Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,171 reviews matching the search
Efficient, well organized company
Produce Stocker/Photo Lab Technician/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ONMarch 17, 2016
Working with other staff and management is very efficient. The goals of the day are clear and precise and the job you are meant to be doing is very organized. Working at Walmart I've learned great customer service experience, techniques in being outgoing and approachable, effective in resolving issues, the ability to think on the spot, and work with other people in being an overall great team. The hardest part of the job is satisfying the customer when we are out of certain items when the policy is satisfaction guaranteed. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work along side great co workers and being able to satisfy the customers.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Minimal benefits
working as fashion processor is interesting, fun and enjoyable and exciting to work with new merchandise each day.r
Fashion processor/merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 28, 2016
I been working Walmart for almost 2 years and i have acquired and found new friendship with my fellow co-workers of different nationalities. Since i am friendly person its so easy for me to interact with them, Some became my very close friends. During lunch break, we have fun and excited to know more about each culture and tradition and the most enjoyable is exchanging views and opinions about cooking foods.

I can honestly say that working in Walmart Langley is fun. Management so kind and passionate and very helpful and understanding.

In my own opinion, if you love your job and working it with a heart, there is no stress or shall i say stress situation became lightly and there is no hardest part in your part.
Absolutely displeased.
Meat Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
After working there for two months, and getting fired for getting injured. I've learned, that all the employees are miserable, unless new. The majority of the employees or associates do next to nothing productive. Than when it comes down to the work the hardest worker is the one who has to fix it, and deal with getting in trouble for other peoples habits.
I was wrongfully dismissed, and can do absolutely nothing about it, as even though they act like your best friend. Say that you work hard, if you cost them anything, you're gone, unless you've been there over three months. I do not suggest working for Walmart in the slightest.
Pros
Every once in a while we got donuts at the morning meeting
Cons
Associates, Staff, Work ethic, managers, etc
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 16, 2016
Everyday is exciting and no two days are ever alike. My work day involves everything from leading my team towards continuous improvement to ensuring that our store is ready for the customer and doing the absolutely best we can to please them. Because the retail industry is changing so fast there is always a better more profitable way to do things. Its very exciting. Of all the locations I've worked at for this company, currently I'm thrilled to be part of one of the best management teams Ive ever worked with, enjoyable and productive. Where I get the most pleasure from my job is serving customers and meeting their needs and expectations . Making their particular experience with me and my team,a positive, successful shopping experience that will bring them back.
Pros
continuous learning
Cons
Long Hours
Okay for starting out.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMarch 7, 2016
Walmart is an okay place if you are starting out, but now I am looking for something better suited to my lifelong career choice in working with animals. A typical day was always busy and definitely kept you on your toes. Throughout working with Walmart I improved many skills such as communication, math and working in a fast paced environment efficiently. Management was great and a lot of the managers were super nice and extremely understanding. My co-workers were great people and I ended up making a few long-lasting friendships while working there. I would have to say the hardest part of working there was dealing with customers who were angry or upset, sometimes we just can't help them or it may take a little time. The most enjoyable part of the time was also with customers, I love talking to people and creating new bonds. It was an overall fun place to work but more for starting out in my opinion.
it can be a fun place most of the time
Labourer (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 24, 2016
Management to serious for all the positive things they say. I love my job, lots of slackers. System needs something new for stocking and countimg what's actually in the store, I work hard as if I am getting paid well. Payday comes and I cry. Mostly a decent place to work. Not all are friendly as required including upper staff.
Pros
free pen, marker and box cutter, shares
Cons
the wages and lack of hrs, discounted work shoes, No equal platform, to voice ones concerns, It's like some managers carry a grudge, first person that comains about another seems to win, it's like the OPP say, " first call for problems, you loose."
Productive workplace with many employee appreciation events.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Walmart is a great place to work, the environment is good and you can easily make friends and be cooperatives with your co-workers. There were a lot of events for different amounts of days without accidents as well as for holidays. Management was very understanding and accommodating to those with health issues or injuries.

The hardest part of the job was promoting the Walmart Mastercard. Having to ask every customer every day can sometimes invoke anger within people and this is understandable but we must ask anyway. For some people, it is really easy to promote the Mastercard and for others, it's nearly impossible.

The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the customers when I could and feeling like I made a difference.
Pros
Good benefits for employees (cheaper rates for hotels, phone bills, etc.)
Cons
Tiny amount of full-time jobs. No real Benefits.
A Day at Walmart
Customer service specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
A day at Walmart, meeting variety of cultures and ethnic. Being able to talk to new people and being able to interact with others and putting a smile on their faces. Helping them with their need's to their fullest. Making sure everyone walks out happing and very willing to shop at the store again. I have excelled at customer service skills, problem solving working with people at customer service desk and cash handling at cash registers. I have also learn shipping and receiving, back room management, and merchandise stocking and handling. The hardest part of my job was going their right after a long day of school, but honestly seeing the people shopping their after a more hectic day than me, and shopping for their family. I am very happy to be a part of their day and hopefully allow them to smile. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with very respectful people, management is very appreciative of the work we do for the company, and such out going personalities.
New direction is the wrong direction!
Lead/Duty Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ONApril 1, 2016
In my 6 year career with Walmart I was a committed and engaged Manager. The new direction of the company "do more with less" is not conducive the a decent work-life balance and it has become all about the bottom line at the cost of the Associates - cut backs to hours and promises that never come to fruition.
They have no competition to beat out of the market...they can afford to treat their Associates with dignity and respect and a decent hourly wage.
Extremely fast paced, monotonous
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
I developed the ability to meet quota in a very fast environment but the work was very monotonous. The management there was very sloppy but the managers were quite friendly same with the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was at the beginning trying to meet quota and learn the organization system at a fast pace. for the last part the most enjoyable part of the job I suppose the decent salary and going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Vending machines
Cons
10 hour days, broken machines
Stressful environment
Fashions Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABMarch 3, 2016
It is a very stressful place to work. Whether you are forced to take on the tasks and areas that other people are supposed to look after, or because of your lack of training that you are hit with angry (job security) threats and verbal attacks.

For the most part the coworkers are great - some are there just for the pay check, but most of them are great to be around. Like anywhere else you have a handful of the grouchy, spiteful coworkers.

The management tries, though being underpaid they may not put in as much effort as they could if they were not being crushed by the corporate's boot.

The most enjoyable part working here, was working alone (on the floor), especially during the evenings when everything is slow. any tasks you needed to do could be done then. The hardest part is biting your tongue when you're being verbally abused or having your hours cut back drastically just becaue they don't like how confident or assertive you are.

The worst part was the pay. There's no way you can live, comfortably, on less than 600 a month.
Cons
rudeness, degrading
Great people, but management needs work.
Sales Associate/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCDecember 4, 2015
I got to work with some great people, however, the schedules were everywhere. Management had started out great, but after my first two years there it drastically went downhill. Little room was given for any advancement, excuses were made to give no more then a $0.30 raise/year to the associates, and there ended up not being enough people to be able to properly provide the best customer experience necessary. Often having one associate covering 4+ departments, as well as having to help on till. After our store became a Super Centre, most peoples hours were cut to 12/week, while they hired more people but didn't increase anyones hours.

Overall, it started out fairly enjoyable, but that quickly went downhill and left many feeling they didn't have much for job security or much worth.
Though, at least I was lucky enough to have an amazing department manager.
Good Place to work if you like repetitive tasks - Horrible Hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 7, 2015
Job Work/Life Balance: I asked for 20 hours originally, but am currently getting 25 average, even after a month of or so of new hires (I have only seen 2 so far), and we are horribly understaffed (Which looks like it wont be fixed ever). I STRONGLY recommend giving a review after the first month because I didn't start feeling the pain in my legs until after about a month. I have been given 8 hours in a row twice now, on the weekend.

Salary/Benefits - After 3 months you get a 10% discount, which is meh.

Job Security/Advancement - Asked to go into the sales associate for electronics and nothing happened for 3 whole days (Communication is horrid). Eventually I found the manager and asked if he had received my resume. He hadn't even though I personally put it in the mailbox.

Management - Only problem is that they don't get to registers fast enough, but this could be for a variety of reasons that is not connected to them personally.

Job Culture - This is pretty much aced. I love the people around be and have only experienced 1 or 2 bad apples.
Awesome place to work and learn.
Claims Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 20, 2015
In retail business Walmart is a very good place to work because it has lot of departments and promotion system. Since I started with the company I have worked in different different departments. So I have learned a lot and I learned how to deal with people of different cultures. Overall management is OK and co-workers are pretty good. Most bad part is some customers likes to mess up the store even though they are not baying the product and most interesting is when we get any good comment from customers such as "very personal support, Great service" or something like that.
Good place to work when you adapt to the environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  3757 Keele StreetDecember 17, 2015
A typical day at work is solely based on routines that need to be completed on a daily bases as well as dealing with situations that may present itself like dealing with customers and associates issues and concerns. What I've learned is that our people is what makes the business run and their engagement and performance must be managed and as a manager its my responsibility to have the right people in the right position to succeed through teaching,training and engaging each associate.

The management team each have responsibilities that they're each expected to manage but it important to be able to work as team to accomplish the company's vision.

The hardest part of the job is to manage myself engagement in order to keep others engage in the job that there're in, and to achieve the company's vision but on the other side of it is when the process is working the way the company as set, it a thing of beauty once you step back and watch the job being executed.
Pros
company growth, ability to change stores, promotions
Cons
long hours, recognition, schedules, work life balance
Walmart
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2016
Walmart was good place for me to work because i was surrounded by friends most of the time. However there was very little space for advancement because the management was very unorganized and efficient. I learned many things from working there such as, time management, efficiency and hard work.The hardest part of the job was the constant ranting from the managers, however there was also a good side to working there which was helping customers out and working with some of my close friends.
Work under pressure
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Constant change in hours. Reduction of hours
Being moved from dept. to dept.
Pressured to do more in less time
Poor communication from management and supervisors
Lack of people skills and team players in some of the co-workers
The hardest part of successfully doing my job was the lack of having the need to fix something and lack of interest and/or appreciation towards the employees by management
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the customers and helping them out in any way I could.
Pros
We recieved a 10% discount on lunches
Cons
Long hours when necessary
Fun place to work. Very systematic job.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Very systematic work. still you will never be bored. Meet new people everyday. I learned how to deal with different kind of people, with wide range of complaints and concerns. It is easy to reach management when needed. Co workers are very helpful all the time. The hardest part is at the end of the day you are totally exhausted, it takes 100% of your energy everyday. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people.
Pros
10% employee discount on beverything
Cons
Very low salary
overall an ok place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSNovember 7, 2015
I would not suggest that this become a life long career, but it is a fun job depending on the management and staff.

If you are good at dealing with people Walmart is the place for you. Customers are ruthless, The best part of working for walmart is the co-worker family you will gain. some of the best people work for walmart.
Pros
yearly bonus depending on store sales, they do staff appreciation week, and give an extra discount to staff every november.
Cons
you will have no work life balance, little opportunity for advancement, you will be given many promises of things to happen and it will never be followed through with, no communication between management.
Great Co-workers
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2016
Job is fun, lots of experience to get. Management needs an overhaul and there is a lot of politics. But for the most part amazing associates.
Pros
On Hand Experience
Cons
Low pay, small benefits