Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,757 reviews matching the search
Productive work place.
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  keel and finchFebruary 9, 2016
It is usually a pretty busy place to work. There is always something to do. Interacting with Customers which is one of my favourite part of my day. Most of my co-workers are interesting and good people to work with. We try our best to work as a team and bring a positive attitude to our department. The management could be improve a little bit but overall it is good. I Don't feel i have a very hard job because i like being active and busy doing things. I like the fact that its a busy environment.
Pros
Enjoy being busy the entire shift.
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCDecember 9, 2015
My only negative remarks about Walmart are:

1. Favoritism
2. Poor chance of advancement
3. Have always felt if employees are treated well, their performance would be above expectation.

I worked day shift for some time then transferred to overnights (which I worked until I left and relocated back to the Mainland).

There were alot of reports to do, depending which department you worked in, but that was never an issue. I learned alot from my time at Walmart - operating cash register, taking inventory etc., My previous employment was 30 years in operations of a trucking company running between Canada and the U. S.
Pros
great group of employees
Cons
salary not paid according to one's performance
No work/life balance
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 29, 2015
Management team has no regard for associates lives, especially younger students, expecting them to work 25 plus hours a week while carrying a heavy school load. Team of managers are disrespectful, arrogant, and do not appreciate those that work hard. From personal experience, as an assistant manager, my fellow assistant managers frowned upon me trying to accommodate or work with students to find a suitable balance. Worked 70+ hours a week, doing multiple assistant roles with no compensation. It is now all about trying to make as much money and sales and profits by cutting wages and doing as much work with little support. A lot of negative attitudes, every man for themselves, while others are not held accountable.

Takes forever to advance in company as excuses are always made as to why one is not ready for promotion. Dysfunctional or non existent teamwork and no appreciation for a job well done. 90% of the time, assistant managers walking around with hands in pocket, barking orders, and then sitting around in office ignoring associate and duty manager calls.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Disrespectful managers, ridiculous hours
Terrible
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2015
The job was ok I like hard work but the work environment is toxic. The management is bad working nights and they kept people on who couldn't handle the job. One of my coworkers on my team was caught sleeping over 3 times and was never fired.

The other issue was repairs. When I was hired we were all a new team and the equipment had been broken and misused by previous workers. Because the previous staff had messed around with the electrical and mechanical components of the floor cleaning equipment the warranty was voided and management would not pay to fix things. It was very frustrating to see one piece of equipment break down and not have it fixed so we could do our jobs.

I had to mop the store by hand for about a month this could have lead to injury because of the sheer size of the store.
Pros
nice co workers
Great Co-workers
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2016
Job is fun, lots of experience to get. Management needs an overhaul and there is a lot of politics. But for the most part amazing associates.
Pros
On Hand Experience
Cons
Low pay, small benefits
entry level employment
midnight inventory stock clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 20, 2015
not much to say about working at walmart, it was a short term commitment. i was there about 9 months on a midnight crew, and was part of a restructuring plan to convert a department store into a super store/ grocery store, management is upbeat and knowledgable of most aspects of the job, walmart runs a transparent company which allows all employees to have an insight in the future of their careers. typical work night stocking shelves and signing tunes off the store radio, not much to learn really open boxes take out product and place on shelves in locations with the proper displays above, most enjoyable part of the job, discount on cellular service with the providers they carried, co-workers were mostly kind. hardest part of the job was the low wages.
Pros
indoor steady work
Cons
low wages and mostly part time
Walmart is a world class retailer
operations manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 12, 2015
Walmart is a progressive organization that continually changes to reflect the needs and desires of the local retail market. Working at Walmart had its challenges in dealing with a wild range of different cultures and geographic areas, and ensuring that the client needs were fulfilled.

It is aggressive in cost cutting, and the bottom line mentality is promoted at every level, Each associate is response for ensuring the optimal customer experience, At times work conditions were hard with dead lines, but the team and personal relationships made up the negative aspects of the firm.
was always a rushed jb
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCSeptember 13, 2015
a typical day at work at walmart was rushed and very stress full i was always helping other co-workers while finishing my own work. i learned how to multitask and be prepared for customers, the management was not the best they would always be on my neck about something that wouldn't have been my fault would constantly re write the scheduled which made it hard for school,my co_workers where helpful for the most part but would also get me to do theyre daily activities cause i was the new kid, the hardest part of my job would have been managing my time around alway getting new objectives from management.
Pros
little contest for fundraisers and celebrations of birthdays
Cons
constant scheduled changes
great people, issues with management
Bakery sales associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Walmart was a very interesting place to work with great people. however their is a huge communication barrier between management and the associates. I have requested time off countless times only for it to be completely ignored along with my availability. They also had a big issue with people calling in sick and countless employees have been written up because they were sick.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, no communication
Very easy going. Great people & great customers!
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Prince Edward IslandMarch 11, 2016
A day at work was never a dull moment at Walmart. Everyone liked to laugh but there was a good time and place for those moments. If your work was getting done, you could have a laugh while you were getting there. I don't think I ever remember having a bad day here. Open door policy, you have a problem with anyone? Tell your boss and it'll be solved. I had one once and only once. After that, the person I had the problem with become a very close friend. Great and fun place to work. Id go back in a heart beat once again. But I'd still prefer shipping and receiving!
Pros
Great people, happy environment, promotions, the list is endless!
Cons
What cons? I can't think of any.
Fast paced, unorgaized stressful enviroment.
Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONNovember 29, 2015
Management is not very supportive at all. Often talk down to you and show very little consideration towards you as a person. Hours are not flexible and often collide with what you have put down as your actual availability. Coworkers are usually great, we all grew together and learned new things. Many times we'd have many challenges that we'd need to learn to over come together. The job is very routine, nothing every really changes. A lot of drama between the coworkers. You will often be treated as a number rather then a person.
Pros
10% discout card.
Cons
Long hours, none flexible hours, terrible managment.
Productive work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Sign in at front desk, open procedures, intercept customers about phones. Management is decent, District Manager was phenomenal. Learned sales targets to a degree, even though targets were set for some areas being way too high. Would recommend employment to other sale target oriented job seekers.
Pros
Incentives to meet sales goals
Cons
Long hours on feet, sales goals were out of reach for demographic areas
First Job experience.
CASHEIR (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCNovember 25, 2015
I personally didn't have the greatest experience working at Wal-mart. I found that the management wasn't at all how they make themselves out be during the orientation. Although it wasn't always terrible, the employees are very nice, the friends I made at this job are great people, we always made the day worth while. The beginning pay wasn't all that great. I'm glad for this job because I learned how to communicate with other people a lot better, it taught me to be less shy. The hardest part of this job was having to deal with rude customers, or angry customers.
Pros
Free food (occasionally)
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, bad management
ok
Overnight Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
ok working environment
pay is very less as against the work
job stability lack's big time
bias culture
mismanagement
no time for rec-ruing activities
Pros
Cons
No overtime, less pay/hr, no benefits, bias working culture, HR very weak, NO growth prospects
fun people but bad management
Cashier/customer service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 16, 2016
The people i work with are great. its just management that is terrible and there is no advancement opportunities. Low paying. They do a good job of training there new people though. a typical day at Walmart would be talking too some friends but generally just doing your job.
Pros
great people work here. some free lunches
Cons
low paying bad management
Over all a good company. Different form store to store management
Store Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BCFebruary 17, 2016
People are really good. Lots of change and new programs all the time. Very Busy never board.

Shift work even for management. Very little work life balance. Hard to get time off for personal events.
Pros
good people, always learning new things.
Cons
little work life balance. Terrible schedule
It is what you make of it
2ND SHIFT INSTOCK ASSOCIATE/ SALES FLOOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day of work is being given way to much work to accomplish in during your shift. Don't ask for days off because you won't get it. They say family oriented place, not even close. If you wish to go far in this company be prepared for some of the worst days and nights of your life. Management loves to play favorites and i you are not one you will go no where in the company. They say the more you know the harder it is to replace you. This however is the exact opposite. The more you know the more they want to replace you. I would never go back to this company when thy want something from you, you better do it, if you want something from them don't even ask.
We always celebrate our success moment with our management team.We have music program.dance.exercise and we have common lunch room where we everyone
Customer services/Cashier (Former Employee) –  jane and wilson,toronto.onMarch 9, 2016
I always enjoy my work.Good time or bad time I always try to balance it.I learned how to face with difficult time and solve the problem with perfect way,learned how to helped my co-worker when they are at danger point.I always try to manage my time, and each work should be at perfect way with high level of management.My co worker always they are part of my family if some of them don't like me but I always try to be good,helpful and positive mind.When Customer is not happy it's the most hardest part for as a Customer Service representative.My most enjoyable part is when my customer become happy and hug me.I always enjoy deal with customer.They are my God and my work place is temple.
Pros
we are multicultural group, all equal.every occasion there are free lunch for all associate.
My review for walmart
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMarch 6, 2016
Now I worked at Walmart for about 5 days, most of the staff are friendly and are good people, but some of them are just drama and if you were to do something that they didn't like, even if you just start. As i did, they won't care... Some won't but some will drag it on and complain about it all day, and at the end of the day... That's what got me fired, cause I was checking a time that someone was in, and one co worker thought I shouldn't have bin there, but i have every right to, tried to explain that to her... She thought I was trying to skip my duties at work or something, But i was just checking in and she dragged it on and start saying things behind my back to other co workers... In my opinion, the managers were rude, co workers are drama, and just and overall not a good work environment.
Pros
An hour (paid) break
Cons
Bad co workers
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 7, 2016
Typical day - front end cash
Learned - flexibility
Management approachable
Co-workers are very helpful
Hardest part of job - standing basically in stationary position from 6-8 hours per shift
Most enjoyable part - interaction with customers
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Long hours standing