Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,380 reviews matching the search
Decent Job for a student
Cashier, Cosmetics, Fashion & Jewellery Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 November 2016
Management sucks. Even when you get prior approval for days off they mark you as absent, best thing to do is take a picture of your signed request form. Department mangers also pawn their work off on you, duty managers are to demanding and force you to complete work in other departments you are unfamiliar with, and they play games of favoritism. You basically have to bribe them to get your vacation time.
Pros
Decent starting job for students
Cons
Not worth your time and efforts
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
I was employed for over 4 years at this location. You do not get any addvancement unless you pucker up management's butt! The management wants you to go by WalMarts rules yet they bend them so bad for some employees and not for others. Jobs are suppose to be posted and yet all of them are not. The ones that are not posted for employees to all have a chance are handed to the kiss butt!
The store is dirty and a mess! You go down any given aisle and there is a mess!
The employees that put forth an effort and work their butts off do not get any recognition at all!
Would never work for this so called " we are family" ever again!
Pros
kiss butt and you will get far
Cons
won't get far, treated like dirt
Not worth it
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 November 2016
The job isn't worth the wage they pay. They we're cutting job left and right to add them to other job description thus making it feel like you had two job yet only one and still paid minimum wage. The manager WILL write you up for the slight miss step and don't you dare take a sick day they'll write you up regardless that you are sick or not. You don't get benifits and have to fight to get hours.

The only enjoyable part of the job I had was I was able to talk to a lot of people and had team to work with otherwise the job gets repetitive real quick
Pros
Team, Social
Toxic Work Environment
Store Standards (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 November 2016
At Walmart there are hard working employees and people that take great pride in doing a great job and going above and beyond for the customers.

Unfortunately all of their hard work goes to waste when you have have poor management. No rules are enforced, so when other employees are plainly not doing their job, the work load gets forced upon the hard working.

Plain and simple, this is not an employer that values it's employees. it does not value hard work, at the end of the day they do not care about you even if you are trying to make the store better.

Workers beware you're in for poor treatment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad Management, Hard work is punished rather than rewarded.
Horrible environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
I'll start with the only pros. You get a good salary and 3 days off a week.

Now for the cons. There is no room for advancement. It's all about who you know not what you know. The management would always push targets but never follow up until the end. They would never listen to others opinions or ideas and if theirs failed if was everyone else's fault.

If the entire management team was replaced it would be a good place to work. Since that will never happen stay away from this place.
Pros
Salary
Mixed
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 November 2016
I found that the people I worked with were very diverse but Walmart is definitely it's own community. The main issue was that the management, particularly the upper management, the were determined to hold themselves apart and above those that worked for them. The constant treatment of any employee as disposable, in the words of one of the upper management "Just bodies to fill spots that the computer generated systems says are needed." That was the most difficult part of working there.
Great store to work at. Management is great to work with.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON1 December 2016
At Walmart a typical day is getting right to work on the floor Walking through fashion what needs to be done such as making sure things are organized and presentable for the customers. Helping customers with their questions and concerns is a huge part of the job. Its important that they have they are helped and that they have a good shopping experience!
Pros
Having Christmas Lunch
Cons
Not enough staff. We need more people. The staff are spread too thin.
Good job for developing my skills in receiving and stocking products
Night Receiver (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 November 2016
In a typical day as the night shift receiver i am responsible for all deliveries which include bread, milk, eggs, chips, pop ect. Making sure the back room is clean and up to Wal Marts standards. Stocking shelves, maintaining communication with management on deliveries are also part of my job. I have a good relationship with my co workers , and management does their best to provide support and training when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing i got all my tasks done correctly and safely each night. The worst part of the job is the difficulty in moving upward in the company.
Pros
free muffins from mcdonalds on thursday
Cons
communication
Good place for work experience and nothing more.
Produce associate and Seasonal associate. (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON31 October 2016
Everyday at Wal-Mart is the same, If you are an Extrovert who likes fun and a social workplace you will not enjoy this place. People who work here are gloomy, grumpy and not friendly. The management team is a joke, they are unqualified and unfit to lead any sort of team. The work itself is manageable but having to deal with the managers and raging customers is unacceptable. It's ok If you're a collage or uni student who wants to make a little money during summer, I wouldn't suggest staying there longer than 3 months.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management Team, Customers, Overall environment
Decent job, rude coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 November 2016
During my time working at Walmart I experience some friendly coworkers but also came across some rather rude supervisors that were not on top of making sure their fellow coworkers are okay and slacking when cashiers are calling for help. Not only that, they talked down to everyone and never sent anyone on their breaks on time, they would have a habit of sending people on their breaks sometimes two hours late because they didn't organize the breaks properly according to when each cashier had started their shifts.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Long hours, rude supervisors, late breaks
Great management, Positive environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON16 November 2016
Honestly one of the best places i have worked at. i love my job there they give out decent amount of hours. great if your a student or an adult, if you have a problem they will help you solve it. the salary is on the lower side but its not supposed to be a high paying job, overall its a great job for hours and pay if your a person trying to make some money and i would definitely recommend them.

The typical day at work is serving customers,working with other employees, and keeping a clean work space

co workers there are extremely friendly and amazing to work with, they will be there when you need help and they are lots of fun to work with.
My experience at Walmart
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON24 November 2016
I have worked here for 2 years and have seen the best and worst, Walmart has to offer, in my experience here at Walmart I have a few things to say.

1. If you work hard you will be rewarded, however you must make sure it is noticed, working hard behind the scenes reap zero benefits.

2. Try to change areas often, if you get comfortable for too long you'll wind up stuck in that department, unless you enjoy your work, mix it up.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Only if you're managers favourite
working as a team player was fun
Overnight Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 November 2016
I gave 100% to my job. I worked with Walmart for almost four years then I was told by my doctor I had to find a different line of work because it was affecting my physical health. There was a lot of heavy lifting and bending which brought back a health issue that I received while pregnant with my youngest child. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and management team.
Pros
there was light duties offered if injured
Cons
wasn't able to see my family as much as I would have liked to
A very interesting workplace =)
Store Standard Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB31 October 2016
There is always plenty to do and when everyone does their share, things get done smoothly. Some of the things there can be tough but don't let the horror stories get to ya, Walmart Canada overall is a good place for a starting job. Just be warned that sometimes you will have to deal with rude customers or worst co-workers that don't do their share of work.
Pros
Good place to learn Retail
Cons
Hours can interfere with things like university
Walmart, is what it is.
2nd Instock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 November 2016
Working for the epitome of 'massive retail conglomerate' you definitely get what you would expect. A very large company, where you can virtually disappear, not knowing the majority of your co-workers and even some managers. In the 2nd Instock crew much is expected of you, and though its constant manual labor, its simple, and if you have a good crew around you it can be a lot of fun and a great environment.
Pros
low effort, low expectations
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Day at Walmart
Produce Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
I worked in the produce department at Walmart and I enjoyed it. I would start the day by first going to the lounge and saying hi to my coworkers and managers. Then you go to the department and pretty much stock the fruits and vegetables and assist customers with whatever they needed. You also had to keep it clean and take out the garbage and a variety of other chores. Overall it was fun when you and your coworkers are joking around and are getting everything done. It was not to straining on your body and the managers and supervisors treated you kindly. In an 8 hour shift we got two 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour lunch.
Pros
Lively environment, good coworkers/managers, good work pace.
Cons
Unpaid lunch, occasional salty customers.
Good opportunity, bad management/fellow employees
Promotions Agent for Advantage Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2016
This company was very absent in the happenings of the day to day job. Some insane woman who worked at Wal-Mart picked a fight with me over nothing and her gang of old crackheads harassed me while i was working in the store. My manager heard about this and fired me, as if anything about it was my fault. Incompetent management, poor trust between fellow employees. Other employees other than me wouldn't follow safety procedure, would leave early, etc. I felt like I was the only person doing a good job in the entire company. Poor.
Pros
Changing environment/products, independance
Cons
Absent management with poor decision making, poor work ethic from fellow employees
PT Cashier / Customer Service Specialist
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2016
To be honest, I've been here for the past 2 years and it was a great job at first but, then it just went downhill after management rotated around and the managers were not all that friendly and lenient with what you needed. The discount was hardly anything unless you bought something extravagant and, as well as asking about the WRMC was annoying at times too.
Pros
Long hours, 10% Discount, Profit Sharing
Cons
Lack of Communication with Management
Good job for anyone especially students or first time jobs
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 November 2016
Been working with Walmart for 3 years. I find the job good and fun to work with others. Job is not hard easy to work the tasks being asked. Friendly environment. Easy to take time off when needed. Wage is pretty good with raises every year. Also can get a profit share depending on sales.
Pros
Friendly working environment, can usually get any time off requests
Cons
Dont always get profit share
A varied work load
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON24 November 2016
Walmart presented me with a variety of work experience, largely due to the fact that they are consistently understaffed. The company touts respect for the individual, but the fact is that the management is largely a bunch of people that have come to Walmart as teens and "grown" with the company and haven't attained the educational experience to supervise their staff effectively. Everybody is miserable.
Pros
varied work experience
Cons
chaos