Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 4,043 reviews matching the search
Stressful and exhausting
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCSeptember 1, 2015
Working as a cashier is very tiring and very stressful. Our store has become very busy and we are so short on staff. Long long line-ups breaks running far behind and managment that doesnt seem to care. By the end of an 8 hour shift body is sore and extremely exhausted.
Pay isnt great and raises are based on many things including how many mastercards you get. Only concern by management is mastercards.
Pros
Free lunch after 70 plus accident free days, some great co workers
Cons
Pay isnt great, hours arent great no benefits unless you are fulltime and this store doesnt hire full time
Nice job!
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABDecember 14, 2015
This was a good job at the time. But it didn't fit me.
Shifts can be constant, for me they were.
Raises were poor and showed in peoples job performance.
Pros
10% discount on MOST things
Cons
Management.
Would prefer a daily enema
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
The most insufferable and excruciating job I have ever endured. Coworkers can be extremely frustrating and lazy, management is tenfold. Customers treat employees as if they are punching bags, while the paradigm of Walmart is to place achievable standards onto employees while providing such little compensation that the combined wage of two associates could not even afford rent.
Pros
A snazzy looking vest to exude upper management potential
Cons
Seriously, a Namibian slaughterhouse would be more appealing.
Stressful environment
Fashions Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
It is a very stressful place to work. Whether you are forced to take on the tasks and areas that other people are supposed to look after, or because of your lack of training that you are hit with angry (job security) threats and verbal attacks.

For the most part the coworkers are great - some are there just for the pay check, but most of them are great to be around. Like anywhere else you have a handful of the grouchy, spiteful coworkers.

The management tries, though being underpaid they may not put in as much effort as they could if they were not being crushed by the corporate's boot.

The most enjoyable part working here, was working alone (on the floor), especially during the evenings when everything is slow. any tasks you needed to do could be done then. The hardest part is biting your tongue when you're being verbally abused or having your hours cut back drastically just becaue they don't like how confident or assertive you are.

The worst part was the pay. There's no way you can live, comfortably, on less than 600 a month.
Cons
rudeness, degrading
Good stable place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONMarch 31, 2016
A typical day at Walmart involved opening a thousand little boxes of make-up. It got a little tedious, repetitive and was very hard on the hands. Also dusting and facing products, as well as placing reorders on popular products. I learned many thing at Walmart, including being part of a big team, learning how to change MODS and set up new items in the system. Also how to bin items and place orders on popular products, as mentioned before. I had many different managers at this lovely place, all of them where amazing to work for. The hardest part of the job would have been, all those little boxes with just one piece of make-up in them, such a waste of cardboard, and took up a lot of extra time. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to help customers find a product that suited them, so they left happy and with something that would make them want to return.
Pros
Discount on everything in the store
Cons
Long hours at Christmas
a good place
Night Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 24, 2016
good benefits especially on the business side because you can also earn on their profit sharing and big discount on the in store purchases.
Pros
timely break
Good place to work when you adapt to the environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  3757 Keele StreetDecember 17, 2015
A typical day at work is solely based on routines that need to be completed on a daily bases as well as dealing with situations that may present itself like dealing with customers and associates issues and concerns. What I've learned is that our people is what makes the business run and their engagement and performance must be managed and as a manager its my responsibility to have the right people in the right position to succeed through teaching,training and engaging each associate.

The management team each have responsibilities that they're each expected to manage but it important to be able to work as team to accomplish the company's vision.

The hardest part of the job is to manage myself engagement in order to keep others engage in the job that there're in, and to achieve the company's vision but on the other side of it is when the process is working the way the company as set, it a thing of beauty once you step back and watch the job being executed.
Pros
company growth, ability to change stores, promotions
Cons
long hours, recognition, schedules, work life balance
A great way to start my career with a Large Retailer.
Connections Centre Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 20, 2015
My Wal-Mart experience was my first job, and the first time that I got to use my social skills and ability to create promoters on the workplace. I worked in the electronics department and then followed by the connection centre that piloted in a few stores across Canada in 2007. This was my first experience in the Telecommunications industry and taught me how to retain a customer for 3 years with a major provider in Canada. It was a great experience working in a new department that was new to a retailer such as Wal-Mart, it was also a great way for me to really get to know my customer and see how they use their phone. Different from now, the phones that were sold in the connection centre were not smartphones, so I had to make the customer understand the value of having a phone and keep them connected.
Pros
Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, not a great work/life balance.
I left Walmart as I was not agreeing with the way the cut backs affected the safety of our customers
Full Time Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, OntarioOctober 7, 2015
I worked in the pharmacy for the last 7 years. Unfortunately, Walmart did not care enough in the welfare of our customers and their only concern was their profit margin
Pros
I had no issues with the wage, their benefits was awesome and the share holder shares were very good
Cons
Because of all Walmarts cutbacks, the customers suffered, the employees were working under a lot of pressure, the quality of work coming from the walmart employees was not good.
Work under pressure
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Constant change in hours. Reduction of hours
Being moved from dept. to dept.
Pressured to do more in less time
Poor communication from management and supervisors
Lack of people skills and team players in some of the co-workers
The hardest part of successfully doing my job was the lack of having the need to fix something and lack of interest and/or appreciation towards the employees by management
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the customers and helping them out in any way I could.
Pros
We recieved a 10% discount on lunches
Cons
Long hours when necessary
Interesting Experience
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 3, 2015
Great people to work with. I found management in some areas lacking communication. No benefits for part time employees, and sometimes they reduce hours, even after they hire many new employees. Not many postings internally for advancement.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Low pay
Very easy going. Great people & great customers!
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Prince Edward IslandMarch 11, 2016
A day at work was never a dull moment at Walmart. Everyone liked to laugh but there was a good time and place for those moments. If your work was getting done, you could have a laugh while you were getting there. I don't think I ever remember having a bad day here. Open door policy, you have a problem with anyone? Tell your boss and it'll be solved. I had one once and only once. After that, the person I had the problem with become a very close friend. Great and fun place to work. Id go back in a heart beat once again. But I'd still prefer shipping and receiving!
Pros
Great people, happy environment, promotions, the list is endless!
Cons
What cons? I can't think of any.
overall an ok place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSNovember 7, 2015
I would not suggest that this become a life long career, but it is a fun job depending on the management and staff.

If you are good at dealing with people Walmart is the place for you. Customers are ruthless, The best part of working for walmart is the co-worker family you will gain. some of the best people work for walmart.
Pros
yearly bonus depending on store sales, they do staff appreciation week, and give an extra discount to staff every november.
Cons
you will have no work life balance, little opportunity for advancement, you will be given many promises of things to happen and it will never be followed through with, no communication between management.
Not so fun once you start to grow
First Ship Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2015
I worked at Walmart since i came to this country....
I had the pleasure to work with amazing people and at the same time i have to be patient with most.

Business wise is very well systematize and standardize.
They provide you with the tools and some of them teach you how to use it, but most of them don't

The associates
Yes their is one or two bad apples but over all their very dedicated and humble people, easy to talk too each one of them have a story.

The Management Team
Well this is where is not pretty no more...Walmart strives for customer service always!
when u are a manager at Walmart you don't have a life and climbing the corporate ladder isn't simple, you have to win the race.
"Whoever kisses the most a** wins"
I worked at Walmart and demonstrate my talents and efficiency but for 3 years i never move out of my supervisor position.
It even came to a point were i have to train my 2 backroom managers that i trained to become one...ironic isn't it.

Anyways if you panning to work at Walmart i just got two words for you.

GOOD LUCK...
Pros
Health Care benefits
Cons
Minimum Wage, Few tools for developing, Poor people skills, Horrible Management
Great for Experience
Cashier - I dealt (Former Employee) –  LethbridgeOctober 9, 2015
Worked at the south Walmart for over a year as a cashier, and it is a great place to get experience. I enjoyed most of my coworkers and managers, and I do miss working there, but honestly, there is a bit of BS that goes on. But, if you're able to get on Full Time, the benefits are good, and you get a % of the shares from the stores profit every February, so it's like a late Christmas bonus.
Pros
Discount, especially at Christmas, friendly/awesome customers.
Cons
The rude customers, certain managers, wage.
A Day at Walmart
Customer service specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
A day at Walmart, meeting variety of cultures and ethnic. Being able to talk to new people and being able to interact with others and putting a smile on their faces. Helping them with their need's to their fullest. Making sure everyone walks out happing and very willing to shop at the store again. I have excelled at customer service skills, problem solving working with people at customer service desk and cash handling at cash registers. I have also learn shipping and receiving, back room management, and merchandise stocking and handling. The hardest part of my job was going their right after a long day of school, but honestly seeing the people shopping their after a more hectic day than me, and shopping for their family. I am very happy to be a part of their day and hopefully allow them to smile. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with very respectful people, management is very appreciative of the work we do for the company, and such out going personalities.
Great company, lots of opportunity, maximize skills.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Scarborough, MarkhamJuly 31, 2015
Worked Wal-Mart 11 years. A great company to work. Started of as a part time associate, now I'm an assistant store manager. My day started with planning, guiding, following up with associates, dealing with customer concern, coaching my fellow associates, merchandising. A fun to work where everyday is very challenging, result driven and a very fast paced environment. I love my team and co-workers. We help each other, give constructive criticism, meeting weekly to discuss overall operation, people. There are lot of opportunities to grow and learn in the company,
Pros
great benefit, good salary
Productive work place.
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  keel and finchFebruary 9, 2016
It is usually a pretty busy place to work. There is always something to do. Interacting with Customers which is one of my favourite part of my day. Most of my co-workers are interesting and good people to work with. We try our best to work as a team and bring a positive attitude to our department. The management could be improve a little bit but overall it is good. I Don't feel i have a very hard job because i like being active and busy doing things. I like the fact that its a busy environment.
Pros
good company to work for
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 20, 2015
good company to work for, very good salary for my department, very good working relation ship between supervisors and team members, unpredictable shift changes for some team members
It is what you make of it
2ND SHIFT INSTOCK ASSOCIATE/ SALES FLOOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day of work is being given way to much work to accomplish in during your shift. Don't ask for days off because you won't get it. They say family oriented place, not even close. If you wish to go far in this company be prepared for some of the worst days and nights of your life. Management loves to play favorites and i you are not one you will go no where in the company. They say the more you know the harder it is to replace you. This however is the exact opposite. The more you know the more they want to replace you. I would never go back to this company when thy want something from you, you better do it, if you want something from them don't even ask.