Walmart

Walmart Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly atmosphere, Diverse schedule, Great community involvement
Cashier (Former Employee), St. Catharines, OntarioMarch 12, 2015
My experience working for Walmart was great, I went in not expecting to enjoy my job, and I actually learned that I did like it. I was made to feel welcome by other coworkers, management was always there to help if you had a question, or concern.. The hardest part of the job for me was dealing with diffucult customers at times, then I learned to bring their attention to the managers and they would always take care of it for us. I enjoyed the job because it was always organized, the schedule was always posted with a lot of notice, we were able to take people's shifts if they needed a day off, and vice versa, and last but not least, the customers were great, and the coworkers were as well.
Fast Paced
Cashier (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 11, 2015
I really enjoyed being a cashier with this company. I would definitely go back to working for them. great work environment.
Was great to be able to advance in areas of the store`
Cashier/Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Ajax, ONMarch 11, 2015
Pros: if you worked hard/efficient, you were able to advance
Cons: unavailable training in certain areas of the store
A typical day at work would consist of coming in early, picking up items off the floor in department, grabbing your carts to put items back onto the shelves, etc. Going to cash office to pick up your cash for the till and counting at beginning and end of shift. Making sure your area you work in is clean, safe and tidy at all times.
Greeting customers and helping in any way possible so they leave our store with satisfaction and with a smile.

I learned that you have to apply yourself if you want to get anywhere, be flexible with your time as well as serving in other areas of the store. You learn so much and if anyone is not available, it leave that position open to you to become better in what you do for others and for yourself.

Management was available upon request and believed in the "Open Door" policy. The morning reports were given by Management to allow the employees understand where we were at for Sales and Standings and upcoming events.

Co-workers were great to work with, very approachable and made my work day fun. It was great to earn their respect in taking the Customer Service Manager's position and to train other cashiers when needed.

The hardest part of the job was that the training in certain departments was never available which then made it harder to accomplish a good report for that department and/or make yourself shine for the company.
Those who worked hard didn't get the recognition they deserved but those who didn't work as hard, did get recognition. Never understood that policy.........
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 11, 2015
Pros: learning oppertunity
Cons: sometimes late working hours
A typical day at pharmacy is busy with patients dropping-off prescriptions, enter all the information into Kroll system, process it and fill the prescriptions.
I got to learn the pharmacy workflow and able to contribute to all the daily activities at the pharmacy.
Busy and source of learning, fun to work in fast paced environment
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee), Brampton, OntarioMarch 10, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: no work - life balance
Typical Day At Work:

Pharmacy Rx filing, Rx drop off and pick up, Dispensing and counselling of medication accurately, Receiving Order, Checking accuracy of receiving order, Third Party Billing issues

What you learned:

Best customer service, Listening skill very important to solve problem, so stay calm and do the right thing after listening the need of patient or in staff, and then help them out as allowed by rules and regulations with sympathy and empathy and by keeping respect for the individual
Work fast with accuracy and perfection

Hardest or enjoyable part of the job:

I never felt anything hard, always was eager to face questions and solve them. I am used to work in busy environment and now, after working in such a big company, my confidence has gone much higher.
customer service
Customer service Manager (Former Employee), whitby onMarch 9, 2015
STRESS, I liked working for walmart when i started the staff was friendly and management knew my name however in the 3 years i worked there my store location went "super" after this the store culture changed and it was harder to get assistance if needed, the store became understaffed and there were never enough cashiers the customers lost the connection with the store and were irritated that they had to wait what seemed like forever to cash out. this caused unnecessary stress on the staff and the customers. i like the store and the prices but even i am getting to the point where i try to spend my money in other places
great part time job
Accounting Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: work around my schedule
Cons: co workers with no work ethics
great part time job and they work around my schedule, my manager is great and supportive,

it is hard working with people that dont have the motivation to work
Lack of challenge
Cashier (Former Employee), Port PerryMarch 8, 2015
Pros: stable
Cons: lack of challenge
Dealt with customers
Dealt with cash, credit and debit transactions
Management was fairly good
Coworkers were mediocre at best
Not many challenge aspects of the job
Most enjoyable part was conversations with customers
My interpersonal skills and communication skills developed quite a bit with the on job experience. It was also my first job working with cash and being in a sales environment. I felt I got all I could from the job before I decided I needed to leave to further my skill set.
i worked at a schoold canteen, delivered nespapers for Fort McMurray Today, cashier at Walmart in Fort McMurray
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaMarch 7, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: short hours
I worked during day till eveinings. I learned how to work independently, how to increase confidence on working alone. I learned the way for interacting with customers. The managers were very nice and kind to me as I also treated them the same way as they did. The hardest part of the job was to remember everything and finish it either on time or do it as quicker as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was the way I treated different other employees and my supervisor also appreciated me for treating others well.
very fast passing job with wonderful people to work with.
Bakery/Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Bracebridge, ONMarch 7, 2015
Pros: friendly people
Cons: poor managment
During my time working at Walmart I have picked up on many skills such as organization with stalking shelves on the floor and in the freezer. Time management, by making sure all the bread is baked in the morning before the store opens and also making sure my tasks are done before I leave to go home. Customer service, by answering the phone to take bread or cake orders, also assisting any customers out on the floor. I also learned about Leadership by training any new employees and making sure everything is done before everyone goes home for the day. I have enjoyed working at Walmart because I have met allot of friendly people however I felt that I was pushed more to be the Manager of my department and it was very stressful but I learned quickly how to handle it to make it work out in the end.
Do not stand by their employees
Photographer (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 6, 2015
Pros: got to do what i liked
Cons: horrible to employees
Reason for leaving was they were going to fire me for needing surgery and that I would need 6 weeks off. No breaks and bathroom breaks were frowned upon. I didn't like being the only one there.
Productive and fun workplace
Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 6, 2015
A typical day at work was always interesting. I learned that people do buy a lot of interesting items. Management is polite, understanding, and willing to help in most ways. My coworkers were always a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job for me was trying to get people to sign up for Walmart Mastercards.
A demanding fast paced enviroment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Mumford Road HalifaxMarch 6, 2015
I was an Assistant Manager responsible for the overnight team. I was responsible for ensuring the delivery trucks were processed and brought to the floor to be worked to the counters. I was accountable for merchandising decisions and had to ensure that the team had the store ready to open in the mornings. I was responsible for delegation of work, schedules and e-valuations. I ensured that the staff had all proper training and did all my own hiring.
Good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), TruroMarch 6, 2015
Pros: cooperative staff and management
Cons: sometimes starting at 5
Lots of learning experience with people working with different backgrounds. All the management team and coworkers are very helpful and hard working. I wish everyone well.
A very amazing company
Night Crew Stocker (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 6, 2015
Pros: surprise birthday celebrations; 3 times break
Cons: graveyard shift
I was able to gain so much from working at Walmart. I was able to communicate and check inventory well. I was also able to gain experience and realize how it feels like in this field especially in graveyard shift. Many of my co-workers are fun to work with due to the fact that there aren't many of us that works in graveyard all we believe in that if we work better as team by encouraging each other, we'll for sure finish each tasks.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 5, 2015
Nothing special, good work place, good managers. Great community.
I learned a lot of things WHIMS, what it is and what to do with it.
Managers of Walmart were perfect leaders, they can lead people and they manage most of the things very well.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 4, 2015
Benefits, schedule, work hours, management - everything is good.

Hardest part at job is price check for customers followed by line-ups.

Improved my customer service skills, cash -handling skills.
Good management with flexible hours
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: breaks, hours
Cons: busy store, stubborn customers
Great area to work, good hours and breaks. But the Store is often very busy. Which can be tiring, but can also make time pass by faster.
Very bad place to work
asscociate (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 4, 2015
Pros: free "tap water" coffee in the lounge
Cons: patronage, favouritism, unknowlegable management, low pay, non flexable hours, high turn over rate
I've been with Walmart for 4 years and hate every day I work. It has a feel very much like a high school. There is 80% patronage and favouritism. Most jobs are never posted and management are always new and changing. Most managers know almost nothing about retail let alone your job.

You're so restricted in what you can do on the job and have to buy your own black clothes as part of the uniform policy. Low pay, almost non-existent advancement and non flexible work hours make it a bit of a retail sweatshop.

Good thing is if you show up to work and do the bare minimum, you have a job for life.
most enjoyable part of the job
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: the people
Cons: the long hours at christmas
It was working with my people.
getting to know them and seeing what can be done to be a productive person.
listening to their wants and needs

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more