Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,911 reviews matching the search
High Volume Cashier Plus Credit Promotion
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Goderich, ON23 January 2017
Very busy frontend for cashiers and customer service. Point of sale transactions cash, debit, and credit. Promotional incentive for customers to apply for the company MasterCard. Customer can pay off transaction on company card in the next transaction. Promotion gives customer a percentage in cash rewards. Cashiers paid incentive for each application approved.
Pros
Christmas luncheons, casual dress ticket for multiple sign ups
Cons
No full time postions
love working with the people
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2017
my days was always a good day in walmart. i learned alot knowing the customers and also knowing your job i learned how to use a sku gun scan items how to look for items in the backroom of the store.
the management is okay they just don't know how to deal with people at that time.

My hardest part of my job is empty two trucks in one day that's around Christmas time
Pros
no free lunch but we get 20% off discount on anything
Cons
no long hours
Overworked
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa - Trainyards21 March 2017
- Typical day includes counting cash, bagging customers products, answering questions, helping out customer service associates,

- I learned about company policies to make the customer experience better.

- Management could go either way. They're do a great job till they don't and then it's your fault

-Hardest part of the job would be weekends or dealing with high traffic during lunch hours.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
You may be overworked
not a very good place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC20 January 2017
- always told to do jobs other than your own, not giving you the time to do your own job, then becoming annoyed with you for not getting your job done

- Department managers are always called up to work on the tills, because they don't ever schedule enough cashiers

- always reducing your hours even though you were guaranteed full-time @ 37.5/week

- always changing your schedule to make you work hours and days you didn't agree to work

- the manager and any number of the 7 or 8 assistant managers who happen to be working can either be found sitting in McDonalds having coffee or sitting in the office chatting and laughing
Best Worst Job Ever
Store Standards (Former Employee) –  Stoney, ON9 March 2017
While many people tend to complain about Wal-Mart, and believe me I was one of them, it isn't all that bad. Certain positions take more flak than others. However, it's main flaw is the Management not understanding most of what the employees actually do. Not all of the managers are like this and it makes the job a lot more bearable.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Free food every so often
Cons
Miscommunication Between Management
80 questions
associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
The 80 questions required are ambiguous. It does not give you a true picture of the person applying for the position. I worked at Walmart at 2 different stores and the third store didn't hire me. The questions want answers to situations that you may not have come across. They don't even interview the candidate in person. It is not a professional way to hire people
Pros
good staff
Cons
poor pay, long hours, unfair questionairre
Poor pay, Managment in poor shape, treated poorly
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB28 January 2017
You don't get paid well enough for your daily expectations. Managers speak poorly of other employees freely and are incredibly negative. Other employees are allowed to start drama, and speak negatively of others with no consequences. Team morale isn't great, and it's a fend for yourself type of environment.
Pros
Occasional Lunch
Cons
Poor pay, management and team environment. Unfair treatment
fun workplace but busy all the time
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON3 February 2017
long hours outside in the weather. I have learned great customer services skill and how to deal with customer problems. the hardest part of the job would be to work long hours and theirs no help at all, but that help you work harder and faster to get the job done. the most enjoyable part of the job is that I would be able to pick the time I take my lunch's.
Pros
good people to work around
Cons
long hours with no help
generally positive workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB20 January 2017
clock in, start with whatever department I was designated, pull pallets to the floor and stock shelves. take overstock and bin it in the backroom. recieve trucks, mostly dairy and freezer, use powerjack to put them in back freezer and back coolers.

management wasn't always competent in how to get the best of everyone, arguably only had two decent managers throughout my time there.

coworkers generally did their job well, some not so much.

hardest part was never having reliable help with binning overstock, they would always send someone who was too slow or unwilling to learn.

most enjoyable was stocking shelves in the general merchandise portion of the store because it was so easy to do.
Pros
discount card
Cons
bad managers
Awsome job while being a student
Cashier and Costumer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON23 March 2017
I feel as if Walmart is a very good company to work for with lots of benefits and abilities to move up in the company. I would recommend the job to anyone. For a student salary is amazing compared to other companies. All management at Walmart is awesome, I only had a tough time with one manager but we were quickly able to resolve those issues with me being able to move departments as I was unhappy where I was working. There isn't much that is hard about this job but the most enjoyable part is that Ive been at Walmart for almost 5 years now and it feels as if it is my other family. As much as i love Walmart i do have plans and goals for a career for my life and will have to eventually be leaving the company.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
busy christmas months
Productive work environment.
Stock Person,Maintenance Cleaner. (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC25 January 2017
Working at Walmart was so much fun & the associates that I've worked with are so nice & we work together & the management
was very nice.My typical workday consisted of placing stock,&
compacting cardboard,merchandising & doing daily maintenance.
I've learned the following during my 5.5 years working there.The hardest part of my job was working night shift.
Pros
Good yearly bonuses.
Cons
Pays not to great.
Challenging and somewhay boring
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC17 March 2017
The only time I enjoyed doing this job was during peak season for Christmas, otherwise it was pretty boring with lack of customers daily. The pressure to get customers in was sometimes overwhelming considering the number one thing that turned people away were the prices.
Pros
Meeting new people and the feelimg of being proud when someone loved your work
Cons
Slow season, boring, prices
Disorganized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Selkirk, MB13 February 2017
Very disorganized. Management rarely ever knows what to do when approached. They really want Walmart to be your number one priority in life. They try and pull fast ones and take advantage on teenage employees, important to know your rights as an employee. My manager admitted To me she did not know how to work in my department (one she looked over). It's very messy place to work.
Pros
Friends you make.
Cons
Managment
Enjoyed most part
Cashier / Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 January 2017
Working for Walmart was more difficult. When you apply and in the interview process they ask the hours, days and times you are unable to work. I was always scheduled in to work days and times that I was to be in school. I would then need to switch shifts with a co-worker and then they were frustrated with me because I would not keep my own scheduled shift. It was also hard once they had change shift managers.
Pros
great co-workers. lots of experience
Cons
scheduled you in hours you were unable to work
Always Productive,Knowledgeable and great team work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sagehill NW Calgary11 January 2017
With Walmart Everyday and even every moment is to learn something. This is the most important part of any job if you always learn new things day by day. Walmart gives a lot of opportunities to their associates and the best thing is the environment in which you work alone and in a team as well. the most enjoyable thing is to cooperate each other to help the customers and customer service is a great opportunity to learn things in a great way.
Awesome employers, with friendly coworkers, overall great work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 January 2017
I would usually start at 6:45 opening the store, clock in/out, get my assigned register, count my till, change the papers, put cash bags in all registers, put out new merchandise, greeted customers, cleaned conveyor belts, pushed for walmart mastercards, cashed out customers.

Learned how to use a different type of cash register than what i was used to, how to properly bag groceries

management was great except for one occasion which is also the reason i no longer work for walmart

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers, they were friendly and always helpful

The job was relatively stress free
Pros
Lots of hours, Plenty of time for lunch
Productive workplace with sense of Urgency
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ON26 March 2017
The Walmart that I had worked at had very little empathy for it's workers, though the store ran efficiently with minimal shoplifting.
Unless you're literally dying, Walmart expects you to be there, and I found that every absence was unapproved regardless of how many hours ahead you called in sick.
Pros
10% Discount on everything not marked 'clearance'
Cons
No Communication, No Empathy
Great team
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NS12 January 2017
A typical day at work involved:
 Helping customers find the right product.
 Stocking shelves using inventory from the backroom.
 Zoning shelves, arranging and modifying displays.
 Using Telxon barcode scanner to manage inventory and check stock.

I learned how use a Telxon barcode scanner.

Management were a upbeat and helpful group.

My co-workers I got know as friends and we worked together as a unit or team with everyone helping each other out.

The hardest part of the job was being responible for half of the store or more at once.

The most enjoyable part of the job was staying busy and having wonderful co-workers.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Very large store to cover
Great if you just need a part-time job
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
Most people working here only use it as an entry-level job (students), a stepping stone if lacking experience, or a second job. Policies and procedures are not very structured, so your experience will very greatly depending on the type of co-workers and managers you have. Unfortunately, there is a high turnover rate, and the good people usually get better jobs, so you are left with the not-so-good nor educated higher ups

There was insufficient training and very poor communication in my department, leading to conflict. Most management do not care about employees. They only care about meeting sales goals and keeping their own jobs
Pros
Schedule and position flexibility, advancement opportunities
Cons
No structure, poor management, profit-centred
Walmart is Okay
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Alberta11 January 2017
Walmart has its ups and downs. The best part by far is all the amazing people who work there. If your looking for a fun environment I highly suggest it. However, that being said it is hit or miss with the management team. There are very few who actually care about you and the work you do. Others, do not care about your life outside of work, they don't care about outside factors that impact your work or what implications there are that prevent you from your work. All they care about is that things get done, but do not expect help from them.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Wages and Hours are sub-par.