Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,847 reviews matching the search
Minimum wage to work in an environment lacking motivation and room for growth
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 29, 2016
• Repetitive and mundane .
• How to handle certain loading and unloading equipment, like pump trucks.
• Management was demanding as opposed to encouraging, except for 2-3 exceptions.
• Co-workers were helpful when I was learning the job.
• Being motivated to complete tasks in an uninspiring work environment, surrounded by a majority of co-workers who feel the same way.
• Met some co-workers that I connected with.
• Did not learn or improve upon any transferable skills.
Pros
Got paid, kept me busy
Cons
Poor management, minimum wage, poor working atmosphere
Very unorganized workplace. No structure.
Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was not typical in any way. I never knew from one minute to the next if I was going to be able to complete my task at hand before I was told to leave it and go onto another. Once pulled from said task, the manager that had originally put me on it would come yelling at me as to why I didn't finish what he asked before moving on to present task. It was all very stressful and there was no way in those conditions, to do my job to a satisfactory level. I felt I was being purposely pushed out due to my physical disabilities that made it hard to place me during renovations.
Pros
great fellow employees
Cons
worst manged store I've ever seen.
Productive environment with great resources
Produce Stocker (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, ABApril 28, 2016
My day consisted with the interaction of the pharmacy/optical teams and store management team. A typical day would be to coach, teach and review operational and financial activities.
On my store visits I would include interacting with the staff and providing direction on merchandising and professional issues.
The enjoyable part of the job allowed me to be independent and interact with the many people that worked in the front store and other departments.
The hardest part of the job was to try and visit more stores on a regular basis due to the geographic size of the district.
Pros
Great solid company with good values.
Cons
heavy lifting
Overall a good employer with opportunities for advancement.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden HorseshoeApril 27, 2016
Pros
Great solid company with good values.
Cons
Long hours, but managable.
Titles and routine
Walmart - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 26, 2016
Overnight Electronics Associate, 2009-2010
Renovation Team Associate, 2010-2011
Sports (Hardware, Automotive, Pets and Paints) Associate, 2008-2008
Customer Service Associate, 2007-2008
Lady’s wear Associate, 2006-2007
Every job at Walmart is pretty much the same. Show up, find out what you need to do for the day from your manager (because everyone has one) Then do the list of things given for the day. there was high turn over and not a lot of room for socializing.
Pros
1 hour lunchs
Cons
10% discount
Good place to work if you can be patient with customers.
Hardlines Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work is putting toys back on the shelves and re-organizing them to make the products easily accessible to customers. Will also include being frequently called up to the front cash registers to cover breaks and help out when it is busy.
The hardest part of the job is the customers, but it is also the most enjoyable part. People can get extremely frustrated at you over things you have no control over. However, some customers are really grateful after you help them, which is definitely nice.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Days feel repetitive.
Safe and respectable work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2016
Day starts by walking from clocking in, to the tilt which you will be in for rest of the day. Greeting co-workers and customers just showing a little appreciation. One of my favorite thing is learning new experiences, skills and mass general education. As a wal-mart cashier, I learned it's difficult to sell master cards to customers and also learned, people don't know what they want till you give them a idea of it. managers didn't treat the employees like robots, they had a relationship with them. enjoyable part of the work is working with well developed individuals that help you grow each and everyday.
Fun people to work with but lackluster management
Store Standards / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONApril 20, 2016
A typical day for me is pretty much bringing in carts my entire shift as they never have more than one store standards on at a time.

At Wal-Mart I learned to get out of my comfort zone and to be less shy.

The management lack in communication as well as not following threw with what they say.

All my co-worker at Wal-Mart are great, almost everyone worker is a joy to work with.

The hardest part of my job was having to do multiple jobs not in my job description at the same time while having to do my own job as well.

The most enjoyable part of my job is all the people I work with and get to meet.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Bad communication
Productive work place and excellent working eviroment
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
My day starts 7.am to 3.30.pm. First thing is to check my email for any updates. Then I print my daily's paper work and open claims report. Next is to work on return merchandise from customers. Attend morning meetings at 9.am, go for 15 minutes first break.
After break, I get my UPS, Purolator and ATS parcels ready for pickup. Back to the office faxing and calling vendors for return authorization number in other to finalize my claims. 12.pm - 1.pm I go for Lunch.
After Lunch, I work of product returns and defective merchandise till closing.
A secure and flexible work envirnment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Agincourt, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would include constant customer service interaction that ranged from aiding the customer in locating what they are looking for, to maintaining pleasant conversation, to finally taking in store compliments, as well as taking affirmative action to remedy the situation when compliments do occur. I learned to development great people skills as well as maintain an exceptional work ethic at all times of my shifts. The best part of the job is the constant interaction I experience with customers. I am able to meet incredible new individuals daily whilst still maintaining an appropriate work demeanor.
A chanlleging job
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 30, 2016
Co-workers are very nice and extremely fun to work with.
Work can be challenging some time.
Challenging: Memorize and get to know all kinds of fruits and we have different customers to deal with everyday.
Also, we workload that we are facing is huge and we have to have a good time management and this is always the toughest part in a job and as well as in life.
In addition, I get to learn and try out some produce products and it benefits me for the rest of my life.
However, due to management, budget on associates hours were cut and running of the department is very tough.
Walmart (5995 Steeles Avenue East) produce department is now a part of Al Premium Food Mart since last year.
Pros
Employees discounts
Cons
Working can be lonely some time as you are the only person in the department
Productive and good team
Cashier - Part time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2016
I believe its was a great experience to work at Walmart,
Walmart has great team and I enjoyed joining them , the work was very good especially with different customers espcailly when some people need help and I enjoyed to express love and care for them ,I love customer service so I enjoyed it a lot, learned all cashier operation , scanning , memorizing the codes , its was a perfect job, and I loved tit
Very fast pasted
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABApril 16, 2016
Walmart is a popular clothing store, so the work was fast pasted, I liked this about Walmart.
I learned how to delegate and manage cashiers. I also learned how to balance cash registers.
Management was great, but busy with their work.
My co-workers were fun and a great support
The hardest part of the job was having to run around from one end of the store to the other. ( The super centres are huge.) and the clean up after closing the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people.
Pros
Meeting new people, management and co-workers
Cons
Running from one end of the large super center to the other and closing clean up
Working as a sales associate
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 16, 2016
Working as a sales associate has many perks compared to a cashier. Breaks were very flexible and could work around other co-workers. I was able to move around my department area freely, unlike a cashier who must be at their cash register at all times. While working in my department, I would bring out stock from the backroom and empty them out. Then I would create labels for each item so that later we could record what was put out on the shelf. I enjoyed putting the items onto the shelf, it was very relaxing and calming.
Pros
Flexible breaks and hours
Cons
Sore back and feet
easy job but over whelming
cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 23, 2016
I started off as a cashier and really liked my job, mostly cause I was good at it. But being a cashier at Walmart sucked cause we were mostly under staffed most of the time or it would just get really busy all of a sudden. so customers would get mad at the cashiers when its not really our fault. my mom liked the discount cause we'd get like 25$ off a shopping trip for food.
Pros
discount
Cons
long days
Productive work place
OTC HBA/Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
typical day consists of tidying/stocking shelves, assisting customers with finding products, operating a cash register. Learned layout of departments in store to assist customers in finding products or found an associate in that department to assist customers. Found management approachable to answer inquiries and worked as a team with co-workers. Found the hardest part of the job was losing a good team member. It was most enjoyable helping customers finding the products they needed or checking when it would be approximately received at the store.
Pros
hand a nice lunchroom to relax in during breaks
Cons
not enough lockers to lock up valuables
A productive and fun job.
Night Shift Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 12, 2016
A typical day involved Stocking Shelves and ensuring the area was cleaned afterwards. After we were done with the job, we sent the boxes to the garbage compactor to be crushed.

I learned good teamwork skills at Wal-Mart, as well as honing my organization skills. Heavy lifting was a big factor on the job, too; due to the many boxes I had to lift.

Overall I found the job to be pretty productive and fun at times. I would definitely be up for doing a job similar to it in the future.
Overall not a good place at all
cashier (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 23, 2016
I learned basic training from other associates while the managers basically threw me to the sharks, most associates are very nice but there is definite favoritism in the building without a doubt. The hardest part of the job was showing up every day without crying, managers treat people very poorly unless you suck up to them.
Pros
McDonalds is in the same building
Cons
Literally everything else
work life balance is Non- existent
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  kemptivilleApril 10, 2016
The Company has fantastic core beliefs but I have found they have been lost in translation at store level, hours are expected above and beyond job description. I have worked with exceptional managers that often did not receive correct recognition often very political vs, talent. Lack of job security, you no longer can feel safe knowing that you are doing a good job its based on politics
Pros
great peers
Cons
poor manager
Productive and consistant work environment
Customer Service Specialist (Dairy Department) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed by time with Walmart at its Belleville, ON branch. While their I was trained in matters pertaining to customer service and adherence to strict government regulations in regard to safe food handling practices.

Overall I would say my time with Walmart was a positive experience.
Pros
Profit sharing, good hours, flexible schedule, regular office events.
Cons
Customers can be unpredictable.