Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,403 reviews matching the search
Fun Happy place to work with family values
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2016
As a place to work in general my experience with Walmart has been a good one. That is until recently. Now I find myself looking for another place to work which will better relate to my family needs as new management that has come into that store is not very concerned about his employee's family welfare. The store I worked last at has become a very stressful environment compared to the other locations I have worked in. They do however have a worthwhile benefit package and 3 kinds of profit sharing available.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great company, advancement opportunities
Cons
Individual store managers may not identify with you
Great enviroment to work at walmart. Co-workers were great people to work with! There was plenty to learn from them and everyone was helpful.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB11 August 2016
At Walmart i had the opportunity to grow with my career there. I enjoyed the raises and the advancement of my career in retail. The enviroment was friendly and the people were great. I had the opportunity to advancement only three months after starting my job due to my long hours and hard work i put into my area. i also volunteered my own time while working there when we were fundraising. The hours were good and i was able to work monday to friday so i enjoyed my weekends.
Pros
I loved all the raises! never have i worked at a place where i got 3 raises in one year.
Cons
I had alot of stuff to get done with too little time and not enough workers.
Place of Opportunities
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 September 2016
The majority of workdays are fast paced and challenging. But I take each day at Walmart for self-development. Working at Walmart helped me in becoming a better team player. Moreover, it improved my ability to communicate with a variety of people from different background culture. I am highly praised as a good team player and for my abilities to lead with an example in all crunch scenarios at work. We make a strong friendly team at Walmart that can handle stress situations with ease. And interacting with new people each day makes this job more exciting.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Rotating Shifts for Part Timers
Sub-Par work experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 August 2016
I took on a part time job with Walmart, as an opportunity to experience a retail work environment. The Walmart culture pretends to be employee driven, when it is clearly sales and profit driven, at least at the local store level. Managers were inefficient, contradictory and lacked many key abilities for leadership. Store was routinely understaffed, instructions were very poor. I worked for three weeks without meeting my direct manager. In-fighting and personal issues interfered with tasks.
Pros
Possibility for advancement IF you don't question poor practices
Cons
Poor management, poor scheduling, understaffed, bad work culture.
Horrible environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
I'll start with the only pros. You get a good salary and 3 days off a week.

Now for the cons. There is no room for advancement. It's all about who you know not what you know. The management would always push targets but never follow up until the end. They would never listen to others opinions or ideas and if theirs failed if was everyone else's fault.

If the entire management team was replaced it would be a good place to work. Since that will never happen stay away from this place.
Pros
Salary
Cons
productive, busy, fast paced environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON6 July 2016
typical day at work involves being in a fast paced environment, work under pressure, and management. The day always has events that keep you on your toes such as math, customer service, and an abundance of small tasks to complete such a recovery and closing/day responsibilities. The co-workers are all a part of family, and are always so supportive, accepting, and helpful. The hardest part of the job I would find is having to sell the walmart rewards master card. The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of such a fun, accepting, loving, and challenging team of co-workers that look out for your best interest. Additional to this, is having to do the same job everyday, but having it much different by having a series of different people through your till with different backgrounds and stories to share.
Pros
raises
Cons
short scheduled
Excellent company culture.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 November 2016
Excellent company culture! Company is always changing and as a result I feel a lack of job security. Hours make work/life balance difficult but requests for time off are always accomodated. Challenging yet fun place to work!
Pros
Excellent peers, always busy, benefits and others perks.
Cons
Lack of work/life balance due to hours.
A productive workplace where helping customers is an asset.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB29 November 2016
My experiences at Walmart consisted of Cashier, Customer Service Associate, Customer Service Manager, Department Manager, and Floor Associate.
I have lots of experience assisting customers.
At the moment I am a Cashier and occasionally Customer Service Associate.
As a Customer Service Associate I have learned
- to answer the phone in a professional matter
- trying to stay calm in difficult situations
- do returns;and
- ring orders through the register.

As a Cashier I have learned
-to assist customers with groceries
-offer them a Walmart MasterCard;and
-being patient when the customer is learning to use the interact machine.

My coworkers are pleasant and do the same job as I do.
If have any problems, I know that I can go to a manager for assistants.
Pros
Benefits, Raise once a year
Cons
Wages and hours
This is a good starter job and part time - very stressful
In Stock Associate Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 October 2016
"10% discount on all items in the store"
"Flexible schedules, 10% discount, Profit Sharing"

"Work life balance can be very challenging at times"
"They don't hire full time employees anymore so as to not give a lot of benefits"
Great people, good culture and atmosphere, and very relaxing job. Didn't feel like I was out of place or in any danger, and was generally just a chill job
Pros
Free Lunchs
Cons
Long Hours
Good opportunity, bad management/fellow employees
Promotions Agent for Advantage Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2016
This company was very absent in the happenings of the day to day job. Some insane woman who worked at Wal-Mart picked a fight with me over nothing and her gang of old crackheads harassed me while i was working in the store. My manager heard about this and fired me, as if anything about it was my fault. Incompetent management, poor trust between fellow employees. Other employees other than me wouldn't follow safety procedure, would leave early, etc. I felt like I was the only person doing a good job in the entire company. Poor.
Pros
Changing environment/products, independance
Cons
Absent management with poor decision making, poor work ethic from fellow employees
Great co-workers, with a generally positive atmosphere.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON23 October 2016
Co-workers were a pleasure to work with and were very willing to help and educate others with on any aspect of the job. Customers were generally in good moods, and from my experience, the job did not require very much outside skill or education to master. Although, I found myself coming in a lot on my days off to cover shifts for call-ins and spent much of my time at work cleaning up after the associates who did not pull their weight. The general job culture offered leniency to many associates who did not have a very good work ethic, and did not have as much room for advancement as was promised. I really enjoyed all of the opportunities that were offered to me, and all of the advancement that I did receive. The hardest part of working at WAL-MART was dealing with the difficult or upset customers, especially when the store was busy. The management team at my store was not perfect, but did offer a very personal approach and had a generally very approachable demeanor. They would assist on the floor as necessary, and were very good at assigning tasks and working with associates to meet the needs of the customers.
Pros
Job security, Simple tasks, Great Co-workers.
Cons
Low-pay, Varying shifts, Low hours.
productive and a fun place to work.
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK14 October 2016
i would definitely tell my friends and family about this company as a good and awesome place to work. I learnt many new things from how to properly stock shelves,use the gun to make labels and scan products.The management team was awesome and always there for you to answer and question you needed answered or concern you needed to address. My co workers are mostly all friendly and easy to work with. I did really find this job that hard other than you are on your feet all day and if you don't have a good pair of shoes your feet will be sore by the end of the day. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of working here would be the benefits and perks working for Walmart.
Pros
friendly faces to work with.
Cons
nothing i can think of
Poor management
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 October 2016
Working at Walmart in the beginning few years was fun management would come around and ask how you are doing. The philosophy changed to how much money can be made by the company in the later years. The don't pay well only minimum wage and advancement is nearly impossible. The manager had absolutely no clue as to what I had to do on a daily basis.
Pros
Discount card and good benifits
Cons
poor management
Great job to start with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB3 November 2016
I love my job here in general but its all the unneccasary stuff we have to deal with that is what gives a rating of 3 stars overall. The area I am in is perfect for me,I'm knowledgeable in the products I sell. I feel as though management doesn't truly listen to our concerns, as me and my co workers in my department have been pleading to have proper coverage on closing shifts and nothing has been done about it. We have requested equipment that does not interfere with productivity but that also hasn't changed. Everyone who works part time or full time will agree we dont get paid enough to consider the job a career and I personally haven't seen oppurtunities to advance this job into a career. However aside all the negativity I love the people i work with and the work, sometimes tedious is great for someone looking for a part time/full time starter job.
Pros
Great staff, fair amount of breaks, good for stsrting out
Cons
Management doesn't adress concerns, not much for advancement.
Managers are spinning and Corporate is unconcerned
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
I learned how to think for myself, how to regulate tasks and how to lead a team mostly through my typical day being the "reliable one" of my department. Management is mostly on the level, but as always favouritism is a problem and some managers and associates were too close and gained too many benefits from such relationships. Furthermore managers often showed themselves to be ineffective at even basic things such as maintaining the schedules and dealing with irate customers, often pawning off those management duties in low-rung associates. That said, the best part of the job was the ground-level staff, they are kind and welcoming and the job itself was quite simple, if unfulfilling.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Management particularly upper management being ineffective
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 August 2016
A typical day at work required providing great advice regarding electronic products and excellent customer service. It required being able to multi task between helping out multiple customers and still managing to keep the store tidy. I ensured that the clients felt welcomed as soon as they entered the store. I processed payments and completed various other transactions on the P O S system. I was also responsible for the store inventory. Management was great. They never failed to respect me as an employee and always made sure I could come to them if I needed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people I met every day, some of which became regulars and friends.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours as per what I was looking for
Great organization with lots of potential for growth.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2016
10+ years progressive experience working in a retail environment. Proficient in overseeing store operations and achieving set goals, understanding marketplace needs and strategies needed to drive sales and ensuring proper merchandise presentation. Successful track record of controlling store expenses to maximize profitability. Effective skills in payroll planning and scheduling. Hands on experience in change management within growing retail landscape.

WORK EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead employees

• Proven ability to hire, select and train the right candidates

• Able to meet retail sales goals

• Excellent communication skills

• Results driven approach

• Good organizational skills and the ability to multitask
Pros
compensation
Cons
no worklife balance
Not worth it
2nd Shift Instock Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 November 2016
The job isn't worth the wage they pay. They we're cutting job left and right to add them to other job description thus making it feel like you had two job yet only one and still paid minimum wage. The manager WILL write you up for the slight miss step and don't you dare take a sick day they'll write you up regardless that you are sick or not. You don't get benifits and have to fight to get hours.

The only enjoyable part of the job I had was I was able to talk to a lot of people and had team to work with otherwise the job gets repetitive real quick
Pros
Team, Social
Cons
The company is understanding and takes care of their employees.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON2 September 2016
Is very diverse in culture, and pays good money. The managers and staff are easy to be around. Do not give many shifts but when given shifts, they are too long. Walmart does not work out the employee's break times well and they are rushed breaks.
Pros
nice management
Productive Workplce
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 August 2016
Walmart is great when it comes to training you and its great to university students. If you do your job well there is room for advancement in the company. I've been working there since last year and I have already been trained for courtesy desk. The staff from the supervisors to the employees are great. Management is very professional yet friendly. A typical day of work is being on a till for 3-4 hours and being on courtesy desk for 2 hours.You learn how to multi task well as well as the supervising staff is great at helping you with anything you may need.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Selling the Walmart mastercards