Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,537 reviews matching the search
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 January 2017
I can get to work at least 30 minutes before start time. I check voice. like to meet my staff early, check mail and the calendar, then plan my work and meetings.

Walmart is very big company and taught me lots of new stuff. like how to manage other department while your busy managing your own.

Cooperative management and co-workers

Sometimes it's hard to balance between being friendly and keeping on task.

team work, individual work, proving myself to be good at my job, getting good appreciation from my seniors
Pros
Freindly
Cons
Long Hours
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 August 2016
A typical day at work required providing great advice regarding electronic products and excellent customer service. It required being able to multi task between helping out multiple customers and still managing to keep the store tidy. I ensured that the clients felt welcomed as soon as they entered the store. I processed payments and completed various other transactions on the P O S system. I was also responsible for the store inventory. Management was great. They never failed to respect me as an employee and always made sure I could come to them if I needed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people I met every day, some of which became regulars and friends.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours as per what I was looking for
Meh!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON13 January 2017
I was employed by Walmart for 3 years. In that 3 years I applied for numerous advancement with no luck!
I had medical issues and because I was part time, I was forced to leave my position.
Pros
Competitive Salary
Cons
Terrible Hours, No Opportunity for Advancement
My experience at Walmart
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON24 November 2016
I have worked here for 2 years and have seen the best and worst, Walmart has to offer, in my experience here at Walmart I have a few things to say.

1. If you work hard you will be rewarded, however you must make sure it is noticed, working hard behind the scenes reap zero benefits.

2. Try to change areas often, if you get comfortable for too long you'll wind up stuck in that department, unless you enjoy your work, mix it up.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Only if you're managers favourite
Great organization with lots of potential for growth.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2016
10+ years progressive experience working in a retail environment. Proficient in overseeing store operations and achieving set goals, understanding marketplace needs and strategies needed to drive sales and ensuring proper merchandise presentation. Successful track record of controlling store expenses to maximize profitability. Effective skills in payroll planning and scheduling. Hands on experience in change management within growing retail landscape.

WORK EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead employees

• Proven ability to hire, select and train the right candidates

• Able to meet retail sales goals

• Excellent communication skills

• Results driven approach

• Good organizational skills and the ability to multitask
Pros
compensation
Cons
no worklife balance
a company that is in constant change
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON4 October 2016
a company that is constantly changing its structure and re-organzing management. leadership and company directives change all time which make it difficult to learn and grow.
Pros
salary is competitive
Cons
long working hours, lack of staff
The company is understanding and takes care of their employees.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON2 September 2016
Is very diverse in culture, and pays good money. The managers and staff are easy to be around. Do not give many shifts but when given shifts, they are too long. Walmart does not work out the employee's break times well and they are rushed breaks.
Pros
nice management
Productive Workplce
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 August 2016
Walmart is great when it comes to training you and its great to university students. If you do your job well there is room for advancement in the company. I've been working there since last year and I have already been trained for courtesy desk. The staff from the supervisors to the employees are great. Management is very professional yet friendly. A typical day of work is being on a till for 3-4 hours and being on courtesy desk for 2 hours.You learn how to multi task well as well as the supervising staff is great at helping you with anything you may need.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Selling the Walmart mastercards
Excellent Starter Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON22 September 2016
I was a cashier who worked well with coworkers and management.
Many opportunities for advancement. Hardest part of the job was work life balance and low salary.
great place to work for first time hires.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC31 October 2016
The management team is the best in this work place; they can be understanding and helpful. The team of workers they have for each section is amazing in their own way.
Pros
benefits are awesome, they celebrate birthdays, the managers are really understanding
Cons
to get the benefits at walmart you need to be a full time worker, sometimes they are under staffed.
PT Cashier / Customer Service Specialist
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2016
To be honest, I've been here for the past 2 years and it was a great job at first but, then it just went downhill after management rotated around and the managers were not all that friendly and lenient with what you needed. The discount was hardly anything unless you bought something extravagant and, as well as asking about the WRMC was annoying at times too.
Pros
Long hours, 10% Discount, Profit Sharing
Cons
Lack of Communication with Management
Overnights at Walmsrt
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2016
A typical shift begins with a lackluster attempt at moral through reading sales stats. Staff is clearly divided between objective oriented and clock watchers with no reward or consequence for being either. More motivated workers end up supporting those on constant break, just-not-to-be-found or in many cases, sleeping.
I understand minimum wage is not going to inspire 110% every shift but managment could keep on top of this to prevent constant attrition of their better performers.
Pros
cliques of staff bond quickly
Cons
poor work-life balance, poorly trained supervisors and managers, little chance at promotion
Fast paced and process driven.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
Great company to learn and get a feel for how retail can be fast paced, competitive and process driven. I was able to obtain skills in business plan development, budgeting, great people skills working with all walks of life and cultures. With so many different avenues of business operations with other companies I was able to create a lot of great working relationships with vendors and merchandisers.
Pros
Always ready to change to be a competitor
Cons
Advancement is becoming very difficult within the company
Productive and fun place work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB26 December 2016
> Opportunities for growth
> More to learn
> Option for transfers
> Save money live better
> Helpful management. Except immigration cases.
> Work life balance. Enjoy working at walmart.
Pros
Free Coffee, Busy schedule, Respectful
Cons
Less discount for employees (Only 10%), Rarely hire outside for good position, more focused on internal recruitment, pay for Dept. Mgrs not really good
Good job for anyone especially students or first time jobs
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 November 2016
Been working with Walmart for 3 years. I find the job good and fun to work with others. Job is not hard easy to work the tasks being asked. Friendly environment. Easy to take time off when needed. Wage is pretty good with raises every year. Also can get a profit share depending on sales.
Pros
Friendly working environment, can usually get any time off requests
Cons
Dont always get profit share
Horrible Work Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2016
A typical work day at Wal-Mart was not the best, the managers at the one that I worked at were always gossiping about others all the time, when it would be time for your break they wouldn't relieve you, completely strict rules that would jeopardize your employment, they were ALWAYS talking about how you can get fired, not how you can advance and then they fired me 3 days before my probation period ended.
Pros
Free food sometimes, love the customers
Cons
Horrible hours, horrible management, horrible experience overall
Engaging and fast paced
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2016
Working with 280 associates in a fast paced retail environment that consistently exceeds all company goals and expectations. Customer service is paramount and the number one focus of each and every associate day in and out. A true engaging environment has caused a decrease in shrink and increase in sales and profitability. Leadership engagement + associate engagement = customer satisfaction
Pros
salary
Cons
work life balance
great staff
Automotive Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS12 September 2016
great staff to work for fun job, got to work multiple deparments but the bad thing is is their policies, if you work hard easy to get raises and advance withing the company
Pros
good breaks and holiday hours
Cons
not many hours after the holidays
A place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 November 2016
Not much for advancement, unless favored by management. Work hard to get not very far sadly. They did for the most part, accomodate a schedule with having a child
Productive but poor salary increase
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 November 2016
There's a lot of work, so getting bored is definitely not in the picture. you'll learn a lot at first but work we'll be just repetitive after a few months. Some co-workers are hardworking at first then becomes lazy when the work doesn't fit the salary. Management is fair. The most enjoyable is break times of course.
Pros
free food sometimes
Cons
unfair evaluation