Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,865 reviews matching the search
Busy as expected, but repeatedly dropped the ball.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NSJune 20, 2016
Not sure about other Walmart stores, but the one in Greenwood at least is one of the worst, for working at and at one point, shopping at. Let me start with the fact that the AC in the building was not working, at all. It was alright during winter, but during the summer it was terrible, with customers and staff alike feeling faint and nauseous. Walmart apparently refused to fix it saying it was someone else responsibility while they said it was Walmart's. Meanwhile Walmart did nothing, though it did get fixed, but not for a long time. Moving on from there, the management repeatedly dropped the ball, conflicted scheduling from different trainers, paperwork they never got me to sign that I was apparently supposed to and even what seems to be a big chunk of training they just never got around to giving me while I was there. While there some of managers were nice, but most just weren't. A large number are rude and uncaring and don't even communicate well with each other. When another manger got on my case about BB guns not being in the cabinet where there just wasn't room for them and showed no understanding of the department it was concerning to say the least. Harsh, strict and some EXTREMELY rude managers that don't care for their staff in the slightest kills it. Speed requirement is extremely high as well. If you can, I would try other places, if not...well, you never know, it doesn't work for most, but it just might for you. Just be careful, if they tell you they are gonna be letting you go they seem to lose all interest in your well being.
Pros
Nice, polite and friendly co-workers
Cons
Literally everything except the co-workers
nice people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONJune 19, 2016
Working at walmart was such a pleasure . I enjoyed meeting new people everyday and talking with them . Every day was different . Co-workers were very nice and fun to work with . Great place to work.
many different departments to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBJune 19, 2016
i worked for walmart twice, both were considered temperary because i was hired over the christmas rush. i worked in electronics, jewlery, as well as front and mall cashes. its a fun place to work
benefits
Cons
some managers
Fun workplace with lots of Customer Service experience.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2016
Nice environment for pat-time associates.
Opportunity to learn about dealing with different problems and situations.
Provides ample of customer service experience.
good place to work amazing co workers
Dairy/Fresh (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2016
Good place to work and have some amazing staff and I personally got enough hours 44+. management was very nice and inviting with lots of opportunity's to move up in the company if you wish to do so.
Pros
hours, staff, managment
Cons
bad co workers
Beware of the managers
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 18, 2016
I worked there for almost two years on the overnight team. I made full-time within 6 months and was promised more training in the months to come to prep for becoming a support manager. Including electric skid mover training and training on the gun used to find items in the back.

In my first year I asked multiple times to be trained on the gun, or to learn how to check temperatures in the frozen department. One manager showed me the gun for one night to try and insult another associate by showing that I was better. "You're doing the manual work and hes got the smart job" - manager (Things like that happened a lot)

After a year and half of working hard and kissing butt I started the notice the sexism, racism, and ageism going on in the workplace. I talked to the managers about what I had seen as did my fellow associates. We were told multiple times that nothing of the like was going on. The managers mood changed drastically after our meetings and I was thrown onto the bottom rung of the ladder, no longer being asked to do more work, no longer being asked to take more shifts even if I asked for both.

At the almost two year mark I decided to quit, I informed them and wrote my two weeks notice thinking that if I finished the two weeks I could use Walmart as some kind of a reference. Walmart doesn't give references by the way. After telling them I was going to quit I was told I would now be vacuuming the floors instead of stocking shelves. I almost asked for the maintenance crew pay raise of 13 cents for being asked to do their job but I held my tongue and vacuumed the floor.
  more...

On my last day (two days after giving notice) I was told by my fellow associates that Walmart doesn't give references. So instead of being hassled by the managers any longer I decided to go in for my last night and do my exit interview, where I was told I could no longer apply for a job at any Walmart and that if employers called all they would say is yes he worked here once.

I have now been jobless for two months, I check on here everyday for a new one but I receive no call backs or just employers saying "We will call you in a week or two if you have an interview". I can only blame myself for not staying in that place. But even though I'm broke and jobless, I feel better about myself, and my mood has improved dramatically.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Managers, and drama
Walmart
Electronics Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJune 18, 2016
A simple job where it is based primarily on customer interaction. You also are due to complete tasks assigned by management.
Busy workplace with too many retirees and no one new.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJune 17, 2016
I have learned to deal with many different customers, the good and the bad, and it was a valuable experience I will never forget. Training and preparation could have been better, but the stress forced me to learn as fast as possible with minimal mistakes (or else). I have gained confidence speaking with customers and dealing with new situations, and MOST coworkers were pleasant to work with. All in all, a nice place to work for beginning in retail.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Not enough hours
best first job no regret
Customer service specialist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 16, 2016
loved it was promoted !! worked as many hours as i wanted loved the management clean environment co workers was more like family as a first job i dont regret the job at all sometimes i wished i never quit
Pros
growth
Cons
distance
Productive and efficient with great work environment.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 16, 2016
In a typical day of work I would clock in at 8 in the morning and begin zoning my area which was hardware and paint. The act of zoning is cleaning up any items in the aisles while making sure all items are properly organized on the shelf. All while doing this I would mix paint for customers to any color of their desire and provide great customer service by patiently listening and answering any questions in a respectful manner. Additionally when the store would reach peak hours more assistance would be required on the sales floor for cashiers. Therefore, I would go to the front and help with running a point of sale register. Through repeatedly doing this I became very efficient and mastered the cash register while gaining valuable customer service experience and knowledge.
Pros
Flexible hours
Production
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 16, 2016
Its a great place to work but lack managerial leadership. Some associates get little recognition for there hard work. Its a good opportunity to get know different people
Pros
Associates Discount
Cons
Minimum wages
Great Work experience
Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 16, 2016
This has been my favourite work environment yet. Everyone is looking out for your best interests and are always willing to help.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Low pay
Working at night
Backroom Inventory Associate / Overnight (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 16, 2016
Working at WalMart is very Physical and demanding alot of heavy lifting Night goes by fast working independently.
Enjoy working here just need more hours.
Pros
Working Nights
Cons
Want more hours
Inconsistent hours
Garden center cashier (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJune 16, 2016
Start off work 30 hours a week and they continue to hire, so the employees get less work and then they leave because they get less hours.
productive, many responsibilities, good customers
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 15, 2016
I learnt alot of things t walmart such as how to do time management, how to do mutliple tasks at a time, how to behave calm even during stressful situations. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some extremely rude customers & also covering multiple departments at a time. The most enjoyable part is that you make lots of good friends from different ethnicity and different age groups. The other enjoyable part is making good relation with regular and nice customers.
It is a very hard job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 15, 2016
1. Need to cashier almost everyday and not enough time to work my department.
2. Stock shelves for cosmetic everyday.
3. the hardest part of the job is not enough time to finish my work.
Pros
Improve my English skills
Cons
too busy
negative atmosphere among employees, extremely low moral, it is like working with 20 hawks watching you at all times ready to pounce.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 14, 2016
-same routine daily
-management favours certain employees
-coworkers mostly all agree about management
-unable to enjoy a day at work without having to keep looking over your shoulders to see management constantly watching you. Always afraid that you will make a mistake.
-working with the public (customer service) would be the most enjoyable part of the job
Cons
favourtism
My Review
Electronics Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 14, 2016
Really nice environment, great experience ! Learned lots of communication skills. I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking to gain skills in speaking with many different types of people.
Good place to work, customer service, sales ansd marketing
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 13, 2016
1 SUNDAY REMAIN TYPICAL DUE TO HUGE RUSH
2 I HAVE LEARNT VARIOUS THINGS LIKE

Make provision for a quality customer service delivery
Give prompt response to the calls of customers
Provide understanding of the nature of the store
Provide effective help to customers when needed
Operate cash register when the urgency arises
Take appropriate procedures in attending to claims of customers
Apprised with product updates and products information so as to offer good response to customers’ questions
Handle proper labeling and pricing of merchandize
Ensure the store is clean
Ensure displaced products are returned to the right department and shelf
Adhere to the rules and regulations on safety
Safeguard all displays and merchandize
Fill back stocks from the store or warehouse when the shelves are out of stock
Make customers feel appreciated and valued
Abreast with safety and security measures of keeping the store safe
Ensure proper sanitation of the work environment
Offer assistance to customers in locating products of their choice
Understand the nature and the importance of each product to explain its use to customers
Take part in routine meetings of staffs
Offer assistance with unloading of merchandize and uploading of stocks

3 & 4 MANAGEMENT & CO WORKERS ARE SUPPORTIVE, FRIENDLY

5 IF EVERYTHING IS DONE BY HEART NOTHING IS HARDEST . SO NOTHING IS HARDEST FOR ME

6 TALKING AND SOLVING QUERIES OF CUSTOMERS
Pros
FLEXIBLE SCHEDULES, FRIENDLY ENVIORNMENT, GREAT THINGS TO LEARN
Cons
NOT EVEN A SINGLE I FIND TILL DATE
Productive and Fun place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Olds, ABJune 13, 2016
I had a routine I tried to follow everyday: I started at one end of the store and work my way around the entire store. Hardest part was plugged toilets but the most enjoyable part was getting the know most of the employees. Also Management was pretty good when you needed to talk about anything.