Walmart Employee Reviews

Found 4,747 reviews matching the search
Horrible environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
I'll start with the only pros. You get a good salary and 3 days off a week.

Now for the cons. There is no room for advancement. It's all about who you know not what you know. The management would always push targets but never follow up until the end. They would never listen to others opinions or ideas and if theirs failed if was everyone else's fault.

If the entire management team was replaced it would be a good place to work. Since that will never happen stay away from this place.
Pros
Salary
Great Place To Work
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON14 February 2017
Very laid back environment with lots of chances for advancement/change of responsibility. Walmart focuses on in-house hiring, so if you have a degree/diploma in a field that Walmart offers while working there, you'd looked at first for eligibility. Annual raises as well as chances to change your position as frequently as the jobs are posted. A lot of micromanagement, but that's to be expected with a corporate chain such as Walmart.
Inclusive, upbeat, friendly environment
Cashier/Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 February 2017
Walmart has an inclusive and diverse workplace culture with great incentives for the employees, easy-to-talk-to management staff and special occasions for staff appreciation. Typically a day in the life of a cashier is finding out which register you are assigned to for your shift, making sure it is stocked with all the supplies you will need for your shift and spending your shift processing customer purchases. The hardest part is the standing, bending, reaching for long periods of time but mats are provided to help alleviate stress on your back, hips and legs. I injured my hand at work and learned that Walmart is very big on providing modified shifts so that you can retain a paycheck while you are healing. Loved that!!
Pros
Free coffee, employee discount
Cons
Standing for long periods
Place of Opportunities
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 September 2016
The majority of workdays are fast paced and challenging. But I take each day at Walmart for self-development. Working at Walmart helped me in becoming a better team player. Moreover, it improved my ability to communicate with a variety of people from different background culture. I am highly praised as a good team player and for my abilities to lead with an example in all crunch scenarios at work. We make a strong friendly team at Walmart that can handle stress situations with ease. And interacting with new people each day makes this job more exciting.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Rotating Shifts for Part Timers
lots of hard work and it was full time with benefits
Shoe Manager (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB31 January 2017
I was a shoe manager when I finished with walmart
I was responsible for taking care of the entire shoe department and the four employees under me I did scheduing and training putting out stock changing prices inventory helping customers and supporting the stores management team with running the store.

management was alright at first but then the decided to down size and certain departments were phased out. one of those departments was shoes

the culture at walmart was good everyone helped everyone

the hardest part of the job was triing to find a balance between stocking my department and helping to run the store.

I loved working in shoes and I the people I worked with.
Pros
we had saftey lunches and a social commitee so we had fun with those events that they organized
Cons
unrealistic expectations from the new management
No appreciation
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 January 2017
Management changes all the time, really is a hit or miss. Not appreciated at all, even when you go above and beyond your job description. Associates are all pretty good people, some of them will come to you with concerns, as many don't seem to trust management and the "open door policy" (Open door policy is a policy that allows anyone to freely speak without fear of consequences, judgement, etc.) Lack of communication between LP and management most times. However, lots of freedom, making your own schedule, management barely notices when you're in (could be a pro or con). Home office/DLPMs always add to your job description with no sort of appreciation, compensation, etc.
Pros
Training, Freedom, Make you own schedule, Discount card, Building Police relationships
Cons
Management, Lack of recognition, No hands on policy, Added stress, New policies/jobs added all the time
Great if you just need a part-time job
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2017
Most people working here only use it as an entry-level job (students), a stepping stone if lacking experience, or a second job. Policies and procedures are not very structured, so your experience will very greatly depending on the type of co-workers and managers you have. Unfortunately, there is a high turnover rate, and the good people usually get better jobs, so you are left with the not-so-good nor educated higher ups

There was insufficient training and very poor communication in my department, leading to conflict. Most management do not care about employees. They only care about meeting sales goals and keeping their own jobs
Pros
Schedule and position flexibility, advancement opportunities
Cons
No structure, poor management, profit-centred
Fast Paced, Continuous Improvement, Driven to be the best
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON20 December 2016
Managing within Walmart's Canadian distribution is working within a very Fast paced environment that demands Continuous process improvement.
They are dedicated to achieving the Clients demands and to simply be the worlds very best logistics provider Worldwide.
The Distribution set up demands that you work very closely across a cross functional team to achieve success.
I enjoyed the years I worked for Walmart and benefited from the demands of both the Client and the internal relations with associates helping me to evolve and hone my skills as a Manager.
Pros
Education, Vacation Pay, Company matched Pension, Strong Benefits, team enviroment
Cons
Long Hours, Hefty demands, Constant Change
Very productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC26 January 2017
Walmart was overall a wonderful first job.The work itself was very tiring, you had to constantly be working and dealing with customers. Walmart, Kirkland is a very busy place considering it is one of the biggest and busiest in all of Quebec. It taught me a lot on how to handle tough situations quickly and also how to manage my time wisely. Having this job was a great opportunity and kept me learning new things every single day. My least favorite part was that management wasn't too considerate about their employees lives beyond work place. They overall weren't easily approachable (not all of them but most of them)
Pros
Free lunchs, Bonus paychecks, Benefits
Cons
Long, very busy hours.
Walmart has a great work environment that has a family like atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 January 2017
- A typical day would consist of a routine of checks that had to be completed by end of day that related to the store as a whole, but there were also tasks that need to be completed in our specific areas. These included leading and coaching associates as well as reviewing the proper reports.
- I have learnt a lot through my time with Walmart, Time management skills, leadership skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
- Management through Walmart has always been helpful and understanding, they are there to help lead and guide me to the person I have become today.
- Workplace culture is a priority focus of Walmart. We always try to engage the associates to provide a fun dynamic work experience
- The hardest part of my job was the fact that I had to leave, I left to move to Nova Scotia, to be with my fiance.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere, It was work oriented as well as people oriented.
Fun Happy place to work with family values
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2016
As a place to work in general my experience with Walmart has been a good one. That is until recently. Now I find myself looking for another place to work which will better relate to my family needs as new management that has come into that store is not very concerned about his employee's family welfare. The store I worked last at has become a very stressful environment compared to the other locations I have worked in. They do however have a worthwhile benefit package and 3 kinds of profit sharing available.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great company, advancement opportunities
Cons
Individual store managers may not identify with you
Fast Paced Workplace
Cashier and Customer Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 December 2016
A typical work day at Walmart is face paced and most time stressful. Being able to have patience and hard working ethic is a must. I have learned a lot at Walmart in the past 3 and a half years i have worked there. learning to control my patience and learning to be a fast efficient worker were the main things. Management at Walmart really depends on the manger themselves some are very hard working respectable people and then there are some that are the opposite and don"t have the personalities or code of ethics to have the manager position they do. The benefits of working at Walmart is the breaks and profit sharing bonus. Walmart gives more breaks then most places do and profit sharing is a really nice thing for them to do for their employees at the end of the year. I really do enjoy my coworkers, a lot of them are like family to me and we get along very well.
Pros
Breaks, and Profit Sharing
Cons
Select Management
Excellent company culture.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 November 2016
Excellent company culture! Company is always changing and as a result I feel a lack of job security. Hours make work/life balance difficult but requests for time off are always accomodated. Challenging yet fun place to work!
Pros
Excellent peers, always busy, benefits and others perks.
Cons
Lack of work/life balance due to hours.
Great enviroment to work at walmart. Co-workers were great people to work with! There was plenty to learn from them and everyone was helpful.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB11 August 2016
At Walmart i had the opportunity to grow with my career there. I enjoyed the raises and the advancement of my career in retail. The enviroment was friendly and the people were great. I had the opportunity to advancement only three months after starting my job due to my long hours and hard work i put into my area. i also volunteered my own time while working there when we were fundraising. The hours were good and i was able to work monday to friday so i enjoyed my weekends.
Pros
I loved all the raises! never have i worked at a place where i got 3 raises in one year.
Cons
I had alot of stuff to get done with too little time and not enough workers.
lots to always do and be working on, fun people to work with, 10% discount,
Baker (Current Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB11 January 2017
Wal-Mart is a fairly easy place to work. The people there are in general are friendly and easy to work with. Teamwork is fairly normal in this area of work. I am constantly doing something and this job can be very high pace. I enjoy always having something to do at this job and being able to keep busy. The management i find can at times be impersonal and uncaring towards employees. There are zero benefits and i domt agree with how much waist there is at this business but other than that it is a good and friendly place to work.
Pros
10% discount, good people to work with in general
Cons
impersonal and poor managment
It was a very Fast paced but fun experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 February 2017
Working at Wal-Mart was my most successful career thus far. I genuinely enjoyed working there because they find a good balance between work life and personal life. They gave good hours and were flexible with the schedule that was made.

The coworkers were also fun people to work with that made my job fun. These things all made me want to come to work. Also, the customers at Wal-Mart were also very nice people.

I rarely had any conflicts with customers because I know how to diffuse a situation and properly listen to the customer explaining their problem.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Great co-workers, with a generally positive atmosphere.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON23 October 2016
Co-workers were a pleasure to work with and were very willing to help and educate others with on any aspect of the job. Customers were generally in good moods, and from my experience, the job did not require very much outside skill or education to master. Although, I found myself coming in a lot on my days off to cover shifts for call-ins and spent much of my time at work cleaning up after the associates who did not pull their weight. The general job culture offered leniency to many associates who did not have a very good work ethic, and did not have as much room for advancement as was promised. I really enjoyed all of the opportunities that were offered to me, and all of the advancement that I did receive. The hardest part of working at WAL-MART was dealing with the difficult or upset customers, especially when the store was busy. The management team at my store was not perfect, but did offer a very personal approach and had a generally very approachable demeanor. They would assist on the floor as necessary, and were very good at assigning tasks and working with associates to meet the needs of the customers.
Pros
Job security, Simple tasks, Great Co-workers.
Cons
Low-pay, Varying shifts, Low hours.
Great job to start with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB3 November 2016
I love my job here in general but its all the unneccasary stuff we have to deal with that is what gives a rating of 3 stars overall. The area I am in is perfect for me,I'm knowledgeable in the products I sell. I feel as though management doesn't truly listen to our concerns, as me and my co workers in my department have been pleading to have proper coverage on closing shifts and nothing has been done about it. We have requested equipment that does not interfere with productivity but that also hasn't changed. Everyone who works part time or full time will agree we dont get paid enough to consider the job a career and I personally haven't seen oppurtunities to advance this job into a career. However aside all the negativity I love the people i work with and the work, sometimes tedious is great for someone looking for a part time/full time starter job.
Pros
Great staff, fair amount of breaks, good for stsrting out
Cons
Management doesn't adress concerns, not much for advancement.
Poor management
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 October 2016
Working at Walmart in the beginning few years was fun management would come around and ask how you are doing. The philosophy changed to how much money can be made by the company in the later years. The don't pay well only minimum wage and advancement is nearly impossible. The manager had absolutely no clue as to what I had to do on a daily basis.
Pros
Discount card and good benifits
Cons
poor management
Sub-Par work experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 August 2016
I took on a part time job with Walmart, as an opportunity to experience a retail work environment. The Walmart culture pretends to be employee driven, when it is clearly sales and profit driven, at least at the local store level. Managers were inefficient, contradictory and lacked many key abilities for leadership. Store was routinely understaffed, instructions were very poor. I worked for three weeks without meeting my direct manager. In-fighting and personal issues interfered with tasks.
Pros
Possibility for advancement IF you don't question poor practices
Cons
Poor management, poor scheduling, understaffed, bad work culture.