Walmart
49,067 reviews

Walmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was okay for the most part
Stocking/Produce Associate (Former Employee), Thornhill, OntarioJuly 1, 2015
Pros: good family type setting
Cons: not the best management
I worked in the produce department, I had past experience in the department. I worked for longos before working here, and this is why they gave me a chance. I was able to prove myself fairly quickly. This job revolved around stocking shelves on the sales floor and answering customer inquiries. As for co-workers, I only had 3 others working with but the way the schedules worked, the department would only have one person closing the department at night time. The hardest part of the job was having to clear out a trailer of new deliveries every night on my own and having to stock it in the cooler, while still tending to customer needs on the sales floor. The best part of the job was the fact that for the most part employees were friendly with one another, and were able to help out in different departments (although it was not a part of their job description.)
Productive and effective workplace
Customer service specialist (Current Employee), Winnipeg,MBJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at work always start with new excitement and new expectations. I had learned a lot about workplace culture and expectations. A best example of ideal management which is good in everything.Most enjoyable crew till this date to work with them.The hardest part of the job is carrying heavy stuff sometimes but otherwise there is nothing to do hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work according to customers wishes and management expectations.
Great team to work for
Back office (Current Employee), AlbertAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Flexible, room for advancement, paid vacations, and excellent store manager
Cons: Low pay
Yes, the pay is not great, BUT, being a single mom of 4 children, I have to say the support and understanding I get from my co workers is unbeatable. I feel that the flexibility I have to be a mother first makes up for the low pay. If my kids are ill, the management understand I have to stay home to take care of them. Without repercussion.
I have worked a job in the past that I was written up for missing time due to my children. And the stress was not worth it. When the kids are sick, you can't take them to daycare. And not having family around to help means I have to stay home. I love the management at Wal-Mart for allowing me the freedom to be there for my children and not feel like I am in trouble for it. If your dedicated and work hard for your team, they will work just as hard and be dedicated to you!

And what retail place do you get hired on that you don't have to work weekends? Even banks are open weekends now!
great place
Cashier (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJune 30, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: nothing
great company alot of potencial to move forward with in the company excelent management great discounts at all walmarts excellent hours and schedules great people to work with
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 30, 2015
Learned a lot about retail, what great customer service is about. Management was pretty chill. I enjoyed the fact that I got to interact with my mangers daily. The best part of the job was the interaction I had with customers, and being able to provide them with the best customer service possible.
productive place to work
Vision Center Associate (Current Employee), Ajax, ONJune 29, 2015
Pros: 10% employee discount
Cons: Very low pay
At Walmart you interact with great variety of people. very interracial. busy, busy and busy
My co-workers are very dedicated.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with peoples behaviors and many demands.
Flexible work schedule; long hours; room to grow
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 29, 2015
Overall, Walmart is a great place to work for part-time minimum wage workers. They offer flexible scheduling, although some days can have very long hours like on the weekends, room for advancement with any store, multiple job openings, the management team is sometimes professional depending on who you come in contact with on a daily basis but otherwise friendly and willing to help.
Good people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 28, 2015
I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Once the learning period was over, I got into the job. I think I'm a natural cashier. It was difficult to deal with some customers at times, but there's always someone there to help.
Celebrate events
Grocery Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 28, 2015
I was happy to note that Walmart celebrate the event of each culture. They arrange free food and greetings on such occasions. The working environment was so friendly
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 26, 2015
Pros: Meeting people on a daily basis
Cons: Not enough hours to keep working there
I worked there a short time, sometimes the work was hard and the was never anyone to come and help when needed. The management were all about show.
Fun Workpalce
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), 100 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ONJune 26, 2015
• Maintain and restock inventory
• Provide customer service
• Operate computerized cash register system
8 Hour shift either morning or afternoon
Great people, Ego tripping managers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2015
Managers were egotistical, were trying to make you do jobs which you were not being properly compensated for (front cashiers make more an hour at that time) and when I have done the favour many times for them i was not compensated for the extra pay when i was acting as a front cashier from a sales floor associate.

Tried to be coached when i refused to be a front cashier without proper compensation, and was sent home when i refused to sign the coaching paper. Quit 2 weeks later.
Working at Walmart is great.
Department manger (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 25, 2015
Walmart has delightful environment wich one can nurture , expand your strengths and career opportunities. working there has been one the few highlight of my life.
Management and Appreciation
Cashier (Former Employee), KitchenerJune 25, 2015
I loved interacting with customers, being at work was a pleasure most of the time but management wasn't really caring about their employees when time off was needed which resulted in resignation. They were not compassionate if time was needed for school or family, they made you work, which resulted in more resignation. But when we received a new store manager than became better, she appreciated the employees more, with food, drinks, and snacks in the break room, she was more appreciative.
Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABJune 25, 2015
Cons: 7 days in two off did not like or the favortism
This may not be applicable to all Wal-Mart stores this is only based on the one I worked for. Most of the customers were good but a few very nasty. I personally had to walk away from more then one. I did learn cashier work there, customer service desk, counting tills, doing charge orders and western unions customer service desk. As for the co-workers some worked hard other did not, the ones that worked hard had to pick up the slack for the others. Some of the management were good others not so good. Supervisors same thing. I will honestly say when I first started working for the company in 2001 I really enjoyed it. But the last years not at all.
Walmart has a lot of benefits and has a culture of fairness. If you want to succeed there is a lot of opportunity for advancement.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), OntarioJune 24, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: work/life balance, old technology, unfair expectations across similar roles
There is not a lot of work/life balance once you reach upper management. There is a lot of pros to working with such a large company and there is also a lot of cons.
mature work area, i was working a lot of older people
3rd shift stocker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: lack of training
i would start my shift at 11:pm 3 days a week and i would be off work at 7:am. i worked in produce and had to restock everything. what Ive learned from this position is to be more self motivated because i was working by myself every night. the hardest about this job is trying to stay awake during breaks.
A good place if you are just looking for a few hours.
Cashier (Former Employee), St Johns NlJune 23, 2015
A typical day at Walmart was pretty fun and most of the people who worked there loved it and wanted to stay except the management was not very good it was there way or the highway even if they were wrong they would not listen to anyone that would be the only downside but other then that it was all in all a good experience the pay was good the customers were awesome and the employees are great.
Unorganized, unfriendly staff with little to no care for customer service.
2nd In stock associate (Former Employee), Prince Rupert, BCJune 23, 2015
I worked at Walmart briefly during the summer and quit for school. I did not feel that the management really cared about the staff, or anything really.
Fun and engaging place to work. advancement within the company is something they take pride in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lab City, St. John's, Mount Pearl, Clarenville, NLJune 23, 2015
Pros: advancement within, Great Wages, benifits.
Cons: work life balance is about the only con I could even think of.
For 12 Years I worked with Walmart Canada, and I would still be there but things changed in my personal life that made me make the hardest decision in my entire working career. This company is a leader in the retail world and I would recommend anyone wanting to have a career to work here. I would go back tomorrow if i had the opportunity to do so.I have worked in 5 different stores during my time at Walmart and have made life long friends in each of them. that's the one thing that Walmart has. Many people make a family and Walmart has done that.

1 2 3 4 5

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more