Walmart

Walmart Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Constantly Changing
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 1, 2014
Wal-Mart had good co-workers and moderate management. Learnt how to operate a computerized cash register. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday. The hardest part was standing the majority of the shifts. Good way to start off your career in the work force.
Could've Been Great, Awful Instead
Claims Associate (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 1, 2014
Pros: associates are usually nice
Cons: managment is usually awful, wage is fine but overall salary is almost worse than nothing
- I have made more friends working at Walmart than any other company. The people who work there are a unique blend of personalities from all walks of life. Management is more of a mixed bag, but the ones who are good are great. Management will set the tone for your experience with the company. Good, personable managers who care for their associates – more... are priceless, and each one will quit or start stealing from the company because they get paid as badly as you do. Bad managers think they're good managers, except that everyone they talk to is miserable for some reason. A bad manager will last forever, unless they get caught stealing because they get paid as badly as the good managers.

- The wage is usually competitive to your local market. What they won't tell you, however, is that they will do anything in their power to keep your hours low. This keeps you from earning much of anything, and keeps associates as far away from the word 'Overtime' as humanly possible. The lunch break is an hour for this very reason. I ran a department alone that requires one full-timer and one part-timer to keep up, and I did it on part-time hours. I requested more hours, even offered to sign a waiver stating I didn't want benefits just money. Their suggestion was that I pick up shifts working the front tills, as though there wasn't 40-hours a week worth of work piling up in my department I could've been dealing with instead.

- "Associate Appreciation" events are laughably bad. The annual 20% coupons are worthless because even with $120 knocked off the top you won't be paid enough to afford a Dyson vacuum. My store's co-manager regaled us with a story of how he once saved $0.20 on a Snickers bar because he didn't want to waste the coupon but couldn't afford anything else as an hourly associate. This year though, he said, he was gonna get a big TV or an Xbox. Probably both! He wasn't sure. They'll occasionally attempt to make you feel good about your job by leaving deli meats and store brand soda in the break room. The meat is billed to an associate appreciation fund paid into by the company each time we sign people up for a mastercard, and the soda usually comes from the claims department (split cases, dented cans, etc). The annual profit-sharing check is calculated by blind goblins in a dungeon in Arkansas, and they wait until the absolute last possible second to finalize the amount. People are almost never sure if they qualified for the check, if their store qualified at all, and even if they are they have no idea how much it will be. It's functionally no different than receiving a scratch card in the mail that says '9/10 cards are winners!' but 8 of them only win a cheeseburger from McDonalds. – less
Fun workplace with respectful colleagues and interesting customers.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: the self-satisfaction of helping a truly appreciative customer
Cons: no full time availability
Walmart was a fun and relaxed work environment, management and colleagues are respectful and courteous. While working at Walmart I learned a lot about people interaction and how best to deal with sticky situations. The hardest part of Walmart is dealing with those 1 in a 100 crazy shoppers, which I'm sure all of us have seen at some point, you need – more... to maintain a cool and level head and just do your best to defuse the scenario. My favorite aspect of my past Walmart experience was the satisfaction i got from a job well done and the appreciation I felt from the customers I served. Working there for 4 years or so I really felt like a part of something special, I'd have my regular customers who became more like my friends. – less
Terrible work environment, messy management
Instock Employee (Former Employee), sudbury ontarioDecember 1, 2014
If you'd like to work at a place where you are regarded as "selfish" as well as "destined to failure" for carrying emergency sugar in the form of a granola bar, due to the fact that you have TYPE TWO DIABETES, go work at walmart.
not a good place
photographer/ Assistant (Former Employee), bramptonNovember 30, 2014
If you are a motivated sales person and can grow a book of business with a great company culture - this is the place to do it. Yes many prospects are taken but if you are creative and willing to put in some additional effort, you can make six-figure earnings within the first 3 years.
Awesome workplace
Inventory Stock/ Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 30, 2014
Enjoyed coming in to learn something new each day, pharmacy staff was amazing.
salary was not good at all.
That walmart management was unprofessional but the Pharmacy management was fine. Excellent job in managing his team members in pharmacy
Great Place Of Work
Night shift (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 29, 2014
This was one of the best atmospheres to work, Love the way the treat there coustomers, and make them feel at home and welcome.
Good starter job
Customer Service Desk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2014
Pros: easy work
Great place to work, it teaches you lots of skills and great for new to the work force individuals.
It's okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orangeville OntarioNovember 27, 2014
Cons: short shifts
a typical day is stressful. Management team doesn't know how to manage their store in a postive way. Enviroment is very negative.
Meeting new people and make new friends
Cashier (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABNovember 27, 2014
not I place I would consider working at again. Not enough ethic in the job place
it was fun
Lead Hand (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 27, 2014
new and interesting things every day
overall it was fun and very fast paced
a great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Orangeville, ONNovember 27, 2014
much cashier work and was trained on the customer service desk. Also claimed defective products
mover
Customer service, Cashier, Warehouse (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 27, 2014
Love this place sad i had to move. Very good place to work at. good guys i had to work with but then i had to move
Two Sides to Every Coin...
Associate (Current Employee), Carleton Place, ONNovember 26, 2014
Pros: reputable company, steady work, stable job conditions
Cons: low wage, very low chance for advancement, uneducated and unethical management
Walmart is an interesting work environment. Through the hiring and training phases, it seems like a great place to work (for minimum wage that is). It is only after one starts to look to further themself in the company that the problems start.

The managers generally are only self serving and favouritism is rampant. Despite being over qulaified for – more... positions, I was always denied possibilities for advancement due to one small issue. The issue was always different and it was never brought up before they gave me the results of the interview.

I would never recommend anyone work there, unless its just a desperation job. Or if you are will to be a massive brown nose you might be ok. I notice several employees who rise above the rest of the associates due to their relationships with management. – less
Fun place to work
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Kirkland QuebecNovember 26, 2014
Job entailed managing all cashiers, customer service associates, cart pushers and people greeters.
strenuous, unorganized, repaetitive
Overnight Baker/ Stocker (Former Employee), Orillia, ONNovember 25, 2014
Worked late night and long hours
was poor organized and managed
was left to figure thing out on own often
not all protocols were followed
fun job
nice emoployees
No benefits until full time and can never have full time
Customer service (Former Employee), ottawaNovember 25, 2014
Unstable hours and not great pay.I did not like working there because it feels you are a number and not a hard working employee
stressful, Wal-Mart is all about money, no their employess
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 25, 2014
I went in at 11pm and started to put the stock on the shelves we were open 24 hours than so helping customers as well when they came into my department, I learned how to deal with cranky customers in a claim manner and help them find what they are looking for to the best of my ability. All my co-workers were great to work with we had a lot of fun.
Not a good and safe environment to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCNovember 24, 2014
Pros: 10% discount card
Cons: management is terrible
Like any jobs, some days are good days and other days are bad days however most days working here are bad. Management does not worry about you as a person only how you benefeit the company.Lots of the fellow employees are wonderful to work around but other that them there is nothing good about working here.
Fun place to work
Sales associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2014
The work place is fun and safe. We all get along great as a team. Large amount of responsibility.

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more