Walmart
48,893 reviews

Walmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 28, 2015
I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Once the learning period was over, I got into the job. I think I'm a natural cashier. It was difficult to deal with some customers at times, but there's always someone there to help.
Celebrate events
Grocery Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 28, 2015
I was happy to note that Walmart celebrate the event of each culture. They arrange free food and greetings on such occasions. The working environment was so friendly
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 26, 2015
Pros: Meeting people on a daily basis
Cons: Not enough hours to keep working there
I worked there a short time, sometimes the work was hard and the was never anyone to come and help when needed. The management were all about show.
Fun Workpalce
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), 100 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ONJune 26, 2015
• Maintain and restock inventory
• Provide customer service
• Operate computerized cash register system
8 Hour shift either morning or afternoon
Great people, Ego tripping managers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2015
Managers were egotistical, were trying to make you do jobs which you were not being properly compensated for (front cashiers make more an hour at that time) and when I have done the favour many times for them i was not compensated for the extra pay when i was acting as a front cashier from a sales floor associate.

Tried to be coached when i refused to be a front cashier without proper compensation, and was sent home when i refused to sign the coaching paper. Quit 2 weeks later.
Working at Walmart is great.
Department manger (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 25, 2015
Walmart has delightful environment wich one can nurture , expand your strengths and career opportunities. working there has been one the few highlight of my life.
Management and Appreciation
Cashier (Former Employee), KitchenerJune 25, 2015
I loved interacting with customers, being at work was a pleasure most of the time but management wasn't really caring about their employees when time off was needed which resulted in resignation. They were not compassionate if time was needed for school or family, they made you work, which resulted in more resignation. But when we received a new store manager than became better, she appreciated the employees more, with food, drinks, and snacks in the break room, she was more appreciative.
Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABJune 25, 2015
Cons: 7 days in two off did not like or the favortism
This may not be applicable to all Wal-Mart stores this is only based on the one I worked for. Most of the customers were good but a few very nasty. I personally had to walk away from more then one. I did learn cashier work there, customer service desk, counting tills, doing charge orders and western unions customer service desk. As for the co-workers some worked hard other did not, the ones that worked hard had to pick up the slack for the others. Some of the management were good others not so good. Supervisors same thing. I will honestly say when I first started working for the company in 2001 I really enjoyed it. But the last years not at all.
Walmart has a lot of benefits and has a culture of fairness. If you want to succeed there is a lot of opportunity for advancement.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), OntarioJune 24, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: work/life balance, old technology, unfair expectations across similar roles
There is not a lot of work/life balance once you reach upper management. There is a lot of pros to working with such a large company and there is also a lot of cons.
mature work area, i was working a lot of older people
3rd shift stocker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: lack of training
i would start my shift at 11:pm 3 days a week and i would be off work at 7:am. i worked in produce and had to restock everything. what Ive learned from this position is to be more self motivated because i was working by myself every night. the hardest about this job is trying to stay awake during breaks.
A good place if you are just looking for a few hours.
Cashier (Former Employee), St Johns NlJune 23, 2015
A typical day at Walmart was pretty fun and most of the people who worked there loved it and wanted to stay except the management was not very good it was there way or the highway even if they were wrong they would not listen to anyone that would be the only downside but other then that it was all in all a good experience the pay was good the customers were awesome and the employees are great.
Unorganized, unfriendly staff with little to no care for customer service.
2nd In stock associate (Former Employee), Prince Rupert, BCJune 23, 2015
I worked at Walmart briefly during the summer and quit for school. I did not feel that the management really cared about the staff, or anything really.
Fun and engaging place to work. advancement within the company is something they take pride in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lab City, St. John's, Mount Pearl, Clarenville, NLJune 23, 2015
Pros: advancement within, Great Wages, benifits.
Cons: work life balance is about the only con I could even think of.
For 12 Years I worked with Walmart Canada, and I would still be there but things changed in my personal life that made me make the hardest decision in my entire working career. This company is a leader in the retail world and I would recommend anyone wanting to have a career to work here. I would go back tomorrow if i had the opportunity to do so.I have worked in 5 different stores during my time at Walmart and have made life long friends in each of them. that's the one thing that Walmart has. Many people make a family and Walmart has done that.
Not a great job
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), PeterboroughJune 23, 2015
Cons: Long hours, Min wage.
Typical day:
I was an overnight stocker, I'd come in at 11pm and go up to the break room for a bit, we would have a pre-shift meeting at the front of the store wit the 25 overnighters, managers would state any deals for the week, what positions we all were and we would go to our departments. Go upstairs for breaks, and do the same thing until 7am.

Management:
Management was nice at first, they welcome you with open arms and help you out alot, atleast for the first couple of weeks. After about 2-3 weeks of being on the job and being fully trained it becomes obvious who the favorites to the – more... managers are. They are given the easier jobs, get more leniancy, etc.I am sure this is not at every walmart as I have heard other positive stories.

Co-workers:
Much like the management they were warm welcoming , I worked with a lot of older workers, I am 22 and was the 3rd youngest on the 25 person crew. Unfortunately the morale was at an all time low. Some of the older guys would joke about "living the dream" and complain daily about how much they work for how little they get paid. Only connected with 2-3 co workers because everyone was always tired and miserable.

Hardest part:
Managing a social life while working overnights, and getting time off. I tried to book 3 days off for my brothers wedding around 2 months after I started working and it didn't get approved, I had to call in for 2 of the days because I was in the wedding party which resulted in me getting written up.

Most enjoyable: – less
It was a fast paced working environment
Store Standard Associate (Former Employee), Guildford MallJune 23, 2015
Walmart is a fast pace working environment. Customers service is highly valued and top the priority of the store. A typical day at work is when I do more exceptional job to customers.
Good experience overall
Specialist (Former Employee), mississauga, ontarioJune 22, 2015
Working at wamart was a good experience overall. Besides some political type issues which are common for such a large company which i believe is the only thing wrong in my time there, this company pays well, gives you time for family if you are not at a higher level, but requires hitting very tough goals. I would recommend them as a good employer.
Great Place to work
Cosmetic Department Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 22, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Very Busy
Keep Department clean and order all stock. Very busy Department. I liked working for the company. The staff was great and our store when we first open was one of the best. Our Store Manager at that time was a Very nice man and a Great person.
Most of the people are good to work with
Department Manager (Current Employee), Prince George, BCJune 21, 2015
The most enjoyable thing about working here is the people I get to work with. Management can be a bit overbearing and hard to please.
Very well managed
Stock, Maintenance, Cart boy (Current Employee), Longueuil, QCJune 21, 2015
Pros: Good hours, breaks
Cons: can be very repetitive
They are very well managed. They offer very flexible hours to my student life and they value the employees and always make sure that the employees' hard work is appreciated.
productive and fun place to work at
Overnight stocker (Former Employee), clairview superstore Edmonton, AlbertaJune 21, 2015
I really enjoyed working for walmart, the coworkers were down to earth the setting was nice and it really help me learn alot about the retail industry first hand.

1 2 3 4 5

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more