Walmart Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 3,847 reviews matching the search
negative atmosphere among employees, extremely low moral, it is like working with 20 hawks watching you at all times ready to pounce.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 14, 2016
-same routine daily
-management favours certain employees
-coworkers mostly all agree about management
-unable to enjoy a day at work without having to keep looking over your shoulders to see management constantly watching you. Always afraid that you will make a mistake.
-working with the public (customer service) would be the most enjoyable part of the job
Cons
favourtism
Check the telzon. Walk my area, and front face, straighten. Make notes of things to do.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Heritage Mall, South Edmonton CommonJune 9, 2016
Put out stock, condense, and put new merchandise to the front.
How to merchandise, doing mark ups and mark downs, signing, plan-o-grams.
Very helpful,and giving a list of what needed to be done. And a good time frame to accomplish.
Coworkers were good to work with, helpful when not busy to put out stock.
Store change overs. But I am a hard worker and need to be busy.
Customer service, I enjoyed being able to help a customer find what they wanted. And showing them the areas they could find merchandise.
Pros
Given a time to get specified jobs done. And thanked for a job well done.
Cons
Not knowing where something is in a busy area
typical days work
Lead hand/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 30, 2016
I would arrive at work earlier than required start time so that I could walk the store to get an idea of what work is to be done that evening. I would then check schedule to see who is working with me that evening. I would then talk to management to talk over the evenings plans. I would delegate our maintenance work between myself and my team members and then start our shift. Throughout the shift I would stop my maintenance job to check on team members to see if all are on schedule or if they require any help to complete their tasks. At the end of my shifts I would write a summary of shift's completed tasks.
An enormous company, kept lit by small sparks.
Store Standards Employee (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 1, 2016
Walmart really helped me in sustaining regular work while attending university. It is also where I learned the most about what it means to remain dedicated to something, through both the good moments, and the bad ones. It has inspired me to fight as a human and defend myself as a worker with rights. Moving on from the experience, I do wish to find a healthy working enviornment that communicates well with employees. Everyone is equally responsible in ensuring a professional, respectful and unified team that gives each little detail the attention it deserves.
Relaxed and Fun Place to Work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ONJune 3, 2016
Interacting with customers was definitely one of the best parts of the job, and every day was a new day. Co-workers were also very friendly and upper management worked hard to ensure a very relaxed environment for customers and staff alike. The hardest part of the job was during what we considered busy season in "the Beach" when all the tourists come from all over to enjoy the largest fresh water beach in the world. Line-ups would start at cash registers and be backed up half way through the store. If you're familiar with Wasaga Beach and it;s tourism industry, you know why! But it was a great place to work and if I didn't have family matters to attend to back home I would of gladly stayed.
productive, many responsibilities, good customers
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 15, 2016
I learnt alot of things t walmart such as how to do time management, how to do mutliple tasks at a time, how to behave calm even during stressful situations. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some extremely rude customers & also covering multiple departments at a time. The most enjoyable part is that you make lots of good friends from different ethnicity and different age groups. The other enjoyable part is making good relation with regular and nice customers.
Busy workplace with too many retirees and no one new.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJune 17, 2016
I have learned to deal with many different customers, the good and the bad, and it was a valuable experience I will never forget. Training and preparation could have been better, but the stress forced me to learn as fast as possible with minimal mistakes (or else). I have gained confidence speaking with customers and dealing with new situations, and MOST coworkers were pleasant to work with. All in all, a nice place to work for beginning in retail.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Not enough hours
Constructive and Useful experience
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 23, 2016
Working with a lot of people in my charge, I learn to be more comprehensive with each one. Trying to understand there point of view and why they act this way in some particular situation.
Be more open about other perspective than just mine.
For me that the most enjoyable part of my job was with a lot of employee in a big store like Wal-Mart, I really got the competences of how to treat some kind of situation at different moment with a diversity of personality and culture.
Pros
The managers were kind and invest in there workplace.
Cons
Not all the employee work equally.
Repetitive but fun
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJune 23, 2016
Walmart was a good first work experience for me. My co-workers were great, and i learned a lot about customer service. The only major issue I had was that my chest collapsed when I was on cash, and i asked the manager to call me a taxi to the hospital. and I was told that i looked fine and i was exaggerating. but as it happens, when i got to the hospital, my lung was 20% collapsed. I had to take a lot of time off work and it sucked. but otherwise Walmart was a great job and i had a lot of fun and made some great friends.
Pros
1 hour lunch/dinner.
Cons
Short hours. had to work weekends
Pretty good place to work ,easy going co-workers,managers
Over Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSMay 21, 2016
The job is fairly easy just stocking shelves in departments, working nights can be hard but I handle it really well and still have a good work/life balance.Co-workers and managers are easy to get along with and make the job easier to handle. There is quite a bit of physical labour and that is the hardest part of the job.
Pros
constantly busy so work goes by quick and job is not very difficult
Cons
sometimes hours get cut back and i only work 24 hours a week instead of 40
There are definitely worse places to work
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 21, 2016
Employees are friendly and easy to get along with, and most managers are pretty easygoing, but my experience with this place in regard to the workload was very intense. There were several different occasions where I was performing three or more tasks at once (i.e. customer service while dragging loads of carts, while managers were calling for spill cleanups and washroom cleanups, etc,).
Pros
Discount on store items
Cons
Very long hours
Hard work with good benefits but low wages
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 9, 2016
Great for young person as entry level management. Hard work and your immediate management will make or break this position for employee. Culture on paper is great but reality in workplace is not the same. With proper support to advance you by management could be a great position but due to shortage of takers you may be stuck in position for years.
Pros
Lots of hours available for this position
Cons
Long road for advancement
Productive and exceptional.
Dry Grocery Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 14, 2016
A typical day at work is too help the customer find what they need, making sure to upkeep on the merchandise on the shelves, and filing reports to the unloading crew if stock is running low. Learned about product display techniques like "facing". Management was very professional and nice. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was working too many days in a row on school days. The most enjoyable part was helping customers.
Pros
Helping Customers, Co-Workers.
Cons
Working too much on school days.
Fast paced and understaffed
UNLOADER (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCMay 9, 2016
Working it at walmart has its ups and downs. Im in the pursue of a nice job because working as an unloader at walmart we are over worked because we are always under-staffed and often have to stay overtime to finish the work and most time don't get some our breaks or breaks are cut in half. The job is also extremely physically demanding, constantly unloading heavy boxes up to 100lbs and moving heavy skids throughout the day.
Pros
job security
Cons
Long hours/ same shifts
Fun workplace and it was very easy to get along with all management and staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of running the cash register. When there were no customers, I would put stock out on the shelves or help the customer service desk put returns away. The staff and co-workers were very easy to get along with. I learned how to better interact with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with wonderful people and the hardest part of the job was meeting the scans per hour.
Pros
lots of breaks, great hours
Good starter job
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, ABJune 20, 2016
Working at Walmart can including various jobs throughout the day all around the store. I learned mostly to have strong people skills and how to act in a work environment. Most of the management at the Cochrane Walmart are great with the exception of a couple managers. The hardest part of the job was handling upset customers and I mostly enjoyed the flexible hours and nice associates.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Grumpy Customers
Management either likes you or they don't
Deli, Dairy, Sports/Auto, Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 12, 2016
I applied for Walmart because I needed a job. I was going to look for another job and quit Walmart within a couple months. I liked the people and the job so i never ended up looking for a new job. Things were good until about 2 and a half months ago. Walmart changed so much, I went away on a month vacation and no one bother to tell me that they changed 95% of my job description and keep giving me trouble about it. I called out one of the managers in front of a Co-manager and then the co-manager told me what has changed about my job. That's when things started to go downhill. I would recommend Walmart to others for a fun part time job but not for a long period of time for a career.
Machoism, arrogance, unsupportive
Overnight Stock/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 4, 2016
Employees acted unjustifiably arrogant and superior to newcomers, management drops the ball on training, employees are rude to new employees who are attempting to learn processes, assigned overwhelming work early on while my experienced individuals worked inefficiently. Culture developed by employees and not monitored by management is full of machoism and and unsupportive qualities.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Rude employees, poor management, excessive untrained and unsupportive tasks
Worst place i've worked in quite some time.
Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Stettler, ABMay 3, 2016
They say that the company cares about the employee, and will do what they can for them, this can't be more un-true. Since starting at store 1034 i was promised full-time ect only to be told 5 months later that i'm part-time and am not aloud to work 5 days a week, so that being said i've only been scheduled 3 days a week which makes it so i can't pay rent or my important bills. So if you plan on working at Walmart be sure you go through everything more than once to be sure you're not screwed over like i was along with more than a few other associates that i work with.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
everything else
Very fast paced environment with lots to do
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMay 21, 2016
A typical day at work consists of helping all customers with all their needs. Using the till to scan and bag all the items, being the self check out attendant, or being the customer service desk attendant are the alternating jobs I can be assigned for the day. Working at Walmart has provided me with the many life skills such as patience and independent work skills. The management team changes according to their performance, both management and my co-workers are great people to work with and very reliable. The hardest part of the job would be knowing there is a customer that is leaving the store unhappy/unsatisfied, the most enjoyable part of the job is making genuine connections with the customers.