Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 5,701 reviews matching the search
Bonuses and great people
Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON24 June 2017
Always evolving to meet customer needs. Providing up to date training which is always beneficial. Hard workers who are dedicated to their jobs. Walmart is a great community supporter and has donated millions to various charities.
Pros
Good benefits and great people
Cons
Some long days but not many
enjoyable role/bad management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS24 June 2017
Benefits and pay as a salary manager was great. Though I lost my job through restructuring, I still enjoyed my role and the roles I had getting there. I did find the way the layoffs and secrecy behind them was unjust and disrespectful to the staff that have worked there. Many for years.
The last management team I worked with was a hateful and unenjoyable crew. No one worked as a team, it was a very lonely place to work as a salaried manager. The store manager was a very nasty person, and did not like to see anyone get a head. She was spiteful and just a down right witch.
Pros
benefits package and discounts
Cons
management team
Great place, bad hours
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2017
Although the environment of Walmart Superstore is great, the hours they have available for part-time works are terrible. With only 10 hours a week, it feels as if I will need a job that sustains more hours a week.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Only weekend shifts available
nice place to work
Operations Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 June 2017
its a really good place to work at. I am working in this place from last 6 years and it is really good to work with such a great management team . i will recommend this place to everyone.
Ok Place to work or start out
cashier, but mainly the electronics department (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL23 June 2017
Wal-Mart has given me some good interpersonal skills and has made my customer service experience one I can use for my future employers. I would work here again.
Pros
good experience
Cons
part time only in my area. Low pay for hard work
Interesting work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON23 June 2017
At Walmart, you don't learn any skills that prepare you for any other jobs (excluding similar stores) but the benefits of working there are pretty good. A 10% discount off of any item and benefits may make the job seem more attractive.
Pros
Benefits and a 10% discount
Cons
Long hours, hard work, old employees
A good place to start
Photo Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
I really enjoy working at walmart, all the mangers are extremely respectful of the associates and willing to accommodate student availability. I have learned communication skills and gained patience from dealing with customers over 4 years.
Pros
Nice managers, good availability accommodation
Cons
lower wage.
The Retail Career Store
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 June 2017
When you work in a Walmart store there is so much that always needs to get done.

So very quickly it's taught that whatever it takes to get the job done, as long as it's being done safely, is good enough for Walmart.

Working in Walmart Store(s) over the course of my career has better prepared me for the work place. It gave me the opportunity to understand company culture and appreciate when it's there. It has probably over prepared me for any customer interaction I could ever have in the future.
Great co-workers, great part-time student job
Electronics Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON22 June 2017
A typical day in the electronics department would include stocking shelves, assisting customers, cleaning the department, and working in the photo centre. Specific days were used for doing mods (relocating DVDs for new releases, and relocating regular products).

This job taught me how to work in a team environment, as well as how to remain collected and focused in a busy and fast paced environment on days such as Black Friday and Boxing Day. It also teaches you how to sell products to customers that are not certain about the product they came in to buy.

The management changed a lot, managers got rotated and replaced fairly often it seemed. This can be good for exposing the worker to different management styles.

The workplace culture was fine for me, the co-workers were nice for the most part. I found that the amount of break time you get is much higher than that of other jobs (7+ hour shift gets you two 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour unpaid lunch, all breaks are mandatory).

The hardest part of the job would probably be just dealing with rude customers, but this can sometimes be unavoidable. Other than that, the tasks in the electronics department are usually straight forward, and some days it can even get boring back there when you are all caught up with your work.
Pros
Lots of break time, easy tasks
Cons
Can get boring, unpredictable customers sometimes
Always something to do
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 June 2017
It is an organization that allows you take ownership of your career. There is always something to do to become better and deliver results. There are resources all around you to support your learning and career path.
Poor
Front Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 June 2017
Treated like a commodity, coworkers are great, but managers fail to address worker concerns. Hours are not always there. Good for short term employment, but not for a long term place of work.
Minimum wage job, minimal room for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON22 June 2017
Working at Walmart is a job, and not much more than that. It's a minimum wage job with not much room for advancement. What makes working at walmart enjoyable are your coworkers. Too much is expected out of workers while only giving minimum wage and due to this a camaraderie is built between the bottom associates.
Pay is poor, managment is poorly organized but the people are nice
Dairy Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 June 2017
All that stuff that was stated above only stressing that the amount of employees is small and it hurts the overall production in the day making night guys have to care twice the workload
Pros
Met the girl of my dreams there
Cons
She tore my heart out
A good learning experience
Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 June 2017
I worked as an electronics sales representative which required a basic knowledge of everything in the department as well as working in every other department in the store. I learned how to process photos, activate cellular contracts, sell ammunition properly, help people find the plants that they need and how to use a cash register.
Pros
Very good learning opportunity
environnement de travail agréable
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint-Georges, QC21 June 2017
Je travaillais au laboratoire photo et j'ai adoré ça.
decent place to work
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2017
As much as people hate on Wal-Mart it's actually not a bad place to work, mind you the pay is on the low end, I worked in the automotive department and was either helping customers, stocking shelves or conducting oil changes.
Do your job, don't steal and don't instigate altercations with irate customers and your pretty much set.
Pros
work environment, lots of support when needed.
Cons
part time, odd hours, lots of mandatory availability for part time hours
Ok Employer
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia20 June 2017
No real room for advancement, but it is a job, and it pays money. Not much money, but better than nothing, I guess. Management is generally clueless though.
Productive, tiring place to work
Merchandise and Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 June 2017
Management was very horrible. You get enough breaks so that's a plus. Always needed to work both days of the weekend. You can't book off any days during the busy blacked out days.
walmart review
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 June 2017
Walmart is an okay place to work. They give you the hours you want/need, but also give the option to get more hours. I think there is a need for new management along with the changes that are happening. Telling employees that they should quit their job, and give long, hard talks for sometimes hours on end about "productivity" should not be happening. On multiple occasions I found myself leaving work in tears because of how we are treated. For the first 6 months none of my supervisors knew my name and barely acknowledged me.
Pros
great hours
Cons
managment
very unorganized and too many supervisor/managment on in a shift and not helpful enough.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB20 June 2017
When I worked at Walmart I found there were too many management staff on that where very helpful when store was busy but rushed us. I was one of the top 3 cashiers who worked quickly with a 100% balanced cash drawer on every shift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.