Walmart

57.8K reviews

Walmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Why working there only got worse.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Moose Jaw, SKJune 18, 2014
Pros: guaranteed credit card
Cons: lack of staff, more work than i could handle, unrealistic expectations
When I first started their it seemed okay, but I did get suspicious when they would hammer into us it's your walmart and we value our employees. They started me as cashier, which I didn't apply for because I knew that was a bad idea, but took that position anyway. After about 4 months the store manager and a former assistant manager called me in the back and asked me if would work in the sporting goods department because some customers were complaining that I don't smile enough or was to slow. A lot of times my slow service was a result of long lines, due to a lack of cashiers and customers squawking that prices were wrong and making me waste my time trying to get an answer from the departments, which also lack staff. Especially in the evening. When they told me all this I told the assistant manager who hired me I told you didn't I, to which he answered, yes you did I'm sorry you obviously know yourself well. So I was moved to the back area to cover not just sporting goods, but seasonal, pets, toys and automotive. Most of my shifts began at 3:30 PM, at the same time the department managers were getting off. I was also usually covering these 5 departments by myself. The department manager of toys was not pleased with my performance because it was not zoned to her standards and there are only about 10 people on the night crew, who don't have time to get everything done. When I complained about this department manager not getting things done before I arrived and the lack of staff, they just said "It's not in the budget and it's not the department managers job to stock the shelves. – more... All I can say is then what are they their for? Another part was if I went to help a customer especially on busy days another customer would complain I wasn't in my department to help them, so the management told me to stay in my department, which I did. Then someone from another department would go on their break and a customer wanted something in that area. But I was told to stay in my area and yet they would say to me you're supposed to help them. In other words the managers didn't want to have to cover for people on break and expected me to be in 10 places at once. By my final year I was written up because one of the newer assistant managers said that I am argumentative and went and helped stock in the food department without being asked and left my area uncovered. It was stupid, but he would have asked me to come help over there eventually like he often did. They also didn't like how I would go to customer service desk to get returns, even though I often did that without being asked as well and they would have called me up to do the task sooner or later. Customers were also mad, mostly the old people, because the Saskatchewan Government changed the sale of Angling and Hunting tags to be sold from automated machines and online. They would just argue anyway when I explained that Walmart was not going to install a machine because it would cost a lot to do so. In other words they figured I could just snap my fingers and make things appear out of thin air. That and they were mad that I couldn't sell them ammo without a valid FAC card. Some of them would even say well gun registration was banned, so I don't need it anymore. Or they try to get sympathy by saying well I didn't know it expired, can't you make an exception, I'm going hunting tomorrow. Then of course they'd complain and management would give me a hard time about it, even though I was just doing my job. Finally I was written up 2 more times and then was fired after the third write up because a woman came to buy a microwave and I had to explain that it was out of stock, I didn't know when more would be coming, to which I told her tomorrow at the earliest. She also wanted to order one for herself, which I told her was not possible except on line and would have to use her credit card for that. I also explained if she did order online it would be delivered to her door. She also wanted to be able to pay for it before more came and I told her that's not possible because the store's insurance policy doesn't cover paid for items. I then told her the best we can do is give you a rain check and we'll set one aside when they come and call you to pick it up. She then went to customer service and said I just kept saying no. Another women and I think her daughter came in on Fathers Day to buy and patio set, which I had to spend 10 minutes searching for, as it wasn't marked. No surprise, I had to do that for plenty of other customers to and end up finding patio sets, swing sets, and other large items on the top shelf in the back and you needed the forklift to get it down. That and had to move pallets stacked with other items that had just been unloaded to get to them. A group called Walmart Watch calls this system organized chaos and they aren't kidding. I finally did find it and had to waste more time moving other items to get it out. Then of course the loader was on his break so I had to load it for the customer and she complained that I disappeared on her and kept her waiting, even though I told to wait by customer service and I'll bring it out as soon as possible. So finally a week later they called me into the office and said we're going to have to let you go. You're just not a people person. We didn't come to this decision lightly. Then one of them asked if was still looking to get into housing and construction and I said no I'm ready to blow right now. Naturally the store manager wasn't there to tell me himself, even though it was him that said I need to go. – less
Terrible place to work that uses and abuses employees
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee), OntarioFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: i dont work for them anymore
Cons: abuse, lies from management, poor working conditions, unreasonable expectations, abusive management... etc
I came into WalMart after having been laid off from my old job due to economic conditions. I applied there with a rich resume. One of my diplomas was in business. At first I was told I would be placed in a mid level management position. The day I went for my final interview paperwork was slid across the table showing that I would now be a supervisor (making 6 dollars less an hour than my old job) unloading their trucks that came in with their Chinese made merchandise. Not the mid level position I was initially promised (due to being on lay off and no other jobs available I had to accept "some money is better than no money") so I was lied to from the get go by management. WalMart knew I had my back against the wall too.

WalMart keeps its employee's in check by abusing them and making unreasonable demands for a low and frankly insulting wage. The tempo they force you to work at for your crummy wage is just as insane.

Everything you do is under the microscope. I witnessed one employee receive a write up for forgetting to put up a safety tape while using an electric pallet jack to get merchandise from the top shelf while a manager stood right there. The manager didn't say a word to the employee, the manager asked then watched as she made the mistake. Didn't bother to say "oh hey don't forget your safety tape" just let her do the job then went up to the office and came down half an hour later to give the employee her write up. The employee rarely made mistakes and was a good worker. It didn't warrant a written write up!

Management promotes based on who's the biggest kiss a**. – more... Not based on talent or education. I saw one person get promoted to mid level management due to kissing the bosses a**. She was a waitress before working for WalMart and had no background in management at all, yet she was moved into a position of "admin manager".

If your a floor level drone you take all the abuse from both idiotic and generally unreasonable customers who want everything for nothing. You also take abuse from management above that makes unreasonable and usually impossible demands. Management will never support an employee on the floor if a customer is abusive or rude to them. They will always ALWAYS side with the customer then punish the employee. Don't expect any help from them, management is NOT your friend if your a floor drone.

If you make mention even once of the word "union" you will have a manger up your a** for the rest of your career at WalMart. They have weekly meetings and one subject covered is how to dissuade unions from getting in to WalMart.

If for some reason you wind up doing overtime, even 15 minutes, expect to be dragged upstairs. Once upstairs in the office they will demand to know why you were in OT, then they will take out a bunch of paperwork and provide you a written write up. That's right a written write up for WORKING! Regardless of your reason for working OT.

Anyone thinking of going to work for WalMart. Think long and hard about your decision. If its management and you do get it, you'll be well paid as long as you abuse and mistreat the employee's. If your a floor level staffer in any department, take my advice and walk away from the offer. Your shifts will be insane and all over the place if you get full time (they don't care about work/life balance) and you will most likely get part time so they don't have to give you benefits.

Poor employer. Sam Walton you built this company and I'm sad to say if this is the image you had for it of exploit your fellow man well "mission accomplished" work elsewhere trust me. – less
A decent job, but get out before it's too late
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), AmherstburgDecember 22, 2012
Pros: opportunities to move around departments, great co-woe\rkers
Cons: poor management, extreme stress, disorganization
I started as a Store Standards Associate, who pushed carts and cleaned the store, for 8 months until I was promoted in to the electronics department. My job now, as a sales representative, is just to give information on a variety of products and put stock out in the mean time. Since we don't work on commission, we can give customers our honest opinion on products.

The coworkers I have are fantastic and we are a tight knit family back there. Most of them are my age and in the same position in their life as I am - recent University graduates looking for jobs elsewhere, so we have a lot in common and stick up for each other whenever we need to. The workload is decent - you're never really bored but you're not running around all the time (unless it is a special event like Black Friday or Christmas). Obviously, one will encounter "Walmart customers" and you will get yelled at your fair share - but my coworkers have always been there to comfort me and laugh it off.

This is where my main problem with Walmart lies however. Every single department manager, duty manager, and our store manager have never once stuck up for any associate when a conflict gets out of hand and the customer asks to see a manager. Through two and a half years, managers have continually thrown associates (whether its myself or others), under the bus although we have done what we have always been told to do (we don't have any stock left, we're not allowed to sell a display model, etc.). I have not once seen a manager stand up for an associate which is my biggest complaint about this company.

Since all managers – more... are power hungry for advancement, which is not entirely their fault since Walmart is a great place for career advancement, most do not listen and do not want associate feedback, and if one were to give it, we would probably get verbal warnings. I have, on several occasions, also been given three or four conflicting tasks to do at the same time all from different managers. I usually tend to do the one which my department manager gives me directly, but it can still sometimes result in a talking to about "helping the greater good of the store" and "there is no such thing as "not your department.""

Outside of the disorganization of managers, the salary is good (more than a dollar over minimum wage) and most managers are pretty forgiving when it comes to scheduling conflicts. I've never once had any problems taking time off work or adjusting my schedule for school and exams.

If it wasn't for my wonderful coworkers, I'm not sure if I could still be at this store. There are plenty of good things, and I sure have gotten my share of experience, but it's time to get out. It's been an excellent beginning job, but any longer and I find I might get caught in a rut. I would not discourage the pursuit of a part time job at Walmart, but I would encourage a healthy amount of awareness while working to ensure that your managers are not taking advantage of you and that you get out while you still can. – less
Although creative place to work, not much given back
Photographer/Studio Manager (Current Employee), New BrunswickJuly 13, 2013
Pros: cute families, i can be creative
Cons: long hours, away from my family, low pay for what i do, workevery single saturday without having a choice, little say in important matters, unrealistic expectations for the modern age we're in, refusal to upgrade and get with the times.
My typical day at work includes photo sessions (for those sessions that bother to show up), do photo consultations with in 72 hours of the customers session, 24 hour confirmation of sessions, editing portrait sessions and selling images. During the day I will do about 80-90% passport photos.
I have learned that it doesn't matter how much effort and creative spin I put on something, people hear Walmart and they hear cheap. I have learned that the odd person that comes into the studio will think my photography and my time and effort is worth more than $8.00. This customer is rare and I appreciate all the kind words that they have given me over the years.
My staff is amazing. They are hard working and I couldn't ask for more from them.
Hardest part of my job comes in 3 parts. Part 1 - Rude, ignorant parents that are only concentrated on getting the perfect picture that they see in a magazine even though their child may be too young to achieve this look. These parents refuse to let me do my job. If they bothered to let me do the job I was trained to do, they would see that I will surprise them
Part 2 - Parents that verbally abuse their kids and expect me to sit there and let them do it. It doesn't happen. You want to act like that in my studio, get out.
Part 3 - getting little compensation for the time away from my family as I work 6 days a week and haven't had a Saturday off in 3 years. I do not get to plan weekend trips away with my family unless it is near the end of the summer and it turns out to be 1 Saturday a year.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all of those – more... families smile, and all the new babies. It makes me appreciate my family more.
Management. As I am a manager I will talk about my higher ups. Although I understand the job that they have to do, I do believe that they need to have more wiggle room for certain things. Times are changing. There are fewer people who want to come into a studio for portraits. Most people these days either have their own camera, or pay someone to come to a location of their choice to get portraits done. I would. I do not feel that they give me the appreciation that I know I deserve. I don't ask for much, just a full weekend off a month and a raise wouldn't hurt. They seem to talk me up so much to each other but give me nothing back in return. When I don't do well I get the third degree, even when I work tirelessly to get the task done.They always talk about how our 7.99 package is what brings people in. This 365 day a year coupon does bring a few people in, but it locks the customer in a price point that they won't get out of, making my job of selling the portraits very difficult. I have mentioned to the company several times about changing the introductory offer, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. – less
Could've Been Great, Awful Instead
Claims Associate (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 1, 2014
Pros: associates are usually nice
Cons: managment is usually awful, wage is fine but overall salary is almost worse than nothing
- I have made more friends working at Walmart than any other company. The people who work there are a unique blend of personalities from all walks of life. Management is more of a mixed bag, but the ones who are good are great. Management will set the tone for your experience with the company. Good, personable managers who care for their associates are priceless, and each one will quit or start stealing from the company because they get paid as badly as you do. Bad managers think they're good managers, except that everyone they talk to is miserable for some reason. A bad manager will last forever, unless they get caught stealing because they get paid as badly as the good managers.

- The wage is usually competitive to your local market. What they won't tell you, however, is that they will do anything in their power to keep your hours low. This keeps you from earning much of anything, and keeps associates as far away from the word 'Overtime' as humanly possible. The lunch break is an hour for this very reason. I ran a department alone that requires one full-timer and one part-timer to keep up, and I did it on part-time hours. I requested more hours, even offered to sign a waiver stating I didn't want benefits just money. Their suggestion was that I pick up shifts working the front tills, as though there wasn't 40-hours a week worth of work piling up in my department I could've been dealing with instead.

- "Associate Appreciation" events are laughably bad. The annual 20% coupons are worthless because even with $120 knocked off the top you won't be paid enough to afford a Dyson – more... vacuum. My store's co-manager regaled us with a story of how he once saved $0.20 on a Snickers bar because he didn't want to waste the coupon but couldn't afford anything else as an hourly associate. This year though, he said, he was gonna get a big TV or an Xbox. Probably both! He wasn't sure. They'll occasionally attempt to make you feel good about your job by leaving deli meats and store brand soda in the break room. The meat is billed to an associate appreciation fund paid into by the company each time we sign people up for a mastercard, and the soda usually comes from the claims department (split cases, dented cans, etc). The annual profit-sharing check is calculated by blind goblins in a dungeon in Arkansas, and they wait until the absolute last possible second to finalize the amount. People are almost never sure if they qualified for the check, if their store qualified at all, and even if they are they have no idea how much it will be. It's functionally no different than receiving a scratch card in the mail that says '9/10 cards are winners!' but 8 of them only win a cheeseburger from McDonalds. – less
Excellent workplace
Store Standards Associate (Current Employee), Ajax, ONJuly 10, 2015
Pros: An hour lunch, discounts on merchandise, benefits if on full-time.
I have gotten my first "actual" job at Wal-Mart after gaining a lot of experience delivering newspapers since I was 12. I like the idea of the fact that Wal-Mart conducts group interviews to identify suitable candidates, I believe it is a fun way to get to know each other.

I believe the hiring process is acceptable, you would get a call from one of the assistant managers to conduct phone screening, then after that you would wait a few days or even a few hours to determine whether you are selected for a group interview, if selected you would attend perhaps a week later, then after the group interview, you would get a call three days after your group interview to determine whether you are selected for hire in that position, if so you would meet with one of the district hiring managers to sign your job offer then a week after you start work, which is very good, doesn't take a long time at all, just short and sweet :).

Orientation was very good as well, you have the opportunity to tour the whole store, play a board game and all the rest of it, along with the usual, you know, going over of rules and procedures and stuff like that.

Now to the great typical day of work, (lol).

A typical day of work would be to go to the punch clock and punch in for the day, along with you taking your assigned breaks (such as two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch if you are assigned an eight hour shift), just carry out your regular duties with additional responsibilities assigned at odd times of your shift.

The most enjoyable part about the job is definitely the dedication we partake – more... into serving our customers through a lot of ways, such is stocking shelves, bringing in clean shopping carts for our customers to use, making a customers purchase go smoothly and quickly through our dedicated cashiers, or even just answering a customers question with enthusiasm.

The hardest part of the job is definitely some members of management, I feel that sometimes they aren't on the right page about policies and procedures, and sometimes assigning duties that are not of priority at the time. They do sometimes pressure you but in an understanding way, at the end of the day, they have a business they run and want customers to be satisfied at the same time.

There is opportunity to grow within the business however they have to promote you within criteria and if you have an excellent or outstanding performance record, so if you see yourself as a Store Manager in two years, then this is not the place for you. WORK TO YOUR POTENTIAL!!.

The culture at Wal-Mart is sometimes depressing, I feel that alot of the associates at Wal-Mart, including some members of management, are not passionate of the retail industry, and the majority of associates are there just for the paycheck. Not a lot of associates are very enthusiastic either which just makes the place depressing. You gotta be excited about coming in to work!! ya know?!? (lol). – less
Walmart - Decent Job - Better than most minimum wage jobs
3rd Shift In-Stock Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: 2 15 minute breaks, Profit Sharing (Annual), 10% Employee Discount, Diversity, Price Matching
Cons: 1 Hour Unpaid Lunch (Needs to be shorten to 30 minutes instead)
A typical day at work would include dealing with customers, management and associates working aside you.

You will get rude customers, repeating customers and very nice customers just like any other business.Retail isn't the best line of work and isn't a career job unless you plan to move up the management chain. You will learn to manage yourself and deal with all sorts of customers with various personalities and behaviors.

I learned various retail terminology and Walmart practices in retail such as zoning (front-face products), setting up modular's (following a diagram of a new shelf plan for products - usually means moving products around, taking discontinued products off, adding new products), pushing sales, changing end-caps weekly or once the product depletes off the shelf, changing price labels, following the weekly ad, learning to operate the pegasus/talzon gun (different terms used in different companies) to check item location, price, stock and etc. usually whatever functions were available for each associate).

Management at my store changed semi-annually to annually, so we didn't see the same middle management as much. Merchandising managers are above department managers according to our store standards and work directly under the assistant manager and store manager to take care of their departments and other tasks in other departments if needed. They work on paperwork and conduct several to a dozen job duties on a weekly basis. There are some lazy and some hardworking managers. You can depend on some but not certain ones. Assistant management are usually – more... busy with paperwork and can be rarely found on the sales floor unless a task was at hand.

The store I work at is a core store (no deli, produce) and there are rarely any associates on the floor. There are usually more management than staff on any given morning. Sales floor staff is limited to 1-2 whereas most staff are staffed in needed departments such as fashions, electronics and cash/customer service. Due to "budget" restraints prevents more part-time associates to assist on the sales floor.

The job isn't hard at all. It's only hard when you are mentally frustrated with management's decisions. Everything is easy to learn, it just depends whether you want to do the job or not.

Meeting people is the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Poor work/life balance, unrealistic expectations, unsafe environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Busy environment, some great hard working people
Cons: Extra hours worked with no compensation, disregard for safety and well-being, poor communication
This is a company that rarely makes good on their word, even if you have something in writing. I have seen hard working co-workers (Assistant Managers) lose their jobs over petty politics, standing up for what was right, and clueless Store Managers that take credit for the ASM's work.

Should you ever accept a position as an overnight ASM, be prepared to be stuck on this shift for far longer than promised. It is a thankless position that will affect your health and social life. Walmart cares not about either of these things.

As a daytime Assistant Manager, your work/life balance will nearly be non-existent. Walmart takes full advantage of salaried members of management, and makes them put in extra hours (with no compensation) consistently. Many of the Store Managers will even make you feel bad (and treat you as an outcast) for leaving on time. Get ready to close until midnight and have to open the store the next day by 6:30am, leaving you little time to sleep and be in a good mental state to work safely. At the store level, labour standards are often ignored by the Store Manager. Safety standards are often ignored as well. It is rare that any backroom at Walmart is skid free and safe for the associates. I'm surprised the Ministry of Labour hasn't fined or shut down more stores by now.

The People Manager division has little to no interest in helping the associates. They are merely a safety net in covering Walmart's interests. It's no wonder a union has long been talked about by the associates. Speaking of which, some of Walmart's hardest work is in diminishing any opportunity – more... of a union. In fact, associates are generally terminated at the mere mention of the word "union". There is no free speech here.

Like any place, you get a mix of good and bad. In my 15 years of retail, I can tell you that I have never experienced more disgusting treatment than I did with Walmart, as an Assistant Manager. My experience as an hourly associate was more pleasant; hence why I didn't give them the lowest of ratings. I also had the privilege of working with some great people.

I urge you to really consider what you're getting into when considering this company. Job security is not a thing and neither is compassion for your well being. They continue to cut wage budgets and put all the work on the Assistant Managers laps. What a terrible place to give your all to, with very little reward. – less
Not bad but...
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Stocks, Discount, Friends, Easy
Cons: Growth, Raises
Lets not kid ourselves, this is walmart after all.
First, the good news.
They usually pay ABOVE minimum wage,and despite its tiny size, you can look forward to a raise every, single year.
The stock purchase plan is a MUST to anyone with brains.
taken right off your paycheck each cheque is a small sum of your choice. walmart hq adds 10% to it and then purchases stock in your name. Walmart stock only really travels up, year after year. the 1-% bonus has a cap, something like $1200 so be sure to ask your admin manager and max it yearly.
Now comes the discount, 10% of anything...at walmart. Its a good perk. Shop smart and that is 10% off your groceries....every week...every year. price match anything you can and you just expand what is on sale.
Finally you have the associate appreciation in november. 3 items for 30% off, this is the perfect time to buy large items like consoles or TVs.

The place is full of fairly easy jobs that require little to no training or prior knowledge.
Its a good place to get some basic skills and more importantly to show off your reliability and determination.
Put your nose down, work harder than the other slackers around you for 2ish years, get a supervisor job. Hold onto that for a year, put it on your resume, get out.
Unless you have a business degree you can go ahead and forget about the words assistant manager. It just wont happen. By the time you have been there long enough as a grunt to earn that chance they have a file of your mistakes to hold you back.
If you wanted that job, you ENTER the company looking for an assistant manager, – more... be ready to travel where they want you to and work hard.
co workers vary from store to store, some are great life long friends, some are forgotten the day they leave.
Raises are a joke. They have maintained the same raise scale for decades...somehow. Youre given a rating from 1-5. Fives dont exsist as they require zero mistakes. that leaves 4s for the absolute butt kissing, overtime logging, savior of the store. and for what? 0.10$ per rating...thats right. fourty cents per hour. – less
Easy place to work in
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: 20% discount on electronics
Cons: co-workers missing shifts sometimes
- A typical day at work
This was way back the start of summer, I was placed in seasonal as they didn't have much people there. I was placed on a morning shift on Monday, I was excited because it was my first time working in a morning shift as I was always scheduled for an afternoon or evening shift. I signed in and got ready for work. My manager saw me come in early and he had this happy yet annoyed face, he called me and told me that I will be working alone from 9 am til 1 pm because 2 of my Co-Workers called in sick, what a coincidence. I was pretty annoyed as well, because during morning shifts we stack up the isles and zone the area as much as possible before the customers starts arriving and that's a lot of work. It was nearly 11 am, customers are starting to come. I was surprised by how many customers there are, It's Monday and there are a lot of customers. I was nervous that all these customers might need my help all at the same time. Soon enough one customer came to me and asked me where she could find this certain product, as I was assisting her another customer came to me and asked me where she could price check this certain item. I was able to assist the two ladies. After a few minutes more people are starting to come. Just about when a customer was going to ask me for help on getting a certain Item on the top shelf, the assistant manager and store manager came and told me that I could take my break and that they will cover for me while I have my lunch break. After my lunch break, our store manager spoke to me and told me that I did a great Job for being able to zone – more... out the place properly and help customers in the process alone for almost 4 hours. At the end of the day I was really happy that I did a good job and thought to myself, this is a really easy job when you are dedicated to what you are doing.

- What you learned
I learned that helping customers in every possible way to make them happy is fun and it makes me happy too. I also learned that you can still do your job even if you're alone as long as you are dedicated to what you are doing. Co-Workers missing their shift shouldn't bring you down and is not a reason for you to do poorly in your job.

- Management/Co-Workers
It's has a really good management, everyone is helping one another. Even our managers gets out of their offices and puts down their paper works just to help us when there is not enough people. Everyone is friendly.

- Hardest/Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
The only hard part about working there is when customers are impolite and starts getting grumpy. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers and hearing their thanks and seeing their smile after you've helped them. – less
It's a job if you really need it.
Cashier (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 14, 2013
Pros: easy work, great for students
Cons: low pay, drunk managers, no changing schedule, no pay slips, value their "wal mart mastercard" more than customer service.
Working at Wal-Mart was an interesting case for me. I got a part time job as a cashier while going to school. It was easy work, I got paid. That is all it was for me. I would need to write a book to describe my whole story there in detail, so basically I will get straight to the points.

A few of the managers were drunk in the middle of the day. Customers actually complained to me that a drunk manager slammed a cart into them. What am I expected to do in this situation, tell them to take it up with the other drunk manager? Yeah right!

You can change your schedule to take a day off to go to the doctor if you are dying, but expect to lose 1 of your shifts every week thereafter. Do it a few times and you won't have much left.

If you want you payslips you will get them...for the first 2 weeks. I tried asking for them but they actually told me they didn't have them. I worked for 4 months and got 2 biweekly payslips total.

Some of my cashier coworkers had been there for 20 years. I don't know why they are proud to wear a silver badge that says they have made minimum wage for 20 years in a row, but that is beside the point. These people always felt the need to tell me how to stand. I like to stand with my arms crossed, I even do it in the shower. But, because I do understand body language, I would only do it at work when there were no customers. Even though the cashier veterans were the only ones that could see me, they still tried to order me around on my stance. Whatever.

At Walmart, they want you to sell this Walmart Mastercard where people can earn cash back. If the person – more... I offered this to knew very basic mathematics, they instantly declined the offer. Basically, nobody wants it. When it was really busy in the store, I would never offer it to people because it takes 15 minutes to apply for it at the till. This was my customer service... not wasting people's time. Management didn't like this very much and classified me as an unsatisfactory worker. When one of the drunk managers went though my till and I didn't offer him the Mastercard, he went and told MY manager and she almost fired me. I got off with a warning. Needless to say, I can't use Walmart as a work reference because to them. I sucked. – less
Making or Breaking the Business
Overnight Support Manager (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: benefits with the company, job security
Cons: tough maintaining a balance life working overnights
I've always believed the success of a store is controlled by the management team. I've worked in several Wal-Mart stores with various types of managers. There are the "Hand On", "Dictator", "Doer" and "Passive" to name a few.
I've always been the type to meet the expectations my company has set out for me and then strive to exceed those expectations.
Find creative ways to get others involved. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty along with the associates (aka employees), Lead by example, make sure your walk matches your talk, explain the "why" in what we are doing, make it fun where you can, always be approachable as well as always get back to the associate (aka employee) with the answer to their question before the shift is over.
For the most part when the management team is not speaking the same language and talking about each other behind their backs; then the associates loose respect as well as get confused about the expectations.
It's not always easy getting others to complete task but I've found working just as hard as I expect them to work gains respect as well as when it comes to delegating its easier because they know you'd work just as hard and hold everyone to the same standard.

When starting work at 10:30pm a tour around the store is completed and notes taken for merchandise changes needing completion. Then it is time to fill out the NSR and see where we need associates as well as how many are required for that area. Once completed it is meeting time with sales, policies, pertinent information being given, and off to work. Follow up with the areas is done throughout – more... the shift. Once everything is stocked all merchandise left over is taken to the stockroom and getting the store ready for opening begins; by 7am everything is cleaned up and the store is ready for our customers.

It is great working with others and being part of a team. I like getting to know them on a personal level and not letting it be all about work. This allows them to see I'm invested in them and that they are a valuable asset to our company. No matter how man complaints I get regarding changes, other associates, or management I always try to put a positive spin on things even if it's difficult. – less
Walmart and working as a customer service deli associate
Deli associate and stocker (Former Employee), surrey, bcDecember 9, 2014
Pros: friendly coworkers, safe and reputable company, good safety practices and buisness ethics
Cons: long hours, longer travel time, communication problems with management, shortage of staff
Working for Walmart gave me a inside view of how things are run in a larger company which is known world wide. They have many perks for working at Walmart. A uniform is provided, so you look professional every time, and no matter what a smile on everyones face. In time you get to really form a bond with co-workers and most of them are honest, hardworking individuals with good work ethics. I was hired part time, and acquired more hours by filling in for other workers shift when they called in sick, or were unable to come in. Cleanliness is one of the biggest models Walmart follows in the deli department, since there is a handling of meats, and hot foods it is something that is extremely important, as contamination can happen quite frequently. Each month there was monthly courses that educated employees on work safety, whimis, and other safety materials or information from walmart. The hardest part of the job was when I approached management for a work schedule change, I was denied it as they wanted employees who work morning to night shifts, a example of this would be I would be given a night shift up to 11pm and expected to come back in the next day at 7 am. It didnt allow me to rest properly, and therefore because of this my health had declined to the point I had to take a leave. There is not a good family to work balance and at one point when I asked for more work it was denied aswell. Benefits dont really go into affect until you work over one year within in the company, and there are alot of changes that come because of frequent changes in management and employees who leave – more... because of this. There is also no room to advance in the company as management is usually picked on credentials and not what is accrued within the company, which I feel is not fair. I also once had to manage a whole deli department alone, when in the policy it said there is suppose to be 2 people minimum, I was basically told to manage it best way I can, there was a big communication problem with management and co workers, and coworkers not showing up to work at all. It worked in my advantage because it showed I can work on my own even though the workload was quite heavy. – less
One of the Best Jobs I've Ever Had.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Salmon Arm, BCApril 13, 2015
Pros: The team of employees working together, the management and their incredible work ethic and dedication to their employees, the opportunities of moving up in the store and the company, the benefits of working for the company.
Cons: Limited part time hours
During my time at the Salmon Arm Walmart Supercentre, while short due to changes in living situation, I was able to work at a solid pace and was given the liberty of initiating and completing tasks by myself, and with communication from coworkers about tasks that still needed to be completed. My job in Electronics was to provide excellent customer service to shoppers, discuss products that shoppers inquired about and explain differences between specific products; in the Photo Centre, as it was attached to Electronics, it was our duty to provide the best service possible, make sure all photo orders were properly organized and filed for later pick-up, and assist customers when necessary on the Kodak Picture Kiosks. I learned what to do with overstock, such as how to place overstock in lock-ups in an organized and efficient manner, and how to create and place a variety of price tags and price changes throughout the department.
The management team took into careful consideration any concerns/issues/areas of improvement colleagues suggested and discussed, regardless of position and seniority, which is always a very positive thing. If at any time there was something going on outside of work, the management team took time out of their shifts to listen and suggest positive advice -- this is very key as while it is an employee's duty to leave home problems behind the entrance doors of their jobs, it can be very difficult to, and I appreciated this greatly.
My team of co-workers were varied by personalities and work ethic, and I appreciated them all uniquely; the team I worked with – more... was a fantastic team. The positive attitudes of the team were up-lifting, inspiring, and help to make each day that much better. My time with the team was an awesome experience and while they have since left and gone their own ways, I will forever appreciate working with them.
My time at Walmart was a fantastic experience; any of the time I spent at work at my other jobs was a fantastic experience and I am so glad that I was able to be a part of them all. The positive and caring attitudes of my coworkers continually inspires me to be the best employee I can be, and I hope to continue having positive experiences in the future. – less
Better experience for me than a lot of other people I know who work there
Back-Up Lead Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 17, 2014
Pros: meet a lot of great people
Cons: difficult customers
Typical retail job, however, the pay is a bit more competitive than other retailers. If you're looking to work somewhere that will guarantee a lot of hours, and therefore, big paycheques relative to other retailers, then this is definitely the place to work. I always recommend it to students looking for a summer job, if they can put up with difficult customers and are fine sacrificing their evenings and weekends.

Management will always support the customer when it comes to returns, which defeats the whole purpose of the store policy. You also hear a lot of contradictory things from management because it is such a large group of people. While I do feel like my voice is heard, I know there are a lot of others who do not feel this way--but this may have more to do with my assertiveness and my work ethic compared to others.

The best part of the job is, because there are so many employees, you are bound to make a lot of friendships. I've seen intimate relationships form at Walmart, and I myself have made lifelong friends here. This is a big motivational factor for a lot of the younger employees to continue working at Walmart, despite the difficulties they encounter.

Another benefit is that it is not difficult to move up in the company/shift job positions, just as long as strong members of management see you as a reliable and good worker--emphasis on this latter part of my statement. Depending on who you impress, and as long as you haven't committed any faults, moving up is fairly easy. However, there is a large majority of people who end up stuck in their primary position because – more... employees' faults are remembered and are always looming over their heads. I myself have worked in multiple departments, as a cashier, as a customer service representative, and finally a customer service manager, with a promotion to back-up lead customer service manager.

Working here definitely teaches you patience, and how to comminucate with different types of people -- to put things nicely.

While I did mention that the pay was better than other retailers, I do wish the pay was better, by at least $2 more per hour. The job of customer service manager can be very physically and emotionally exhausting when you have cashiers and customer service representatives who do not know what they're doing and difficult customers. However, there are rare times where you'll have the most competent cashiers and customer service representatives and have no difficult customers, and you wish days like that came more often. – less
Typically, Terrible manigers, but if you can handle them, it's not a bad palce to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Garden Center, Seasonal.June 3, 2014
Pros: above minimum wage starting, 10% discount 25% at christmas, very flexible hours (for part time).
Cons: terrible managment, customers are some of the worst i've seen, little hours.
Overall, WalMart, at least for me, wasn't the worst place to work, at least, not when i started. My direct superior (the department mangers) were very nice and helpful, and overall learning what was needed to do was a very painless experience. My first few weeks were a little harsh at times because the customers were quite impatient when i didn't immediately know where something was, but, at least then, there was usually another associate on the floor to help me out. Later on though, in recent years, that changed. There was less and less hours going out, so on a typical night, there would only be me or one other person on the floor at a time (this may have been influenced by the fact that our store was relatively small, but i don't believe that to be the point).

The summer, on the other hand, was horrible. Walmart would hire a large number of students and give them all 12 (the weekly minimum) hours, meaning everyone would have little hours, even those who had worked there 5+ years.

The assistant and head mangers at my store were horrible as well, save for 2 assistants. The head mangier specifically was very arrogant and ignorant. An example could be when one of my associates went in to talk to him about her depression (why they had taken some days off), and all he did was smirk, as if to be saying "i know you're lieing but i don't care".

There was also a few cases of nepotism, one of the big things walmart says is that they hire in first, well, sometimes they do, but they they're supposed to post a job opening first. There were a few times where someone was hired straight – more... out as a manger, no previous experience in Walmart at all, and there was no post about needing one.

Overall, the work isn't that bad if you're ok dealing with rude and mean customers, but the management is terrible, at almost every walmart i've been to. – less
Walmart, a Horrible place to work
Overnight Cleaner (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONJuly 30, 2012
Pros: i wish i could think of some...but there is none.
Cons: staff doesn`t get along with eachother, overnight management didn`t do much, there was no communication from morning/afternoon/night shifts, and your overnight co-workers are problematic
Typical Day at work: Overnight cleaners did most of the cleaning for the entire store, Day time cleaners only "Check" the Garbages/bathrooms and did them when they felt like it.

What I learned: I learned how to do the job properly, on my own I might add, because they would "Tell" you once how to do it, and then expect you to be "Perfect" in the first try. They would yell at you if you didn't get it the first few days.

Management: I can't speak for the Day time Management team because I worked overnights. But the overnight Management team were a bunch of brainless people. You would go to them with a problem and they would just listen to you and sweep it under the carpet. I had the same problem for 10 months and nothing was done about any of my problems I went to them about.

Your Co-workers: The head cleaner everynight she was in, Had a powertrip. She would think the best of her female staff but when it came to being the only guy on the crew, she was very, Very Sexiest and rude about it also! She would sit in the office reading or talking on the phone with personal calls. Other then that, the overnight crew, well it got so bad that you couldn't talk to anyone, not even have a personal chat with a friend of yours because everyone would try to listen and then find something wrong with it to run to Management to get you in trouble. Most of them didn't even know what job they were doing and stood around most of the night talking or texting with their phones.

Hardest part of the job: Well again I'd say being the only "Male" cleaner. All the other overnight cleaners would think – more... I didn't do my job properly and "snitch" to the head cleaner every chance they had. Or I would sweep a spot and one of them would drop something and say I didn't sweep their to get me into trouble.

The Most enjoyable part of my Job: I`d have to say was working with `some` of my friends, but other then that...Leaving Walmart was the mostt enjoyable part!!!!

Also Note: Now they only Hire "Part-time" Staff and even then it's hard to move up the chain to get fulltime. They say there is room for advancement, but you hardly see it happen. – less
Working at Walmart review
Sale associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONTApril 30, 2014
Pros: having a choice to work on statutory holidays
Cons: no long shift, giving away shifts
A typical day at Walmart would start by swiping in to be on the clock and take a look at my department to make sure the department is safe from hazards or spills. Than would work my way from the start of my department to the back and make sure everything is in an orderly fashion for customers. I constantly would go up to customer service and pick up my department things and my neighborhood department things to help out my sales associates. During my lunches or breaks I would get one of my sales associate to watch over my department if customers need any help or have any questions. When returning from my lunch or break I would do the vice-verse and watch over their departments,
A couple of things I learned at Walmart are how to communicate better, working as a team and how to work under pressure. With having many sales associates on the sales floor it was very important to communicate with my neighbor in my department as we all had to watch out for each others departments. I also learned how to work in a team properly by communicating and work together to get everyone's work completed. I also learned to work efficient when under pressure as at times working at Walmart there were days it was very busy. At times I would have to leave my department and help out at cash and I would have to prepared to return to my department and it be a mess. Some times it was hard to maintain the department and it was coming to the end of my shift but working to the best of my ability and getting the work done was stressful at times.
Management was sometimes an easy or difficult to understand and – more... deal with. On regular days management expectations were understandable and easy to complete. But days when the store was busy and management had other expectation in mind it was difficult to read their minds and understand exactly what they want when they weren't under pressure themselves and could communicate themselves.
As Walmart being my first job that I have worked I had to work with many co-worker as all job you have to. Working with co-workers can be easy or very difficult as everyone have different personality and have their own style on how they want to work. I noticed that some want to be friends and some just want to get their work done and completed and leave.
One of the hardest part of my job was keeping up to speed with maintaining my department. This was the hardest part of my job because if I started at one end of my department and work my way forward by the time I finish and went back it had to be fixed again. But at the same time it kept me busy and I had something to do.
One of the most enjoyable part of my job was that I had a chance to work in other sales associate departments and gaining experience on what their job tasks were. – less
Expecting more for less.
Unloader (Former Employee), CalgaryAugust 12, 2013
Pros: it was close by my home
Cons: bad management, but work culture no room for advancement low pay for more work.
Typical work day for me was to help set up the conveyor belt and to help hand-bomb the trailer, then I was to palletize the products, wrap in shrink wrap and send it out to the store floor where the employees of those departments would shelve the products. Okay seems easy right? Well the problems started on my first day, the lead hand told us not to throw the electronics (Apparently this was common practice) As soon as the lead hand turned his back one of the regular unloaders chucked a stereo over the conveyor and smashed it. He did not get in trouble. Next, it would seem that anyone with a silver name tag (A silver name tag means they have worked at that store for over 5 years) thought they had pull whether they where management or not. These leads to horrible work culture when this happened because they would do things like come into the back and yell at us for shrink wrapping the palettes (Witch is apart of our job it prevents theft and keeps boxes from falling on customers on the floor.) However our shrink wrapping job made her employees work slower so she yelled at us and ordered us to stop shrink wrapping. It was a case of doomed of you do and dammed if you don't.

Next the management, they will constantly change your hours, scheduled you to work outside of availability, Chastise anyone for going above and beyond the call, belittle employees in front of others and played favoritism. Lastly, pay cuts, the managers one day came to the back with forms they wanted all of us to sign, it said that we agree to a pay cut, those who refused to sign where fired on the spot.

After – more... that I walked away from Wal-Mart and will never go back, things might be different in other stores but this soured my taste for that company. I would suggest you find work else where. – less
Walmart... Its all in the title...
Associate (Former Employee), Wetaskiwin, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: the backroom kept me very busy
Cons: inept management, and very poor customers.
The management of Wal-mart for the most part... should not be managers. They are poorly trained, and have very poor employee relations. They don't care anything about the employee, and will not under any circumstance defend their number one customer. And because of this attitude, and because they generally treat the staff badly, leads to poor performance from the floor staff as well as poor customer service. This in turn leads to very high turn out rate for staff.
This is not from my experience, but from what i have witnessed daily from management and staff. The morale of these stores are very low. That isn't to say that all of them are like this, there was a few great managers. And I did enjoy my work there, which is why I was there for over 4 years.

Although, the management can only be blamed in part. The customers themselves are a large part of the poor work environment. Wal-mart deals with some of the most ignorant customers, and none more so than the ones that shop in the electronics department. People always talk about the poor service there, but the customers are more ignorant to the employees, then the reverse.

The most enjoyable part of the school is the freedom of expression for some of the assignments (speaking of English). And of course the outstanding teaching staff..
There is little chance for advancement, and the pay and pay raises are laughable, as they only give you from 0.20-0.30 cents an hour raise... per year. And they only give you 0.30 if you perform above average.

I learned many skills.. I learned the back room pretty well, and worked in the electronics – more... department for about 3 years. I have extensive knowledge to the telson gun, and had almost the same options under my account as an assistant manager. I also learned a lot about customer service, and effectively managing my work day.

The co-workers depended. I didn't have extensive contact with most of the staff. But the ones I did, were great to work with. The work relationships I had there were very close, almost like family, and I do miss working there.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Wal-mart, and I did learn quite a bit. They need to install a better raise program, and teach better customer service to the managers, with the understanding that your employees are your number 1 customer. – less
Headquarters