures, intercept customers about phones. Management is decent, District Manager was phenomenal. Learned sales targets to a degree, even though targets were set for some areas being way too high. Would recommend employment to other sale target oriented job seekers.
Pros
Incentives to meet sales goals
Cons
Long hours on feet, sales goals were out of reach for demographic areas
The bad and the good
Day Stocker/Inventory Control Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 5, 2015
The pay at the time was not much to raise a family on, and the advancement at the company was not easily accomplished. Great place for students, flexible hours and very accommodating management.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Low pay.
entry level employment
midnight inventory stock clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 20, 2015
not much to say about working at walmart, it was a short term commitment. i was there about 9 months on a midnight crew, and was part of a restructuring plan to convert a department store into a super store/ grocery store, management is upbeat and knowledgable of most aspects of the job, walmart runs a transparent company which allows all employees to have an insight in the future of their careers. typical work night stocking shelves and signing tunes off the store radio, not much to learn really open boxes take out product and place on shelves in locations with the proper displays above, most enjoyable part of the job, discount on cellular service with the providers they carried, co-workers were mostly kind. hardest part of the job was the low wages.
Pros
indoor steady work
Cons
low wages and mostly part time
Enjoyable experience with fulfilling work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABMarch 12, 2016
I loved working at WalMart, they treated me with respect and kindness. My co-workers also loved working there.

Typically I would come into work and immediately start up my register. I would stand there and check customers purchases through when ready. If needed I would work the floors and help with stock.
Management was great. There was only one coworker that I did not connect with but they treated me like any other employee.
The hardest part for me would be standing for long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be communicating with the customers. My favorite part was interacting with them and helping them get through quickly and smoothly.
Pros
Free food in break room occaisionally.
Cons
Standing for long periods of time.
Walmart is a world class retailer
operations manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 12, 2015
Walmart is a progressive organization that continually changes to reflect the needs and desires of the local retail market. Working at Walmart had its challenges in dealing with a wild range of different cultures and geographic areas, and ensuring that the client needs were fulfilled.

It is aggressive in cost cutting, and the bottom line mentality is promoted at every level, Each associate is response for ensuring the optimal customer experience, At times work conditions were hard with dead lines, but the team and personal relationships made up the negative aspects of the firm.
Fast paced, Goal oriented, Growth and development
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONMay 21, 2015
Walmart has been a great place to work in. Fast paced, multi-tasking and quick decision making moments were extremely challenging yet rewarding. Have managed to meet sales and targets and enhamce customer service through strong leadership and focusing on company's goals. I have grown and learnt a lot through the experience I gained from Walmart and in the process have come across hundreds of people who have made a great impact on my professional and personal life. Co-workers have been great team players and transparent. Some days would be stressful and long but everyone managed to keep inspiring one another.
Pros
Diversified, Benefits, Goal oriented, Challenging, team players.
Cons
fun people but bad management
Cashier/customer service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 16, 2016
The people i work with are great. its just management that is terrible and there is no advancement opportunities. Low paying. They do a good job of training there new people though. a typical day at Walmart would be talking too some friends but generally just doing your job.
Pros
great people work here. some free lunches
Cons
low paying bad management
Productive workplace with different people and cultures.
Overnight Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 19, 2015
Day to day work in Walmart is very challenging, as for me this is a new working environment but I could say that I am learning and having new experiences in terms of dealing with different people and cultures. With regard to the management as shown above I rated them as five(5) stars, equality with different races and supervision of associates is great. In connection with the co-workers, I can easily get along with them, it is innate to Filipinos to be hospitable. The hardest part of the job for me at first are the sleepless nights and days for a month. The most enjoyable part of the job is lifting heavy stuffs and speaking with different people with different cultures as you are learning new information about them and their country.
Pros
Free lunch during paydays and profit sharing
Not for everyone
Cashier/ Courtesy Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 13, 2015
From what I've heard from my fellow coworkers that worked at walmart for 20+ years, the benefits of the job are great. Personally, it was not for me. Very boring, extremely long shifts and little to no interaction with your coworkers. They pay above minimum wage which is good.
Pros
Higher Pay
Cons
Long and redundant hours at your till
Wal Mart
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABJuly 9, 2015
Keeping the departments clean and organized. working with other department heads and managers to keep everything in order. Cash handling.

Management it generally very good.

coworkers are generally very good.

Dealing with the public is the hardest part of the job as well as working nights.

The most enjoyable part is also dealing and meeting new people.
Pros
People
Cons
Night shift and long hours with out compensation
Decent work place.
Receiver / Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCAugust 6, 2015
Worked in various departments around store stocking shelves ( Dairy, fresh/ frozen, eggs, produce, furniture, Health and Beauty, pets, seasonal).
Worked in receiving unloading trucks and doing temp checks as the pallets come off the truck.
Cleaning back dairy coolers and milk racks with degreasers, hot water and sanitizers).
Changing featured items every other day, pricing, use of telxon scanner and printer.
Pros
Decent work, benefits, pay
Cons
Working overnights.
Over all a good company. Different form store to store management
Store Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BCFebruary 17, 2016
People are really good. Lots of change and new programs all the time. Very Busy never board.

Shift work even for management. Very little work life balance. Hard to get time off for personal events.
Pros
good people, always learning new things.
Cons
little work life balance. Terrible schedule
Difficult Managers but Regular Hours
In-stock/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 13, 2015
I had regular full time hours for my entire 2.5 years there. I received benefits after 6 months of work, and had no issues with them afterwards. It is a manual job and is hard. You are tired and sore at the end of the day. The managers are often unqualified for their jobs, leading to mismanagement of employees and bad treatment of employees. Overtime is rare. Most of the work is independent, occasionally you will share a department with other employees and all work together to stock it. Co-workers can be helpful and supportive, though they are given little leeway by management to help other employees out.Gossip can be fairly rampant at times due to it being a small crew that works with each other consistently. Overall, a regular-houred job that takes hard work but is predictable and easy.
it started off nice but the longer i stayed and worked there the worse it got
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 17, 2015
they treat you like your a machine, one week your working 40 hours the next your working 20 or less and sometimes your working for 2 to 3 weeks on
Benefits
Cons
long hours, alot of runing around and weird hours or not insufficient hours worked
nice place to work
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
If I am opening (6:30 am) customer service manager, get the podium keys ; podium, and customer service money from accounting office; and print the schedule. Make sure floating money is the right amount. If the amount is less or more, let the accountant knows. Get the news papers and the flowers. Open every cash registers at a time, and get them changes if one needs.
Respond to cashier request, and line management.
What I learned from this position is the power of smile. It does not cost anything, but it makes a big difference.
I along with my co-worker and we help each other. The hardest part of the job is reaching Walmart rewards master card application daily goal, Event hough, each cashier promotes the master card to each customer, hard to hear the yes I would like to apply answer from customers.Management would be disappointed when we don't reach the daily goat. The enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people on daily basis and helping them
Pros
free daily coffee and tea
Cons
not getting enough hours
Poor work/life balance, unrealistic expectations, unsafe environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 24, 2015
This is a company that rarely makes good on their word, even if you have something in writing. I have seen hard working co-workers (Assistant Managers) lose their jobs over petty politics, standing up for what was right, and clueless Store Managers that take credit for the ASM's work.

Should you ever accept a position as an overnight ASM, be prepared to be stuck on this shift for far longer than promised. It is a thankless position that will affect your health and social life. Walmart cares not about either of these things.

As a daytime Assistant Manager, your work/life balance will nearly be non-existent. Walmart takes full advantage of salaried members of management, and makes them put in extra hours (with no compensation) consistently. Many of the Store Managers will even make you feel bad (and treat you as an outcast) for leaving on time. Get ready to close until midnight and have to open the store the next day by 6:30am, leaving you little time to sleep and be in a good mental state to work safely. At the store level, labour standards are often ignored by the Store Manager. Safety standards are often ignored as well. It is rare that any backroom at Walmart is skid free and safe for the associates. I'm surprised the Ministry of Labour hasn't fined or shut down more stores by now.

The People Manager division has little to no interest in helping the associates. They are merely a safety net in covering Walmart's interests. It's no wonder a union has long been talked about by the associates. Speaking of which, some of Walmart's hardest work is in diminishing any opportunity
  more... of a union. In fact, associates are generally terminated at the mere mention of the word "union". There is no free speech here.

Like any place, you get a mix of good and bad. In my 15 years of retail, I can tell you that I have never experienced more disgusting treatment than I did with Walmart, as an Assistant Manager. My experience as an hourly associate was more pleasant; hence why I didn't give them the lowest of ratings. I also had the privilege of working with some great people.

I urge you to really consider what you're getting into when considering this company. Job security is not a thing and neither is compassion for your well being. They continue to cut wage budgets and put all the work on the Assistant Managers laps. What a terrible place to give your all to, with very little reward.
Pros
Busy environment, some great hard working people
Cons
Extra hours worked with no compensation, disregard for safety and well-being, poor communication
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate - Bakery/Produce (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Working at Walmart was a great experience. The staff is very hard working and overall and good team spirit. I learned that hard work pays off in a team environment, it is self satisfying and when your teams is part of this, you can't get better. The hardest part of the job was that the schedules tend to change but overall, I think management worked with each of us to ensure a balance was achieved with respect to getting the job done but also a respect for us as individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had a respect for one another which really created a happy work environment. It was nice to go to work each day.
Pros
respect for employees, lunch and beak facilities
Very Productive Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day working at Walmart consists of a constant flow of customers and clean up. It is a naturally busy environment but the co-workers that are on your team are always there working side by side with you. The management team is split up into their own departments which makes it easier to understand who to go to when you need something done, or have something specific to talk about. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the work load on busy days if we are low on associates, but is easy to catch up once the crowd slows. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with all types of people; associates, managers and customers. I have learned a lot working in retail, I have been able to learn how to work in a quick paced environment, how to handle money and cash registers, and how to properly stock product in a proper manner.
Pros
Dress down days/ Free lunches
Cons
Long, busy hours