Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,550 reviews matching the search
Lots of learning experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON4 January 2017
I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have the experience as working as a cashier for so many years. I think communication is key and that was never my strength before working at Walmart. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people there because they become family. The hardest part of the job was doing so much work for barely any income.
Management and co-workers become family so it's easy to trust in people
Pros
Flexible with availability
Cons
annoying customers ruin your day
its challenging and fun to work with, there's always free snacks
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB9 January 2017
Working with the company is enjoyable, challenging and much to learn, you learned to be patient, resilient , and respectful at all times , the management is great in dealings with employees giving clear instructions before the start of the day on a day to day basis, co-workers always observed company policies avoiding any kind of discrimination, there's no part of the job that is hard enough to do for as long as you are enjoying it. over-all its great experience to work with such kind of company.
Always Productive,Knowledgeable and great team work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sagehill NW Calgary11 January 2017
With Walmart Everyday and even every moment is to learn something. This is the most important part of any job if you always learn new things day by day. Walmart gives a lot of opportunities to their associates and the best thing is the environment in which you work alone and in a team as well. the most enjoyable thing is to cooperate each other to help the customers and customer service is a great opportunity to learn things in a great way.
Awesome employers, with friendly coworkers, overall great work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 January 2017
I would usually start at 6:45 opening the store, clock in/out, get my assigned register, count my till, change the papers, put cash bags in all registers, put out new merchandise, greeted customers, cleaned conveyor belts, pushed for walmart mastercards, cashed out customers.

Learned how to use a different type of cash register than what i was used to, how to properly bag groceries

management was great except for one occasion which is also the reason i no longer work for walmart

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers, they were friendly and always helpful

The job was relatively stress free
Pros
Lots of hours, Plenty of time for lunch
Busy, productive environment with emphasis on holidays
Part-Time Accounting Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS5 January 2017
Enjoyed my time I spent with this company. Was always treated with respect and dignity. Working with numerous nationalities of co-workers is educational and informative. Seeing how other cultures live is interesting, especially enjoying their variety of cultural food items. Excellent customer care is important to this organization.
Pros
wide variety of personalities
Cons
minimal hours
A very caring workplace.
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC26 December 2016
I love working at walmart, my co-workers and managers are like family, we are all very close and always have a lot of fun while working together.
however, working at walmart is terrible as a cashier due to customers. SO many horrid customers. I have been sexually harassed, verbally abused, and bullied by multiple customers, and this occurs every shift. There is nothing management can do because of how many customers are like that, but feels very degrading whenever i work.
Pros
Built close friendship
Cons
innapropiriate harassment
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 January 2017
I can get to work at least 30 minutes before start time. I check voice. like to meet my staff early, check mail and the calendar, then plan my work and meetings.

Walmart is very big company and taught me lots of new stuff. like how to manage other department while your busy managing your own.

Cooperative management and co-workers

Sometimes it's hard to balance between being friendly and keeping on task.

team work, individual work, proving myself to be good at my job, getting good appreciation from my seniors
Pros
Freindly
Cons
Long Hours
Walmart is Okay
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Alberta11 January 2017
Walmart has its ups and downs. The best part by far is all the amazing people who work there. If your looking for a fun environment I highly suggest it. However, that being said it is hit or miss with the management team. There are very few who actually care about you and the work you do. Others, do not care about your life outside of work, they don't care about outside factors that impact your work or what implications there are that prevent you from your work. All they care about is that things get done, but do not expect help from them.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Wages and Hours are sub-par.
lots to always do and be working on, fun people to work with, 10% discount,
Baker (Current Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB11 January 2017
Wal-Mart is a fairly easy place to work. The people there are in general are friendly and easy to work with. Teamwork is fairly normal in this area of work. I am constantly doing something and this job can be very high pace. I enjoy always having something to do at this job and being able to keep busy. The management i find can at times be impersonal and uncaring towards employees. There are zero benefits and i domt agree with how much waist there is at this business but other than that it is a good and friendly place to work.
Pros
10% discount, good people to work with in general
Cons
impersonal and poor managment
Great team
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NS12 January 2017
A typical day at work involved:
 Helping customers find the right product.
 Stocking shelves using inventory from the backroom.
 Zoning shelves, arranging and modifying displays.
 Using Telxon barcode scanner to manage inventory and check stock.

I learned how use a Telxon barcode scanner.

Management were a upbeat and helpful group.

My co-workers I got know as friends and we worked together as a unit or team with everyone helping each other out.

The hardest part of the job was being responible for half of the store or more at once.

The most enjoyable part of the job was staying busy and having wonderful co-workers.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Very large store to cover
Enjoyed most part
Cashier / Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 January 2017
Working for Walmart was more difficult. When you apply and in the interview process they ask the hours, days and times you are unable to work. I was always scheduled in to work days and times that I was to be in school. I would then need to switch shifts with a co-worker and then they were frustrated with me because I would not keep my own scheduled shift. It was also hard once they had change shift managers.
Pros
great co-workers. lots of experience
Cons
scheduled you in hours you were unable to work
Walmart wasan acceptable place to work. Management was fair, and the employees were nice.
Fort St. John, Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC31 December 2016
Walmart, like many places had its problems between the employee's like many places across Canada. They mostly had small communication errors and the occasional mistake in orders that slowed down the work load quite a lot. For the most part it was a well working place and if you asked someone for help they may or may not help you depending on the condition their department was. I always tried to help out whoever asked for it if I was available.
Pros
You always had something to do, be it cleaning, stocking, or interacting with customers.
Cons
Very often most departments were either missing people, or had hardly anyone employed at all.
Surprisingly passionate about their jobs
Floor associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 December 2016
Working at Walmart was not what I expected. I loved the people I worked with. Some days work was slack, other days it was hard. However, you were always appreciated for the work you had done. Job security was good and unlike other places that ran on seniority, at Walmart you could move up in your position based on your performance not number of years you were there.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
sometimes unreasonable customers
High Pace, good Co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 December 2016
Back when I worked here, it had it's up and downs, which people would expect at Wal-Mart. Co-workers are your friends there, your crutch, because the customers that come through Wal-Mart aren't all bad. However the bad ones are the loudest and rudest people I've ever met that act like children if they don't have their way.

Management did what they could and tried to utilize the staff a lot, which can end up stretching the staff very thin.

Hours however were also dished out very sparingly, expecting you to try and pick up shifts from co-workers.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
No Hours, Rude Customers
decent job sometimes but alot of things rong with the place
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON7 December 2016
a typical day at work is going in at 5 am. cleaning and stocking the fruit before the store opens and everyday we were assigned different tasks on the daily planner. i learned how to work under a lot of stress working there. the management i wasn't to fond of . quite selfish sometimes. my co workers were the best part of working there. hardest part of the job is just you got to lift all shift long witch still wasn't that hard for me. the best part of the job was working with people i loved working with .
Pros
discount card
Cons
poorly paid for the amont of work you do
Great atmosphere.
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 December 2016
Everyone was so friendly there. My day at work was ordinary, helped customers as needed, fun in the lunchroom. I learned a lot on safety and how to deal with certain customers. Management was great, they helped when needed and complied to most of my requests. This job, there really isn't anything hard about it, learning new things probably. The friendly faces is was made my day great everyday.
Pros
They would have free food sometimes in the lunchroom.
Cons
Minimum wage, few hours.
i was a jack of all trades there
Store Standards (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC5 December 2016
most of the day i had to push cart manually cause the "cart pusher" broke down month before i started, i have noticed i was not built for working outside at that time so they ended up training me for cashier, but they always needed carts so i didn't do it often.

it was hard to understand some co-workers due to there accent.

Management did there job but i didn't see them alot

the hardest part was pushing carts up hill in the summer.

i enjoyed working as a cashier mostly due to me not being outside.
Pros
10% off card in wallmart
Cons
low pay
it was a great experience getting to bond with customers and other workers and to get a 10% discount on items that you buy
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB7 December 2016
you get a 10% discount card for items you buy

some of the managers their are really nice

you usually get stuff for a cheaper price than what it normally is when they have auctions to bid on the stuff
Pros
octions to get stuff for sale for cheaper than it normally is
Cons
if you are working alone some managers expect you to get everything done in one day
Good workplace and friendly associates. Store standards position gave me alot of responsibilities and always had a job to do.
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB4 December 2016
Wal-mart was a good job i enjoyed the work and the people along with it. I was always busy from my regular duties or from another employee in need. I had many responsibilities from my main duties collecting carts and relocating them inside, to maintaining the cleanliness of the store. Other responsibilities would require me to help another associate in his or her department if needed.
Pros
Always busy. Had great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours. No benefits.
Day in the life
Grocery Home Shopping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 December 2016
- Pick and process customer grocery orders made online and send assigned company trucks out to other locations to scheduled meet delivery times
-Some things I've learned in this role is different aspects of the business such as the logistics and I.T
-The management team is fair and easy to work with and we have a solid working relationship
-great group of co-workers to work alongside
- The most challenging part of the job would be the early start time (5am) but it is necessary to meet the needs of the business
- The most enjoyable would be the people I work with as they are excellent individuals who I have exchanged ideas with and learned new things from
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Early start time