Walmart
37,979 reviews

Walmart Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very productive place to work at
Cashier (Current Employee), 3800 Memorial Dr E #1100 Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2014
Working at Walmart has given me the chance to understand the value of being fast and quick when serving customers. It has also given me the chance to advance my work ethic and communication skills with others. Working at Walmart is productive because it is a busy super centre and people are always coming in. The people who work there are very kind and – more... understanding to each other, it is a very welcoming place to work. – less
A very fantastic place of work; nice, friendly superiors and caring co-workers. Walmart is a place of work any human being would like to work at.
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Oakville, ONNovember 22, 2014
Pros: discount card and price matching. also profit sharing initiatives.
A very nice and conducive place of work. My customers and co-workers always make my day with their camaraderie. The hardest part of the day is when one encounters usually difficult customers; but since one has a very good disposition to others, one would always give them a benefit of doubt and interprete that as someone only having a bad day. Coupled – more... with one's training, one would turn the negatives into positives. – less
Good Benefits
First Shift In Stock (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONNovember 22, 2014
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: some overnights
Good company to work for. Decent wages good benefits including a stock options buying plans which is great. The management was always supportive and understanding with all individuals.
An average workplace that has some serious issues.
Customer Service Associate (Electronics) (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKNovember 22, 2014
Pros: 10% off all non-clearance items in store, very flexible work hours
Cons: few likable co-workers in my department, often stressful situations due to staffing problems in other areas
My time spent at Walmart can only be deemed average. The work itself is pretty good. I help customers with their problems in the electronics department as well as use the cash registers to make any sales. The aforementioned issues arise with the staff. While there are some good co-workers, there also quite a lot of staff that I personally had problems – more... with. The people I usually end up working with do not tend to do their jobs and instead focus on slacking off most of their shifts; causing me to have to do most of the work making it very hard for the work to be likable in any way. Upper management of the workplace is fairly good. However, they always seem to be busy due to lack of staff in other departments, thus making it harder for us to contact them. The hardest part of the job would be the amount of customers during the day. At most, my department would only get 2 people at a time, with one usually getting called to another department to help out. Having only one person in the department when there are customers left and right is very difficult to manage causing the customers to eventually get frustrated. The most enjoyable parts of the job would be the co-workers from other departments. I find it always enjoyable to converse with other co-workers during break times. The very flexible work hours also work well with my school schedule. – less
Fast and helpful most of the time with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee), mississauga,onNovember 21, 2014
Pros: work on sunday 1/2 hour lunch paid by the company.
Cons: regular hours
I deal with multicultural customers and busy scanning various items, price matching items and dealing with varieties of coupon's.
My customers are very happy most of the time they like my cheerfulness willing to help them when ever is needed. I learned to be patient most of the time and be compassionate with them.

My co-workers appreciate my kindness – more... when my co-worker is busy I always take some customers from them and help them when ever is needed.

Some customers show their frustration with me, most of the time I listen carefully to their complaints help them to get the item they need and they thank me later.

Most enjoyable part of the job is serving my customers with a smile.

I love to exercise on a tread mill everyday at least 50 minutes. – less
Busy Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2014
Busy workplace. Employees get 10% off on every purchase. which is great.
Steady and secure job with a few benefits
Maintenance Worker/Greeter (Current Employee), Dufferin MallNovember 21, 2014
Pros: job security, benefits
Cons: overnight shift, lazy coworkers
A typical day at work involves cleaning certain parts of the store, such as toilets, floors, carpets and throwing out the trash. Occasionally I am asked to help with stocking shelves and receiving grocery load.
If asked what the hardest part of the job is I would have to answer the maintenance of the carpets, however I have doing it for the past couple – more... years now and it has become second nature to me; the most enjoyable part are the breaks.
I feel that I have definitely picked up skills that are generally useful in life as well as transferable work skills, because you can pretty much be a cleaner at any place. Also, I enjoy the security of working for a company such as Walmart because of the job security it provides as well as certain benefits. – less
Fast paced, growing global retail giant
Vice-President (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 19, 2014
Pros: very busy. huge growth. global experience. strategic. nimble.
Cons: low cost operation with very limited investment into resources.
Excellent opportunity to be able to transform the Walmart supply chain for apparel. I gained tremendous experience leveraging the power of Walmart's global resources to drasticaly improve the end-to-end processes, systems and financial performance of the business unit.
Not flexible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Calgary ABNovember 18, 2014
I am a student, I started working at Walmart to try and make money for living when the year finished. They were not accomidating at all with the hours I needed, they gave me to many hours and I have been over worked to the point im so stressed out I cant even function properly.
Amazing team oriented company
Cashier (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, OntarioNovember 18, 2014
Walmart is a very team oriented company. They value the opinion of all workers and work towards the benefit of everyone.
Managers really listen to you and make you feel comfortable and welcome to express your concerns and opinions.
The overall atmosphere is great, everyone is friendly with each other as well with the customers.
It is hard when you are – more... first starting but everyone there is willing to help you out. When dealing with upset customers is not easy but the training they give really helps you make the situation better. Also, the managers are there to help you out.
The best part of the job is that everyone is so friendly and helpful and so you never feel left out or concern about not having anyone to help you out. – less
Great place to work, especially for students, as they are pretty flexible for the most part
Customer Service specialist (Current Employee), Marlborough, Calgary, A.B., CanadaNovember 18, 2014
A typical day at work consists mostly of returning products for costumers, doing western union and helping costumers with whatever questions or complaints they might have. Working at Walmart really teaches how to be patient and how to stay calm and professional no matter what costumers say to you or throw at you. Management is pretty great for the most – more... part, they take good care of the store and the employees. My co-workers were the best part about working at Walmart, everyone got along great and it felt like a big family. The hardest part of working in costumer service is definitely dealing with difficult costumers. It can be very difficult to stay professional when faced with a costumer who is yelling and swearing at you about something that is not your fault. As I've mentioned before, the highlight of my job was always my co-workers, we were really like a family. – less
Safe and Fun workplace
Costumer Service (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABNovember 18, 2014
Pros: paid 15min breaks, awesome lunch hours, discount in the instore mcdonalds
Cons: zoning the shelves every 30 minutes
I believe that the management and co-workers are really good. I enjoyed the interaction with the costumers very much when I worked there. I also learned how to deal with those everyday costumers and it was normal to have the same ones come in every second day to shop and buy meat.
friendly working environment and flexible schudules
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules and friendly environment
Cons: they do not provide so much hours
i really love Walmart where i am working right now. Most of my co_workers are so friendly and enthusiastic. We are ready to help each other when one of us got any trouble during working time without any hesitation. i also like the managers there because they deeply understand us. We are a big wonderful family in Walmart. After almost a half of year – more... working in Walmart,i have not got any difficulties or any complain about what i did. I enjoy what i am doing now. – less
For the pay, the work isn't worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Milton, ONNovember 18, 2014
Pros: co-workers fun to work with
Cons: more often than not, customers are mean and condescending
Typical day:
- assist cashiers during busy times
- clean, zone departments
- stock shelves
- provide customer service

managers don't know your name most of the time. A lot of favoritism occurs, so it is difficult to move up the company
Safe environment and a professionally delightful place to work
Stocking Assistant (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABNovember 17, 2014
Pros: learned many things
Cons: working for long hours is stressing
It was a pleasure working at walmart. I experienced and learned alot of new things there. The information about various products. Most importantly i learned organization skills. The management of Walmart is very well organized. The co-workers are well engaged in their duties and fulfill their duties with responsibility.
Better experience for me than a lot of other people I know who work there
Back-Up Lead Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 17, 2014
Pros: meet a lot of great people
Cons: difficult customers
Typical retail job, however, the pay is a bit more competitive than other retailers. If you're looking to work somewhere that will guarantee a lot of hours, and therefore, big paycheques relative to other retailers, then this is definitely the place to work. I always recommend it to students looking for a summer job, if they can put up with difficult – more... customers and are fine sacrificing their evenings and weekends.

Management will always support the customer when it comes to returns, which defeats the whole purpose of the store policy. You also hear a lot of contradictory things from management because it is such a large group of people. While I do feel like my voice is heard, I know there are a lot of others who do not feel this way--but this may have more to do with my assertiveness and my work ethic compared to others.

The best part of the job is, because there are so many employees, you are bound to make a lot of friendships. I've seen intimate relationships form at Walmart, and I myself have made lifelong friends here. This is a big motivational factor for a lot of the younger employees to continue working at Walmart, despite the difficulties they encounter.

Another benefit is that it is not difficult to move up in the company/shift job positions, just as long as strong members of management see you as a reliable and good worker--emphasis on this latter part of my statement. Depending on who you impress, and as long as you haven't committed any faults, moving up is fairly easy. However, there is a large majority of people who end up stuck in their primary position because employees' faults are remembered and are always looming over their heads. I myself have worked in multiple departments, as a cashier, as a customer service representative, and finally a customer service manager, with a promotion to back-up lead customer service manager.

Working here definitely teaches you patience, and how to comminucate with different types of people -- to put things nicely.

While I did mention that the pay was better than other retailers, I do wish the pay was better, by at least $2 more per hour. The job of customer service manager can be very physically and emotionally exhausting when you have cashiers and customer service representatives who do not know what they're doing and difficult customers. However, there are rare times where you'll have the most competent cashiers and customer service representatives and have no difficult customers, and you wish days like that came more often. – less
Simple mindless work
Customer service (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCNovember 17, 2014
Easy to do, poor hours, customers can be more aggressive, managers work on moral
Fun place to work
Photo Lab Technician (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABNovember 17, 2014
Pros: met a lot of people
Cons: long hours
work under pressure, make sure that product met the client standards.
I learned to work as a team and improved my customer service skills
Alright place to work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 16, 2014
It is an alright place to work. Management is okay, but could be greatly improved. I'm really good friends with many of my fellow co-workers, and enjoy working with them. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the lack of communication from my fellow associates as well as management, as well as having to complete 3+ skids on your own, which I don't – more... complain, and successfully complete. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with some my co-workers, as well as the fact that I can help customers and make them happy. – less
horrible work place
overnight stocker (Former Employee), regentNovember 15, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
pathetic excuse of management team
all managers try to out power each other
if you do something for 1 manager, another 1 will yell at you
helping customers in other departments is a huge NO
managers hate when you do more then expected for a customer
if a customer tells you, your more helpful then a veteran worker, that
worker will try to get you written – more... up
most stockers hide expired food(s) in the back of the shelves so they don't have to take time to properly discard it – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation – Read more