Walmart

Walmart Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Wal-Mart
2nd Shift Instock Reciever (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: three breaks a day.
Cons: under appreciated, under paid, lack of opportunities for growth, no employee value.
I do not have anything to say about this work environment that my overall rating above doesn't already state, as well as my pros and cons.
unfair and terrible
FRONT END CASHIER (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2015
unfair. no justice. they only focus on one culture. not understanding at all. worst management team. don't care abut their employee they treat their employee like slaves.
productive and fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), North Sydney, NSMarch 3, 2015
management was great and willing to help by any means, if the hours were better would have stayed, co workers were very friendly and great to work with
Fun place to work at
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Val-d'Or, QCMarch 3, 2015
Pros: flexibe hours, the people are nice
Cons: shoes provide by work are not comfertale
Walmart is a fun place to work at, the people you work with are generally very nice and helpful if you need enlightenment on any matter
great working enviroment
cashier (Former Employee), Victoria BCMarch 3, 2015
Pros: job is very flexible with hours
Cons: pay was okay but could be a bit more
working at walmart was a great experience, I've learnt a lot from working there and gain a few skills, like costumer services, working on a cash register, working under pressure, dealing with different types of peole both culture and attitude.
Cashier
Garden Center Cashier (Former Employee), Camrose, ABMarch 2, 2015
It all depends on what location you work, but all in all it was so so. Some good days and others.. well others you wish the customer would just leave already.
Experince
Cashier (Former Employee), Spruce Grove, ABMarch 2, 2015
Pros: learning oppurtunity
Cons: meetings
Wal-mart of course is the place where you go if your just starting to work and you need the potential experience to move on with other jobs. Wal-mart does not pay their employees well, but pays them minimum wage. Working their gave me customer service skills that I would have not gotten anywhere else.
okay
Freezer Associate/ Produce Associate (Former Employee), Stratford, ONMarch 2, 2015
It was an okay place to work, i worked their over 20 years ago, not sure how it is now, they have been plenty of change in the past 20 yrs, with layoff and then rehiring.
very productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2015
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: long hours
every day at work it was a fun day and productive, this it,s because we was a team who really give the best we could! i learned to communicate more and to grow as a team.
Quiet, Secured, Friendly,
In stock Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: good co-workers, secured employment, safe and friendly environment, regular timely payment
Cons: low hourly wage, less variety in responsibilities, less promotions
I am an in-stock associate and my workplace is in back room. As I work on the weekends my main job is to pick and audit merchandise. So, a "telxon gun" is my best friend because I have use it throughout my whole shift.

In the morning I start my shift by auditing then at 10am I start scanning the items that comes up on the screen of my scanner (telxon gun) and putting them on a cart. its called picking. The primary goal is to finish "picking" all the items of the top 6 departments which are food, candy, toys, chemicals, health&beauty, and babies.

As my Walmart is a supercenter it has really effective and large management team. The store always has several managers including a duty manager who controls everything even on the weekends.

My co-workers are really helpful and friendly. When I started my jobs I didn't know anything or understand anything but they helped me a lot even when they didn't have to. I still have the job partly because of such good co-workers that I have. During lunchtime some of us sit together always at a table and hang out. We usually share our experience talk about current incidents.

The hardest part of the job to me is when there are so many items to pick but not enough men and also when I have to lift heavy items.

The part that I enjoy the most is that I get to meet a lot of different kind of people and listen to their stories. Also at the end of the two weeks when I get my pay stubs I feel proud and brave.
Lunch room with fridges, freezer, microwave and water for staff
Cashier PT (Current Employee), Huntsville, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: people i work with are awesome for the most part
Cons: dislike scatter brained hours, no rhyme, reason or pattern
If I could have Monday to Friday 7-3 pm it would be perfect I just don't like the scattered hours. I went from being a busy cashier to a bored associate on the floor. They are pretty good at giving us 3 weeks notice for schedule.
Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Management was good. Co-worker not so great but it was fine. The hardest part of the job is knowing that someone is not doing their job.
productive a fun place
Dept.Manager of Housewares and Small Appliances (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Back then, I started when it woolco, then Walmart took over in 1994. it was a great place to work. Everyone had their jobs, positions and daily tasks to do. The company cared for the employees.
Productive and fun place to work
Waitress (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: happy people
Cons: plently of shifts
What i learned was helpful tips toward customer service, how to build a quick relationship between you and the customer from only seeing them for a short period of time. The management were helpful and happy.
Walmart
Cashier (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLFebruary 26, 2015
Working with this company was a awesome experience, and was only one of my first real jobs. It made me realise what working was all about. It was great to work with the employees. It was also a great place to learn!
Making or Breaking the Business
Overnight Support Manager (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: benefits with the company, job security
Cons: tough maintaining a balance life working overnights
I've always believed the success of a store is controlled by the management team. I've worked in several Wal-Mart stores with various types of managers. There are the "Hand On", "Dictator", "Doer" and "Passive" to name a few.
I've always been the type to meet the expectations my company has set out for me and then strive to exceed those expectations.
Find creative ways to get others involved. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty along with the associates (aka employees), Lead by example, make sure your walk matches your talk, explain the "why" in what we are doing, make it fun where you can, always be approachable as well as always get back to the associate (aka employee) with the answer to their question before the shift is over.
For the most part when the management team is not speaking the same language and talking about each other behind their backs; then the associates loose respect as well as get confused about the expectations.
It's not always easy getting others to complete task but I've found working just as hard as I expect them to work gains respect as well as when it comes to delegating its easier because they know you'd work just as hard and hold everyone to the same standard.

When starting work at 10:30pm a tour around the store is completed and notes taken for merchandise changes needing completion. Then it is time to fill out the NSR and see where we need associates as well as how many are required for that area. Once completed it is meeting time with sales, policies, pertinent information being given, and off to work. Follow up with the areas is done throughout – more... the shift. Once everything is stocked all merchandise left over is taken to the stockroom and getting the store ready for opening begins; by 7am everything is cleaned up and the store is ready for our customers.

It is great working with others and being part of a team. I like getting to know them on a personal level and not letting it be all about work. This allows them to see I'm invested in them and that they are a valuable asset to our company. No matter how man complaints I get regarding changes, other associates, or management I always try to put a positive spin on things even if it's difficult. – less
Great place
Senior Manager Digital Integration (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Wonderful people make this a wonderful place to work. A typcial day would involve working closely with a variety of teams within Walmart from ecommerce to marketing to merchants and beyond. I learned a lot about planning, implementation and execution as well as the typcial challenges associated with campaign execution in a large and complex organization. Hardest part of the job, ensuring all aspects of a particular campaign were perfect before the customer facing element was executed. I enjoyed going to work every day because of the talented individuals I was lucky enough to call colleagues. Walmart culture was positive, encouraging and overall geared toward ensuring associates cared about where they worked and what the company could do for the customer. Very customer centric organization.
Sales Associate
sales associate (Former Employee), OttawaFebruary 25, 2015
Walmart was a good experience, working as a team and as an individual. I worked mainly in the outdoors/seasonal department, which required heavy lifting and a lot of outdoor work.
A place to gain experience in the Retail and Merchandising Business. Good for learning.
Category Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: stable job
Cons: stressful job
It is a place a young professional can learn a lot about the Retail Business. The chance of learning is High. Management is very controlling.
Good first job to start with
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Whitby, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: interacting with different customers
Cons: having to work weekends
I liked the environment greeting customers when they come to checkout, seeing the items and bagging them and then wishing them a good day, knowing I was one of the last people they see in the store.

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more