Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,400 reviews matching the search
A productive workplace where helping customers is an asset.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB29 November 2016
My experiences at Walmart consisted of Cashier, Customer Service Associate, Customer Service Manager, Department Manager, and Floor Associate.
I have lots of experience assisting customers.
At the moment I am a Cashier and occasionally Customer Service Associate.
As a Customer Service Associate I have learned
- to answer the phone in a professional matter
- trying to stay calm in difficult situations
- do returns;and
- ring orders through the register.

As a Cashier I have learned
-to assist customers with groceries
-offer them a Walmart MasterCard;and
-being patient when the customer is learning to use the interact machine.

My coworkers are pleasant and do the same job as I do.
If have any problems, I know that I can go to a manager for assistants.
Pros
Benefits, Raise once a year
Cons
Wages and hours
Great enviroment to work at walmart. Co-workers were great people to work with! There was plenty to learn from them and everyone was helpful.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB11 August 2016
At Walmart i had the opportunity to grow with my career there. I enjoyed the raises and the advancement of my career in retail. The enviroment was friendly and the people were great. I had the opportunity to advancement only three months after starting my job due to my long hours and hard work i put into my area. i also volunteered my own time while working there when we were fundraising. The hours were good and i was able to work monday to friday so i enjoyed my weekends.
Pros
I loved all the raises! never have i worked at a place where i got 3 raises in one year.
Cons
I had alot of stuff to get done with too little time and not enough workers.
productive and a fun place to work.
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK14 October 2016
i would definitely tell my friends and family about this company as a good and awesome place to work. I learnt many new things from how to properly stock shelves,use the gun to make labels and scan products.The management team was awesome and always there for you to answer and question you needed answered or concern you needed to address. My co workers are mostly all friendly and easy to work with. I did really find this job that hard other than you are on your feet all day and if you don't have a good pair of shoes your feet will be sore by the end of the day. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of working here would be the benefits and perks working for Walmart.
Pros
friendly faces to work with.
Cons
nothing i can think of
Fun Happy place to work with family values
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2016
As a place to work in general my experience with Walmart has been a good one. That is until recently. Now I find myself looking for another place to work which will better relate to my family needs as new management that has come into that store is not very concerned about his employee's family welfare. The store I worked last at has become a very stressful environment compared to the other locations I have worked in. They do however have a worthwhile benefit package and 3 kinds of profit sharing available.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great company, advancement opportunities
Cons
Individual store managers may not identify with you
Managers are spinning and Corporate is unconcerned
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
I learned how to think for myself, how to regulate tasks and how to lead a team mostly through my typical day being the "reliable one" of my department. Management is mostly on the level, but as always favouritism is a problem and some managers and associates were too close and gained too many benefits from such relationships. Furthermore managers often showed themselves to be ineffective at even basic things such as maintaining the schedules and dealing with irate customers, often pawning off those management duties in low-rung associates. That said, the best part of the job was the ground-level staff, they are kind and welcoming and the job itself was quite simple, if unfulfilling.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Management particularly upper management being ineffective
Place of Opportunities
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 September 2016
The majority of workdays are fast paced and challenging. But I take each day at Walmart for self-development. Working at Walmart helped me in becoming a better team player. Moreover, it improved my ability to communicate with a variety of people from different background culture. I am highly praised as a good team player and for my abilities to lead with an example in all crunch scenarios at work. We make a strong friendly team at Walmart that can handle stress situations with ease. And interacting with new people each day makes this job more exciting.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Rotating Shifts for Part Timers
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 August 2016
A typical day at work required providing great advice regarding electronic products and excellent customer service. It required being able to multi task between helping out multiple customers and still managing to keep the store tidy. I ensured that the clients felt welcomed as soon as they entered the store. I processed payments and completed various other transactions on the P O S system. I was also responsible for the store inventory. Management was great. They never failed to respect me as an employee and always made sure I could come to them if I needed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people I met every day, some of which became regulars and friends.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours as per what I was looking for
Great organization with lots of potential for growth.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2016
10+ years progressive experience working in a retail environment. Proficient in overseeing store operations and achieving set goals, understanding marketplace needs and strategies needed to drive sales and ensuring proper merchandise presentation. Successful track record of controlling store expenses to maximize profitability. Effective skills in payroll planning and scheduling. Hands on experience in change management within growing retail landscape.

WORK EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead employees

• Proven ability to hire, select and train the right candidates

• Able to meet retail sales goals

• Excellent communication skills

• Results driven approach

• Good organizational skills and the ability to multitask
Pros
compensation
Cons
no worklife balance
Horrible environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
I'll start with the only pros. You get a good salary and 3 days off a week.

Now for the cons. There is no room for advancement. It's all about who you know not what you know. The management would always push targets but never follow up until the end. They would never listen to others opinions or ideas and if theirs failed if was everyone else's fault.

If the entire management team was replaced it would be a good place to work. Since that will never happen stay away from this place.
Pros
Salary
Cons
productive, busy, fast paced environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON6 July 2016
typical day at work involves being in a fast paced environment, work under pressure, and management. The day always has events that keep you on your toes such as math, customer service, and an abundance of small tasks to complete such a recovery and closing/day responsibilities. The co-workers are all a part of family, and are always so supportive, accepting, and helpful. The hardest part of the job I would find is having to sell the walmart rewards master card. The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of such a fun, accepting, loving, and challenging team of co-workers that look out for your best interest. Additional to this, is having to do the same job everyday, but having it much different by having a series of different people through your till with different backgrounds and stories to share.
Pros
raises
Cons
short scheduled
Not worth it
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 November 2016
The job isn't worth the wage they pay. They we're cutting job left and right to add them to other job description thus making it feel like you had two job yet only one and still paid minimum wage. The manager WILL write you up for the slight miss step and don't you dare take a sick day they'll write you up regardless that you are sick or not. You don't get benifits and have to fight to get hours.

The only enjoyable part of the job I had was I was able to talk to a lot of people and had team to work with otherwise the job gets repetitive real quick
Pros
Team, Social
Great management, Positive environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON16 November 2016
Honestly one of the best places i have worked at. i love my job there they give out decent amount of hours. great if your a student or an adult, if you have a problem they will help you solve it. the salary is on the lower side but its not supposed to be a high paying job, overall its a great job for hours and pay if your a person trying to make some money and i would definitely recommend them.

The typical day at work is serving customers,working with other employees, and keeping a clean work space

co workers there are extremely friendly and amazing to work with, they will be there when you need help and they are lots of fun to work with.
My experience at Walmart
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON24 November 2016
I have worked here for 2 years and have seen the best and worst, Walmart has to offer, in my experience here at Walmart I have a few things to say.

1. If you work hard you will be rewarded, however you must make sure it is noticed, working hard behind the scenes reap zero benefits.

2. Try to change areas often, if you get comfortable for too long you'll wind up stuck in that department, unless you enjoy your work, mix it up.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Only if you're managers favourite
I work with a lot of fun people
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2016
I manage the cashiers and the courtesy desk so I need to make sure that their tills get assigned and their breaks are done. I make sure that we keep the lines moving and I override prices for the customers when they say the price on the shelf is cheaper. I make sure that the cashiers have change and make decisions on returns being done with out a receipt. I love working with my co-workers as we have fun while doing our jobs. The hardest part is when we are running short staffed but I do everything I can to make the line ups move quickly. I have respect for my manager and managers of the other departments. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking with customers as we have a lot of regulars that come into our store.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Customers coming in 5 minutes before we close to do their shopping.
Minimum wage retail Job
Overnight Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 August 2016
First off I love to merchandise so as an overnight merchandiser, then manager I was able to pursue my passion. That being said company actions towards employees is what you would expect of any large corporation. The trouble that arises there is exactly the same problems you would run into at a fast food place or even a wine store.

Walmart does try to provide for their employees some additional benefits, they aren't as beneficial as one would like, but I've worked for companies that do less.

I enjoyed my time with my crew and will miss working with them.
I would work for them again given the opportunity.
Pros
yearly bonus, benefits for all employees, flexible scheduling
Cons
cut hours in winter, some unreasonable expectations for employees
Good workplace and friendly associates. Store standards position gave me alot of responsibilities and always had a job to do.
Store Standards Associate (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB4 December 2016
Wal-mart was a good job i enjoyed the work and the people along with it. I was always busy from my regular duties or from another employee in need. I had many responsibilities from my main duties collecting carts and relocating them inside, to maintaining the cleanliness of the store. Other responsibilities would require me to help another associate in his or her department if needed.
Pros
Always busy. Had great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours. No benefits.
This is a good starter job and part time - very stressful
In Stock Associate Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2016
"10% discount on all items in the store"
"Flexible schedules, 10% discount, Profit Sharing"

"Work life balance can be very challenging at times"
"They don't hire full time employees anymore so as to not give a lot of benefits"
Great people, good culture and atmosphere, and very relaxing job. Didn't feel like I was out of place or in any danger, and was generally just a chill job
Pros
Free Lunchs
Cons
Long Hours
Engaging and fast paced
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2016
Working with 280 associates in a fast paced retail environment that consistently exceeds all company goals and expectations. Customer service is paramount and the number one focus of each and every associate day in and out. A true engaging environment has caused a decrease in shrink and increase in sales and profitability. Leadership engagement + associate engagement = customer satisfaction
Pros
salary
Cons
work life balance
Great work exprience
Customer service specialist (electroncs) (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB9 September 2016
on a normal day it would be pretty slow the walmart that i worked at was in a very small town, but i learned how retail works and working with customers isnt that bad, youll get the angry person from time to time, thankfully i can handle them.
the hardest part of working at walamart was working with my co worker he was always rude to customers and they didnt like going to him so i had to take care of everyone,
the best part of the job was when there was something new to do where i had to learn it then teach it
Pros
IF* full time you get great health benefits and other perks
Cons
a barely livable wage
Poor management
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 October 2016
Working at Walmart in the beginning few years was fun management would come around and ask how you are doing. The philosophy changed to how much money can be made by the company in the later years. The don't pay well only minimum wage and advancement is nearly impossible. The manager had absolutely no clue as to what I had to do on a daily basis.
Pros
Discount card and good benifits
Cons
poor management