Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,403 reviews matching the search
Decent Job for a student
Cashier, Cosmetics, Fashion & Jewellery Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 November 2016
Management sucks. Even when you get prior approval for days off they mark you as absent, best thing to do is take a picture of your signed request form. Department mangers also pawn their work off on you, duty managers are to demanding and force you to complete work in other departments you are unfamiliar with, and they play games of favoritism. You basically have to bribe them to get your vacation time.
Pros
Decent starting job for students
Not worth it
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 November 2016
The job isn't worth the wage they pay. They we're cutting job left and right to add them to other job description thus making it feel like you had two job yet only one and still paid minimum wage. The manager WILL write you up for the slight miss step and don't you dare take a sick day they'll write you up regardless that you are sick or not. You don't get benifits and have to fight to get hours.

The only enjoyable part of the job I had was I was able to talk to a lot of people and had team to work with otherwise the job gets repetitive real quick
Pros
Team, Social
Toxic Work Environment
Store Standards (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 November 2016
At Walmart there are hard working employees and people that take great pride in doing a great job and going above and beyond for the customers.

Unfortunately all of their hard work goes to waste when you have have poor management. No rules are enforced, so when other employees are plainly not doing their job, the work load gets forced upon the hard working.

Plain and simple, this is not an employer that values it's employees. it does not value hard work, at the end of the day they do not care about you even if you are trying to make the store better.

Workers beware you're in for poor treatment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management, Hard work is punished rather than rewarded.
Horrible environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
I'll start with the only pros. You get a good salary and 3 days off a week.

Now for the cons. There is no room for advancement. It's all about who you know not what you know. The management would always push targets but never follow up until the end. They would never listen to others opinions or ideas and if theirs failed if was everyone else's fault.

If the entire management team was replaced it would be a good place to work. Since that will never happen stay away from this place.
Pros
Salary
Mixed
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 November 2016
I found that the people I worked with were very diverse but Walmart is definitely it's own community. The main issue was that the management, particularly the upper management, the were determined to hold themselves apart and above those that worked for them. The constant treatment of any employee as disposable, in the words of one of the upper management "Just bodies to fill spots that the computer generated systems says are needed." That was the most difficult part of working there.
Great atmosphere.
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 December 2016
Everyone was so friendly there. My day at work was ordinary, helped customers as needed, fun in the lunchroom. I learned a lot on safety and how to deal with certain customers. Management was great, they helped when needed and complied to most of my requests. This job, there really isn't anything hard about it, learning new things probably. The friendly faces is was made my day great everyday.
Pros
They would have free food sometimes in the lunchroom.
Cons
Minimum wage, few hours.
Great store to work at. Management is great to work with.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON1 December 2016
At Walmart a typical day is getting right to work on the floor Walking through fashion what needs to be done such as making sure things are organized and presentable for the customers. Helping customers with their questions and concerns is a huge part of the job. Its important that they have they are helped and that they have a good shopping experience!
Pros
Having Christmas Lunch
Cons
Not enough staff. We need more people. The staff are spread too thin.
Good job for developing my skills in receiving and stocking products
Night Receiver (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 November 2016
In a typical day as the night shift receiver i am responsible for all deliveries which include bread, milk, eggs, chips, pop ect. Making sure the back room is clean and up to Wal Marts standards. Stocking shelves, maintaining communication with management on deliveries are also part of my job. I have a good relationship with my co workers , and management does their best to provide support and training when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing i got all my tasks done correctly and safely each night. The worst part of the job is the difficulty in moving upward in the company.
Pros
free muffins from mcdonalds on thursday
Cons
communication
Decent job, rude coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 November 2016
During my time working at Walmart I experience some friendly coworkers but also came across some rather rude supervisors that were not on top of making sure their fellow coworkers are okay and slacking when cashiers are calling for help. Not only that, they talked down to everyone and never sent anyone on their breaks on time, they would have a habit of sending people on their breaks sometimes two hours late because they didn't organize the breaks properly according to when each cashier had started their shifts.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Long hours, rude supervisors, late breaks
Great management, Positive environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON16 November 2016
Honestly one of the best places i have worked at. i love my job there they give out decent amount of hours. great if your a student or an adult, if you have a problem they will help you solve it. the salary is on the lower side but its not supposed to be a high paying job, overall its a great job for hours and pay if your a person trying to make some money and i would definitely recommend them.

The typical day at work is serving customers,working with other employees, and keeping a clean work space

co workers there are extremely friendly and amazing to work with, they will be there when you need help and they are lots of fun to work with.
High Pace, good Co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 December 2016
Back when I worked here, it had it's up and downs, which people would expect at Wal-Mart. Co-workers are your friends there, your crutch, because the customers that come through Wal-Mart aren't all bad. However the bad ones are the loudest and rudest people I've ever met that act like children if they don't have their way.

Management did what they could and tried to utilize the staff a lot, which can end up stretching the staff very thin.

Hours however were also dished out very sparingly, expecting you to try and pick up shifts from co-workers.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
No Hours, Rude Customers
My experience at Walmart
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON24 November 2016
I have worked here for 2 years and have seen the best and worst, Walmart has to offer, in my experience here at Walmart I have a few things to say.

1. If you work hard you will be rewarded, however you must make sure it is noticed, working hard behind the scenes reap zero benefits.

2. Try to change areas often, if you get comfortable for too long you'll wind up stuck in that department, unless you enjoy your work, mix it up.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Only if you're managers favourite
working as a team player was fun
Overnight Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 November 2016
I gave 100% to my job. I worked with Walmart for almost four years then I was told by my doctor I had to find a different line of work because it was affecting my physical health. There was a lot of heavy lifting and bending which brought back a health issue that I received while pregnant with my youngest child. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and management team.
Pros
there was light duties offered if injured
Cons
wasn't able to see my family as much as I would have liked to
Good workplace and friendly associates. Store standards position gave me alot of responsibilities and always had a job to do.
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB4 December 2016
Wal-mart was a good job i enjoyed the work and the people along with it. I was always busy from my regular duties or from another employee in need. I had many responsibilities from my main duties collecting carts and relocating them inside, to maintaining the cleanliness of the store. Other responsibilities would require me to help another associate in his or her department if needed.
Pros
Always busy. Had great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours. No benefits.
i was a jack of all trades there
Store Standards (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC5 December 2016
most of the day i had to push cart manually cause the "cart pusher" broke down month before i started, i have noticed i was not built for working outside at that time so they ended up training me for cashier, but they always needed carts so i didn't do it often.

it was hard to understand some co-workers due to there accent.

Management did there job but i didn't see them alot

the hardest part was pushing carts up hill in the summer.

i enjoyed working as a cashier mostly due to me not being outside.
Pros
10% off card in wallmart
Cons
low pay
decent job sometimes but alot of things rong with the place
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON7 December 2016
a typical day at work is going in at 5 am. cleaning and stocking the fruit before the store opens and everyday we were assigned different tasks on the daily planner. i learned how to work under a lot of stress working there. the management i wasn't to fond of . quite selfish sometimes. my co workers were the best part of working there. hardest part of the job is just you got to lift all shift long witch still wasn't that hard for me. the best part of the job was working with people i loved working with .
Pros
discount card
Cons
poorly paid for the amont of work you do
Day in the life
Grocery Home Shopping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 December 2016
- Pick and process customer grocery orders made online and send assigned company trucks out to other locations to scheduled meet delivery times
-Some things I've learned in this role is different aspects of the business such as the logistics and I.T
-The management team is fair and easy to work with and we have a solid working relationship
-great group of co-workers to work alongside
- The most challenging part of the job would be the early start time (5am) but it is necessary to meet the needs of the business
- The most enjoyable would be the people I work with as they are excellent individuals who I have exchanged ideas with and learned new things from
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Early start time
it was a great experience getting to bond with customers and other workers and to get a 10% discount on items that you buy
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB7 December 2016
you get a 10% discount card for items you buy

some of the managers their are really nice

you usually get stuff for a cheaper price than what it normally is when they have auctions to bid on the stuff
Pros
octions to get stuff for sale for cheaper than it normally is
Cons
if you are working alone some managers expect you to get everything done in one day
Walmart, is what it is.
2nd Instock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 November 2016
Working for the epitome of 'massive retail conglomerate' you definitely get what you would expect. A very large company, where you can virtually disappear, not knowing the majority of your co-workers and even some managers. In the 2nd Instock crew much is expected of you, and though its constant manual labor, its simple, and if you have a good crew around you it can be a lot of fun and a great environment.
Pros
low effort, low expectations
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Day at Walmart
Produce Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
I worked in the produce department at Walmart and I enjoyed it. I would start the day by first going to the lounge and saying hi to my coworkers and managers. Then you go to the department and pretty much stock the fruits and vegetables and assist customers with whatever they needed. You also had to keep it clean and take out the garbage and a variety of other chores. Overall it was fun when you and your coworkers are joking around and are getting everything done. It was not to straining on your body and the managers and supervisors treated you kindly. In an 8 hour shift we got two 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch.
Pros
Lively environment, good coworkers/managers, good work pace.
Cons
Unpaid lunch, occasional salty customers.