Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,172 reviews matching the search
entry level employment
midnight inventory stock clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 20, 2015
not much to say about working at walmart, it was a short term commitment. i was there about 9 months on a midnight crew, and was part of a restructuring plan to convert a department store into a super store/ grocery store, management is upbeat and knowledgable of most aspects of the job, walmart runs a transparent company which allows all employees to have an insight in the future of their careers. typical work night stocking shelves and signing tunes off the store radio, not much to learn really open boxes take out product and place on shelves in locations with the proper displays above, most enjoyable part of the job, discount on cellular service with the providers they carried, co-workers were mostly kind. hardest part of the job was the low wages.
Pros
indoor steady work
Cons
low wages and mostly part time
was always a rushed jb
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCSeptember 13, 2015
a typical day at work at walmart was rushed and very stress full i was always helping other co-workers while finishing my own work. i learned how to multitask and be prepared for customers, the management was not the best they would always be on my neck about something that wouldn't have been my fault would constantly re write the scheduled which made it hard for school,my co_workers where helpful for the most part but would also get me to do theyre daily activities cause i was the new kid, the hardest part of my job would have been managing my time around alway getting new objectives from management.
Pros
little contest for fundraisers and celebrations of birthdays
Cons
constant scheduled changes
ok
Overnight Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
ok working environment
pay is very less as against the work
job stability lack's big time
bias culture
mismanagement
no time for rec-ruing activities
Pros
Cons
No overtime, less pay/hr, no benefits, bias working culture, HR very weak, NO growth prospects
Flexable hours, Paid Training and ablity to learn diffrent roles
Store Standards Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Good Hours really Great People always willing to lend a hand both mangers and employees were very friendly and Helpful.
Pros
Good hours, good pay raise, good team.
Cons
sometimes customers can be difficult but that happens in everystore.
nice place to work
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
If I am opening (6:30 am) customer service manager, get the podium keys ; podium, and customer service money from accounting office; and print the schedule. Make sure floating money is the right amount. If the amount is less or more, let the accountant knows. Get the news papers and the flowers. Open every cash registers at a time, and get them changes if one needs.
Respond to cashier request, and line management.
What I learned from this position is the power of smile. It does not cost anything, but it makes a big difference.
I along with my co-worker and we help each other. The hardest part of the job is reaching Walmart rewards master card application daily goal, Event hough, each cashier promotes the master card to each customer, hard to hear the yes I would like to apply answer from customers.Management would be disappointed when we don't reach the daily goat. The enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people on daily basis and helping them
Pros
free daily coffee and tea
Cons
not getting enough hours
Fast paced, unorgaized stressful enviroment.
Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONNovember 29, 2015
Management is not very supportive at all. Often talk down to you and show very little consideration towards you as a person. Hours are not flexible and often collide with what you have put down as your actual availability. Coworkers are usually great, we all grew together and learned new things. Many times we'd have many challenges that we'd need to learn to over come together. The job is very routine, nothing every really changes. A lot of drama between the coworkers. You will often be treated as a number rather then a person.
Pros
10% discout card.
Cons
Long hours, none flexible hours, terrible managment.
Managers are spinning and Corporate is unconcerned
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 7, 2016
I learned how to think for myself, how to regulate tasks and how to lead a team mostly through my typical day being the "reliable one" of my department. Management is mostly on the level, but as always favouritism is a problem and some managers and associates were too close and gained too many benefits from such relationships. Furthermore managers often showed themselves to be ineffective at even basic things such as maintaining the schedules and dealing with irate customers, often pawning off those management duties in low-rung associates. That said, the best part of the job was the ground-level staff, they are kind and welcoming and the job itself was quite simple, if unfulfilling.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Management particularly upper management being ineffective
I work with a lot of fun people
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2016
I manage the cashiers and the courtesy desk so I need to make sure that their tills get assigned and their breaks are done. I make sure that we keep the lines moving and I override prices for the customers when they say the price on the shelf is cheaper. I make sure that the cashiers have change and make decisions on returns being done with out a receipt. I love working with my co-workers as we have fun while doing our jobs. The hardest part is when we are running short staffed but I do everything I can to make the line ups move quickly. I have respect for my manager and managers of the other departments. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking with customers as we have a lot of regulars that come into our store.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Customers coming in 5 minutes before we close to do their shopping.
Brantford Walmart - Awful place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Brantford Walmart night shift. Worst possible place to work. Management have no clue how to run the night shift. They strictly rely on rats who sneak around the store, spy and spread vicious rumours about employees. Night management favours these few employees by taking very long brakes and giving them the easiest jobs. Those employees who do not meet criteria of management, are persecuted and centered out.
Female managers think everyone and everything in the store is their property. Everyone is treated like children.
Brakes are called only when manager feels she wants to go out in front of the store. It's ridiculous. And if they don't get their way, they trow a tantrum.
My 5 year old daughter is more mature.
Their child like behaviour is tiring and unacceptable.
Horrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor work conditions, poor wages.
Great organization with lots of potential for growth.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
10+ years progressive experience working in a retail environment. Proficient in overseeing store operations and achieving set goals, understanding marketplace needs and strategies needed to drive sales and ensuring proper merchandise presentation. Successful track record of controlling store expenses to maximize profitability. Effective skills in payroll planning and scheduling. Hands on experience in change management within growing retail landscape.

WORK EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead employees

• Proven ability to hire, select and train the right candidates

• Able to meet retail sales goals

• Excellent communication skills

• Results driven approach

• Good organizational skills and the ability to multitask
Pros
compensation
Cons
no worklife balance
Walmart Canada
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2016
Usually i would come to work and go straight to m department sometimes their would be a skid with stuff that you need to put out and if their isn't i would have to zone the department , clean and also cash out customer

Some of my co workers work very hard and some don't but most of the time i just focus on me instead of what everyone else is doing

I think that the most hardest part of the job is having to deal with the not so best customers and trying to do whatever you can to make them be in a better mood

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is making customers happy and being treated like family by managers and your coworkers.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Not enough people working in high shrink departments, managers being flexible with students going back to school
Safe and productive work environment
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Staff was very easily to get along with
Management was very fair
I learned quick and efficient skills in handling sales
Hardest part of my job was the constant busy days, very few slow days.
Yet that was the most enjoyable because it always kept me working and occupied.
benefits
Cons
low staff
Minimum wage retail Job
Overnight Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 14, 2016
First off I love to merchandise so as an overnight merchandiser, then manager I was able to pursue my passion. That being said company actions towards employees is what you would expect of any large corporation. The trouble that arises there is exactly the same problems you would run into at a fast food place or even a wine store.

Walmart does try to provide for their employees some additional benefits, they aren't as beneficial as one would like, but I've worked for companies that do less.

I enjoyed my time with my crew and will miss working with them.
I would work for them again given the opportunity.
Pros
yearly bonus, benefits for all employees, flexible scheduling
Cons
cut hours in winter, some unreasonable expectations for employees
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work required providing great advice regarding electronic products and excellent customer service. It required being able to multi task between helping out multiple customers and still managing to keep the store tidy. I ensured that the clients felt welcomed as soon as they entered the store. I processed payments and completed various other transactions on the P O S system. I was also responsible for the store inventory. Management was great. They never failed to respect me as an employee and always made sure I could come to them if I needed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people I met every day, some of which became regulars and friends.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours as per what I was looking for
Great enviroment to work at walmart. Co-workers were great people to work with! There was plenty to learn from them and everyone was helpful.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABAugust 11, 2016
At Walmart i had the opportunity to grow with my career there. I enjoyed the raises and the advancement of my career in retail. The enviroment was friendly and the people were great. I had the opportunity to advancement only three months after starting my job due to my long hours and hard work i put into my area. i also volunteered my own time while working there when we were fundraising. The hours were good and i was able to work monday to friday so i enjoyed my weekends.
Pros
I loved all the raises! never have i worked at a place where i got 3 raises in one year.
Cons
I had alot of stuff to get done with too little time and not enough workers.
cool job with great perks and even better experience
overnight stocker (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 22, 2016
a typical day of work is heading there at 11:00PM and pulling out all the stock from the back, organizing it to what aisle it goes into and then putting it on the shelves. i learned to use a pallet jack and also how to work better with others. management switched up alot, from the time i worked there i had many different managers so it got a little confusing. The co-workers were great and i still call many of them friends to this day. the hardest part about the job is being awake all night and missing out on "normal" people stuff like being awake during the day. what i most enjoyed about the job was the opportunity to do something different and feel like my work had meaning.
Pros
kind co-workers
Cons
odd break times
First Job experience.
CASHEIR (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCNovember 25, 2015
I personally didn't have the greatest experience working at Wal-mart. I found that the management wasn't at all how they make themselves out be during the orientation. Although it wasn't always terrible, the employees are very nice, the friends I made at this job are great people, we always made the day worth while. The beginning pay wasn't all that great. I'm glad for this job because I learned how to communicate with other people a lot better, it taught me to be less shy. The hardest part of this job was having to deal with rude customers, or angry customers.
Pros
Free food (occasionally)
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, bad management
Average work - Few real issues.
Store Standards Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 23, 2016
The work asked of myself as a custodian/store standards associate is not difficult by any means. Cleaning the floors and public spaces is necessary and, while not stimulating or glamorous, is something I am able to take pride in - seeing the extreme differences of the state of the store from the beginning of my shift, compared to the end.

My coworkers both within store standards and other departments are respectful and professional - while still being easy going and friendly.
Pros
Overnight Premiums
Cons
Few benefits
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate - Bakery/Produce (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Working at Walmart was a great experience. The staff is very hard working and overall and good team spirit. I learned that hard work pays off in a team environment, it is self satisfying and when your teams is part of this, you can't get better. The hardest part of the job was that the schedules tend to change but overall, I think management worked with each of us to ensure a balance was achieved with respect to getting the job done but also a respect for us as individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had a respect for one another which really created a happy work environment. It was nice to go to work each day.
Pros
respect for employees, lunch and beak facilities
Company that you can GROW with!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTAugust 28, 2016
I have been with Walmart since 2009. As like anything, had ups and downs, but would recommend to anyone looking to get into the retail world. Walmart offers you SO many opportunities both at store level as well as at Home Office and in other countries as well. Walmart is all about being ahead of change, and therefor as a Manager, you need to be out in front leading this change. It is a company that moves fast and likes to end up on top, therefor you need to have that same Go-Getter attitude! It is a thrill each day, and each day is completely different from the day before. Its a company that taught me all that I know about how to be the best leader and stay that way. Rah rah Walmart!
Pros
GROWTH opportunity
Cons
Turnover