Walmart

great place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BCJanuary 27, 2016
duty manager
opening the store
great place to work co workers are awesome
when you open the store and the next day you have to close
management team awesome
Great experience working with the internal and external customer
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 27, 2016
It was a great experience working for that company serving to the customer improving my skills, knowledge, like cashier service, handling money and other methods of payments. And be a multitasking employee
Cons
8 hours
good
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
it was a good experiences had fun it was winter and i was only there seasonal i feel that more shifts should have been given as a seasonal
great working experience
cashier (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBJanuary 27, 2016
i was hired here during the holiday time for the big christmas rush.
this was my first job, fresh in high school.

i was a cash and to be honest this job to me was probably one of the worst experiences i have ever had
maybe it's because of the management team.

when big rush day's we would be 2 cashes opened and we would rush extremely we would have customers complain to us and be truly un happy and pretty much giving us a load on because of it , but it was out of ours hands as we were only cashiers,

they would have us work close to open automatic doors in cold on winter ( our hands would Freeze) they were Red and we would complain and they would not let us switch to further cash's that were not being used to keep up warm.

unfortunately this Walmart was very poorly operated.
i don't think that every Walmart is but would be a great thing if you knew someone who worked there and maybe asked them a few questions or just to observe on how they function.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
poor management
Assistant Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Everyday was different, but the overal goal was clear and percise.
Challenging work / life balance.
A variety of advancement opportunities available.
Wal-Mart Home Office - Productive and fun
Analyst, Corporate AR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Wal-Mart home office is one of the best place to work at. The working environment is excellent - team members, supports from the management etc. are unparallel.
job security
Overnight Support Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
job security for myself to sustain my family. Even though Im working in night shift, all I can say its enjoyable to work with my fellow associates.
good/bad
Til Trained Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Walmart had a lot of nice people I enjoyed working with and was a decent work environment, but when it came to working around my school schedule and other commitments. comprimises were not met
very fast
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Work seems to fly by when working at wal-mart fast pace and everyone is busy. hours are always available great for all people.
friendly work place
Events Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJanuary 26, 2016
This is a good place to work it is a friendly place to work and would agree to send anyone to apply there. The hours there are somewhat ok but need to have some improvement.
Dead end, survivor job. Dont do it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 25, 2016
I worked in diary department, typical were to refill milk and other diary products. Management would ask you to do petty and unnecessary work all the time. Managers' decisions never line up with each others. Looks very unprofessional on their part. You'll get coached for jut about anything. Good luck showing to work 1 min late!!!!!
Pros
Meeting cool coworkers
Cons
Horrible management. Low pay
can work anytime or partime and can show to work where nobody show for work
GREETER/ PHARMACY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCJanuary 25, 2016
I first worked at Walmart Whitehorse and I find the company is really helping people like me who was new with the culture of people in Canada and I enjoyed it but due to harsh weather in Whitehorse we moved to Merritt where winter is shorter.
working with walmart helped me what the value of living in Canada the workers were nice and there were some who were nice too .. I enjoyed my days working in walmart , made me a better person and able me to helped my family way back in the Philippines..
thank you !!
Walmart - Decent Job - Better than most minimum wage jobs
3rd Shift In-Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
A typical day at work would include dealing with customers, management and associates working aside you.

You will get rude customers, repeating customers and very nice customers just like any other business.Retail isn't the best line of work and isn't a career job unless you plan to move up the management chain. You will learn to manage yourself and deal with all sorts of customers with various personalities and behaviors.

I learned various retail terminology and Walmart practices in retail such as zoning (front-face products), setting up modular's (following a diagram of a new shelf plan for products - usually means moving products around, taking discontinued products off, adding new products), pushing sales, changing end-caps weekly or once the product depletes off the shelf, changing price labels, following the weekly ad, learning to operate the pegasus/talzon gun (different terms used in different companies) to check item location, price, stock and etc. usually whatever functions were available for each associate).

Management at my store changed semi-annually to annually, so we didn't see the same middle management as much. Merchandising managers are above department managers according to our store standards and work directly under the assistant manager and store manager to take care of their departments and other tasks in other departments if needed. They work on paperwork and conduct several to a dozen job duties on a weekly basis. There are some lazy and some hardworking managers. You can depend on some but not certain ones. Assistant management are usually
  more... busy with paperwork and can be rarely found on the sales floor unless a task was at hand.

The store I work at is a core store (no deli, produce) and there are rarely any associates on the floor. There are usually more management than staff on any given morning. Sales floor staff is limited to 1-2 whereas most staff are staffed in needed departments such as fashions, electronics and cash/customer service. Due to "budget" restraints prevents more part-time associates to assist on the sales floor.

The job isn't hard at all. It's only hard when you are mentally frustrated with management's decisions. Everything is easy to learn, it just depends whether you want to do the job or not.

Meeting people is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
2 15 minute breaks, Profit Sharing (Annual), 10% Employee Discount, Diversity, Price Matching
Cons
1 Hour Unpaid Lunch (Needs to be shorten to 30 minutes instead)
Attending to other non-pharmaceutical challenges
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 24, 2016
A typical day starts slowly and steadily. Different people from all works of life. Learn to be patient and friendly and form a team play with other co-workers
Pros
Customers are awesome
Cons
No break
a good place
Night Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 24, 2016
good benefits especially on the business side because you can also earn on their profit sharing and big discount on the in store purchases.
Pros
timely break
It is a fast pace environment. Good people to work for. My manager is flexible and helps with anything that i need
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJanuary 24, 2016
I work majority in the seasonal department. Very fast paced, a constant move of product, relocated and changing product to suit merchandising needs. I am responsible for making sure customers are taking care of, product is full on the shelves. There is a lot of heavy lifting, this includes barbeques, lawn furniture, soil, fertilizer.
I am also able to work in other parts in the store including instock/warehouse, cash, hardware, sports, toys, housewares, automotive. Steel toes are a must because i am always loading and unloading skids.
I enjoy the fast pace of my work, the accomplishment of being able to do every aspect of my job, above and beyond.
Pros
We are paid by the minute
Cons
Short shifts
Duties so far ...
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Scheduled meetings with prospective clients to promote and sell new gym memberships.

Developed and implemented innovative business development and marketing strategies.

Handled client payments and ordered new stock to maintain inventory levels.

Utilized a company database to manage pertinent client records and information.

Headed a team of six employees while leading and supporting various operational aspects.

Pioneered marketing strategies that contributed to a 38% increase in sales.
Communicated with international clients to address matters relating to shipping and pricing.

Negotiated rates with shipping companies after conducting extensive analysis of competitors.

Oversaw financial transactions and currency exchange affairs.

Address customer inquiries and issues relating to store products and services.

Resolve customer disputes/complaints; report escalated issues to management.

Process payments and post debit and credit card transactions.

Accurately maintain and balances over $5,000 in cash per shift.

Ensure that all safety practices and company regulations are adhered to.
Depressing Environment, Good Family Atmosphere
Electronics Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbellton, NBJanuary 24, 2016
During a typical day at walmart one might not feel as they are of much importance. If you are the type who needs to feel they are changing somebodies day in a positive way then walmart is not the place for you. Walmart's customers come to walmart to obtain the supplies they need, they do not often wish to have little to any interraction with you as an employee. To them- you are an employee, not a person.
Pros
Good breaks.
Cons
Depressing
amazing proactive job
Customer service manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
my experience at walmart was unexplainable definitely one of my best jobs i would recommend this job to any retired senior or any high school student looking for some income
I enjoyed the people I worked with but not most managment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 23, 2016
The most fun part of the job was the co-workers and customers. I enjoyed that but I did not like most of the managment. They are unorganized and disrespectful to the employes.