Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great Teamwork and Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oakville, ONNovember 9, 2015
Fantastic staff to work with and good pay for previous experience. Good opportunities for advancement and raises. Managers are nice people and understanding.
Productive, fast paced and easy going.
Cashier Associate (Current Employee), Summerside, PEJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Rewarding work; Great co-workers; Employee discount; Pay equity; Benefits; Flexible scheduling
Cons: Standing for long periods of time.
A typical day at work, for me, starts with counting my till. I then turn on my light and begin courteously, efficiently and expediently, getting our clientele through the checkout process.

I have learned to deal with all kinds of people, situations and emergencies. I have also learnt how to respond to irate/angry customers without taking their attitude personally.

Management is a key team of men and women, who are an instant resource in our store. There is always someone, close at hand, to help out in any and all situations.

I have a great rapport with my co-workers and a lot of us will get together outside of the store, to do fun things together, in our community.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with and trying to appease, an angry customer. Every angry customer, is an opportunity for me to learn and use the proper mechanisms to deal with and assuage the customer.

The most enjoyable part of the job, for me is, everything else!
Excellent staff members
Cashier (Former Employee), Spruce Grove, ABNovember 23, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Low salary
Flexible hours allow more family time. Store manager and personnel very accommodating and helpful. Great work culture and open door policy.
Well informed and constantly changing retail enviroment.
Store manager (Former Employee), GTA Wal-martsSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: compensation, exciting
Cons: worklife balance
Wal-mart is able to provide vital operational and financial data to their management teams everyday. These reports allow managers to pinpoint shortfalls in financials and operational efficiencies every morning which allows the team to react and correct any shortfalls on a daily basis.
Great first job with great group of people to work with.
Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2015
Pros: Great people! great pay!
Cons: late hours, management was iffy
Walmart was probably the best first job anyone could ask for. They treat you very well when you first start and making training very easy! The employees that work their are like my second family and everyone has each others back at Walmart. They management there is good but I wouldn't say they are the best. They sometimes lose sight on that you have a life outside of Walmart in my case school and family. But they are pretty good with any kind of availability that you have. I would definitely recommend this job to any one looking for a job. Not to mention depending on your previous employment you could start higher than minimum wage, and you get a raise after 3 months, and every year based on productivity.
Stressful environment
Fashions Associate (Former Employee), Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
Cons: rudeness, degrading
It is a very stressful place to work. Whether you are forced to take on the tasks and areas that other people are supposed to look after, or because of your lack of training that you are hit with angry (job security) threats and verbal attacks.

For the most part the coworkers are great - some are there just for the pay check, but most of them are great to be around. Like anywhere else you have a handful of the grouchy, spiteful coworkers.

The management tries, though being underpaid they may not put in as much effort as they could if they were not being crushed by the corporate's boot.

The most enjoyable part working here, was working alone (on the floor), especially during the evenings when everything is slow. any tasks you needed to do could be done then. The hardest part is biting your tongue when you're being verbally abused or having your hours cut back drastically just becaue they don't like how confident or assertive you are.

The worst part was the pay. There's no way you can live, comfortably, on less than 600 a month.
Terrible culture and no work life balance
Co Store Manager (Former Employee), Greater Toronto AreaSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Decent salary
Cons: Terrible work life balance
No respect for the individual. Retaliation is the norm from the Store Managers. Constantly in fear of losing your job. You're flat out told that you are expected to sacrifice your family life to keep your job and if you want to keep any hope of moving up.
Walmart
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Great benefits for management
Cons: long hours
Overall was a great place to work and be a part of, now there is less work/life balance and morale is low within the company.
A nice place to work with multi-culture environment
Operations Team Member (Former Employee), Rockyview, AlbertaJuly 20, 2015
Pros: good salary
Cons: long hours and not accessible to transportation.
We usually have a 10 minute minute meeting with stretching and some points of what is happening inside. I learned almost everything about logistics procedure and safety handling and measures inside the warehouse. all my co workers have respect to each other and the management especially the HR coordinators are very helpful and attentive to their members need.
Great benefits and wages, poor management
Customer Service Specialist - Bakery Dept. (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Salary above minimum wage, Opportunities to move up in the company
Cons: Management communication
Usually a decent place to work. There are great benefits, they work around your schedule and (usually) give you the hours you need, which is very helpful as a student, and they pay above minimum wage. However the management team is lacking in communicating with each, their follow up with associates, and holding people accountable. Being organized is key, along with time management.
Productive work place.
Deli Associate (Current Employee), keel and finchFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: long hours
It is usually a pretty busy place to work. There is always something to do. Interacting with Customers which is one of my favourite part of my day. Most of my co-workers are interesting and good people to work with. We try our best to work as a team and bring a positive attitude to our department. The management could be improve a little bit but overall it is good. I Don't feel i have a very hard job because i like being active and busy doing things. I like the fact that its a busy environment.
Very easy going. Great people & great customers!
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Prince Edward IslandMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Great people, happy environment, promotions, the list is endless!
Cons: What cons? I can't think of any.
A day at work was never a dull moment at Walmart. Everyone liked to laugh but there was a good time and place for those moments. If your work was getting done, you could have a laugh while you were getting there. I don't think I ever remember having a bad day here. Open door policy, you have a problem with anyone? Tell your boss and it'll be solved. I had one once and only once. After that, the person I had the problem with become a very close friend. Great and fun place to work. Id go back in a heart beat once again. But I'd still prefer shipping and receiving!
Good stable place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Kanata, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Discount on everything in the store
Cons: Long hours at Christmas
A typical day at Walmart involved opening a thousand little boxes of make-up. It got a little tedious, repetitive and was very hard on the hands. Also dusting and facing products, as well as placing reorders on popular products. I learned many thing at Walmart, including being part of a big team, learning how to change MODS and set up new items in the system. Also how to bin items and place orders on popular products, as mentioned before. I had many different managers at this lovely place, all of them where amazing to work for. The hardest part of the job would have been, all those little boxes with just one piece of make-up in them, such a waste of cardboard, and took up a lot of extra time. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to help customers find a product that suited them, so they left happy and with something that would make them want to return.
A Day at Walmart
Customer service specialist (Current Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
A day at Walmart, meeting variety of cultures and ethnic. Being able to talk to new people and being able to interact with others and putting a smile on their faces. Helping them with their need's to their fullest. Making sure everyone walks out happing and very willing to shop at the store again. I have excelled at customer service skills, problem solving working with people at customer service desk and cash handling at cash registers. I have also learn shipping and receiving, back room management, and merchandise stocking and handling. The hardest part of my job was going their right after a long day of school, but honestly seeing the people shopping their after a more hectic day than me, and shopping for their family. I am very happy to be a part of their day and hopefully allow them to smile. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with very respectful people, management is very appreciative of the work we do for the company, and such out going personalities.
Walmart
Sales associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2016
Walmart was good place for me to work because i was surrounded by friends most of the time. However there was very little space for advancement because the management was very unorganized and efficient. I learned many things from working there such as, time management, efficiency and hard work.The hardest part of the job was the constant ranting from the managers, however there was also a good side to working there which was helping customers out and working with some of my close friends.
Fast paced, unorgaized stressful enviroment.
Associate (Former Employee), North Bay, ONNovember 29, 2015
Pros: 10% discout card.
Cons: Long hours, none flexible hours, terrible managment.
Management is not very supportive at all. Often talk down to you and show very little consideration towards you as a person. Hours are not flexible and often collide with what you have put down as your actual availability. Coworkers are usually great, we all grew together and learned new things. Many times we'd have many challenges that we'd need to learn to over come together. The job is very routine, nothing every really changes. A lot of drama between the coworkers. You will often be treated as a number rather then a person.
The bad and the good
Day Stocker/Inventory Control Team Member (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: Close to home.
Cons: Low pay.
The pay at the time was not much to raise a family on, and the advancement at the company was not easily accomplished. Great place for students, flexible hours and very accommodating management.
Terrible
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2015
Pros: nice co workers
The job was ok I like hard work but the work environment is toxic. The management is bad working nights and they kept people on who couldn't handle the job. One of my coworkers on my team was caught sleeping over 3 times and was never fired.

The other issue was repairs. When I was hired we were all a new team and the equipment had been broken and misused by previous workers. Because the previous staff had messed around with the electrical and mechanical components of the floor cleaning equipment the warranty was voided and management would not pay to fix things. It was very frustrating to see one piece of equipment break down and not have it fixed so we could do our jobs.

I had to mop the store by hand for about a month this could have lead to injury because of the sheer size of the store.
great people, issues with management
Bakery sales associate (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours, no communication
Walmart was a very interesting place to work with great people. however their is a huge communication barrier between management and the associates. I have requested time off countless times only for it to be completely ignored along with my availability. They also had a big issue with people calling in sick and countless employees have been written up because they were sick.
First Job experience.
CASHEIR (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCNovember 25, 2015
Pros: Free food (occasionally)
Cons: Terrible pay, long hours, bad management
I personally didn't have the greatest experience working at Wal-mart. I found that the management wasn't at all how they make themselves out be during the orientation. Although it wasn't always terrible, the employees are very nice, the friends I made at this job are great people, we always made the day worth while. The beginning pay wasn't all that great. I'm glad for this job because I learned how to communicate with other people a lot better, it taught me to be less shy. The hardest part of this job was having to deal with rude customers, or angry customers.
Headquarters