Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,935 reviews matching the search
great working experience
cashier (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBJanuary 27, 2016
i was hired here during the holiday time for the big christmas rush.
this was my first job, fresh in high school.

i was a cash and to be honest this job to me was probably one of the worst experiences i have ever had
maybe it's because of the management team.

when big rush day's we would be 2 cashes opened and we would rush extremely we would have customers complain to us and be truly un happy and pretty much giving us a load on because of it , but it was out of ours hands as we were only cashiers,

they would have us work close to open automatic doors in cold on winter ( our hands would Freeze) they were Red and we would complain and they would not let us switch to further cash's that were not being used to keep up warm.

unfortunately this Walmart was very poorly operated.
i don't think that every Walmart is but would be a great thing if you knew someone who worked there and maybe asked them a few questions or just to observe on how they function.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
poor management
Very Friendly Co-Workers and Managers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gander, NLFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day working as a cashier at Walmart, was pretty good, you could work anywhere from a four hour shift to a eight hour shift. What i learned the most about at the wlamart located in Gander, was to treat the customer with the upmost respect and how to properly deal with a conflicting situation with a customer. The management was great, they would always help you out if you needed it, whether it be training or with a personal matter. If you needed any time off they would often go out of their way to get those hours covered for you. I got along with my coworkers fine, they were very nice and friendly, as a cashier should be. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with an upset customer, sometimes the customer can get very upset and say some awful things, but as a cashier you must know how to deal with situation like these properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that when you got to work, were would be an amazing group of coworkers there to work with
Stressful and exhausting
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCSeptember 1, 2015
Working as a cashier is very tiring and very stressful. Our store has become very busy and we are so short on staff. Long long line-ups breaks running far behind and managment that doesnt seem to care. By the end of an 8 hour shift body is sore and extremely exhausted.
Pay isnt great and raises are based on many things including how many mastercards you get. Only concern by management is mastercards.
Pros
Free lunch after 70 plus accident free days, some great co workers
Cons
Pay isnt great, hours arent great no benefits unless you are fulltime and this store doesnt hire full time
Nice job!
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABDecember 14, 2015
This was a good job at the time. But it didn't fit me.
Shifts can be constant, for me they were.
Raises were poor and showed in peoples job performance.
Pros
10% discount on MOST things
Cons
Management.
very demanding on staff
Inventory Controller (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCFebruary 8, 2016
Wall Mart is a very demanding environment and often may not treat their employees with proper respect.
Typical day would be following daily routine, what I have learned is that expectations are not rational management is not always properly trained and not always professional the co workers are nice and respect you and the hardest part of the job is dealing with unrealistic expectations the most enjoyable part of job is having co worker support or internal customer support and then going home.
Pros
allot of hours
Cons
not respectful of employees
Walmart employment experience
Customer ServiceCustomer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 4, 2016
Walmart hides behind policies and practices that make them seem like they care about their employees. In truth they care for nothing more than saving the company money regardless of who is affected. They often perform job cuts and cut part time and full time alike hours.
Management is terrible and ask for more than is humanly possible, and are often flat out rude. I have worked at 3 walmart locations and I share this opinion for all of them.
good working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 12, 2016
Walmart is a good working environment, with lot of sales experience. The management is perfect for any individual just starting their career in sales.
Enjoyable job for post secondary student
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONJanuary 19, 2016
An average day of work consisted of arriving on time for a scheduled shift. Following that I would slice and prepare deli meat and hot food for customers upon request. I would also be required to perform stocking duties as the stock arrived. Working with management could sometimes be difficult as there are many employees and few managers. The hardest part of the job was covering for co-workers who periodically would miss shifts. Due to the minimal amount of management staff discipline was lacking upon those who would not meet the job requirements. However the job itself is enjoyable as the work was not hard or stressful. Most importantly, from this job I have learned a great deal of customer service responsibilities.
Pros
Flexible work hours, minimal stress, pleasant co-workers
Cons
minimal management staff, lacking in discipline
Good entry-level job
Walmart Cashier/Store Standards (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 24, 2016
Typical day at work was very repetitive though always introducing new experiences with customers. Management seems to lose focus of their workers as they get wrapped up in the busy environment of the store, and often has hard time relating to the employees. Overall, good place for students looking for their first entry-level job, with all required training and opportunities, as well as postie environment for anyone looking to work part time.
my job
Quarterback (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCMarch 14, 2016
binning over stock freight in the back room after it had been stocked on the sales floor. time management

I got along great with my coworkers and bosses

hardest part of my job was having to depend my time on how fast they were working the floor because that determines how fast its coming back to me to get it put away.

I worked with fun people, respect amongst the crew.

the most enjoyable part of my job was at the end of every shift they expressed gratitude and appreciation to all of us.
Pros
discounts
Cons
night shift
It good for paying the bills
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONFebruary 27, 2016
it is a fun place to work at but depending on the management , it is quite annoying sometimes to work since they expect too much
Pros
fun place sometimes
Cons
long hours/management
Great staff to work with
Cashier, Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 24, 2015
It is environment that requires employees to communicate and serve clients in a fast-paced environement. The hardest part of the job would to be able constantly lift heavy merchandise, stand for long hours and deal with customers that may not always be pleasant to communicate with.
Pros
Great place to learn new skills
Cons
Part-timers do not get benefits.
Decent job experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Overall it was a decent first job experience. Professional management team. The Pharmacy Management was not very professional, and I was not trained properly to do certain tasks. Therefore, I needed to figure out certain things on my own.
Pros
Welcoming and Professional Management
Cons
Long hours/days
Very family oriented.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABOctober 26, 2015
A typical day at work is not always typical. A plan may be made ahead for yourself but upon arrival management may have other ideas and priorities for you. Customers always help in deciding what you accomplish for your day also because they are number one and require your first attention. Working here takes a very versatile person. Something I much enjoyed about my work.

I learned that while I feel appreciated, I may not be.

Management is always available for open door communications but is not always on your side when things go wrong.

The staff in this store are always on your side. Very friendly and accommodating when help is required. Beware: with close friendly co-workers comes some level of non-accomplishment when looking for advancement. If you're too friendly with your co-workers, advancement may be in jeopardy.

The hardest part of the job is finding time to get it all done. Most days there just aren't enough hours.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are the co-workers and always having something to keep your time busy.
Pros
Charity work.
Cons
Not always enough training.
Potentially great workplace with some pitfalls
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCOctober 7, 2015
As a student working at Walmart, I can say that it is one of many workplaces which accommodate student schedules very well. The number of hours requested is mostly respected and making changes or getting exceptions is relatively easy once advance warning is given. I can also say that the team environment in the company is great to work in. I can also say that the company offers acceptable benefits to its associates. Unfortunately, these benefits do not come close to being equal to those of other corporations. Furthermore, advancement and opportunities are not numerous within the company. I have found it hard to switch positions easily or to acquire many more benefits over the 3 and a half years I worked there. I have also observed a lack of organisation in terms of how the store is run. There is often missing equipment, poorly planned tasks assigned,etc. As a result, I am seeking a job which will offer a better overall experience.
fun and productive and helping customers
Customer service specialist (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABOctober 17, 2015
a typical day was folding clothes and helping customers and letting customers in fitting room.
what i learned at Walmart is customer service is number one.
the management was okay, some of them would treat disabled workers a different way compared to others.
i liked most of my coworkers we would try and make the work day fun so it went by faster.
the hardest part of my job was wen you couldn't help a customer out because you didn't know what to do and they got mad.
the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help all the customers i could help for the day.
Pros
discount card
Cons
some long hours
A great experience, good vibes
Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 23, 2016
I am often at the latter evening the only person available in several departments. For me this is no problem. I am used to multitasking.
I have experience in other retail for many years and work part time here.

There are often many returned items and they must be put back in stock on the shelf. Their system for stock control is somewhat dated compared to other venues I have worked for, however is cost effective for them.

Many of the staff here have extensive experience and are a joy to work with. Management is focused and they communicate effectively.

The store is very busy at times and I have been asked to help out at the checkouts from time to time. Customers here are very accommodating in general.

My observation is that most of the sad tails I have read and heard about regarding Wal mart are somewhat embellished and urban legend once you see what the inner workings truly are.
Pros
Great staff, nice store, supervisors are on the mark
Cons
No complaints so far
Wouldn't Recommend
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day: punch in, get register number from CSM (customer service manager), go to register, cash out customers, break, cash out customers, lunch, cash out customers, break, cash out customers, punch out, celebrate

Learned: how to keep my cool with difficult people

Management: treat you well for the first 3 months and then treat you horribly

Co-workers: all nice, all hate their job

Hardest part: dealing with rude customers/management

Best part: long lunch
Pros
Hour long lunch
Cons
Management is awful
Great- Except management and staff
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 23, 2016
My job as a photographer here was amazing, i really enjoyed it. It's a deep passion of mine, so I am honoured I got to pursue it for a little while. The staff and management is very snarky, rude, unprofessional, and not understanding whatsoever. They did not train me and then made me close the store, then laughed the next day when I arrived because I had made so many mistakes. Manager there watched cameras at home while you work.
Pros
Great customers. Love the work.
Cons
Staff
Very structures and friendly atmosphere
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCMarch 12, 2016
Walmart was a great place to work, there was a good team atmosphere and management was great to deal with which made it a very low stress place to work. The hardest part of the job was getting used to working the overnight shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of shift when everything was up and looking great and the shelves were all full again
Pros
great team atmosphere
Cons
low paying salaries